ADVERTISEMENT

OT James Franklin

scubastevefl

I've posted how many times?
Dec 9, 2006
Can’t got over the 9-3/10-2 hump. He’s been at PSU a while and I don’t think his team has ever played in a BIG championship game or made the playoffs.

Might be time to move on, Franklin is a very good coach, not an elite coach.

Reactions: melstew
I thought it was clearly wrong to go for it on that 4th and 5 on his own 30 with about 4:25 remaining. I’ve seen him botch the end of the game before too.

Perhaps Michigan still rips off a big run to seal the game but I thought it was poor strategy.

I thought it was clearly wrong to go for it on that 4th and 5 on his own 30 with about 4:25 remaining. I’ve seen him botch the end of the game before too.

Perhaps Michigan still rips off a big run to seal the game but I thought it was poor strategy.
Disagree. You punt and never see the football again you get chastised for it. It’s a no win situation.

What's your point with that comment? What does that have to do with Franklins poor coaching decisions
Golson—-I have watched Notre Dame this season botch games as well due to poor coaching.

Disagree. You punt and never see the football again you get chastised for it. It’s a no win situation.
4:26 and two TO’s remaining after holding Michigan to 17 points? I say forget the ignorant masses. I’d maybe go for it on the 40 or around the 50, but not your own 30.

Reactions: Irishjohn68
Can’t got over the 9-3/10-2 hump. He’s been at PSU a while and I don’t think his team has ever played in a BIG championship game or made the playoffs.

This is his tenth year there and they're still playing third fiddle to tOSU and Meatchicken. Plus, some years Michigan State as well.

Good points, Steve.

IIRC, Franklin's contract has some crazy high buy out that was included when Penn State was afraid he was going to USC.

Franklin is a very good recruiter but I don't think much of him as a game day or game planning coach.

4-18 against OSU and Mich

.500 against MSU

0fer against SEC

He is a excellent recruiter and a poor game day coach

Hope MF doesn’t become Franklin

Reactions: Pennick4
IIRC, Franklin's contract has some crazy high buy out that was included when Penn State was afraid he was going to USC.

Franklin is a very good recruiter but I don't think much of him as a game day or game planning coach.
I think this is spot on. It also seems JF plays not to lose. That's one thing I worry about for MF. Most of the current great coaches are one part river boat gambler, one part crush you while you're down, in addition to traditional recruiting, prep, and game day qualities. To his credit BK figured this out.

Reactions: ivan brunetti

He sucks. U r being generous. With the talent he has you could go 9-3. He is a middle of the road guy and has made Ped state a punching bag for top teams

If you have any doubt what I say is accurate, ask who would want to hire him? Answer is no top div 1 team. Likely a lower tier team

He sucks. U r being generous. With the talent he has you could go 9-3. He is a middle of the road guy and has made Ped state a punching bag for top teams

If you have any doubt what I say is accurate, ask who would want to hire him? Answer is no top div 1 team. Likely a lower tier team
For some reason fans think if your not Nick Saban or Kirby Smart your Rich Kotite or Ted Roof. There are a lot of good coaches who are just not elite, Franklin is pretty good, but he’s a step behind Ohio State and The Khaki Cheater. Brian Kelly was the same way, really, really good just not elite, I’d put BK and Franklin on the same level, BK made the playoffs twice, Franklin has not but has more NY6 wins.

I mean Bo Pelini never won less than 9 games at Nebraska, but he never won more than 10 either, not bad but not near elite. Talk to most average football fans and bring up Bo’s name and they would call him the second coming of Ty Willingham, not True.

For some reason fans think if your not Nick Saban or Kirby Smart your Rich Kotite or Ted Roof. There are a lot of good coaches who are just not elite, Franklin is pretty good, but he’s a step behind Ohio State and The Khaki Cheater. Brian Kelly was the same way, really, really good just not elite, I’d put BK and Franklin on the same level, BK made the playoffs twice, Franklin has not but has more NY6 wins.

I mean Bo Pelini never won less than 9 games at Nebraska, but he never won more than 10 either, not bad but not near elite. Talk to most average football fans and bring up Bo’s name and they would call him the second coming of Ty Willingham, not True.
Yeah. All valid observations scuba. But did anyone other than some Ped fans really think there was a snowballs chance in hell of beating scum? Same applies to any game of significance. Very much like Kelly but at least Kelly made it to playoffs 3 times

Reactions: Kelso86
Which Fiesta Bowl was won by Brian Kelly?

Any other major bowl?
Franklin has never won a major bowl. He’s won some games that were formerly known as major bowls.

But are now nothing but fancy consolation prizes with tradition, games that are so irrelevant many players choose to not even participate.

There is not one coach, player, or fan at Penn State that wouldn’t trade that Rose Bowl Game last year. For an opportunity to play TCU or Georgia in the CFP, like Ohio State and Michigan did. Not one…

Franklin has never won a major bowl. He’s won some games that were formerly known as major bowls.

But are now nothing but fancy consolation prizes with tradition, games that are so irrelevant many players choose to not even participate.

There is not one coach, player, or fan at Penn State that wouldn’t trade that Rose Bowl Game last year. For an opportunity to play TCU or Georgia in the CFP, like Ohio State and Michigan did. Not one…
Franklin has won a Fiesta, Cotton and Rose Bowl over the last 10 years, better than ND over the last 30 years.

Reactions: tbonesays

There are a whole list of good coaches, who aren't elite ... a short list of them include Franklin, Brian Kelly, Jim Harbaugh, Lincoln Riley, Gary Patterson, ... they constantly produce 10-2, 9-3 seasons but just can't seem to win the big games.

Reactions: scubastevefl
I guess you could say that, but since the objective for programs like PSU and ND is to win National Championships. And those 3 wins had Zero National Championship implications.

I’d contend ND getting to the BCSCG and CFP twice is better than anything Penn State has done over the last 30 years.

To each his own…

Are you sure about that? Their records are pretty similar and he has 3 NY6 bowl wins
3 undefeated regular seasons and 2 cfp appearances and a national championship appearance… not a landslide but clearly better

Reactions: Pennick4
I guess you could say that, but since the objective for programs like PSU and ND is to win National Championships. And those 3 wins had Zero National Championship implications.

I’d contend ND getting to the BCSCG and CFP twice is better than anything Penn State has done over the last 30 years.

To each his own…
Agree. Brian Kelly>James Franklin.

3 undefeated regular seasons and 2 cfp appearances and a national championship appearance… not a landslide but clearly better
Definitely not clearly. You can say better. As bad as our situation was, what he took over at Ped state was worse. 3 NY6 bowl wins to 0. Less big blowouts. It's close.

I would take ours but it's pretty even

Reactions: notredamerises23
Brian Kelly did a lot better at Notre Dame than James Franklin has done at Penn State.
No shit. If Franklein goes on a 44-6 run with multiple playoff appearances, then he will have achieved that rarified status. Until then, F no....

Overall though, if I was a PSU fan, you definitely could do worse.

Definitely not clearly. You can say better. As bad as our situation was, what he took over at Ped state was worse. 3 NY6 bowl wins to 0. Less big blowouts. It's close.

If you would rather win an NY6 game than play in the CFB Playoff, then great. I would rather lose to eventual national champions Alabama and Clemson, and Alabama again in the CFB Playoffs in 2020 and 2018, and the title game in 2012, than win an NY6 game.

Has James Franklin ever guided Penn State to the 4-team CFB Playoffs, or played in a title game in the BCS era?

Brian Kelly indeed did so at Notre Dame. Three times in 12 seasons.

Last edited:
If you would rather win an NY6 game than play in the CFB Playoff, then great. I would rather lose to eventual national champions Alabama and Clemson, and Alabama again in the CFB Playoffs in 2020 and 2018, and the title game in 2012, than win an NY6 game.

Has James Franklin ever guided Penn State to the 4-team CFB Playoffs, or played in a title game in the BCS era?

Brian Kelly indeed did so at Notre Dame. Three times in 12 seasons.
Like I said, I would take ours but it's pretty even.

He took over a worse situation and did similar results. 3 NY6 wins to 0. Less big game blowouts.

We also don't have to play OSU every single year. I wonder how many of those 3 we would have got to if we had to play them every year

Take a look at some of the responses here—it’s amazing how much underselling there is of what Brian Kelley was able to do here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT