ADVERTISEMENT

OSU

ftnfan62

I've posted how many times?
Aug 1, 2010
Gonna be a big year for Freeman. Progression seems to be there. Been watching some games from last year. Talent as there. Parker with Freeman was the real issue, two OC’s. Freeman too much gambling early.

Watching OSU. Take the 3 the first time down. Lou does. A few other 4th and short you can pin them deep. Really hands OSU an easy 10 pt swing.

But as the year goes by from what I’m watching a bit more of a gambler using odds.

Looking forward to an OC like a DC he can really trust.

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
Gonna be a big year for Freeman. Progression seems to be there. Been watching some games from last year. Talent as there. Parker with Freeman was the real issue, two OC’s. Freeman too much gambling early.

Watching OSU. Take the 3 the first time down. Lou does. A few other 4th and short you can pin them deep. Really hands OSU an easy 10 pt swing.

But as the year goes by from what I’m watching a bit more of a gambler using odds.

Here’s the test: would you hold the same opinion had the result been different?

Would you really be saying to kick a FG and punt had ND scored touchdowns there? I see zero issue with going for it those times. Payne scored a touchdown from the Wildcat. Good effort, but IMO, that wasn’t smart to put the ball up to try to cross the goal line. I have an issue despite the good result. I don’t care that he scored. OSU ended up scoring the game-winning TD, but I don’t think it was sound for Day to keep his timeout and let 40 seconds burn off the clock. It worked out for them, but it was still wrong IMO regardless of the result.

Freeman bypassed a 36 yard field goal in order to go for it on 4th and 1. A 36 yard field goal is by no means a gimme. Shrader actually missed a 37 yarder against Duke the following week. It was one yard. If it’s 4th and 4-5, then yeah, definitely kick it.

The second 4th and 1 was actually about a half of a yard on the 38.5 yard line. Do you really want to make it easy on the opponent by punting it there? Its a half of a yard. Maybe you pin them inside of the 10 or even 5…or maybe you get a touchback or any other bad thing. If I was an OSU fan, I’d be thrilled to see ND punt there. Don’t make it easy on your opponent by giving them the ball when you should be able to pick up half of a yard on their 38.5. They also only needed about 5 yards to have a reasonable opportunity at a long field goal.

That second 4th down did not help set up OSU on an easy 10 point swing. They scored the TD from 61 yards. ND’s defense messed that play up twice. It’s not like OSU got the ball on the ND 20-30.

I’d be interested in discussing any of your other findings. I definitely don’t agree with all of his decisions.

Reactions: Kelso86

Thse types of decisions, it's easy to coach from a couch.

I have been critical of Freeman for certain things. Not here.

Reactions: Kelso86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT