ADVERTISEMENT

No excuses for freeman

I want this guy to win more than I want Shakira to give me a lap dance but I am already seeing excuses being made like this 22 schedule is tough n Kelly would lose 3-4 games. Enough!

No excuses. Ball out. I always expect the W. If Fichigan can muck up buckeyes than we should also
This post looks like it was from a rival fan or at least from a fan that does not want Freeman.

So your motive is coming through loud and clear.

That being said, let me ask you this, if Kelly was still the coach, what would your win’s and loses expectations be???

When was the last time ND had a schedule that included OSU and Clemson???

That being said, I have ND beating OSU. So 12-0 or 11-1

However, ND will win a bowl game this season!!!

"ND is one of a few teams with more than one appearance in the playoffs. ND has a demonstrated ability to make the playoff, and if memory serves was one play away from wining natty under the playoff system.."

Beach -- love your posts, respect many things you state -- but, I am not sure what "one-play" you are referring to relative to the playoff system. the 2 times ND made the playoffs, Clemson and Bama pretty much manhandled ND from start to finish -- to be be a "play away from winning a natty" would presume ND was in the championship game -- something that has never happened.

BTW -- what is the initial overview of Riley from the USC angle?
Meaning if KSU didn’t lose in 2012, putting Bama in the game

Reactions: Kelso86
You mean like Brian Kelly did during 7 of his 11 seasons yet was never really even rumored to be on the hot seat?

I must admit I'm glad some of you are finally showing some expectations, I just wish you wouldn't have waited for a first time head coach going up against arguably our toughest schedule in a decade. All of this while breaking in a new quarterback.

Crazy how that works.
Speak for yourself or many others. I always maintained Kelly was a phony self serving clown and should have been let go many years ago. Credit? Sure for winning seasons Just not good enough. And his exit is his legacy

Reactions: Weisnheimer
This post looks like it was from a rival fan or at least from a fan that does not want Freeman.

So your motive is coming through loud and clear.

That being said, let me ask you this, if Kelly was still the coach, what would your win’s and loses expectations be???

When was the last time ND had a schedule that included OSU and Clemson???

That being said, I have ND beating OSU. So 12-0 or 11-1

However, ND will win a bowl game this season!!!
My expectation during Kelly’s years was always the same. Natty. But of course I knew that would never happen. That’s the point. During Lou that was expectation. And it happened n should have a second time. During David, Ty, Weiss, same expectation but like Kelly I knew it would never happen. Freeman? I believe it can happen. Last time I felt this way was Lou

Reactions: Zorich 88
Speak for yourself or many others. I always maintained Kelly was a phony self serving clown and should have been let go many years ago. Credit? Sure for winning seasons Just not good enough. And his exit is his legacy
Yet he left on his own merit with no real threats of ever being fired. So your threat of Freeman "better not lose 3 games" when you consider the job security of the previous coach, the difficult schedule, Freeman's first year as a head coach, and breaking in a new QB is beyond ridiculous.

Again the uptick in expectations is welcome but people need to be realistic this year.

I want this guy to win more than I want Shakira to give me a lap dance but I am already seeing excuses being made like this 22 schedule is tough n Kelly would lose 3-4 games. Enough!

No excuses. Ball out. I always expect the W. If Fichigan can muck up buckeyes than we should also
"I want this guy to win more than I want Shakira to give me a lap dance-----". Hmm, tough call for me.

Reactions: Weisnheimer
Reading comprehension is important. As I stated in my comment "to be competitive at the elite level."
If you call those previous playoff appearances competitive, you clearly are a fool.
According to your tight rules, how many teams are competitive at the elite level? 1? 2? 3?

According to your tight rules, how many teams are competitive at the elite level? 1? 2? 3?
I'm just spitballing here but I'm guessing he means to be "competitive at an elite level" you need to at least be competitive in big games. Especially in the postseason.

Notre Dame never was under Kelly, and that is why he's not considered a great coach by many on here.

Reactions: Chitown11
Reading comprehension is important. As I stated in my comment "to be competitive at the elite level."
If you call those previous playoff appearances competitive, you clearly are a fool.

You do realize that sjb is savvy’s paid site handle right?

• Haha
Reactions: NDinNJ
I'm just spitballing here but I'm guessing he means to be "competitive at an elite level" you need to at least be competitive in big games. Especially in the postseason.

Notre Dame never was under Kelly, and that is why he's not considered a great coach by many on here.
How many teams are?

Yet he left on his own merit with no real threats of ever being fired. So your threat of Freeman "better not lose 3 games" when you consider the job security of the previous coach, the difficult schedule, Freeman's first year as a head coach, and breaking in a new QB is beyond ridiculous.

Again the uptick in expectations is welcome but people need to be realistic this year.
I am realistic. We should have won the OSU game. So I am concerned but realistic talent is there.

How many teams are?
That's a dumb retort. Notre Dame is one of the greatest college football programs of all-time.
Ohio State
Alabama
Georgia
Clemson as of recently

Notre Dame should be on that list. The goal of the program is to win a National Championship. Notre Dame does not have the consolation option of winning a conference as do most schools. l

Reactions: SIhoosier26
That's a dumb retort. Notre Dame is one of the greatest college football programs of all-time.
Ohio State
Alabama
Georgia
Clemson as of recently

Notre Dame should be on that list. The goal of the program is to win a National Championship. Notre Dame does not have the consolation option of winning a conference as do most schools. l
If Notre Dame played by the same academic rules, and the same rules the SEC does acquiring players, we would agree.

Maybe more McDonald's bags would have helped to beat Alabama two seasons ago.

I am realistic. We should have won the OSU game. So I am concerned but realistic talent is there.
So because we almost beat Oklahoma State in the bowl game (almost). Then we should be able to go on the road and knock off the number one team in the country starting next year. Got it.

Your expectations are ridiculous and unfair to Freeman this year, there's no way you're not going to be disappointed

If Notre Dame played by the same academic rules, and the same rules the SEC does acquiring players, we would agree.

This is absolutely ridiculous when you consider Notre Dame's history and the way Freeman has recruited since Kelly left.

More excuses for Kelly though, it's all you've got. Based on your posting you should be the lead man for his PR team.

This is absolutely ridiculous when you consider Notre Dame's history and the way Freeman has recruited since Kelly left.

More excuses for Kelly though, it's all you've got. Based on your posting you should be the lead man for his PR team.
Notre Dame's "History," one title in the last 45 years, and none in the last 34 years, means nothing in 2022.

Brian Kelly earned his 95 million guaranteed.

If you go back and look at BK's 10 years, most of those years had 1 top ranked team each year. Michigan, OK, NC (at that time), blah blah ......

They always have USC, every year.

There were only a few years I saw in 10 years where ND (not including bowls) had 2 top 10 teams. Clemson/Tx.....Clemson/Michigan......UGA/Michigan. Most of those years he split.

So 2022 is not really tougher than any BK year, we have OSU. We have 2, perennial power houses in Clemson and OSU. We play USC, as we do every year and they have talent every year, they have a good coach finally.

So I dont think its fair to say that this schedule is tougher than any BK schedule. I think it is fair to say that BK did not play a schedule that included more than 2 top teams a year.

The question for me; Is MF like Day, stepping into a great situation and making it even better. Or is he like Lou, where he needs to rebuild them from the ground up. Or is he like Davie, a DC that was not ready for a HC job.

Only the next 4 years answers that.

Reactions: sjb75
So because we almost beat Oklahoma State in the bowl game (almost). Then we should be able to go on the road and knock off the number one team in the country starting next year. Got it.

Your expectations are ridiculous and unfair to Freeman this year, there's no way you're not going to be disappointed
You make no sense. And you accept mediocrity and grovel in it like a pig in mud. Enjoy that. I want and expect more

answer this- is Michigan better than ND? We all know the answer to that.
Yet they beat OSU
Does anyone really think accepting 3 losses is realistic and acceptable?

does anyone think that our talent is not good enough - minus the QB - to beat or compete with the top teams? With a good QB I think we have the right to expect good things

You make no sense. And you accept mediocrity and grovel in it like a pig in mud. Enjoy that. I want and expect more

Yet they beat OSU

does anyone think that our talent is not good enough - minus the QB - to beat or compete with the top teams? With a good QB I think we have the right to expect good things
Purdue beat OSU one year when they had like 4 or 5 wins on the season. Blew them out

Using that reasoning is just silly

3 losses is realistic. Its the low end of what we could be this year.

9 to 12 wins is the range

Yet they beat OSU

Lol I accept mediocrity? Because I think we could lose 3 games this year.

Is this a joke?

Reactions: BGI User 756
If you go back and look at BK's 10 years, most of those years had 1 top ranked team each year. Michigan, OK, NC (at that time), blah blah ......

There were only a few years I saw in 10 years where ND (not including bowls) had 2 top 10 teams. Clemson/Tx.....Clemson/Michigan......UGA/Michigan. Most of those years he split.

So 2022 is not really tougher than any BK year, we have OSU. We have 2, perennial power houses in Clemson and OSU. We play USC, as we do every year and they have talent every year, they have a good coach finally.

So I dont think its fair to say that this schedule is tougher than any BK schedule. I think it is fair to say that BK did not play a schedule that included more than 2 top teams a year.

The question for me; Is MF like Day, stepping into a great situation and making it even better. Or is he like Lou, where he needs to rebuild them from the ground up. Or is he like Davie, a DC that was not ready for a HC job.

"The question for me; Is MF like Day, stepping into a great situation and making it even better. Or is he like Lou, where he needs to rebuild them from the ground up. Or is he like Davie, a DC that was not ready for a HC job."

I think Freeman is a DC that was probably more fundamentally ready than Davie to be a HC. That said, he is not getting a ready made offense like Day (and, Day is more of an offensive coach than Freeman -- and probably Rees), but, also, he does not need to rebuild them from the ground up like Lou.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Having UTexas stand in as a top team is a stretch. They have not been good outside of maybe 2018 when we did not play them.

Having UTexas stand in as a top team is a stretch. They have not been good outside of maybe 2018 when we did not play them.
Agree but they would be considered a tough out. They have some playmakers.

Point being this years would be on par with BK’s toughest years.

You haven't seen recruiting lately. Kelly wasn't going after the elite athletes Freeman is. He's working hard where Kelly wasn't.

Notre Dame's "History," one title in the last 45 years, and none in the last 34 years, means nothing in 2022.

Brian Kelly earned his 95 million guaranteed.
You are in the wrong forum. You should be in the LSU forum.

Good for Kelly on his 95 million guaranteed. He has a great agent who fooled LSU into spending that money on their 3rd or 4th choice. Kelly's agent was smart and used the leverage Kelly had to get that deal.

Last edited:
Agree but they would be considered a tough out. They have some playmakers.

Point being this years would be on par with BK’s toughest years.
That's a stretch. Clemson and anOSU are both top three programs. Kelly's 2nd toughest opponent is never that good.

Very Good post.

I will say this regarding Marcus Freeman. If he continues to recruit like his coaching staff has, I will take my chances with how he and his staff coaches. Lou inherited a dumpster fire from Faust, so did Brian Kelly from Charlie Weis. This coaching situation, like you said, is a 180 from Holtz and Kelly. Marcus Freeman inherited a turnkey home. Despite that, MF to this point, has upgraded what he inherited.

Last edited:

Good for Kelly on his 95 million guaranteed. He has a great agent who fooled LSU into spending that money on their 3rd or 4th choice. Kelly's agent was smart and used the leverage Kelly had to get that deal.
Preparation and opportunity.

He did a Weis to LSU!

• Haha
Reactions: NDinNJ
That's a stretch. Clemson and anOSU are both top three programs. Kelly's 2nd toughest opponent is never that good.

2015 they played Texas, Clemson and OSU. Seems pretty similar

2019 they played UGA and Michigan, both away.

2020 they played Clemson twice and AL

Look, I'm not a BK fan. I'm just stating that having Clemson and OSU on our schedule does not make it infinitely harder than the last 10 years. Its as tough of a schedule as we have had in the last 10 years but I just don't buy into that MF has it 100x tougher than BK.

If you want to talk ridiculous schedules, look at some of Lou's schedules and Faust.

1986​

It began with defending Big Ten champ Michigan (quarterbacked by Jim Harbaugh), trips to Michigan State and No. 2 Alabama (helping lead to a 1-4 start), and concluded in the final three games with that year's national champ Penn State, SEC champ LSU in Death Valley, and at USC.

1987​

The Irish won at Michigan (26-7), whacked Big Ten and Rose Bowl champ Michigan State (31-8), and then-No. 10 Alabama (37-6), and Pac-10 champ USC (26-15), before falling at Penn State, national champ Miami and the Aggies to close the season.
To give you an idea of how onerous the schedules were back then, consider that while winning the national title the next season the Irish defeated four teams that finished in the AP top 10

1990​

This is a season when the Irish beat co-Big Ten champs Michigan and Michigan State, defending national champ Miami, SEC champ Tennessee in Knoxville and USC in the Coliseum and Penn State. It lost, 10-9, to No. 1 Colorado in the Orange Bowl, possibly costing it a share of the national title.

1985​

Fifth-year head coach Gerry Faust.
His era concluded with losses to No. 1 Penn State (36-6), No. 17 LSU (10-7) and at No. 4 Miami (58-7). Other defeats included 20-12 at a Michigan team that finished No. 2 in the land

Do you think I care what Driskell says?

I dont post all his info on here and then go act like I cant stand him.

All my opinions are my own

I see this season being between 9 and 12 reg season wins

Way to commit. 25% margin for error. That's like saying, "I should get a grade between an "A" and a "C". lol

Reactions: theskibro
Dude, you can't wait for Freeman to fail and I don't understand why. Give the guy a chance. Brian Kelly had 12 years - I repeat - 12 friggin' years here. Don't try to run Freeman off after one. His team may be worse than 9-3 or the Irish might be national champions. No one knows until they step on the field and play out this schedule. Hell, Lou Holtz went 5-6 his first year. He recovered rather nicely.

IrishBeer has mentioned about 15 times that he likes the hire and is wishing him the best. He points out MFs recruiting acumen, always. He doesn't want him to fail. On these points, he and I, and probably the OP, ski, would probably agree. I don't see you here, at least posting, to draw the conclusion that IrishBeer wants MF to fail. Nobody here (except the usc fan D1040) wants him to fail. His politics just suck. lol

Well Kelly's results were good enough to keep the job for 10+ years, or as long as he wanted it. Kelly had aslo proven a lot more as a head coach than Freeman has at this point.

It also doesn't help that Notre Dame's schedule next year would be either the first or second best that Kelly played in his entire tenure. So while nobody would get excited about 9-3 it would certainly be understandable.

Without a CCG, they HAVE to play a tough schedule every year. At least schedule the tough teams.

Reactions: theskibro
Without a CCG, they HAVE to play a tough schedule every year. At least schedule the tough teams.
I agree that was my point. Under Kelly the schedules got weaker and weaker. Hell, the last few years we scheduled like a mid major.

2015 they played Texas, Clemson and OSU. Seems pretty similar

2019 they played UGA and Michigan, both away.

2020 they played Clemson twice and AL

Look, I'm not a BK fan. I'm just stating that having Clemson and OSU on our schedule does not make it infinitely harder than the last 10 years. Its as tough of a schedule as we have had in the last 10 years but I just don't buy into that MF has it 100x tougher than BK.

If you want to talk ridiculous schedules, look at some of Lou's schedules and Faust.

1986​

It began with defending Big Ten champ Michigan (quarterbacked by Jim Harbaugh), trips to Michigan State and No. 2 Alabama (helping lead to a 1-4 start), and concluded in the final three games with that year's national champ Penn State, SEC champ LSU in Death Valley, and at USC.

1987​

The Irish won at Michigan (26-7), whacked Big Ten and Rose Bowl champ Michigan State (31-8), and then-No. 10 Alabama (37-6), and Pac-10 champ USC (26-15), before falling at Penn State, national champ Miami and the Aggies to close the season.
To give you an idea of how onerous the schedules were back then, consider that while winning the national title the next season the Irish defeated four teams that finished in the AP top 10

1990​

This is a season when the Irish beat co-Big Ten champs Michigan and Michigan State, defending national champ Miami, SEC champ Tennessee in Knoxville and USC in the Coliseum and Penn State. It lost, 10-9, to No. 1 Colorado in the Orange Bowl, possibly costing it a share of the national title.

1985​

Fifth-year head coach Gerry Faust.
His era concluded with losses to No. 1 Penn State (36-6), No. 17 LSU (10-7) and at No. 4 Miami (58-7). Other defeats included 20-12 at a Michigan team that finished No. 2 in the land
OSU was a bowl gm in 15

Al was a bowl game in 20, playoff

Way to commit. 25% margin for error. That's like saying, "I should get a grade between an "A" and a "C". lol
That's a low end to high end of where this team should be.

If we maximize our ability we can hit 12. If we have injuries or a few guys not be who we think they are 9.

Its a realistic outlook. Not a homer or a hater outlook

I agree that was my point. Under Kelly the schedules got weaker and weaker. Hell, the last few years we scheduled like a mid major.
The recent decline in the toughness of ND schedule is not ND's fault. Both Stanford and USC have been unusually weak. That wasn't true when the games were scheduled.

The recent decline in the toughness of ND schedule is not ND's fault. Both Stanford and USC have been unusually weak. That wasn't true when the games were scheduled.
True with USC but they never really had a good coach with Kelly at Notre Dame and he absolutely benefited from that. Stanford isn't really a national power, their academic standards won't allow for it.

Reactions: tbonesays and 4-4-3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT