ADVERTISEMENT

QB Open For Discussion

There are only 3 draft grades:
- 1st Round
- 2nd Round
- Return to School

Boykin and Claypool received the same draft grade, “Return to School”.

Boykin was actually the better WR in 2018
(though Claypool has more raw talent)

And Claypool could have a better NFL career than Floyd (maybe) due to Floyd’s alcoholism. But Claypool is still no where near as talented as Floyd. Not even close.

That contention of yours gets more idiotic nand hysterical every time you say it.
He will run a similar 40, already bigger, stronger, better jumping, bigger hands...... Talent is there, hasn't all come together with offensive plan and utilization yet like i hoped. I hope it does, nd needs it.

And back to Avery. He has speed. We need speed on offense. How can Avery's role be upgraded in the 2019 offense? Can he a viable offense weapon?
Where have you seen the unique speed from him, i saw average speed at RB from him?

Good comparison. Kamara comes in with Derrick Henry on a team that had TJ Yeldon and Kenyan Drake. Great comparison. 3 NFL RBs on the roster and the #1 RB recruit with him. Kamara was by Sabans account doing really well and then got injured, and decided to transfer because of the log jam and not being comfortable at BAMA (Do i need to post a link to help out?). Dex comes in with CJ Procise (converted WR), Folston solid RB, but not NFL caliber, and with Adams a 3 star often injured.

I

So Dex and 2 NFL RBs in front of him (Prosise and Adams) while Kamara he 3.

Kamara is arguably the most talented RB in all of the NFL....and saban still benched him.
Why?
Because Kamara wasn’t being coachable.

So what is it?
Is Alvin Kamara, most talented RB in the NFL, not talented enough?
Or is Saban not one of these elite coaches??

Really looking forward to your next excuse....

L
O
L

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orl...cle_4e752202-c6a4-11e7-b6b8-b31169a2c4d5.html

Here you go, he didn't get benched at bama, he was actually supposed to contribute heavily until injury. Here are actual comments from bama on how he was doing, and from kamara on why he left.

Yes other coaches play the talent more than some coaches, it's all on the program and locker room you want to have. A coach that makes the most talented players have to be as good in every detail as the serniors, i'll show you a coach that can't go too far. Saban, dabo, meyer, etc etc etc help out and push their talented players more to get them ready to play more. Its like that in all championship level sports, again, talent wins games.

Look at Kelly’s comments on Dex...noncoach ever comes of and says “get our head out of your ass and toughen up”

If you followed football at all, you’d know that Kamara got processed for milking injuries and not being coachable enough for Saban.

So tell me....
Was Alvin Kamara, most talented RB in the NFL, not talented enough to start?
Or is Saban not one of those elite coaches??

Can’t wait for your next excuse.....

L
O
L

He will run a similar 40, already bigger, stronger, better jumping, bigger hands...... Talent is there, hasn't all come together with offensive plan and utilization yet like i hoped. I hope it does, nd needs it.

Claypool doesn’t have anywhere near Floyd’s speed, quickness, explosion, body control, or hands.

Only thing Claypool has over floyd is 1-2 inches in height and 15lbs in weight.

Floyd is soooo much more talented, making a comparison is laughably stupid
(so it’s not surprising that you keep doing it)

I want Claypool to succeed at ND too, by he’s not even close to the level of Michael Floyd.

And back to Avery. He has speed. We need speed on offense. How can Avery's role be upgraded in the 2019 offense? Can he a viable offense weapon?

It all comes down to how much he can improve his RB technique (how he carries the ball, seeing the holes, getting north south, etc) and how much strength he can add....especially in his lower body.

I actually liked the game-to-game improvement I saw from him, prior to Dexter’s return.

If he really makes strides, I think he could compete with Tony Jones and Jahir Smith for a backup/rotational role, behind Armstrong.

Look at Kelly’s comments on Dex...noncoach ever comes of and says “get our head out of your ass and toughen up”

If you followed football at all, you’d know that Kamara got processed for milking injuries and not being coachable enough for Saban.

So tell me....
Was Alvin Kamara, most talented RB in the NFL, not talented enough to start?
Or is Saban not one of those elite coaches??

Can’t wait for your next excuse.....

L
O
L
Saban is quoted as saying he was going to contribute a lot until injuries. Bama is not lacking in the elite talent at RB. Yeldon, Drake, Henry were playing infront of him. 2nd round, 3rd round, 2nd round nfl picks. They were not lacking talent and quality play from the RB spot. ND has been lacking. The last two years it's been a 1 horse show for ND at RB, that does not lead to consistent play. Amrstrong was almost what we needed in 2018, but it was his first year playing RB. A true 1-2 punch in dex and adams in 2017 would have helped out a lot.

I absolutely agree that kids need to earn playing time but it's on the player AND coach to get the most talented players ready to play. I feel ND struggles here under Kelly. It takes a little too long for our skill players to be ready in the Kelly system.

It all comes down to how much he can improve his RB technique (how he carries the ball, seeing the holes, getting north south, etc) and how much strength he can add....especially in his lower body.

I actually liked the game-to-game improvement I saw from him, prior to Dexter’s return.

If he really makes strides, I think he could compete with Tony Jones and Jahir Smith for a backup/rotational role, behind Armstrong.
I agree with you in past that RB is not the most important position, but with Davis, Jones, or Smith as our backup we are losing a lot i mean a lot of opportunities for explosive plays. I have high hopes for Armstrong, but he has a good bit to develop still. To me, although he's not super explosive, Kyren is such a natural football player I hope he builds his way up to the backup role by beating out those you mention. If davis and armstrong can get PT their first year after a position switch, a true frosh Natural RB should be able to make an impact. Kyren isn't extremely explosive, he's just so well balanced and so skilled he can do things without slowing down, it helps make up for his lack of elite speed.

Saban is quoted as saying he was going to contribute a lot until injuries. Bama is not lacking in the elite talent at RB. Yeldon, Drake, Henry were playing infront of him. 2nd round, 3rd round, 2nd round nfl picks. They were not lacking talent and quality play from the RB spot. ND has been lacking. The last two years it's been a 1 horse show for ND at RB, that does not lead to consistent play. Amrstrong was almost what we needed in 2018, but it was his first year playing RB. A true 1-2 punch in dex and adams in 2017 would have helped out a lot.

I absolutely agree that kids need to earn playing time but it's on the player AND coach to get the most talented players ready to play. I feel ND struggles here under Kelly. It takes a little too long for our skill players to be ready in the Kelly system.

You’re getting closer.
Backing off your earlier position was a smart choice.

It is on both the player and the coach to get talented players on the field.

But if a talented player won’t dontheir part, as Dex wouldn’t for 3+ years, then there is nothing that any coach can do.

That’s why Saban processed Kamara, despite his obviously immense talent. Kamara just wouldn’t do his part.

Now just finish admitting how pathetically wrong you were throughout this thread, and we’ll be done here!!

You’re sooooo close.....

Reactions: Pennick4
I agree with you in past that RB is not the most important position, but with Davis, Jones, or Smith as our backup we are losing a lot i mean a lot of opportunities for explosive plays. I have high hopes for Armstrong, but he has a good bit to develop still. To me, although he's not super explosive, Kyren is such a natural football player I hope he builds his way up to the backup role by beating out those you mention. If davis and armstrong can get PT their first year after a position switch, a true frosh Natural RB should be able to make an impact. Kyren isn't extremely explosive, he's just so well balanced and so skilled he can do things without slowing down, it helps make up for his lack of elite speed.

I don’t think we’re losing opportunities for explosive plays, at all.

First of all, Armstrong is very explosive. He’s nearly as explosive as Dex, while also being bigger and much more versatile. And he’s just as proven coming into 2019 as Dex was coming into 2018
(More proven, when you consider he’s not suspended)

Next, Davis is plent explosive to be a very useful backup or rotational RB. He’s just as explosive and athletic as Kyren, at least. He may well be much stronger too, given it will be his 3rd year of CFB.

Finally, while neither Jones nor Smith are explosive, both showed that they can be solid P5 RBs, if used right.
Heck, Jones was on pace for 1100+ yards at 5+ YPC before Dexter’s return.

We need a lot of development at RB, but the hand-wringing there is unnecessary, imo.

We’re no worse off at RB than we were heading into 2018....which turned out quite well.

Now, it would be nice to upgrade the recruiting at RB. Hopefully we’ll see that with Taylor.

Reactions: NDlb46
You’re getting closer.
Backing off your earlier position was a smart choice.

It is on both the player and the coach to get talented players on the field.

But if a talented player won’t dontheir part, as Dex wouldn’t for 3+ years, then there is nothing that any coach can do.

That’s why Saban processed Kamara, despite his obviously immense talent. Kamara just wouldn’t do his part.

Now just finish admitting how pathetically wrong you were throughout this thread, and we’ll be done here!!

You’re sooooo close.....
That's the difference i'm talking about. If kamara got processed as you claim that's how you handle someone that isn't acting like a team player and doing what they need to do. He didn't play at bama when he was clearly talented enough to. Dex played sparingly for 3 years when he was the best RB on the roster. How the best coaches do it, if you're in a position to play 1 play you're in a position to play every play if good enough. With kelly, it sure seems like some players will just get a few plays to keep them happy or who knows why. You either are prepared to play or you are not, there is no in between. Kelly finds the in between with a lot of young talented players and in my opinion slows down their development.

I do need to give kelly his props as well though, he's done some awesome position changes to help the RB position.

But he also wanted Zeke at Safety......... Tears

Only fan base in the world clamoring for a QB competition when their returning QB just won team MVP--who finished top 10 in every important passing category, while having almost no weapons in passing game--and is a favorite for the heisman trophy in 2019. SMH.
That's because it's clearly Ian's fault we lost to Clemson. It has nothing to do with the poor preparation constantly shown by Brian Kelly, or the horrible play calling by Long in the most important games.

That's because it's clearly Ian's fault we lost to Clemson. It has nothing to do with the poor preparation constantly shown by Brian Kelly, or the horrible play calling by Long in the most important games.
fair to say his performance was the biggest factor in NDs anemic offense that day. how do YOU know the preparation was poor ? are you basing that opinion on the outcome of the game ? if so thats pretty dumb. with 2 minutes to go in the first half Clemson had a 9-3 lead. had ND been as poorly prepared as you suggest one would think Clemson would have been running roughshod on them from the opening kickoff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelso86
fair to say his performance was the biggest factor in NDs anemic offense that day. how do YOU know the preparation was poor ? are you basing that opinion on the outcome of the game ? if so thats pretty dumb. with 2 minutes to go in the first half Clemson had a 9-3 lead. had ND been as poorly prepared as you suggest one would think Clemson would have been running roughshod on them from the opening kickoff.
I'm basing it on the team's performance in every big game they've played with Brian Kelly. Again it's not just about the losses, the team simply isn't ready to play.

As far as the Clemson game, there were plenty of chances that Notre Dame didn't take advantage of early, dropped passes and a fumble by Book gave Clemson early momentum.

I'm basing it on the team's performance in every big game they've played with Brian Kelly. Again it's not just about the losses, the team simply isn't ready to play.

As far as the Clemson game, there were plenty of chances that Notre Dame didn't take advantage of early, dropped passes and a fumble by Book gave Clemson early momentum.
so how does that indicate they weren't "ready " to play ? define "ready to play " ? are you saying a team wasn't ready to play if they aren't successful ? think Bama was ready for Clemson ? were the Rams ready for New England ? equating preparation based on outcome is really silly. you're basically saying every team that loses a sporting event wasn't prepared.

so how does that indicate they weren't "ready " to play ? define "ready to play " ? are you saying a team wasn't ready to play if they aren't successful ? think Bama was ready for Clemson ? were the Rams ready for New England ? equating preparation based on outcome is really silly. you're basically saying every team that loses a sporting event wasn't prepared.
When teams constantly make blunders in big games that loses them momentum, that falls in the coach. It's not "all the players fault" like you constantly make it out to be. It's up to the coach to get his teams ready to play and to drill fundamentals into them so that they limit mistakes in big games. This isn't peewee football, he makes millions of dollars as the head coach of Notre Dame. When his team scores 3 points with a month to prepare and looks lost while doing it, the honus is going to fall on him like it or not.

When teams constantly make blunders in big games that loses them momentum, that falls in the coach. It's not "all the players fault" like you constantly make it out to be. It's up to the coach to get his teams ready to play and to drill fundamentals into them so that they limit mistakes in big games. This isn't peewee football, he makes millions of dollars as the head coach of Notre Dame. When his team scores 3 points with a month to prepare and looks lost while doing it, the honus is going to fall on him like it or not.
nice backpedal. it was a 6 point game with two minutes to go in the first half. i absolutely guarantee ND prepared for that game just as they did for every other one. you really think they didn't practice fundamentals ? c'mon. once the game starts players need to make the plays when the opportunities present themselves. are you really pinning dropped passes, penalties and fumbles on the coach ? the loss is on kelly of course as he makes the most money and no one records wins or losses on players or assistant coaches stats.but to deem a team unprepared because of the outcome is silly. again a six point game with two minutes to go in the first half. the Clemson players made the plays when the opportunities presented themselves. The ND players did not. the better team won. Had Saban been coaching ND they still lose. Clemson was significantly better.

Motta was pretty good.....;)
6f1ed1402f607859f9d562fa8cd52fcb.jpg

Reactions: echowaker

Kelly has performed well in many big games. He has not performed as well in the big games where each team has 4 to 5 weeks to prepare.

ND vs Clemson defensive preparation was excellent. Our best player on D going out absolutely changed the ball game for our Defense.

As for Offense, Chase had his second or third drop of the season, so that was very uncharacteristic. Book just played flat out awful, so it's difficult to say how the preparation was for the entire offense. We can definitely say though our QB position was not prepared properly and there clearly was no second option if option 1 didn't work out.

Kelly has performed well in many big games. He has not performed as well in the big games where each team has 4 to 5 weeks to prepare.

ND vs Clemson defensive preparation was excellent. Our best player on D going out absolutely changed the ball game for our Defense.

As for Offense, Chase had his second or third drop of the season, so that was very uncharacteristic. Book just played flat out awful, so it's difficult to say how the preparation was for the entire offense. We can definitely say though our QB position was not prepared properly and there clearly was no second option if option 1 didn't work out.
Ultimately the performance of the team in big bowl games falls on the head coach. It's like that everywhere in the country, there are zero reasons for anyone to argue this. It's literally inarguable.

That's the difference i'm talking about. If kamara got processed as you claim that's how you handle someone that isn't acting like a team player and doing what they need to do. He didn't play at bama when he was clearly talented enough to. Dex played sparingly for 3 years when he was the best RB on the roster. How the best coaches do it, if you're in a position to play 1 play you're in a position to play every play if good enough. With kelly, it sure seems like some players will just get a few plays to keep them happy or who knows why. You either are prepared to play or you are not, there is no in between. Kelly finds the in between with a lot of young talented players and in my opinion slows down their development.

Notre Dame doesn't ever "process" players, even if they're not practing or preparing how they need to.

So what you've just suggested is impossible at ND, regardless of who the coach is.

Try again
(but this time, do better)

Dex wasn't ready to be an every down RB at ND, because he had his head up his ass and wasn't preparing/learning what was necessary to do that.

So he was allowed to play the few plays he was capable of, until such a time as he got his head out of his ass.

At Bama, he may well have been "processed" out before that ever happened.

So since we can't do that at ND......are you actually advocating for ND to play these "talented but unwilling" players LESS than we already are?

Dex wasn't ready to be an every down RB at ND, because he had his head up his ass and wasn't preparing/learning what was necessary to do that.

So he was allowed to play the few plays he was capable of, until such a time as he got his head out of his ass.

At Bama, he may well have been "processed" out before that ever happened.

So since we can't do that at ND......are you actually advocating for ND to play these "talented but unwilling" players LESS than we already are?
If players aren't willing to practice and try to improve and also are not good teammates or for the team you absolutely get rid of them. These aren't 10 year olds, they know they need to practice to play. If the issue is a talented player isn't grasping a concept or needs to improve on something, you spend EXTRA time and effort with that individual because you need their talent to be on the field.

Also, ND has absolutely ran off bad seeds on NDs teams.

Where have you seen the unique speed from [Davis], i saw average speed at RB from him?
Kyren isn't extremely explosive, he's just so well balanced and so skilled he can do things without slowing down, it helps make up for his lack of elite speed.

BK believes both Davis and Kyren are as fast as Dexter. He said this after the early signing period:

"I would say Kyren is similar in terms of speed, but he’s a different back than Dexter,” Kelly said. “He doesn’t have the size that Dexter has (5-11, 215). Avery (Davis) has that kind of speed. And look, we’re high on our backs — Jafar (Armstrong), Tony (Jones Jr.), our young backs (freshmen C’Bo Flemister and Jahmir Smith)." (link can be found here.)

Davis reminds me a little of Amir Carlisle. Amir was fast but it was mostly straight-line fast and he had trouble keeping his feet under him. He went down easily after first contact. Cierre Wood was like that in his first couple of years. He was a bit of a spaz when he got the ball and would try to run faster than his feet could grip the ground. I think Davis is a bit of a spaz too. He has similar troubles keeping his feet. He also has trouble gripping the ball. And both of those problems are compounded by the fact he is a little undersized. The coaches have said the goal is for him to add good weight so that he can handle contact better. He also needs to learn patience. If he does those two things he could develop into a decent back.

If Kyren does have the same type of speed as DW then he might be explosive. We'll have to wait and see.

BK believes both Davis and Kyren are as fast as Dexter. He said this after the early signing period:

"I would say Kyren is similar in terms of speed, but he’s a different back than Dexter,” Kelly said. “He doesn’t have the size that Dexter has (5-11, 215). Avery (Davis) has that kind of speed. And look, we’re high on our backs — Jafar (Armstrong), Tony (Jones Jr.), our young backs (freshmen C’Bo Flemister and Jahmir Smith)." (link can be found here.)

Davis reminds me a little of Amir Carlisle. Amir was fast but it was mostly straight-line fast and he had trouble keeping his feet under him. He went down easily after first contact. Cierre Wood was like that in his first couple of years. He was a bit of a spaz when he got the ball and would try to run faster than his feet could grip the ground. I think Davis is a bit of a spaz too. He has similar troubles keeping his feet. He also has trouble gripping the ball. And both of those problems are compounded by the fact he is a little undersized. The coaches have said the goal is for him to add good weight so that he can handle contact better. He also needs to learn patience. If he does those two things he could develop into a decent back.

If Kyren does have the same type of speed as DW then he might be explosive. We'll have to wait and see.
They may have similar speeds, but no way they have anywhere near dex's plant and burst ability. Film sure does not look like it though. Dex didn't have crazy fast top end speed, but he got to it so damn quick.

I like the amir carlisle comparison, and he wasn't a good RB. I just expect half descent to good rbs to pass davis.

Where have you seen the unique speed from him, i saw average speed at RB from him?
"Unique speed" are your words, not mine. From what I have read, Avery is comparable to Dexter, Josh, Jafar, and Tony Jones in the 40. Dexter and Josh seemed to have done alright. I was looking for the board's opinion on how he will fit in and will he be a contributor this season. No controversy. No three page argument about it. No name calling. No back and forth. Just a discussion.

"Unique speed" are your words, not mine. From what I have read, Avery is comparable to Dexter, Josh, Jafar, and Tony Jones in the 40. Dexter and Josh seemed to have done alright. I was looking for the board's opinion on how he will fit in and will he be a contributor this season. No controversy. No three page argument about it. No name calling. No back and forth. Just a discussion.
the range of players 40 times you mentioned might be between 4.45 - 4.65. i have not done any of the name calling BS you talk about.

I just think there's better talent and natural RBs in our stable than what Davis brings to the table.

Never said you were name calling, but it doesn't take much for a discussion to turn into a riot. So, you feel there is no place for Avery to contribute?

You would have said the same thing last year on Adams vs Dex (not ST). Adams didn't get drafted and won't last long in the nfl, and dex is projected to get drafted as early as the 3rd round. Same thing will happey with Miles and CHase. Miles will be lucky to get drafted late, and Chase depending on next year will be drafted much much earlier.
Did you also draft for Raiders the last 10 years?
Thanks for the laughs.

Never said you were name calling, but it doesn't take much for a discussion to turn into a riot. So, you feel there is no place for Avery to contribute?
Can he contribute? lowercase yes...... Is it good if he gets passed over and doesn't contribute? YES! ... I feel he's not that good and it would be a good sign if he gets passed over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT