ADVERTISEMENT

ND vs Nothern Illinois game thread

No pass plays over 15 yards. He can't make the throws
We had time for three quick passes. He dropped way back and only threw when the pressure got through, which came very quickly.

MF, and MD are not serious coaches.

There is no way this is what they saw all fall and were like “this guy is the clear starter.”

This happened because they spent money on NIL and were hoping he’d look better against lesser defenses.
Exactly. 2nd year in a row they anointed a transfer QB. They could have bit the bullet last year and went with Angeli. Angeli could definitely play better than Leonard.

Did anyone have any idea Leonard's passing deficiencies were this big?

That late INT was one of the worst throw, in a moment that mattered, by an ND QB that I can remember. WR was open. Leonard under-threw him by 10 yards.

At this point, maybe we just go to Carr. Get Carr's first season out of the way. Why limp through this season with Leonard?

That late INT was one of the worst throw, in a moment that mattered, by an ND QB that I can remember. WR was open. Leonard under-threw him by 10 yards.

At this point, maybe we just go to Carr. Get Carr's first season out of the way. Why limp through this season with Leonard?
CJ Carr isn't the backup QB.

Reactions: DublinND and NDinNJ
Leonard should be eternally punished and should not get a single snap the rest of his time here at ND. He can be the waterboy, but that's it.

Here’s one indisputable fact. ND is way overrated as usual. They really aren’t that good. Any playoff talk has now ended. That was an embarrassing pathetic performance today. All of a sudden 7 wins looks like a stretch.
Incredibly enough, I think the playoff talk is over. We're certainly not mathematically eliminated, but it would be inappropriate now to fixate on. Week to week from here on out.

ND has 2nd and 1 at the 50 with 5 minutes left and they have LR throw a deep seam route that he under throws by nearly 10 yards.

The coaches are idiots.

Additionally, all I heard from posters and media were “Riley is a great athlete with a cannon.”

LMAO 😂😂

Had ND at a 10-2 sandwich. Last week made me go for the strippers tits. Nope. 9-3 is now the ceiling IMO. Unless they change QBs and potentially a couple OL . And I WAS a Leonard guy

Seriously does it even matter anymore? You can blame a lot of people. But this is on Freeman. Just when you think it’s turning around, you realize you bought “ fools gold”. I am going to say it and stand by it. Marcus Freeman is not the answer. He’s in over his head. This game proved that. If Reilly is the best they can do , how much worse are the backups ?

I was planning to go to a game this year. plans have changed after that train wreck I just watched. Yikes!

Incredibly enough, I think the playoff talk is over. We're certainly not mathematically eliminated, but it would be inappropriate now to fixate on. Week to week from here on out.
This is not a good team. It’s obvious. I mean it’s a broken record at this point. Year after year after year. ND is the definition of insanity

Reactions: futuredomer
Seriously does it even matter anymore? You can blame a lot of people. But this is on Freeman. Just when you think it’s turning around, you realize you bought “ fools gold”. I am going to say it and stand by it. Marcus Freeman is not the answer. He’s in over his head. This game proved that. If Reilly is the best they can do , how much worse are the backups ?
Do you believe there was even a QB competition? ND hadn't had a QB competition the last 2 years. Hartman was brought in and handed the starting position last season, and Leonard was handed the starting QB position this year. It's BS

Reactions: tkirish
Had ND at a 10-2 sandwich. Last week made me go for the strippers tits. Nope. 9-3 is now the ceiling IMO. Unless they change QBs and potentially a couple OL . And I WAS a Leonard guy
You were a LR guy because you heard all the hype from media, coaches, and fans.

Not saying you did by any means but when any of the rest of us said we thought ND should stay with Angelli after he played so well in the bowl game, we were told he was t good enough to compete or lead ND for a season.

Well, as I said in a previous post, I hoped I was wrong but I’ve definitely been vindicated.

There were reports that Riley threw a lot of interceptions in camp but others claimed that was “rumors”, seems like the may have been accurate after all.

I’ve said it dozens and dozens of times: Never underestimate your opponent !

And almost everyone did

After the Texas A&M game the great majority were predicting Notre Dame would go undefeated.

Where are all the Kelly haters telling us how much better Kelly is than Freeman

The OLine’s pass protection was terrible

Northern Illinois played a great game and their coaches called a great game.
Their Quarterback was very accurate.

No need to be sorry

I’ve said it dozens and dozens of times: Never underestimate your opponent !

And almost everyone did

After the Texas A&M game the great majority were predicting Notre Dame would go undefeated.

Where are all the Kelly haters telling us how much better Kelly is than Freeman

The OLine’s pass protection was terrible

Northern Illinois played a great game and their coaches called a great game.
Their Quarterback was very accurate.

No need to be sorry

I was wrong, and I lost my winnings from last week on this game, but Kelly had his fair share of wtf games as well.

It sucks because last week seemed like a turning point. But you can't lose your next game to a team like this. Weren't we a 30 point favorite?

ND has 2nd and 1 at the 50 with 5 minutes left and they have LR throw a deep seam route that he under throws by nearly 10 yards.

The coaches are idiots.

Additionally, all I heard from posters and media were “Riley is a great athlete with a cannon.”

LMAO 😂😂
Whoa!!! They never said he was accurate. Also, did anyone notice Duke is undefeated? New coach and QB to start season.

Do you believe there was even a QB competition? ND hadn't had a QB competition the last 2 years. Hartman was brought in and handed the starting position last season, and Leonard was handed the starting QB position this year. It's BS
Yup I agree. This was as bad a loss as I’ve ever seen. I have seen plenty. A 28 point favorite at home and you get totally outplayed from start to finish. Disgraceful and pathetic. If I’m a recruit committed to ND , I’m rethinking that. Freeman needs to be questioned about everything. This is his team and he owns this. I have no idea how you get players to “ buy in” to a sinking ship

Yup I agree. This was as bad a loss as I’ve ever seen. I have seen plenty. A 28 point favorite at home and you get totally outplayed from start to finish. Disgraceful and pathetic. If I’m a recruit committed to ND , I’m rethinking that. Freeman needs to be questioned about everything. This is his team and he owns this. I have no idea how you get players to “ buy in” to a sinking ship
If Duece Knight was on the fence, he's as good as gone after that spectacle.

It is a real possibility they coujd be 1-4 by the end of September. Think about that

ND is probably in the playoff at 10-2. Definitely in at 11-1. And with this year's schedule, that is still possible.

I actually blame Denbrock more. He should understand Leonard's strengths and weaknesses. Why did we have a pass-happy offense today? Leonard's better at running than passing. Also, our RBs were doing well, when they ran. But they didn't run enough. And where was the RPO with Leonard after the first drive? After that, he just turned into a dropback passer, which he's not good at.

Reactions: hoopsstar12
With a loss like this? 11-1 is debatable but 10-2 no way.

Better to lose ugly early than late. It is a long season. 10-2 is usually around 10th ranked. Not a sure thing you would get in at 10-2, but certainly possible. The networks would rather have a 10-2 ND in the playoff than a 10-2 Louisville or Kansas.

Reactions: christophero
ND is probably in the playoff at 10-2. Definitely in at 11-1. And with this year's schedule, that is still possible.

Notre Dame will likely not make the playoffs with a 10-2 record. If ND was in a conference and won a conference championship and had a 11-2 record, then yes, but as we know ND is not in a conference. Even though Northern Illinois is normally a decent non-Power 5 team, losing to them certainly does not help ND with a 10-2 record. Notre Dame's easy schedule doesn't help them as well, but it pretty much assures that they can end up at 10-2, but they could stub their to with another loss as well. The SEC will likely get 3 or 4 teams in the 12 team playoff, with 3 or 4 from the BIG-10 as well. Then count the BIG-12 champion and the ACC Champion, you have a possible 10 or 11 teams in. The ACC could have 2 teams in the playoffs if things went right for Clemson. I think ND will finally start feeling the pain of not being in a Power 5 conference. and we know how ESPN and the Playoff people love the SEC and BIG-10. I still am confused why ND refused to go into the BIG-10. I don't think the BIG-10 will take them now. The SEC might? I hope the ACC doesn't take them (just my feeling), but I think that ND is not interested in the ACC anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: tbonesays
Notre Dame will likely not make the playoffs with a 10-2 record. If ND was in a conference and won a conference championship and had a 11-2 record, then yes, but as we know ND is not in a conference. Even though Northern Illinois is normally a decent non-Power 5 team, losing to them certainly does not help ND with a 10-2 record. Notre Dame's easy schedule doesn't help them as well, but it pretty much assures that they can end up at 10-2, but they could stub their to with another loss as well. The SEC will likely get 3 or 4 teams in the 12 team playoff, with 3 or 4 from the BIG-10 as well. Then count the BIG-12 champion and the ACC Champion, you have a possible 10 or 11 teams in. The ACC could have 2 teams in the playoffs if things went right for Clemson. I think ND will finally start feeling the pain of not being in a Power 5 conference. and we know how ESPN and the Playoff people love the SEC and BIG-10. I still am confused why ND refused to go into the BIG-10. I don't think the BIG-10 will take them now. The SEC might? I hope the ACC doesn't take them (just my feeling), but I think that ND is not interested in the ACC anyway.
It doesn't matter, ND is contractually obligated to the ACC in football for another decade

The late drive where Leonard threw the interception, we had it 1st and 10 at midfield with 6:00 left and had just run the ball well for a few plays, up 14-13. But then we throw it long, and Leonard throws the interception. Why are we even calling that play? Leonard isn't accurate. He's not good at throwing deep. He had lousy stats last year at throwing deep, too. We should've kept running the ball there IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT