ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Something has to change

TOMMY_23

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Mar 13, 2017
I have a question for the board.

Has there ever been a gun made that can shoot all by itself without a person pulling the trigger?

Reactions: LH24ND

Has there ever been a gun made that can shoot all by itself without a person pulling the trigger?
The too easy accessibility to guns has to be part of the discussion. I honestly do not see anything changing and incidents like the one this week will become more commonplace until the decision makers in this country choose not to be whores to the NRA and the gun lobby. This hiding behind the 2nd amendment is pure nonsense. When the 2nd amendment was written the most expert of riflemen could at best make three shots in a minute. The weapon used in the current incident had the ability to fire 50 rounds a minute. Does anyone truly believe our forefathers would have written that amendment to include weapons like that ? I believe they are weeping in their graves.

Freedoms are infringed upon all the time. It's the cost of living in today's world.

Because of 9/11, we all have to endure long lines and searches at airports.

I think we can live with some stricter gun laws in order to make it more difficult for maniacs to get their hands on them. Whether the vast majority of Americans are good people or not, the laws need to be written for those few who are not. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Freedoms are infringed upon all the time. It's the cost of living in today's world.

Because of 9/11, we all have to endure long lines and searches at airports.

I think we can live with some stricter gun laws in order to make it more difficult for maniacs to get their hands on them. Whether the vast majority of Americans are good people or not, the laws need to be written for those few who are not. I don't think that's too much to ask.
exactly. i don't support the banning of guns. many of my family members own guns. its the accessibility that has to addressed.

Reactions: IrishHerb
I think the problem lies far past the guns as anyone who wants to commit acts of violence will find a way (truck, explosives, planes, etc.). Yes, it is crazy to think that some of these 'crazy' people are buying guns legally and the background check should be re-done (maybe privatize that process). I think the biggest problem in this country is the big pharmacies. Kids are getting drugs handed to them by DR.s that hard more addictive and harmful than drugs they could find on the street.....As someone who had his leg snapped by a skid steer and given an unlimited scrip to oxy-cotin at the age of 21, I feel lucky that I never developed a habit but those pills are ridiculous! Other problem is that in America everyone is so concerned about themselves and they will do anything for 'likes' and clicks and attention, even if that means negative attention. This FL kid knew he would be famous within a day if he did this..... and he was right.

I've always thought this is a silly point.

For the most part, no item can "act" by itself. Yet, we ban things all of the time because the harm to society by those things is greater than the utility of having them available.

Reactions: echowaker
If Sandy Hook didn't change the public debate on gun control nothing will. Just accept the fact mass shootings are a part of Americana.

I've always thought this is a silly point.

For the most part, no item can "act" by itself. Yet, we ban things all of the time because the harm to society by those things is greater than the utility of having them available.

If "guns don't kill people, people kill people", then toasters don't toast toast, but toast toasts toast.

As a responsible gun owner I have no issues with restrictions on what guns can be purchased until you have established yourself as a responsible gun owner. There is no reason for a 19 yr old to be able to buy this gun legally. There is no background check that will derive a young persons willingness to commit atrocities. I'm for creating a tiered system where guns are categorized and a person must establish the self as a good firearm owner in order to purchase certain guns. The sad thing is the NRA and gun companies profit off of all this talk as they lobby their base that people are trying to take their guns creating a buying frenzy. It's wrong that an atrocity like this is actually a good thing for gun companies. That is simply wrong.

As a responsible gun owner I have no issues with restrictions on what guns can be purchased until you have established yourself as a responsible gun owner. There is no reason for a 19 yr old to be able to buy this gun legally. There is no background check that will derive a young persons willingness to commit atrocities. I'm for creating a tiered system where guns are categorized and a person must establish the self as a good firearm owner in order to purchase certain guns. The sad thing is the NRA and gun companies profit off of all this talk as they lobby their base that people are trying to take their guns creating a buying frenzy. It's wrong that an atrocity like this is actually a good thing for gun companies. That is simply wrong.
I too am a responsible gun owner, and a long time NRA member
The NRA does not proffit from this tragic event, and that's just silly to believe that.
I like your tiered system, but in regards to a restriction on a 19 yr olds right to best arms
Of any kind of fire arm is unconstitutional.
Some are more dangerous with their vote
My son was doing his 2nd tour in Iraq when he was 19.
It's more than guns it's today's society,

There's no good answers I'm afraid.

I'm sad for the Parkland community that will bare this burden, and mostly the families of the fallen.

Almost $32 million in NRA contributions to Trump's 2016 campaign and 2020 campaign fund is the reason why he will never fight for sensible gun controls.

It's time to stand up to the NRA and #protectourchildren by walking into a voting booth in November and sending a clear message to Congressional Republicans that supporting the NRA is the kiss of death for their political ambitions.

The NRA does not proffit from this tragic event, and that's just silly to believe that.
I like your tiered system, but in regards to a restriction on a 19 yr olds right to best arms

I'm sad for the Parkland community that will bare this burden, and mostly the families of the fallen.
i disagree. every time the NRA starts spouting off that the big bad government is coming for your guns sales go up. thats all the NRA is interested in. they have absolutely no interest in public safety. our forefathers wrote the 2nd amendment when times and weapons were much different . i'm sick and tired of the NRA hiding behind it . time to amend the amendment to keep up with the times. When I entered this profession over 20 years ago never, ever did i envision that part of my training would be in " active shooter " protocols. it sickens me.

i disagree. every time the NRA starts spouting off that the big bad government is coming for your guns sales go up. thats all the NRA is interested in. they have absolutely no interest in public safety. our forefathers wrote the 2nd amendment when times and weapons were much different . i'm sick and tired of the NRA hiding behind it . time to amend the amendment to keep up with the times. When I entered this profession over 20 years ago never, ever did i envision that part of my training would be in " active shooter " protocols. it sickens me.

Hum Big bad government?
I guess weopnizing the top brass of the FBI, and the IRS you want to blame on the NRA as well.
Some would call that tyranny.

Reactions: die4irish
I say it to my students in my Gov class all the time. The world is getting smaller, yet more populated. Technology, among other things is creating a society that is slowly giving up its' right to privacy and other freedoms for the sake of convenience, coexistence, and safety. I am a strong supporter of the NRA. that being said, I do not understand how we cannot make it more challenging to get a hold of weapons like an AR15. Unfortunately we have a dilemma. Do we continue down this path of violence or do we create more laws that infringe upon 99% of the populations freedom to secure the 1% that are the problem?

Reactions: deadirishpoet
I get what you are saying about the NRA.... as a former member and gun owner my opinion of the NRA has changed drastically. BUT, to determine what the forefathers did/didn't mean is your opinion. The Constitution is such an amazing document and the foresight our forefathers had is amazing. If you claim they didn't have the foresight of the evolution of weapons, you would also have to assume that the freedom of speech should be limited to things that only mattered/were said in the 1770's as well.

The gun manufacturers absolutely make a killing when there is discussion of gun control and some groups of people rush to purchase guns. Unfortunately those discussions tend to happen after a tragedy such as this, and yes gun companies profit greatly albeit not directly.

I would also argue that I cannot buy an ak47 in the store to do the proven record of the harm that can come from such weapons... A fair argument is being set that ar-15s have set a precedent for the ability to kill and commit terrorist acts within the USA. I'd much rather have a law that said I had to demonstrate competent ownership of lesser firearms for a year before buying said weapon then outlawing it completely. There are no good answers, but it's time for a real discussion.

Last edited:
The gun manufacturers absolutely make a killing when there is discussion of gun control and some groups of people rush to purchase guns. Unfortunately those discussions tend to happen after a tragedy such as this, and yes gun companies profit greatly albeit not directly.
It is true.... the greatest gun salesman of all time was Obama.... and he did nothing to guns, just the right were scared that he would lol..... created a false market, prices on guns and ammo soured for 8 years..... actually after Trump was elected was the first time the ammo market caught up.

With that said, it is a mystery to how Remington is potentially going broke.

Reactions: mirer03
I get what you are saying about the NRA.... as a former member and gun owner my opinion of the NRA has changed drastically. BUT, to determine what the forefathers did/didn't mean is your opinion. The Constitution is such an amazing document and the foresight our forefathers had is amazing. If you claim they didn't have the foresight of the evolution of weapons, you would also have to assume that the freedom of speech should be limited to things that only mattered/were said in the 1770's as well.
as we have evolved as a society certain things haven't changed. do you honestly believe our forefathers would have written an amendment allowing a weapon to be readily available to the public that was capable of killing or wounding 60 to 70 people in a matter of minutes ? as a long time history teacher i find it hard to be believe they would have.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
I say it to my students in my Gov class all the time. The world is getting smaller, yet more populated. Technology, among other things is creating a society that is slowly giving up its' right to privacy and other freedoms for the sake of convenience, coexistence, and safety. I am a strong supporter of the NRA. that being said, I do not understand how we cannot make it more challenging to get a hold of weapons like an AR15. Unfortunately we have a dilemma. Do we continue down this path of violence or do we create more laws that infringe upon 99% of the populations freedom to secure the 1% that are the problem?
infringe away if it makes our country safer.

Reactions: ivan brunetti

i agree there are no good answers but inaction only exacerbates things.

as we have evolved as a society certain things haven't changed. do you honestly believe our forefathers would have written an amendment allowing a weapon to be readily available to the public that was capable of killing or wounding 60 to 70 people in a matter of minutes ? as a long time history teacher i find it hard to be believe they would have.

After the new restrictions are put in place, I am all for allowing muskets to be sold to the public.

I'm not convinced from what I read and heard that the shooter was mentally ill. He sounds just plain evil to me. It was premeditated, calculated, and he devised an escape plan. He also is more than aware of what he did and his attorney says he has regret at what he did. I'll let the experts figure this guy out but on the surface he looks as though he's just plain evil. "They" also need to take a long hard look at law enforcement dealing with the guy. Thirty nine domestic distress calls from his home and that didn't raise any red flags? Also, the threatening youtube entry he made was reported to the Feds and it ended there. I would suggest schools install a hard entry system supported by armed qualified off duty or retired military/ police officers. Their duty would not be to stop fights in the cafeteria but to supervise the entry and egress of adults and students. The school would no longer be a soft target.

I would also argue that I cannot buy an ak47 in the store to do the proven record of the harm that can come from such weapons... A fair argument is being set that ar-15s have set a precedent for the ability to kill and commit terrorist acts within the USA. I'd much rather have a law that said I had to demonstrate competent ownership of lesser firearms for a year before buying said weapon then outlawing it completely. There are no good answers, but it's time for a real discussion.
Having guide lines are a start, but the time frame you've suggest it isn't.
Why would someone who has served in the military and is well-versed in a firearm have to wait a long period of time to own something that he has used for the government?

I would gladly give up my gun and my right to own one because it is a farce to say that laws can't be enacted or the constitution changed to prevent these types of things. That is the gun makers and NRA talking.

Last edited:
it doesn't help matters that not quite a year ago the current administration signed a bill revoking gun checks on those mentally ill. genius move.

What is crazy is that everyone is attacked the 'AR-15' without even understanding what it is.... you hear that it is an 'Assault Rifle' but what is an assault rifle? the AR doesn't stand for assault rifle either..... also, the most popular caliber that the AR shoots (.223/5.56) is not that deadly of a bullet.... which is why there are a lot of wounded victims.... A common shotgun would be more deadly in my opinion....

infringe away if it makes our country safer.

Infringing on the 2nd admenment is not the answer. The reason it was put there by our founding fathers was so citizens could stand up and fight back against a overseeing and power hungry federal government. At that time it was the king of England. That is why the NRA exists and will always exist. It’s scary how similar and different the past is these days when it comes to the government.

Has time and technology change abosolutly. But the AR platform is glorified in video games etc to the youth these days. But there are far more dangerous weapons in close counters than a AR. To meet in the middle physic analysis on anyone wanting to buy a gun that has more than has 30 round clip and above fine I would be all for that as a gun owner. For some reason we the non gun owners of American think this will solve the problem

Personally I think the issue is our culture not our society. People are very care free don’t have human enteraction but their human contact is over a phone or text. Everything is at our finger tips these days and my opinion it’s for the worse. These issues didn’t happen 15-20 yrs ago. Everyone is so freaking PC and scared to offend anyone if they see or hear something crazy or post something crazy online. People don’t take action when they know in their gut “Hey something is wrong here and I should say something”.

You can blame a machine all you want but until we decide to step up and fight back against truly bad people. We need to except there no Utopia here on Earth. There will always be good and bad people. The good people need to stand up when they see or hear something whether your a gun owner or not. If your not a gun owner then some one with a gun will be there to protect you when that bad guy that dosent respect the law we live under crosses your path.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT