ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Line As Of Today

That's probably the only info/insight we got into the program this fall. Freeman is a master at spending 20 mins with the media once a week, and sharing almost zero actual information on the topic we're all there to get information on.

It's good in that the opposing team is getting nothing, but it sucks in that it makes fall camp less entertaining as fans which means prospects probably aren't all that engaged either.

I always envied the prime pete carroll era at USC in that his practices were open to the media around the clock all camera and media access. His practices became events that made national headlines and created videos that went viral online before videos used to officially go viral. It made USC cool.

If ND wants to self handicap their football program with a laundry list of archaic academic criteria and policies -- that just gimps their roster, that NOBODY in the industry cares about anymore -- they got to at least give themselves any and every advantage elsewhere in the program to make up ground.

In my opinion, being super transparent during fall camp and allowing any and all media access uncut and raw (kind of what Sanders is doing at Colorado on Youtube), with our celebrity-looking head coach, might not be the worst idea to expose the brand to a wider audience beyond just their aging fan base.
Coach Freeman is very disappointed he isn't meeting your standards. Pretty sure he is more concerned with doing what is best for the ND program. 😎

Coach Freeman is very disappointed he isn't meeting your standards. Pretty sure he is more concerned with doing what is best for the ND program. 😎
There is zero reason to announce a starting 5 externally to the world. Now, he should have it pretty much locked in within the program for game 1.

I'd do what's common in the depth chart that gets released, this isn't nfl. Knapp or Baker...... Spindler or Coogan or Pendleton

Well, he better make some decisions soon -- Nasty needs to know this information.
Good to see reading comprehension isn't a strength of yours

Just like I said a few posts above. I do not need to know nor does the world, but the coaching staff and team should absolutely know now who they are rolling with as the starting 5.

He's working his way up the depth chart on one of the best offenses in the country. He was evaluated higher in the 247 2024 transfer portal player rankings. He's younger with more eligibility and upside. He's only a couple years removed from being a consensus top 10 prospect in the game.

If I'm ND i'd much rather have Dante Moore than Riley Leonard on my 85 man roster for 2024 and beyond.
So you'd prefer a QB who hasn't done anything at the collegiate level over one who has a proven record of significant production ? Makes no sense. Moore hasn't shown the ability to do ANYTHING better than Leonard. High school ratings mean absolutely nothing at the college level. Gotta earn your time.

So you'd prefer a QB who hasn't done anything at the collegiate level over one who has a proven record of significant production ? Makes no sense. Moore hasn't shown the ability to do ANYTHING better than Leonard. High school ratings mean absolutely nothing at the college level. Gotta earn your time.
Dante Moore is 19. He is one day older than CJ Carr. The kid will get his shot in 2025.

Last edited:
I read two different articles today making a case for starting Knapp. In one of the articles it had HS highlight videos of Knapp, and two things stuck out to me. One, he runs/sprints downfield quite well for a big fella, seems like a pretty good athlete for his size. Two, he is relentless, he blocks several guys well down the field and even out of bounds, I saw some flags thrown for some of the blocks. We don’t want a guy getting penalized but you can’t teach nastiness ala Nelson.

I admit, I have read very little about camp this year but it seems a few writers think Knapp, a true freshman should start over 6th year guy Baker.

My concern is can a true freshman at 6 ‘3 1/2, 290lbs get through a season of over 13 games? OL and DL see the fewest true freshman starters for a reason.

You’re obsessed with recruiting rankings…. Wild time to change tune…
I'm obsessed with evidence, facts, data, etc.

If a bunch of people are telling me something is one way, but the evidence says otherwise, im going to point it out.
In this case, yes. Especially given the lack of upside on the current ND roster. We desperately need DUDES (guys who produce ELITE production consistently) on this roster. Alpha dogs that are yards and TD monsters who produce 500 yards and 5 TDs a game consistently against ANYBODY in the country.

As a result, I would be taking HAIL MARYS on the games most highly rated prospects in the portal (they are probably underrated by the market and just a few years removed from being rated as the highest upside players at their position in the USA). All it takes is one of these overlooked 5 stars who had a down season or two to physically and mentally mature or be coached in a different way and BOOM you got the next Jayden Daniels leading your offense.

Also, i don't really respect the stats in the ACC as the bottom half of that conference is G5 level trash. I dont think those numbers translate to the slate ND will be playing in the event they make it to the playoff. Leonard was rated tied for 7th as the best QB in the transfer portal (.9200 4 star). This is the most objective evaluation we have of the player at the moment, and it just doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in him being the kind of QB that can lead ND past the gauntlet they'll face in the playoff. But who knows for sure? .. that's why they play the games.

Last edited:

If a bunch of people are telling me something is one way, but the evidence says otherwise, im going to point it out.

In this case, yes. Especially given the lack of upside on the current ND roster. We desperately need DUDES (guys who produce ELITE production consistently) on this roster. Alpha dogs that are yards and TD monsters who produce 500 yards and 5 TDs a game consistently against ANYBODY in the country.

As a result, I would be taking HAIL MARYS on the games most highly rated prospects in the portal (they are probably underrated by the market and just a few years removed from being rated as the highest upside players at their position in the USA). All it takes is one of these overlooked 5 stars who had a down season or two to physically and mentally mature or be coached in a different way and BOOM you got the next Jayden Daniels leading your offense.

Also, i don't really respect the stats in the ACC as the bottom half of that conference is G5 level trash. I dont think those numbers translate to the slate ND will be playing in the event they make it to the playoff. Leonard was rated tied for 7th as the best QB in the transfer portal (.9200 4 star). This is the most objective evaluation we have of the player at the moment, and it just doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in him being the kind of QB that can lead ND past the gauntlet they'll face in the playoff. But who knows for sure? .. that's why they play the games.
I'd take Carr over Moore everyday. So you think ND would have a better chance at a playoff berth with Moore over Leonard ? Good luck with that. Enjoy your rating systems. They rarely if ever tell the whole story, just like statistics. The particulars that lead to final statistics are what matter most. Coaches understand that.

Dudes ? The guys you reference do not grow on trees. They are rarely available. I swear you don't understand the actual playing of the game at all. If you don't like Leonard that's fine but to prefer to take a flyer on a kid based on nothing more than a subjective ranking from high school is insanity and no program can have sustained success based solely on that type of mindset.

I gave you 3 different examples of lower rated QB’s beating out their highly rated transfer QB’s and you simply ignored the post because you are not obsessed with evidence and facts— especially if it doesn’t fit your exhaustive narrative.

The rest of your post is actually hilarious and I enjoyed reading it. I want guys who throw for 500 yards and 5 TD’s against anyone!! Yeah me too bud!! Why not 800 yards and 8 TD’s!?!? Lets reach for the stars!

Whenever you post it’s simply complaining about not recruiting well enough, even after we landed a top 5 QB in the CJ Carr last year. It’s always something.

Last edited:
Dudes ? The guys you reference do not grow on trees. They are rarely available. I swear you don't understand the actual playing of the game at all. If you don't like Leonard that's fine but to prefer to take a flyer on a kid based on nothing more than a subjective ranking from high school is insanity and no program can have sustained success based solely on that type of mindset.
Yes, they are rarely available, but their rarity doesn't make them any less important. It's NDs job organizationally to put the program in the best position possible to find these rare talents though (at least better than their competitors can) because these rare talents make ALL THE DIFFERENCE. The way ND is presently operating (way too risk adverse if i may add) has been a total failure in regards to capturing the best talent in the sport (which is why they are not competitive at the highest level of the sport)

Last edited:
Well, he's doing a hell of a lot better than Riley Leonard, as he's only sophmore with multiple years of eligibility still, and was ranked higher than Leonard in that same 247 transfer portal player rankings that i referenced in my previous post: https://247sports.com/season/2024-football/transferportaltop/?positionkey=57

Dante Moore is 19. He is one day older than CJ Carr. The kid will get his shot in 2025.
Moore was benched at UCLA and transferred. And now he is a backup at Oregon. Who knows where he'll be next year? You sure can pick 'em, Chase!

We should compare Moore's Soph, stats (if he plays) to Riley Leonard's Soph. year.

Unfortunately for you, games are not played by Rival ratings. You sure as hell wouldn't have liked Joe Burrow or Patrick Mahomes -- a low 4* and a 3* -- by the way, National Champion Stetson Bennet was a 2* on rivals.

Why do I waste my time?
Nothing about Riley Leonard suggests he's a standout talent. His college track record is vs ACC competition. That is like a borderline G5 conference in terms of quality in 2024 so you can't put a lot of value on the numbers he produced.

Riley Leonard was a 4-star transfer according to the 247 transfer portal player rankings ranked with a group of transfer portal QBs tied from 7th-10th.

In Riley Leonard, I see another Book/Pyne/Coan/Hartman "bleh" fest that keeps the position warm until ND can develop an internal option with far more upside.

Losing out on guys like Dante Moore (from 2 classes ago, and now potentially Deuce Knight in this class) makes that goal far more untenable though. ND has all of their hopes at QB riding on CJ Carr's development because of their inability to convert on their top targets at the position on the recruiting trail.
Moore was benched at UCLA and transferred. And now he is a backup at Oregon. Who knows where he'll be next year? You sure can pick 'em, Chase!

We should compare Moore's Soph, stats (if he plays) to Riley Leonard's Soph. year.

Unfortunately for you, games are not played by Rival ratings. You sure as hell wouldn't have liked Joe Burrow or Patrick Mahomes -- a low 4* and a 3* -- by the way, National Champion Stetson Bennet was a 2* on rivals.

Why do I waste my time?

Why do I waste my time?

Why do I waste my time?
Riley Leonard stats in the ACC back in 2022 don't mean anything imo the level of competitiveness in that conference is so bad that you can't put any weight on those numbers. Which is the same argument I made when it came to Sam Hartman last year when he was being overhyped.

247 has Sam Hartman Riley Leonard etc types rated as low 4 stars .9200

It's a whole other league with a whole other level of talent at the high P4 level or in the Big 10 and SEC which is relevant to Riley Leonard because at Notre Dame if there is regular season success ND will inevitably run into some of the best teams in the country in the playoff.

There's just not a whole lot of upside in the QB room at Notre Dame and their roster strategy to continue to bring in mid players in the transfer portal is very Notre Dame. This football program hates elite talent elite athletes hates first round talent lol it's like we're an NFL organization trying to win a super bowl with a bunch of 4th-7th round draft picks and anybody with any common sense and critical thinking skills would know that it's virtually impossible

Last edited:
Riley Leonard stats in the ACC back in 2022 don't mean anything imo the level of competitiveness in that conference is so bad that you can't put any weight on those numbers. Which is the same argument I made when it came to Sam Hartman last year when he was being overhyped.

247 has Sam Hartman Riley Leonard etc types rated as low 4 stars .9200

It's a whole other league with a whole other level of talent at the high P4 level or in the Big 10 and SEC which is relevant to Riley Leonard because at Notre Dame if there is regular season success ND will inevitably run into some of the best teams in the country in the playoff.

There's just not a whole lot of upside in the QB room at Notre Dame and their roster strategy to continue to bring in mid players in the transfer portal is very Notre Dame. This football program hates elite talent elite athletes hates first round talent lol it's like we're an NFL organization trying to win a super bowl with a bunch of 4th-7th round draft picks and anybody with any common sense and critical thinking skills would know that it's virtually impossible
How many NCs did the ACC have in the playoff era compared to the Big?

Do you count Jameis Winston's, Trevor Lawrence, Dehaun Watsons, Lamar Jacksons, Drake Mayes stats? Are they all meaningless?

In terms of just pure talent, Riley Leonard is the most talented QB on our roster

Reactions: ZibbyQuinn
I'd take Carr over Moore everyday. So you think ND would have a better chance at a playoff berth with Moore over Leonard ? Good luck with that. Enjoy your rating systems. They rarely if ever tell the whole story, just like statistics. The particulars that lead to final statistics are what matter most. Coaches understand that.
There's a famous quote - "Stats are for losers!" - by a pretty successful coach.

If one of our freshman o lineman start to struggle or the moment seems to big for them , do you think we see tosh baker ?

Someone whoknkows a lot more about football just wrote this:

This Draftnik Ranks Notre Dame’s Riley Leonard as the Top Quarterback on his 2025 NFL Draft Big Board​

This past week, Yahoo! Sports staff writer Nate Tice released his most recent 2025 NFL Draft big board. Notre Dame quarterback Riley Leonard appeared at No. 23, which puts him ahead of all the other signal-callers in the draft class.​

Reactions: IrishMike409
I expect both to play solid, especially in the run game. I understand your reason for giving Pendleton a shorter leash based on Coogan and Rocco having a full season experience to their credit, but I think the fact he beat both out suggests he is a significant upgrade.

I expect both to play solid, especially in the run game. I understand your reason for giving Pendleton a shorter leash based on Coogan and Rocco having a full season experience to their credit, but I think the fact he beat both out suggests he is a significant upgrade.
Agreed. The o-line today has a combined 6 starts, which is concerning. However, since the younger guys beat out older experienced players I'm hopeful they will play well.

You called it Telx --shaky at times but those youngsters got it done in the second half! So proud of how that young offensive line bounced back! Great win --- keep improving!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT