ADVERTISEMENT

OT Stock Market

FBN was talking about TSN this morning and with Perdue Farms cutting back production a month ago could be interesting....thanks

Am I the only one loving these higher rates? I'm hoping for another increase..

I'm also in risk assets big time, but I'm fine letting them grow more slowly over the next few years with normalized rates...
I am trying to get a feel for this as a layman, but I have had more positives than negatives the past two months

I am trying to get a feel for this as a layman, but I have had more positives than negatives the past two months
I got lucky and found a couple of strong winners that have done super well in the last few years. Worst thing I could do is sell them for a quick profit.

I'm just really happy to get these returns on CD's.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
I got lucky and found a couple of strong winners that have done super well in the last few years. Worst thing I could do is sell them for a quick profit.

I'm just really happy to get these returns on CD's.
Amen to that
I got450 shares ofCRWD while at $160 it's now at $200 for the first time ever so I got lucky just as well.
We put the money for the escrow of our house into a CD each year

Am I the only one loving these higher rates? I'm hoping for another increase..

I'm also in risk assets big time, but I'm fine letting them grow more slowly over the next few years with normalized rates...

Normalized rates is the key term. It's surprising how many folks think 0% - 3% is the norm. We created a bond positive super cycle since Greenspan...now we're going in the opposite cycle.

I've no idea how high rates can go. A lot depends on national debt in my view. But it's clear we're paying the piper, one way or the other.

A major way is skewing distribution of income and wealth. Creditors foreign and domestic take more of this. Naturally. They get more interest and buy the range of assets, especially capital instruments. Throw in mobile well educated and qualified global labor taking great jobs.

Financially and culturally, these are interesting times. I'm personally fine as I've invested all my life and have the range of assets. But young Americans have more challenges in this high debt environment...as there is less room to suffer setbacks in family, education, and work. We ruthlessly teach our kids to get ahead here, to save and invest.

You're funny

I can be funny.

:)

But I'm not laughing at the H1Bs I work with in hi-tech. Many are pretty good. Most actually are necessary, as we don't have enough workers...mind you, a significant enough % are used to depress wages and take American jobs.

I say 70:30 is the ratio of necessary vs unnecessary foreign labor in this context. I won't get into the dirty jobs labor shortage here in the Bay Area...where wages for skilled laborers are very high.

2 kinds of Americans stand out here:

1) The ones who don't have the requisite STEM education, practice and skills.

2) The ones who can't nor won't do dirty jobs.

We need a jobs and effective rescue program for them. They're being squeezed by our national debt. We're in risk of creating a semipermanent under class here.

Get the debt under control. Reallocate capital here, government and captains of industry. Throw in personal finance education. I bet the S&P500 CAGR of 9% just might rise and economic cycles would be smoother...and we'd all be richer.

I can be funny.

But I'm not laughing at the H1Bs I work with in hi-tech. Many are pretty good. Most actually are necessary, as we don't have enough workers...mind you, a significant enough % are used to depress wages and take American jobs.

I say 70:30 is the ratio of necessary vs unnecessary foreign labor in this context. I won't get into the dirty jobs labor shortage here in the Bay Area...where wages for skilled laborers are very high.

We need a jobs and effective rescue program for them. They're being squeezed by our national debt. We're in risk of creating a semipermanent under class here.

Get the debt under control. Reallocate capital here, government and captains of industry. Throw in personal finance education. I bet the S&P500 CAGR of 9% just might rise and economic cycles would be smoother...and we'd all be richer.
I have plenty experience with them. The ratio is closer to 10-90, as in 90% unnecessary. I've trained the H1B's and plenty of Americans.

Remember in your earlier post you lamented the situation facing the younger generations? You solve the H1B problem and you solve the problems facing younger generations.

But your anti American worker mindset won't let you grasp that, so you will sit by and watch the younger generation, including your own, get handicapped.

Can you tell me exactly what magical special skill is required to be a DBA, windows admin, network admin, or project manager? Or perhaps which special STEM skill is required to be a tech recruiter and enter "Oracle DBA' to find available workers in Indeed?

It sadly is more in too many instances the fact that expecting hard work and everything else from american workers is considered racist or whatever.
Spoiled and soft is why so many foreign workers are here; in high tech areas anyway.

Spoiled and soft is why so many foreign workers are here; in high tech areas anyway.
You couldn't be more wrong. Obedient and unable to switch jobs (not unlike slavery) and the lucrative ability of the hiring manager to use his own staffing agency to take 30% cut of the visa worker salary is why they are here.

Or perhaps you can point out the tremendous innovation coming out of their home country that proves your point? If they are that hard working and talented, certainly it would be clear from the success of their own country, right?

For more evidence to my point, let's use Elon and Twitter. He fired 80% of the work force, a large portion Cognizant employees and contractors, and now Twitter is faster, better, and has more features than before.

Normalized rates is the key term. It's surprising how many folks think 0% - 3% is the norm. We created a bond positive super cycle since Greenspan...now we're going in the opposite cycle.

I've no idea how high rates can go. A lot depends on national debt in my view. But it's clear we're paying the piper, one way or the other.

A major way is skewing distribution of income and wealth. Creditors foreign and domestic take more of this. Naturally. They get more interest and buy the range of assets, especially capital instruments. Throw in mobile well educated and qualified global labor taking great jobs.

Financially and culturally, these are interesting times. I'm personally fine as I've invested all my life and have the range of assets. But young Americans have more challenges in this high debt environment...as there is less room to suffer setbacks in family, education, and work. We ruthlessly teach our kids to get ahead here, to save and invest.
We've been down this road before, but having zero rates fore so long is a new ballgame.
Your comment about 0-3% interest rates are spit on and the lack of a work ethic is new to me
I can be funny.

I am not happy with H1Bs either.....such a shame

I have plenty experience with them. The ratio is closer to 10-90, as in 90% unnecessary. I've trained the H1B's and plenty of Americans.

Remember in your earlier post you lamented the situation facing the younger generations? You solve the H1B problem and you solve the problems facing younger generations.

But your anti American worker mindset won't let you grasp that, so you will sit by and watch the younger generation, including your own, get handicapped.

Can you tell me exactly what magical special skill is required to be a DBA, windows admin, network admin, or project manager? Or perhaps which special STEM skill is required to be a tech recruiter and enter "Oracle DBA' to find available workers in Indeed?

I worked for a major Indian SI, here in Silicon Valley at some of the most elite companies. We had Master Service Agreements paying exactly what US salaries offered Americans...but could not be fulfilled. It's total BS that they were not needed...as these companies could not hire and staff fast enough.

Specifically it's also about holistic teams. You put together teams of DBAs, programmers, app developers, and project managers. Agile method, using tools like JIRA, githb, etc. The usual software engineering infrastructure.

The Indians come trained and packaged as such teams. Too many Americans, even if educated, don't. We have issues in pipelining. Don't get me wrong, as Americans actually remain the best programmers of all...making up the lion's share of core dev teams where it counts. We don't support them enough in this context.

My son is in a Catholic HS. He managed to get into an elite STEM curriculum. We write software together: data structures, algorithms, using O-notation. Building apps. He also writes MRDs and PRDs...presenting to VCs I know for mock pitching.

Bottom line: if you can sling data structures and algorithms in a language, even pseudo code, you will get a great job at our better tech companies. Again, we can't find enough such folks. And the world is a big place, offering lots of well educated, trained, and hungry professionals. Enterprises move fast, leveraging this.

I do pro-bono teaching and counseling in tech, aside from my day job. I dare say I help the American worker. Geez, talk about misreading on your part.

🤔

Again: have a true jobs pipeline educating, training, and putting Americans 1st in the pipeline. We have a cultural problem here, as all too many aren't aware of nor motivated to engage the pipeline. Above all, teach personal finance...cash flow, balance sheets, interest, amortization, ROI, so that people have time, geographic, and career flexibility.

The S&P500 produces 9% CAGR in almost every 20 year period since 1871. Check this out: S&P500 CAGR.

That wealth is available to all of us. But less so if you can't acquire it through your income. Which means having the best jobs...hence my point about the dangers of foreigners getting a higher % of this due to debt and a % of our jobs.

We've been down this road before, but having zero rates fore so long is a new ballgame.
Your comment about 0-3% interest rates are spit on and the lack of a work ethic is new to me
I am not happy with H1Bs either.....such a shame

...the lack of a work ethic is new to me...

I've observed this all my life in prosperous America. I'm an immigrant, having worked in my Dad's small construction company growing up. Doing dirty jobs and accounting, as my parents had only up to a 6th grade education and were not English fluent.

Of course I noted peers who didn't take life seriously in this context. Too much prosperity? They partied way too much, disdained academic excellence, especially STEM...never mind money management. Even when I worked in fast food flipping burgers, some shirked and gamed things.

The culmination of this culture is $1.7T in aggregate student debt. Often on degrees of marginal ROI. Hence income equality and wealth redistribution themes that threaten the merit based incentives that make the USA great.

Again, don't get me wrong. I am not a let them eat cake person. I fear the lowest quintile will become a semipermanent underclass. These folks need relief...and part tough love, fostering academic and work ethic excellence...personal finance skills, cooking, minor repair...can't just do your job and control costs...and do your job really well.

We have a 134% debt:gdp ratio and growing on a budget in deep deficit. SS, defense, medicare, medicaid, and public benefits take 90% of the budget. Yet tax revenue as a % of GDP is within healthy historical bounds, 19% - 24%.

We're tapped out. Paying the piper. We can't keep kicking the can down the road. We're in this together...including grass roots Main Street who need to rethink work ethic and working smart, getting the better jobs.

We have the wealth. But we have a distribution of income and wealth problem. We can solve this if we have political and cultural will.

Sorry for the diatribes on a topic I dearly love.

🙂

I worked for a major Indian SI, here in Silicon Valley
Impressive. I've worked Infosys, Cognizant, IBM Global Services, Oracle, and some others.

But sure, the indian outsourcers try real hard to recruit american workers.

Impressive. I've worked Infosys, Cognizant, IBM Global Services, Oracle, and some others.

But sure, the indian outsourcers try real hard to recruit american workers.

I was acquired by IBM 3x. Last one I stayed 2 years...I won't get into how management destroyed a once great American machines and innovation company. Missing out on the cloud alone is cause for damnation.

I've competed with Oracle all my career. I respect the company. Still the OLTP gold standard...but companies like Snowflake and Databricks are eclipsing them, as they too are late to the cloud game.

Tech and corporate life never sit still. Young people have to be more adaptive and nimble than ever before. Applying something I learned the hard way in corporate America after transitioning from the US Army: you train yourself.

It is what it is, as I don't think we do enough for the American in all this context. But we do it to ourselves. I mean just on the topic of this thread, the stock market...so many don't grasp much apply the concept of dollar cost averaging into index funds to reap the 9% CAGR of the S&P500.

Hell, I know so many financially challenged college football fans spending $$$ on schools they didn't attend. Fueling things like NIL, transfers, and semipro Darwinism that I think hurts the game. Finance is a critical to a good life...we should glamorize financial discipline.

Then you are aware that IBM and Oracle both shipped all their operations to India 8-10 years ago and as you so well pointed out, they have been eclipsed by American startup companies hiring American workforces.

After your 500 word essay of deflection, you didn't answer my simple question so I'll ask it again:

Can you tell me exactly what magical special skill is required to be an Oracle DBA, windows admin, network admin, SQL admin, or project manager? Or perhaps which special STEM skill is required to be a tech recruiter and enter "Oracle DBA' to find available workers in Indeed?

Great back and fourth that I would love to participate in, but I'm out of my depth at this point. Though I will take this and look into what I don't know and learn
Thanks you both

Typical
You find a few exceptions and think they are the norm

I have lived in ten states over the last 30 years and seen a lot of what I have described grow worse and worse.
Too many lazy and soft people having too many lazy and soft children

Well the CPI is out and its good news
Core also good news
Now lets hope the Fed gets a clue
they might get the first soft landing ever

Reactions: ivan brunetti
Well the CPI is out and its good news
Core also good news
Now lets hope the Fed gets a clue
they might get the first soft landing ever
The idea of 2% intrrest rates is not happening a couple years maybe, but the fed will be cutting next year so markets are going to be ripe for gains

Last edited:
I hope they don't cut too soon. I like having some ammo for the inevitable next crisis.

I agree that if I sold my stocks after every meaningful run up I would be able to buy them back on a dip and rinse and repeat. Would be up significantly more than I currently am. I am heavily concentrated though in Canadian energy stocks which nobody really wants to own as they are severely undervalued. With a buy and hold strategy I am up approx. 23% this year as of today.
Add in option trading, you can literally 10x what you could simply day trading stocks.

Then you are aware that IBM and Oracle both shipped all their operations to India 8-10 years ago and as you so well pointed out, they have been eclipsed by American startup companies hiring American workforces.

After your 500 word essay of deflection, you didn't answer my simple question so I'll ask it again:

Can you tell me exactly what magical special skill is required to be an Oracle DBA, windows admin, network admin, SQL admin, or project manager? Or perhaps which special STEM skill is required to be a tech recruiter and enter "Oracle DBA' to find available workers in Indeed?

Your questions are chasing windmills. Again, I worked with Indian staffed teams that were put together to run projects...exactly because the teams are experienced. It isn't slotting in folks who never worked together. They staff because American companies can't put this together fast enough. Period.

And yes, we hired Americans when I was at the said Indian company. I'm American. It's not a zero sum game in most cases.

BTW: not all DBAs are created equal. Skills: conceptual modeling, logical modeling, physical modeling. Performance and tuning. SQL, Python, and Java for non-SQL personas, particularly in data engineer and feature engineer pipelines supporting data science. The Indian outfits understand and train to this. We need to do a better job of it.

I wonder if you will again come back and claim I deflected...on a X word essay?

😀

Make money man.

I have a question for you...did you ever work for IBM?

Add in option trading, you can literally 10x what you could simply day trading stocks.

I have never know any good traders...outside those working for institutions. And even they are pretty gated.

The only options I consider are out of the money covered calls...at least you can't loose money.

Yeah it's the President's fault. Jesus Christ is every freaking thing political? You do realize that our inflation rate is lower than all the other developed countries, yes? And unemployment is at a consistent all time low, yes?
Inflation "rate" what a tool.

The CPI is NOT up 39% since January 2021. It is up roughly 18%.

261.582 in January 2021. 307.789 in September 2023 (most recent figure). Here is the chart:

chart

Much of the huge up tick in inflation was due to Covid messing up world-wide supply chains. And as others have noted, inflation infecting almost every country was not caused by actions of the United States.

Your argument might be stronger if you didn't resort to making up numbers.
Inflation is not up from Covid. Inflation is up from the government reaction to Covid shutdown trying to stimulate an economy that already had a weakened dollar from too much money supply. Then they doubled down and tripled down and kept pouring money into the economy.

Now wages are spiking as a "forced minimum wage" on small business, so basically we are screwed.

I have never know any good traders...outside those working for institutions. And even they are pretty gated.

The only options I consider are out of the money covered calls...at least you can't loose money.

So many strategies with options, but definitely need training/coaching if you go that route.

10 years with IBM Global Services.

And you still have not answered the question.

I did actually, but we can agree to disagree.

So if you were at IBM 10 years, you surely must know of or visited Almaden Labs. Plenty of Americans as well as foreign talent. IBM's main problem wasn't any betrayal of Americans...but rather poor MBA finance oriented leadership that gradually took away initiative and innovation from engineers and scientists.

It's been a long time since IBM invented anything. They missed the cloud, devices, GPUs, and web scale databases. They ceased innovation in my company we got acquired, which is why the best bailed...and believe me, I knew quite a few top engineers and scientists who left for Google, Microsoft, even SAP and Oracle, with some now going to Snowflake and Databricks.

They allowed employees to stagnate in niche positions. So much that no, they for whatever reason didn't make good DBAs, admins, or solutions architects. I wasn't surprised at the rounds of layoffs...and that is no slight to these unfortunate folks, as IBM mismanaged them. And I met plenty of Indians who also got the ax, although a good colleague of mine is still there as a distinguished engineer.

Anyways, don't see any betrayal of the American worker here vis a vis Indians. On that, my company is one of the best in the world, located here in Silicon Valley. Again, our primary dev teams are here...but we have globally distributed QA, release management, some peripheral products, like client drivers.

I for one like and appreciate the H1Bs. There is plenty of work for all regardless. Pipelining is the issue.

So many strategies with options, but definitely need training/coaching if you go that route.

It's a tough gig even with training. Most traders don't do so well. Check this out: Data Science Society.

Conclusion

Approximately 1–20% of day traders actually profit from their endeavors. Exceptionally few day traders ever generate returns that are even close to worthwhile. This means that between 80 and 99 percent of them fail.

I am not trying to dissuade you. You might be one of the better ones. But I never took to it, as I am skeptical of technical analysis...which I sometimes view for more short term analysis, if I get the inclination to be speculative, which I rarely am.

Warren Buffett once made a joke about a technical chart. He said he turned it upside down and he couldn't tell the difference. :)

The annual inflation "rate" for the United States was 3.2% for the 12 months ended October, compared to 3.7% previously, according to U.S. Labor Department data published on Nov. 14, 2023. The next update on inflation is scheduled for release on Dec. 12 at 8:30 a.m. ET. It will provide information on the rate of inflation for the 12 months ended November 2023

The annual inflation "rate" for the United States was 3.2% for the 12 months ended October, compared to 3.7% previously, according to U.S. Labor Department data published on Nov. 14, 2023. The next update on inflation is scheduled for release on Dec. 12 at 8:30 a.m. ET. It will provide information on the rate of inflation for the 12 months ended November 2023
Don't give a damn about other countries.
Under Joe Biden gas nearly tripled in price.
Harry Truman says the buck stops there you do know?

It's a tough gig even with training. Most traders don't do so well. Check this out: Data Science Society.

Conclusion

Approximately 1–20% of day traders actually profit from their endeavors. Exceptionally few day traders ever generate returns that are even close to worthwhile. This means that between 80 and 99 percent of them fail.

I am not trying to dissuade you. You might be one of the better ones. But I never took to it, as I am skeptical of technical analysis...which I sometimes view for more short term analysis, if I get the inclination to be speculative, which I rarely am.

Warren Buffett once made a joke about a technical chart. He said he turned it upside down and he couldn't tell the difference. :)
100% I have my investment portfolio that's managed by my financial expert. Any day trading I do is with money I can afford to lose. I would never use day trading as a long term investment vehicle.

Reactions: banmate6
I see day trading and option trading the same way I see teenage drinking. We all need to find out ourselves. RE: options? Beware this thing called theta decay. It's real, and it can be brutal.

That said, enjoy the ride..
I'm am going to dig into that now thanks

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT