ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame 2020

Some of who you listed won't be here next year...$$$$ and bad advice too often take precedent.

Having said that it will be more the same and possibly worse than this year...
(Next years schedule on paper is much harder than this daisy schedule of 2019.)
It could be worse than this year because of the competition and the lack of difference makers.

It doesn't matter who's coming in...BK still has to play them. He's extremely reluctant to play freshmen on offense regardless their ability.

We are not a difficult team to play against on offense. Unless that changes (starting with Phil getting normal starter reps and working with the first team) next year could very well be 8-4.

Brian Kelly never has a really good season if the schedule isn't fortunate. On paper the 20 schedule isn't fortunate whatsoever.

That's just not true.

Yes Clemson is slightly more talented than ND, but slightly. Having a generational QB helps but ND has a shot vs them at home next year if book comes back and continues trajectory. Clemson is a few Key five star players more talented than ND.

Wisconsins is SIGNIFICANTLY less talented than ND at every position other than Oline, RB, and CB.

This isn't an NFL evaluation but it's a start.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

NO!

Some of who you listed won't be here next year...$$$$ and bad advice too often take precedent.

It could be worse than this year because of the competition and the lack of difference makers.

It doesn't matter who's coming in...BK still has to play them. He's extremely reluctant to play freshmen on offense regardless their ability.

We are not a difficult team to play against on offense. Unless that changes (starting with Phil getting normal starter reps and working with the first team) next year could very well be 8-4.

Brian Kelly never has a really good season if the schedule isn't fortunate. On paper the 20 schedule isn't fortunate whatsoever.
10 and 2 minimum next year

Reactions: NewMember21
You knock Book all year then you say he's better than the Coan kid ?

Take a gander at his numbers

and the beat goes on..... cue Sonny

Literally all of 2017, 2018 and 2018 show that you’re wrong.

Thanks for trying!!

lol

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
Some positions are deeper than others, IMO... I think the offensive line will be 7 deep in terms of guys that can play. Tight end will be very deep, as is usually the case. Defensive line is not a position I worry about. I think they'll have 5 defensive ends who can play and 5 guys on the interior as well. Safety could be very deep if Gilman returns and still fairly deep if he doesn't...

Positions where there won't be a lot of depth or it will be largely unknown...

QB (unknown)
RB (unknown)
WR (not deep)
Linebacker (unknown)
CB (not deep)
If Book comes back, QB is very deep.

If Jones comes back RB is also very deep....just lacking a proven high end playmaker. We’ll see if Armstrong or Tyree can develop into one.

WR should be unknown with the following players:
  1. Austin
  2. Lenzy
  3. McKinley
  4. Keys
  5. Wilkins
  6. Johnson
Particularly when you consider how often there will only be 2 WR on the field, due to 2 TE sets and RB usage.

If healthy, I see no way LB isn’t deep. But again, it may lack a proven playmaker (at 1 position).
This unit seems proven and deep to me though.

the probable CU loss will be a ‘talent’ loss.
ND has a 50/50 chance to beat Wisc. That will be a pretty equal matchup of coaches and players: a good game for fans!

No way ND loses to another Helton coached USC.
Stanford is in a deep downturn.
Another 2 game schedule. Not your fathers ND.
Oh shit. Its Kelly's and Swarbrick s fault USC hasn't been its usual top 10 self. They should hv foreseen that 4 or 5 years ago when the schedule was made. If Lou was still here that would never happen. And then " ND would still be your Father's ND"

If Book comes back, QB is very deep.

If Jones comes back RB is also very deep....just lacking a proven high end playmaker. We’ll see if Armstrong or Tyree can develop into one.

WR should be unknown with the following players:
  1. Austin
  2. Lenzy
  3. McKinley
  4. Keys
  5. Wilkins
  6. Johnson
Particularly when you consider how often there will only be 2 WR on the field, due to 2 TE sets and RB usage.

If healthy, I see no way LB isn’t deep. But again, it may lack a proven playmaker (at 1 position).
This unit seems proven and deep to me though.

Mckinley probably wont be back for fifth year. I wouldnt be shocked if jafar moves back to wr if cbo doesnt transfer and jones comes back.

Oh shit. Its Kelly's and Swarbrick s fault USC hasn't been its usual top 10 self. They should hv foreseen that 4 or 5 years ago when the schedule was made. If Lou was still here that would never happen. And then " ND would still be your Father's ND"

Ok smart ass. The faux affiliation with ACC had nothing to do with it.

The 2012 and 2017 seasons were two of the best seasons on record under BK and they were against really good schedules. If you don't accept F/+ .. ND went 22-4 those seasons combined with nearly half of those games being against ranked opponents.

The 2012 and 2017 seasons were two of the best seasons on record under BK and they were against really good schedules. If you don't accept F/+ .. ND went 22-4 those seasons combined with nearly half of those games being against ranked opponents.

Teams ranked outside theTop 12 and 13-25 are all pretty much in parity.
So a preponderance of W’s in that group is misleading.
How many W’s inside the top tier group are there?

I agree largely with this point. There's a ton of parity in the 3rd tier of the P5 teams, and I'd put ND at the top end of that tier in the BK era. But these teams are significantly stronger competition than all of the cupcakes ND is playing this season.

One of the great things about F/+ is that it is a schedule-neutral metric. So you can look at ND teams from different years regardless of schedule quality and still get a good idea of how they compare because the quality of their schedule is baked into their rating.

So despite Notre Dame playing a really weak schedule this year their current F/+ rating is on par with the 2015 2017 and 2018 teams. They are doing enough against a weak schedule this season to produce a similar rating to other good recent Notre Dame teams. The problem is is that good isn't good enough to compete with the programs at the top of the mountain and Notre Dame is still a significant distance away from that level.

Last edited:
Mckinley probably wont be back for fifth year. I wouldnt be shocked if jafar moves back to wr if cbo doesnt transfer and jones comes back.

Based on what?

McKinley has been solid and promising enough to get invited back, and we appear to have the spots.

I would be absolutely shocked if Armstrong is moved away from RB full-time.

I agree largely with this point. There's a ton of parity in the 3rd tier of the P5 teams, and I'd put ND at the top end of that tier in the BK era. But these teams are significantly stronger competition than all of the cupcakes ND is playing this season.

One of the great things about F/+ is that it is a schedule-neutral metric. So you can look at ND teams from different years regardless of schedule quality and still get a good idea of how they compare because the quality of their schedule is baked into their rating.

So despite Notre Dame playing a really weak schedule this year their current F/+ rating is on par with the 2015 2017 and 2018 teams. They are doing enough against a week schedule this season to produce a similar rating to other really good recent Notre Dame teams.

Notre Dame is not playing a week schedule at all.

And as always, your reliance on a metric that said that 2018 Alabama was better than 2018 Clemson… After Clemson already blew them out in the championship game… Shows your incompetence.

Notre Dame is a top 10 team again this year, and will again finish there in the rankings.

I know how much that burns you.

This is just dumb.

This is like claiming that there is virtually no difference between Notre Dame and Virginia, USC, Virginia tech and Navy.

The reality is that there’s obviously a large difference, as evidenced by Notre Dame’s 4-0 record against those teams, including multiple dominating victories.

If you want to say that teams in certain groupings are affectively equal, you need to make the groupings far smaller and more narrowly tailored.

Based on what?

McKinley has been solid and promising enough to get invited back, and we appear to have the spots.

I would be absolutely shocked if Armstrong is moved away from RB full-time.
McKinley has been awful as a pass catcher vs power 5 teams, he’s blocked well though. He just isn’t athletic enough to play on the outside.

agree on Armstrong

McKinley has been awful as a pass catcher vs power 5 teams, he’s blocked well though. He just isn’t athletic enough to play on the outside.

agree on Armstrong

He hasn’t gotten much of a chance, particularly with him being a clear boundary receiver and Clay pool soaking up all of those snaps.

He has flashed plenty of athleticism.

This is exactly like when you were bemoaning the lack of athleticism from Miles Boykin… Who has proven to be one of the most athletic receivers and recent college football history.

There seems to be speculation on the various podcasts that McKinley seems to be indicating internally he wants to go somewhere else. Who knows for sure it’s all rumors.

There seems to be speculation on the various podcasts that McKinley seems to be indicating internally he wants to go somewhere else. Who knows for sure it’s all rumors.

Most ND podcasts aren’t worth the RF waves that they occupy.

95% of their “rumors” are manufactured BS from drunk boosters.

Most ND podcasts aren’t worth the RF waves that they occupy.

95% of their “rumors” are manufactured BS from drunk boosters.
I qualified my statement, just sharing info. I have no connections within the industry so I’m forced to at least consider that they may have heard something. If you have more info to share or you’ve heard something or have a connection feel free to share I’d love to hear it.

He hasn’t gotten much of a chance, particularly with him being a clear boundary receiver and Clay pool soaking up all of those snaps.

He has flashed plenty of athleticism.

This is exactly like when you were bemoaning the lack of athleticism from Miles Boykin… Who has proven to be one of the most athletic receivers and recent college football history.
He was combine athletic.... he did not play athletic at ND, he’s not playing athletic at Baltimore and struggling to see the field.

What athletic play did Javon make against a power 5 team?

I qualified my statement, just sharing info. I have no connections within the industry so I’m forced to at least consider that they may have heard something. If you have more info to share or you’ve heard something or have a connection feel free to share I’d love to hear it.

It’s more about knowing who not to listen to, after years of reading/listening to their stuff and appreciating their lack of meaningful info.

I haven’t seen anything meaningful on McKinley, so I find any “rumors” about him to be drunken chatter at best.

Won’t know anything about him until we start to see how our roster and others rosters reshape in December/January.

I’d bet on him being back, given his real chance to win a starting role.

He was combine athletic.... he did not play athletic at ND, he’s not playing athletic at Baltimore and struggling to see the field.

What athletic play did Javon make against a power 5 team?

He played extremely athletic, he made extremely athletic catches...and he’s seen the field quite a bit for a rookie.

You drowned on and on about how slow he was.....and oh we’re literally proven to be an idiot.

Just admit it.
And then admit that everyone should doubt your opinion on similar topics in the future.

You have no other option.

This is just dumb.

This is like claiming that there is virtually no difference between Notre Dame and Virginia, USC, Virginia tech and Navy.

The reality is that there’s obviously a large difference, as evidenced by Notre Dame’s 4-0 record against those teams, including multiple dominating victories.

If you want to say that teams in certain groupings are affectively equal, you need to make the groupings far smaller and more narrowly tailored.

YASF
I expect ND to be a Top 12.
How many teams that ND has W’s against also have 30 point losses?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT