ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How did we get here

justified1

ND Expert
Oct 19, 2011
Anyone read about that MLB pitching coach who got fired for being, saying something, insensitive?
Then there is the Chris Hardwick story. Or, A teacher gets fired for FB comments. More and more stories like this. A mere accusation is enough to destroy careers.

Does anyone remember the days as a youth, the interactions in the playgrounds? The fights, brawls, arguments, competitions, jealousies? The things we said to each other, busting on each other? The mocking for fun and even to be a ‘putdown’ Today our verbal exchanges would consitute hate crimes or threats to homeland security.

How did we get here?

Further, a grade school kid cannot invite friends from school to a birthday party unless all the class gets invited? And then there is the sports or competitions where everyone ‘wins’ a trophy or awards so as to not hurt feelings or reveal levels of abilities and individual differences.

Then there is the Mayor of NYC saying that having academic achievement schools is unfair to less academically astute students and he wants to have open enrollment at schools that were setup to recognize and reward hard work and academic achievement.

And how about the NJ cheer sqaud? A parent complained that her kid got cut after tryouts. So the school board opens cheerleading to everone who wants to be a cheerleader can be one. The fact that some kids went to camps, trained and dedicated time and effort did not matter. There seems to be an ongoing attack-on individual differences.

Free speech, individual differences, and free expression are under attack.

How did we get here?

(I hope this doesn’t offend anyone)

Last edited:
Anyone read about that MLB pitching coach who got fired for being, saying something, insensitive?
Then there is the Chris Hardwick story. Or, A teacher gets fired for FB comments. More and more stories like this. A mere accusation is enough to destroy careers.

Does anyone remember the days as a youth, the interactions in the playgrounds? The fights, brawls, arguments, competitions, jealousies? The things we said to each other, busting on each other? The mocking for fun and even to be a ‘putdown’ Today our verbal exchanges would consitute hate crimes or threats to homeland security.

How did we get here?

Further, a grade school kid cannot invite friends from school to a birthday party unless all the class gets invited? And then there is the sports or competitions where everyone ‘wins’ a trophy or awards so as to not hurt feelings or reveal levels of abilities and individual differences.

Then there is the Mayor of NYC saying that having academic achievement schools is unfair to less academically astute students and he wants to have open enrollment at schools that were setup to recognize and reward hard work and academic achievement.

And how about the NJ cheer sqaud? A parent complained that her kid got cut after tryouts. So the school board opens cheerleading to everone who wants to be a cheerleader can be one. The fact that some kids went to camps, trained and dedicated time and effort did not matter. There seems to be an ongoing attack-on individual differences.

How did we get here?

I'd add to that, how did we get to a time where some of the most intolerant close minded bigots in the country are found in academia? Academia was/is supposed to be the bastion of open mindedness, tolerance and respect for dissenting opinion.

I thank God that one of my kids finished college before all this craziness started and the other went to a school with a healthy balance of political thought.

Funny, I just googled what the coach actually said. I don't think many people know what he truly said to the employee.... so while I get your overall point, it is hard to blame the Tigers for firing a guy when you don't know what he said.... but I am almost positive it was very racist.

Funny, I just googled what the coach actually said. I don't think many people know what he truly said to the employee.... so while I get your overall point, it is hard to blame the Tigers for firing a guy when you don't know what he said.... but I am almost positive it was very racist.

No doubt it was offensive, but comments made in that manner are expressions of personal opinion. Unless he was a superior to that employee (the employees report) then it just another stiffing of expression.

And what does this have to do with football?

“OT” short for off or other topic.

My advice to people, keep off most social media, my exception being this board and my crossfit games profile. Hardly anything that’s going to cost my a chance to run for office.

I notice that he had no problem with worst movie!

Mindless banter, that does not cause any awareness or thought.

nemeth:
don’t focus on tree and miss the forest.

It’s called liberalism. What you are seeing is the end result. And guess what. It’s only going to get worse, the more power they acquire. See Saul LinSky rules for radicals.

Reactions: rgc7
I notice that he had no problem with worst movie!

Mindless banter, that does not cause any awareness or thought.

nemeth:
don’t focus on tree and miss the forest.
Im trying not to.... ? So you are saying if a guy comes out and calls a fellow employee who is an african american a Hard N word.... he shouldn't be fired lol? Also, the pitching staff isn't exactly lighting it up and this guy has had a history of being a blowhard (ask Lester)..... so maybe they were just looking for an opportunity and he gave them a good one?

Reactions: ivan brunetti

How did we get here?

How did we get here?

Free speech means you won't be *arrested* for calling an employee "n*****".

It doesn't mean you won't get your dumb racist ass shit canned.

Reactions: WhySeperateKnob
Im trying not to.... ? So you are saying if a guy comes out and calls a fellow employee who is an african american a Hard N word.... he shouldn't be fired lol? Also, the pitching staff isn't exactly lighting it up and this guy has had a history of being a blowhard (ask Lester)..... so maybe they were just looking for an opportunity and he gave them a good one?

No, on surface of it, it is the fear of polical correctness’s that got him fired as much as he actually deserved it.
There is a growing climate of fear of the media power and polical correctness.

No, on surface of it, it is the fear of polical correctness’s that got him fired as much as he actually deserved it.
There is a growing climate of fear of the media power and polical correctness.

Milo and these fine people got five wins today.

161108-brandy-journalist-shirt-tease_e24aqd

I remember my father and his buddies playing poker in my basement when I was a child... CNN would have a field day with the things coming out of their mouths LOL

It’s called liberalism. What you are seeing is the end result. And guess what. It’s only going to get worse, the more power they acquire. See Saul LinSky rules for radicals.
Again defining the world as liberal and conservative is very small minded. I currently live in a very conservative area of Houston Texas and the conservative young parents here are just as bad as the liberal ones in Austin. The root cause of these changes are baby boomers teaching their kids they are special, protecting them from consequences, and taking their child's side versus authority figures (like teachers..."no way my child did that"). Liberalism and conservatism has no impact on this arguement, it comes from both sides.

Again defining the world as liberal and conservative is very small minded. I currently live in a very conservative area of Houston Texas and the conservative young parents here are just as bad as the liberal ones in Austin. The root cause of these changes are baby boomers teaching their kids they are special, protecting them from consequences, and taking their child's side versus authority figures (like teachers..."no way my child did that"). Liberalism and conservatism has no impact on this arguement, it comes from both sides.

This idea came from liberalism

Amen to that. My wife works at an elementary school. Many of the things that get kids in trouble today would have gotten me slapped and grounded when I got home with that note 50 years ago. Today, parents immediately want a formal meeting which includes everyone in administration except the custodian, they grill everyone, and they feign disbelief that their kid could have done such a thing. If you have suspended a kid, they might even show up with a lawyer or an advocate. Everything is someone else's fault or due to "environmental" considerations, nobody ever does anything wrong just because that's what some kids do, some are just better behaved than others.

Reactions: mirer03 and rgc7
Amen to that. My wife works at an elementary school. Many of the things that get kids in trouble today would have gotten me slapped and grounded when I got home with that note 50 years ago. Today, parents immediately want a formal meeting which includes everyone in administration except the custodian, they grill everyone, and they feign disbelief that their kid could have done such a thing. If you have suspended a kid, they might even show up with a lawyer or an advocate. Everything is someone else's fault or due to "environmental" considerations, nobody ever does anything wrong just because that's what some kids do, some are just better behaved than others.

I remember getting trouble at school only to get in trouble at home. Today that would be considered double jeopardy

Hopefully the new scotus will give individual states more power. If a Midwestern/ Southern state doesn’t want to recognize what a West Village Nyc residents deems important. Some states like mine are gonzo.

Reactions: rgc7 and zonairish
Hopefully the new scotus will give individual states more power. If a Midwestern/ Southern state doesn’t want to recognize what a West Village Nyc residents deems important. Some states like mine are gonzo.

And maybe the red states will stop mooching off blue state federal tax payments.

Reactions: WhySeperateKnob

How did we get here?

How did we get here?

It’s called self discipline and teaching values

Parenting is the toughest job in the world and there are very few parents anymore. Just a holes who let their Kids watch iPhones while the parents talk at restaurants etc. the whole country is soft.

It’s hard to stay the course and instill discipline and values. Used to be schools could pick up the slack but now administrators have caved to the demands of “parents” who threaten law suits and want their child not cut from cheerleading

Thank Gid for Trump

This idea came from liberalism
No it didn't. Generational research does not alter based on party affiliation.

Parenting is the toughest job in the world and there are very few parents anymore. Just a holes who let their Kids watch iPhones while the parents talk at restaurants etc. the whole country is soft.

It’s hard to stay the course and instill discipline and values. Used to be schools could pick up the slack but now administrators have caved to the demands of “parents” who threaten law suits and want their child not cut from cheerleading

Thank Gid for Trump
Why are you thanking trump in a post about lost values? He's a poster child for lost values. No business integrity, winning over how you win, poor treatment of women, trump University, loopholing his taxes, taking loans with no intent to pay back due to bankruptcy laws, adultery.
I'd love to hear how you think trump in any way supports the rest of your post as his actions are quite opposite.

Why are you thanking trump in a post about lost values? He's a poster child for lost values. No business integrity, winning over how you win, poor treatment of women, trump University, loopholing his taxes, taking loans with no intent to pay back due to bankruptcy laws, adultery.
I'd love to hear how you think trump in any way supports the rest of your post as his actions are quite opposite.

Trump a boorish man? YES. Is he a man who gets stuff done? YES. I lived in Throggs Neck section of The Bronx. Hosmer & Harding Ave, For years a golf course was to be completed @ the end of Harding Ave. Anyhow neighbors there complaining for years about the empty promises of a golf course. The city got hosed by multiple developers. The area paid with rat infestation & just a filthy blight. Here comes Trump. There’s a course. The Rink in Central Park. The old Commodore hotel. Has he struck out on a few things? YES. But overall he’s done very well for NYC

Cmon now... we all know the Donald is a man of faith and integrity, especially when it comes to women

Reactions: mirer03

Thank Gid for Trump
Feminism is the #1 cause for lack of parents in the household. No household should need 2 full incomes to support children. Being a good mother is the most important job in the world, the second most is being a providing and discipline father.

=
watch the MSM ; your body and mind are now controlled

=
I do love the Donald as much as the next, but it's pretty fair game to say he hasn't lived a very moral life. I still thinking he has a big heart however.
I agree but people on the left critique his morals like that stormy Daniels but he paid her and we know she is. But bill Clinton take advantage of an intern that is ok and accused by multiple women of rape that is ok. At least he pays for it.

A true story about Trump. He and his first wife were driving and the got a flat. A person who saw the vehicle came by and offered to Change the tire. He did realize it was trump. So Donald said sure. Man changes tire the trumps after getting his info left. The next week he pays the mans mortgage off.

Also I met him years ago on different occasions he was the nicest and most generous person I met. The criticism is overblown. In the primary even knowing this I was pulling for Rubio but by the time our primary was here Rubio dropped out

=

As opposed to Fox?
Look at the Harvard study on bias in the media. Google is your friend. Personally I do not have cable but if I did I would watch Fox News the study shows negative reports on MSNBC CNN regarding trump at 90+% fox was negative at 52%. So fox was pretty much down the middle. Of course we are not talking about opinion shows like Madow or Hannity

Look at the Harvard study on bias in the media. Google is your friend. Personally I do not have cable but if I did I would watch Fox News the study shows negative reports on MSNBC CNN regarding trump at 90+% fox was negative at 52%. So fox was pretty much down the middle. Of course we are not talking about opinion shows like Madow or Hannity

MW-GE557_MediaB_20180228115701_NS.jpg

I agree but people on the left critique his morals like that stormy Daniels but he paid her and we know she is. But bill Clinton take advantage of an intern that is ok and accused by multiple women of rape that is ok. At least he pays for it.

A true story about Trump. He and his first wife were driving and the got a flat. A person who saw the vehicle came by and offered to Change the tire. He did realize it was trump. So Donald said sure. Man changes tire the trumps after getting his info left. The next week he pays the mans mortgage off.

Also I met him years ago on different occasions he was the nicest and most generous person I met. The criticism is overblown. In the primary even knowing this I was pulling for Rubio but by the time our primary was here Rubio dropped out

Bill Clinton doesn't get a pass lol. He's an adulterer, but I'm not posting praising him as a guy that good for the countries failing values. Trump has none. Maybe he has a big heart, it doesn't excuse cheating on your wife right after giving birth to your child. It doesn't excuse using your power to take advantage of women. He is a moral dumpster fire. It is sad that people excuse his behavior because of an R or a D by his name.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT