ADVERTISEMENT

No excuses for freeman

The recent decline in the toughness of ND schedule is not ND's fault. Both Stanford and USC have been unusually weak. That wasn't true when the games were scheduled.
"Both Stanford and USC have been unusually weak"

What's your take on USC and UCLA possibly joining the B1G?

You mean like Brian Kelly did during 7 of his 11 seasons yet was never really even rumored to be on the hot seat?

I must admit I'm glad some of you are finally showing some expectations, I just wish you wouldn't have waited for a first time head coach going up against arguably our toughest schedule in a decade. All of this while breaking in a new quarterback.

Crazy how that works.
ONE

Layden lost 3 in his first year; Kuharich, 5; Devine, 3; Faust, 6; Holtz, 6; Davie, 6; Willingham, 3; Weis, 3; Kelly, 5.

Rockne lost 2 of 6 and also had a tie in a Spanish-Flu shortened season. Since a tie counts as both a win and a loss in calculating winning percentages, it’s at least HALF a loss.

Anderson had 2 losses and a tie, i.e. between 2 and 3 losses as well. Same with Devore in interim stint number one.

Other than McKeever who lost 2 as ND’s first interim replacement during the war, the only first-year ND coaches to not lose either 3 games or 2 plus a tie are Harper, Leahy, Brennan and Ara. Among the four of them, there were only 2 losses and 2 ties.

TWO

ND’s Strength of Schedule Rankings
(based on opponents’ combined season-ended records) for each ND coach in year-one starting with Harper:

Harper – 60th/out of 76

Rockne – 11th/72

Anderson – 3rd/110

Layden – 3rd/124

Leahy – 36th/119

McKeever – 5th/95

Devore – 12th/101

Brennan – 12th/111

Kuharich – 8th/112

Ara – 16th/120

Devine – 48th/137

Faust – 15th/137

Holtz – 9th/105

Davie – 23rd/112

Willingham – 11th/117

Weis – 14th/119

Kelly – 12th/120

THREE

I look at this pretty simply. ND is the racing car; the coach is the driver.

A number of ND driver/coaches inherited either extremely good – or at the very least – well above average cars. Among them were Rockne, Anderson, Leahy, Brennan, Devine, Faust and Davie. Three of them turned out to be HOF coaches with NC statues at ND. The other four WASHED OUT.

Will Marcus Freeman be any good?

To me, it's a COIN FLIP.

Heads or tails?

Reactions: ftnfan62
Really? According to who?

Notre Dame plays potentially 3 top 10 teams and another likely top 25 team in BYU. They play no FCS teams and only one MAC level school (Marshall). Stanford, North Carolina, and BC won't be pushovers either.

Our schedule this year stacks up well with anyone's and at the very least will hover around the top 5-10.
I would argue that with a first-year, inexperienced coach the chances of losing to a BC, NC or Stanford actually INCREASE.

People often underestimate what it takes to win against "second-tier" opponents in games where either a letdown or surprise performance by the other side can quickly turn a win into a loss. Experienced winning coaches have been there before and know how to traverse both a) those TOUGH MIDDLE ROUNDS and b) FINE-TUNED END GAMES, where play selection, personnel choices and clock management are all MAGNIFIED.

I can't count the number of close winnable games lost by Faust in 81. He simply couldn't coach IN THE CLINCHES.

ONE

Layden lost 3 in his first year; Kuharich, 5; Devine, 3; Faust, 6; Holtz, 6; Davie, 6; Willingham, 3; Weis, 3; Kelly, 5.

Rockne lost 2 of 6 and also had a tie in a Spanish-Flu shortened season. Since a tie counts as both a win and a loss in calculating winning percentages, it’s at least HALF a loss.

Anderson had 2 losses and a tie, i.e. between 2 and 3 losses as well. Same with Devore in interim stint number one.

Other than McKeever who lost 2 as ND’s first interim replacement during the war, the only first-year ND coaches to not lose either 3 games or 2 plus a tie are Harper, Leahy, Brennan and Ara. Among the four of them, there were only 2 losses and 2 ties.

TWO

ND’s Strength of Schedule Rankings
(based on opponents’ combined season-ended records) for each ND coach in year-one starting with Harper:

Harper – 60th/out of 76

Rockne – 11th/72

Anderson – 3rd/110

Layden – 3rd/124

Leahy – 36th/119

McKeever – 5th/95

Devore – 12th/101

Brennan – 12th/111

Kuharich – 8th/112

Ara – 16th/120

Devine – 48th/137

Faust – 15th/137

Holtz – 9th/105

Davie – 23rd/112

Willingham – 11th/117

Weis – 14th/119

Kelly – 12th/120

THREE

I look at this pretty simply. ND is the racing car; the coach is the driver.

A number of ND driver/coaches inherited either extremely good – or at the very least – well above average cars. Among them were Rockne, Anderson, Leahy, Brennan, Devine, Faust and Davie. Three of them turned out to be HOF coaches with NC statues at ND. The other four WASHED OUT.

Will Marcus Freeman be any good?

To me, it's a COIN FLIP.

Heads or tails?
Yawn.

I am realistic. We should have won the OSU game. So I am concerned but realistic talent is there.
The second half of the OSU game bore a striking resemblance to a SLOW-MOTION UNFORCED-ERROR. Who knows if and when that will happen again?

Yes, ND has talent. But that’s often been the case. Yet, that talent hasn’t always PRODUCED.

Faust had three NUMBER ONE RANKED RECRUITING CLASSES (1981-1983) and a fourth, 1984, which ND ITSELF ranks as either the school’s all-time 7th or 8th best.

Holtz had FOUR STRAIGHT NUMBER ONES (1987- 1990).

But would anyone ever confuse a Lou Holtz team with a Gerry Faust team?

As much as recruiting matters, it’s going to come down JUST AS MUCH to PREPARATION, CONDITIONING, X’s and O’s, LEADERSHIP and LUCK.

No one gets to MANDATE a 9-3 season or better. It may happen or it may not. Nor do all good or bad seasons augur the same thing.

When Faust opened with 5-6 in 81, we all knew what was coming. It was clear as day it meant trouble. But with Holtz’s starting out 5-6, we sensed that a corner had been turned.

Freeman is either going to get it right or not. And it will take either less time to prove out or more.

In the meantime, I don’t see anyone betting their house or car that ND will go 9-3 or better. At least not anyone LUCID.

People have a lot more COMMON SENSE then they often display when pitching a DESIRED OUTCOME.

Reactions: theskibro
The second half of the OSU game bore a striking resemblance to a SLOW-MOTION UNFORCED-ERROR. Who knows if and when that will happen again?

Yes, ND has talent. But that’s often been the case. Yet, that talent hasn’t always PRODUCED.

Faust had three NUMBER ONE RANKED RECRUITING CLASSES (1981-1983) and a fourth, 1984, which ND ITSELF ranks as either the school’s all-time 7th or 8th best.

As much as recruiting matters, it’s going to come down JUST AS MUCH to PREPARATION, CONDITIONING, X’s and O’s, LEADERSHIP and LUCK.

No one gets to MANDATE a 9-3 season or better. It may happen or it may not. Nor do all good or bad seasons augur the same thing.

When Faust opened with 5-6 in 81, we all knew what was coming. It was clear as day it meant trouble. But with Holtz’s starting out 5-6, we sensed that a corner had been turned.

Freeman is either going to get it right or not. And it will take either less time to prove out or more.

In the meantime, I don’t see anyone betting their house or car that ND will go 9-3 or better. At least not anyone LUCID.

People have a lot more COMMON SENSE then they often display when pitching a DESIRED OUTCOME.
If the over/under for ND wins is 8.5 Im putting a ton on the over

"Both Stanford and USC have been unusually weak"

What's your take on USC and UCLA possibly joining the B1G?
We are going and I love it. I grew up in the Midwest and I love the idea of SC competing in a top league. Plus this will give us a huge boast in recruiting. nI think Oregon may come too.

Reactions: Kelso86
Strange. Last year they were 4-8, ND was 11-1.

I dont know what they have returning, I do know ND is returning with more talent. Hard to believe.

This don’t screw with this guy. He knows s—-

2015 they played Texas, Clemson and OSU. Seems pretty similar

2019 they played UGA and Michigan, both away.

2020 they played Clemson twice and AL

Look, I'm not a BK fan. I'm just stating that having Clemson and OSU on our schedule does not make it infinitely harder than the last 10 years. Its as tough of a schedule as we have had in the last 10 years but I just don't buy into that MF has it 100x tougher than BK.

If you want to talk ridiculous schedules, look at some of Lou's schedules and Faust.

1986​

It began with defending Big Ten champ Michigan (quarterbacked by Jim Harbaugh), trips to Michigan State and No. 2 Alabama (helping lead to a 1-4 start), and concluded in the final three games with that year's national champ Penn State, SEC champ LSU in Death Valley, and at USC.

1987​

The Irish won at Michigan (26-7), whacked Big Ten and Rose Bowl champ Michigan State (31-8), and then-No. 10 Alabama (37-6), and Pac-10 champ USC (26-15), before falling at Penn State, national champ Miami and the Aggies to close the season.
To give you an idea of how onerous the schedules were back then, consider that while winning the national title the next season the Irish defeated four teams that finished in the AP top 10

1990​

This is a season when the Irish beat co-Big Ten champs Michigan and Michigan State, defending national champ Miami, SEC champ Tennessee in Knoxville and USC in the Coliseum and Penn State. It lost, 10-9, to No. 1 Colorado in the Orange Bowl, possibly costing it a share of the national title.

1985​

Fifth-year head coach Gerry Faust.
His era concluded with losses to No. 1 Penn State (36-6), No. 17 LSU (10-7) and at No. 4 Miami (58-7). Other defeats included 20-12 at a Michigan team that finished No. 2 in the land

OSU was a bowl gm in 15

Al was a bowl game in 20, playoff
I know, he is including the bowl games in comparing the seasons. So pencil in another top 10 matchup for ND this post season.

Realistically, you can't compare Faust to anyone. The man was a high school coach with zero college experience prior to taking the ND job. Call it what it is, a complete screw up by the then administration in hiring him.

Freeman has almost a decade of college level experience. I would say he's more qualified for the position then even Weis was. Weis was so far removed from the college level, any previous experience he had really doesn't count. Sure he was an NFL OC, but college football is very different from the NFL.

Reactions: Golson5
I know, he is including the bowl games in comparing the seasons. So pencil in another top 10 matchup for ND this post season.
Ohio State and Alabama where a bit more to handle than Ok. St and Iowa State for BK.

But yes, take the bowl games out and BK's best schedules typically included 2, top 10 caliber teams as his best years. Over his 10 years, rarely did he play more than 1, top 10 team.

No more, no less. Doesnt mean he should win. Doesnt mean he should not get a few years. I just means this baloney that 2022 is infinately harder than any BK year is just that, baloney.
Realistically, you can't compare Faust to anyone. The man was a high school coach with zero college experience prior to taking the ND job. Call it what it is, a complete screw up by the then administration in hiring him.

Freeman has almost a decade of college level experience. I would say he's more qualified for the position then even Weis was. Weis was so far removed from the college level, any previous experience he had really doesn't count. Sure he was an NFL OC, but college football is very different from the NFL.

I don't believe anyone was comparing MF to Faust. The topic was SOS. Our 2022 schedule is tough, just more in line with Kelly's toughest years. Lou had some really tough draws. 22 is no cake walk, OSU is as tough a draw as they come. The rest, I'm guessing Only Clemson will be in the top 10 when we play.

a bad season and the bloom is off the rose with recruits also

We brought back Kelly after a 4 and 8 season so obviously we arent that impatient
Kelly was given a six (6) year contract in January of 2016 so tell us how ND “brought Kelly back” after the 2016 season.

ND had a legal and financial obligation to continue Kelly as the HC for another five (5) years after the 2016 season.

Plus, he had an outstanding record prior to the 2016 season.

Kelly was given a six (6) year contract in January of 2016 so tell us how ND “brought Kelly back” after the 2016 season.

ND had a legal and financial obligation to continue Kelly as the HC for another five (5) years after the 2016 season.

Plus, he had an outstanding record prior to the 2016 season.
We brought him back. He would have been fired at a lot of places after the 16 season.

Jack forced him to make changes and it worked out

His record was not outstanding prior to 16. It was good. Not outstanding

We brought him back. He would have been fired at a lot of places after the 16 season.

Jack forced him to make changes and it worked out

His record was not outstanding prior to 16. It was good. Not outstanding
Yeah and jack went to the market and determined he couldn’t get better at the tome

I want this guy to win more than I want Shakira to give me a lap dance but I am already seeing excuses being made like this 22 schedule is tough n Kelly would lose 3-4 games. Enough!

No excuses. Ball out. I always expect the W. If Fichigan can muck up buckeyes than we should also
Damn Dude, can the man & his staff get a season? Jesus. Glad you are not in the decision-making room....

Reactions: NDinNJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT