ADVERTISEMENT

Offense could have a Honeymoon Game...means nothing though

IrishFforida

Irish Expert
Jan 7, 2018
By all reports the situation with Chip Long in regards to his relationship with the offensive assistant coaches and the offensive players was quite toxic.

Toxic to the point Brian Kelly, let go of an OC that was at the helm of one of the most statistically successful offenses in school history. Not to mention the team was really "GOOD" over the past 3 seasons (32-6)

When you have those types of situations going on with the leaders of a locker room, board room or small business. The tension is palatable, the moral is usually low and most players / employees are performing their job functions in an uptight tense manner. And productivity is not as high as it could be.

When the person deemed most responsible is terminated, it initially feels like a breath of fresh air, the players / employees can relax, and everyone says all the right things, and for a brief period of time everyone is happy and hopeful. ND should be in that Honeymoon period right now, where everyone is relaxed and having fun. I expect ND to light up the scoreboard on Saturday.

But, IMO if that is considered a Tom Rees audition, and he is given the OC job based on the Offenses performance in the Camping World Bowl, IMO that would be a huge mistake. Even though Chip Long is gone, and someone else is calling the plays, this is Chip Long's offense.

When the Honeymoon is over and make up comes off. You do not want to roll over and be looking at Tom Rees as your OC. I don't care if ND scores 70 on Saturday.

Reactions: irish4life888
By all reports the situation with Chip Long in regards to his relationship with the offensive assistant coaches and the offensive players was quite toxic.

Toxic to the point Brian Kelly, let go of an OC that was at the helm of one of the most statistically successful offenses in school history. Not to mention the team was really "GOOD" over the past 3 seasons (32-6)

When you have those types of situations going on with the leaders of a locker room, board room or small business. The tension is palatable, the moral is usually low and most players / employees are performing their job functions in an uptight tense manner. And productivity is not as high as it could be.

When the person deemed most responsible is terminated, it initially feels like a breath of fresh air, the players / employees can relax, and everyone says all the right things, and for a brief period of time everyone is happy and hopeful. ND should be in that Honeymoon period right now, where everyone is relaxed and having fun. I expect ND to light up the scoreboard on Saturday.

But, IMO if that is considered a Tom Rees audition, and he is given the OC job based on the Offenses performance in the Camping World Bowl, IMO that would be a huge mistake. Even though Chip Long is gone, and someone else is calling the plays, this is Chip Long's offense.

When the Honeymoon is over and make up comes off. You do not want to roll over and be looking at Tom Rees as your OC. I don't care if ND scores 70 on Saturday.
good points hope we light it up Kelly would be out of his mind to appoint Rees

Further complicating things: I'd hate to antagonize/lose Lance Taylor -- (and Will Shipley.) My New Year's Wish: Kelly hires a big name O-coordinator/O-line coach -- he moves Quinn to Tight Ends... and keeps others happy and in the fold... for now.

Makes me wonder if the culture is bad. Why would a successful veteran coach get pushed aside for a young inexperienced position coach who’s the age of a graduate student?

Reactions: irish4life888
He described the situation with Chip Long.
I won’t assume much since I have no idea. What I will state is Rees has no business running the offense unless it’s at Grambling State or something. I don’t hate Tommy, I just hate him as OC.

Makes me wonder if the culture is bad. Why would a successful veteran coach get pushed aside for a young inexperienced position coach who’s the age of a graduate student?
Because he's a dickhead that nobody likes? There was even a snippet on TOS that said Boykin's decision to go the the NFL last year, and forego his last year of eligibility, was driven by his no longer wanting to deal with Long.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat

Great post, I have no idea what happened, but you cannot say Long was a bad OC. Weve had great offensive production, for the most part. I would be very disappointed if I see Rees given the reigns. Nothing personal, just he's not ready for that big of a jump.

So if the offense looks putrid then it’s “See I told you Rees sucks.” If the offense looks unbelievable then it’s “Honeymoon period so it doesn’t count.”

First of all no one said "Rees Sucks". I said the kid has been a FT coach for 2 years and IMO he is not even close to ready. He should NOT be the OC at ND at this moment in time. I think it goes without saying if ND stinks up the place on offense he is not getting the job. The temptation to give him the job would however exist if ND tears up the field on offense. However i think that temptation should be resisted at all costs.

Great post, I have no idea what happened, but you cannot say Long was a bad OC. Weve had great offensive production, for the most part. I would be very disappointed if I see Rees given the reigns. Nothing personal, just he's not ready for that big of a jump.
You may be right. You may not .

If everyone thinks Rees isnt ready, then if next year Rees kills it as an OC, these same people better give Kelly credit for the hire.

We'll see what happens. People acting like they know how Rees will do are just guessing

Reactions: DublinND
First of all no one said "Rees Sucks". I said the kid has been a FT coach for 2 years and IMO he is not even close to ready. He should NOT be the OC at ND at this moment in time. I think it goes without saying if ND stinks up the place on offense he is not getting the job. The temptation to give him the job would however exist if ND tears up the field on offense. However i think that temptation should be resisted at all costs.
I think Rees will be a good coach...one day. But ND is not the place to come cut your teeth. I didn't even agree hiring him as a qb coach. Again, not personal I just didn't believe he was ready for that. I could be, but probably not, would say hiring him at OC would be a colossal mistake.

Reactions: NotreDame du Lac
I won’t assume much since I have no idea. What I will state is Rees has no business running the offense unless it’s at Grambling State or something. I don’t hate Tommy, I just hate him as OC.
I said makes me wonder. That’s not assuming. Two different things.

Because he's a dickhead that nobody likes? There was even a snippet on TOS that said Boykin's decision to go the the NFL last year, and forego his last year of eligibility, was driven by his no longer wanting to deal with Long.
That is certainly interesting. He could be a tool, no question. I’d day if you’re right, he must be really bad because those same kids seem to like Kelly. Some have said that BK is a dick, I’ve heard this for decades. However, I know former players from one of BK’s previous programs that said he’s fine. One of their quotes was “he started out bad, but then got okay as the season went on.” Perhaps Kelly knows how to connect with kids despite his being a dick. Maybe Chip is a dick and cannot connect?

Either way, if I was Chip I would want to leave ND if I had to deal with another year of shitty OL coaching and a head coach that is itching to put Tommy Rees at the OC position.

As stated by 888, no way a 27 year old will command respect from 40+ year old coaches that actually know what they’re doing.

Last edited:

Would that make it a babymoon?

I am high as a Kite savoring yet another GREAT Irish victory !! Life is Good !!

11 and 2 !!!

All is Well !!

Go Irish !!

High on life is what I meant !o_Oo_O:D

Reactions: IrishMike409
Long was not good and this is addition by subtraction just as losing BVG was. Every time we played a top defense our offense went missing. 3 points in the Cotton Bowl, gulp. Run out of the building in Ann Arbor ... even at Georgia we benefit from a muffed punt and take 7 plays to score from the 8. I don’t care if we scored 60 vs BGSU. 3rd and 1 is consistently followed by 4th and 2. Long had to go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT