ADVERTISEMENT

No excuses for freeman

Freeman was there and the team is stacked. Look at Ryan Day. 5 years and 4 of the 5 years only one loss.

I think BK left us in a good spot and MF is not new and kept his staff. Lou walked into a crap storm.

Should just be reloading this year.

Freeman was there and the team is stacked. Look at Ryan Day. 5 years and 4 of the 5 years only one loss.

I think BK left us in a good spot and MF is not new and kept his staff. Lou walked into a crap storm.

Should just be reloading this year.
Meyer left Ryan Day with a championship team, big difference. BK left ND thin at Wr, an unproven QB room with zero to little game experience, and not enough elite athletes to be competitive at the elite level. All of the above are changing for the better, and that will take 2-3 seasons. That's the reality.

BK shopping down a different aisle was never going to get ND a championship. MF is changing that, so 9-3, 10-2 is definitely a a good year for the program considering it's the first time in a long time that ND has potentially 3, possibly 4 top 10 teams on the schedule.

I want this guy to win more than I want Shakira to give me a lap dance but I am already seeing excuses being made like this 22 schedule is tough n Kelly would lose 3-4 games. Enough!

No excuses. Ball out. I always expect the W. If Fichigan can muck up buckeyes than we should also
Freeman is off to a great start in his selection of coaches and recruiting. As for the bottom line results, I think the play of Buchner and the play of our corner opposite Hart will dictate whether we’re a 3-4 loss team or playing competitive ball in the playoffs.

Meyer left Ryan Day with a championship team, big difference. BK left ND thin at Wr, an unproven QB room with zero to little game experience, and not enough elite athletes to be competitive at the elite level. All of the above are changing for the better, and that will take 2-3 seasons. That's the reality.

BK shopping down a different aisle was never going to get ND a championship. MF is changing that, so 9-3, 10-2 is definitely a a good year for the program considering it's the first time in a long time that ND has potentially 3, possibly 4 top 10 teams on the schedule.
It was a common refrain towards the end of last season that ND would be a top 5 team heading into 2022. This is a tougher schedule than the past couple years, but still a loaded roster.

Why do you think Notre Dame should win more than 10 games this year?

I'm assuming you are using recent team success, recruiting and projecting what teams have coming back.

Thats what I'm using to say we'll have a tougher schedule

Ohio State
Clemson
USC
BYU

Then every team has 1 close game that shouldnt be close.

Thats 5 possible trip up games to me. I say we win 3 of those and am predicting 10 and 2
ND could lose to tOSU but could also win. I don't know much about Clemson this year. Unless ND players vote to play in street clothes there is no way you lose to us (USC) this year. BYU has 19 starters returning but those starters aren't up to ND starters.

Words I thought I would never write: I agree with Golson. 10-2 or better, balance an unexpected close game with a great game against a tough team.

ND could lose to tOSU but could also win. I don't know much about Clemson this year. Unless ND players vote to play in street clothes there is no way you lose to us (USC) this year. BYU has 19 starters returning but those starters aren't up to ND starters.

Words I thought I would never write: I agree with Golson. 10-2 or better, balance an unexpected close game with a great game against a tough team.
Fight On.

Notre Dame isn't "2-3 seasons away..." from having the ability to make the 4-team Playoff, which is "elite level." To say Notre Dame does not have enough athletes to make the CFB Playoff is ridiculous.

The current roster is more than capable today to make a run at the 4-team Playoff, something Notre Dame has accomplished twice in the last 4 seasons.

Last edited:
Notre Dame isn't "2-3 seasons away..." from having the ability to make the 4-team Playoff, which is "elite level." To say Notre Dame does not have enough athletes to make the CFB Playoff is ridiculous.

The current roster is more than capable today to make a run at the 4-team Playoff, something Notre Dame has accomplished twice in the last 4 seasons.
ND is one of a few teams with more than one appearance in the playoffs. ND has a demonstrated ability to make the playoff, and if memory serves was one play away from wining natty under the playoff system..

The "44-6" crowd needs to take a look at the strength of schedule. A lot of that 44 is padding from ACC basketball schools and even tier 2 football schools having a down year such as Wiscy & VaTech.
And if going 44-6 was so easy, if having the longest winning streak in the nation against unranked teams was so easy, if making two 4-team Playoffs in the last 4 seasons was so easy, everyone would do it.

A costly contract extension is a great way to learn patience. IF BK went 4-8 in 2015 then Jack S would likely have been spurred to action.

I would guess at least 8 out of 10 CFB coaches would want to have the 2010 ND roster even without Clausen&Tate. What say you?
Depends. Are those players developed and have they been part of a positive culture in their program ?

Dude, you can't wait for Freeman to fail and I don't understand why. Give the guy a chance. Brian Kelly had 12 years - I repeat - 12 friggin' years here. Don't try to run Freeman off after one. His team may be worse than 9-3 or the Irish might be national champions. No one knows until they step on the field and play out this schedule. Hell, Lou Holtz went 5-6 his first year. He recovered rather nicely.
Yep, and Lou's last few years were certainly nothing to brag about.

Reactions: Kelso86
ND is one of a few teams with more than one appearance in the playoffs. ND has a demonstrated ability to make the playoff, and if memory serves was one play away from wining natty under the playoff system..
"ND is one of a few teams with more than one appearance in the playoffs. ND has a demonstrated ability to make the playoff, and if memory serves was one play away from wining natty under the playoff system.."

Beach -- love your posts, respect many things you state -- but, I am not sure what "one-play" you are referring to relative to the playoff system. the 2 times ND made the playoffs, Clemson and Bama pretty much manhandled ND from start to finish -- to be be a "play away from winning a natty" would presume ND was in the championship game -- something that has never happened.

BTW -- what is the initial overview of Riley from the USC angle?

If Buchner goes down, we can definitely lose to SC

"ND is one of a few teams with more than one appearance in the playoffs. ND has a demonstrated ability to make the playoff, and if memory serves was one play away from wining natty under the playoff system.."

Beach -- love your posts, respect many things you state -- but, I am not sure what "one-play" you are referring to relative to the playoff system. the 2 times ND made the playoffs, Clemson and Bama pretty much manhandled ND from start to finish -- to be be a "play away from winning a natty" would presume ND was in the championship game -- something that has never happened.

BTW -- what is the initial overview of Riley from the USC angle?
You are not sure because I was wrong, the play I was thinking of predated the playoffs. Thank you for the correction.

The overview of Riley is that fans cannot even believe the changes he is making and are ecstatic. He took SC from 125 in class ranking to sixth or so even though he took over the team a few weeks before LOI day. He also got rid of 11 bad attitude guys.

That being said, most fans are way too optimistic about next season. We have an ok o-line and a horrid d-line, I am thinking 8-4 with 10-2 max. Most likely 9-3 with no chance of beating SC or Utah.

Reactions: Kelso86
If Buchner goes down, we can definitely lose to SC
I understand your point but I think even then your line dominates our D-line so much that our offense will be neutralized, sitting on the sideline. I think you would still win.

Last edited:
Well I’m not going to get into whose opinion is worth mentioning or not but many fans and media are saying we go 9-3

that’s excuses. That’s more of the same Kelly bs
Well Kelly's results were good enough to keep the job for 10+ years, or as long as he wanted it. Kelly had aslo proven a lot more as a head coach than Freeman has at this point.

It also doesn't help that Notre Dame's schedule next year would be either the first or second best that Kelly played in his entire tenure. So while nobody would get excited about 9-3 it would certainly be understandable.

Reactions: 4-4-3
Is anyone pushing this championship or bust mentality going to mention the schedule? If Notre Dame had last year's schedule I would have them 11-1. The problem is that our schedule this year is miles better than the schedules Kelly went up against on a regular basis.

I don't care how good your team is, schedule is one of the most important aspects of guessing how a team is going to look.

Brian Kelly in the last two years won 21 games, if those 21 wins Notre Dame's only ranked win was against Navy.

I would bet my house on this schedule being tougher.
And if having the longest winning streak against unranked teams in CFB was so easy, everyone would do it.

• Haha
Reactions: Chitown11
Did any regular season opponent other than Cinci end up being ranked last year? tOSU will certainly be this year. USC may end up in the top 25, as may BYU and Clemson. Looks like a much harder schedule this year to me.

Last edited:
Did any regular season opponent other than Cinci end up being ranked last year? tOSU will certainly be this year. USC may end up in the top 25, as may BYU and Clemson. Looks like a much harder schedule this year to me.
Ask me about the schedule this November. Then we will know.

I was told SC is a 1 point favorite in early lines. I was not able to find confirmation.
Wow. Grab that and bet all you have and can borrow. ND by more than 10. Also, because SC is so close to Vegas, it tends to be over bet, but this is ridiculous, if accurate.

I want this guy to win more than I want Shakira to give me a lap dance but I am already seeing excuses being made like this 22 schedule is tough n Kelly would lose 3-4 games. Enough!

No excuses. Ball out. I always expect the W. If Fichigan can muck up buckeyes than we should also
No way Shakira gives you a lap dance

Reactions: sjb75
OSU is a top 3 team, Clemson will probably be top 5-10 let alone top 25, my guess is that USC will be around 15 with a competent coach and BYU is also massively underrated. Only one of those games is at home by the way.

Beating any one of those teams would be Notre Dame's best win in going on 3 years. People pretending this schedule is anything but incredibly difficult are hoping Freeman fails so they can either be correct or just use it to prop up Kelly's accomplishments.

Anyone paying attention should know that Kelly would go 9-3 at best with this schedule, especially if his career record against top teams is taken into consideration.

OSU is a top 3 team, Clemson will probably be top 5-10 let alone top 25, my guess is that USC will be around 15 with a competent coach and BYU is also massively underrated. Only one of those games are at home by the way.

Beating any one of those teams would be Notre Dame's best win in going on 3 years. People pretending this schedule is anything but incredibly difficult are hoping Freeman fails so they can either be correct or just use it to prop up Kelly's accomplishments.

Anyone paying attention should know that Kelly would go 9-3 at best with this schedule, especially if his career record against top teams is taken into consideration.
BYU?? Alabama, Ole Miss, at Auburn, at TAM, at Arkansas, at Florida, and Tennessee is what faces Brian Kelly, just in league. And Florida St. in non league.

"...incredibly difficult..." is all relative.

Last edited:
Alabama, Ole Miss, at Auburn, at TAM, at Arkansas, at Florida, and Tennessee is what faces Brian Kelly, just in league. And Florida St. in non league.

"...incredibly difficult..." is all relative.
In what league? I was talking about who he coached against at Notre Dame, I couldn't care less who he plays in the SEC as he's no longer our problem.

I would also be willing to bet he'll struggle in the SEC, especially early on. But congrats on yet another post propping up your boy Kelly that has zero relevance to this conversation.

In what league? I was talking about who he coached against at Notre Dame, I couldn't care less who he plays in the SEC as he's no longer our problem.

I would also be willing to bet he'll struggle in the SEC, especially early on. But congrats on yet another post propping up your boy Kelly that has zero relevance to this conversation.
Marcus Freeman's "incredibly difficult..." schedule as you put it, is not as difficult as many other schedules across the country.

Marcus Freeman's "incredibly difficult..." schedule as you put it, is not as difficult as many other schedules across the country.
Really? According to who?

Notre Dame plays potentially 3 top 10 teams and another likely top 25 team in BYU. They play no FCS teams and only one MAC level school (Marshall). Stanford, North Carolina, and BC won't be pushovers either.

Our schedule this year stacks up well with anyone's and at the very least will hover around the top 5-10.

Reactions: 4-4-3

Reading comprehension is important. As I stated in my comment "to be competitive at the elite level."
If you call those previous playoff appearances competitive, you clearly are a fool.

It sounds like there are a lot of people in here that are hoping MF loses 3 games so they can celebrate. Weird bunch.
We need a banner

9-3 is a good enough start.
Really? According to who?

Notre Dame plays potentially 3 top 10 teams and another likely top 25 team in BYU. They play no FCS teams and only one MAC level school (Marshall). Stanford, North Carolina, and BC won't be pushovers either.

Our schedule this year stacks up well with anyone's and at the very least will hover around the top 5-10.
Sounds like variation of Bama cannot play itself.

Reactions: Chitown11
NIL is a runaway train that makes the future of college football uncertain. A lot of sponsors throwing around big bucks are going to be very unhappy with their return on investment! Maybe the disappointments will self regulate NIL’s. Either way, a whole new hierarchy may emerge.

Reactions: Telx1
No way Freeman better lose 3 games
You mean like Brian Kelly did during 7 of his 11 seasons yet was never really even rumored to be on the hot seat?

I must admit I'm glad some of you are finally showing some expectations, I just wish you wouldn't have waited for a first time head coach going up against arguably our toughest schedule in a decade. All of this while breaking in a new quarterback.

Crazy how that works.

Reactions: NDinNJ
NIL is a runaway train that makes the future of college football uncertain. A lot of sponsors throwing around big bucks are going to be very unhappy with their return on investment! Maybe the disappointments will self regulate NIL’s. Either way, a whole new hierarchy may emerge.
Aren't you a USC fan? You should be happy with the way things have transpired so far in the NIL world.

Reactions: Golson5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT