ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA coaches saleries...

Surprising because it's incorrect. Consensus has Kelly between $4 million and $4.5 million, but nobody really knows for sure except ND and his agent. It's not public information.
It certainly has to be more than $1.6. I know a lot of people like to believe Kelly is the worst coach in CFB but that just isn't correct. He'd be insane to make $1.6 with all the pressure at ND instead of going to a school with less pressure and make 2-2.5 mil

I was just going by the USA Today site. Either way, the top 3 coaches are worth it. Money talks. Peterson is making 3.6mil at Washington. Offer to double it and make ND his new home. Where was Washington and Boise St. before him? Make a big splash with a proven winner. Fleck and Herman are ok, but Peterson reminds me so much of Urban Meyer when he was at Utah before going to Florida.

I was just going by the USA Today site. Either way, the top 3 coaches are worth it. Money talks. Peterson is making 3.6mil at Washington. Offer to double it and make ND his new home. Where was Washington and Boise St. before him? Make a big splash with a proven winner. Fleck and Herman are ok, but Peterson reminds me so much of Urban Meyer when he was at Utah before going to Florida.

Actually Petersen reminds me of Ara. Same disposition. Players love playing for him. Same coaching style. Pays attention to details. Great motivator. Teams are always well prepared. Beats teams he's not supposed to beat. Rarely, rarely ever loses to team w/ a talent base less than his team.

Look at Bama and Saban, Michigan and Harbaugh, OSU and Saban. Don't you think ND and Peterson would be a perfect match. Like you said IrishBlessings, Peterson wins the games he should win and players love playing for him. Look at his overall record, and that is with half the talent ND has. Peterson is the hire that ND needs to turn this around. I don't hate Kelly, but I think it is time for him to go. He lost the team the minute he started throwing his players under the bus.

Reactions: shooter1977
Look at Bama and Saban, Michigan and Harbaugh, OSU and Saban. Don't you think ND and Peterson would be a perfect match. Like you said IrishBlessings, Peterson wins the games he should win and players love playing for him. Look at his overall record, and that is with half the talent ND has. Peterson is the hire that ND needs to turn this around. I don't hate Kelly, but I think it is time for him to go. He lost the team the minute he started throwing his players under the bus.
Unfortunately he is a west coast guy .... probably not his cup of tea.

Not to take anything away from Chris Petersen, but the ground had already been laid at Boise St before he got there. Boise State had been to 5 straight bowls before he got there and was ranked no worse than 16th between the time 2002 and 2004 (he became HC in 2006).
He'd be a great choice but I think it would take a lot to tempt him away from Washington. IIRC he turned down the USC job that eventually went to Sarkissian.

Not to take anything away from Chris Petersen, but the ground had already been laid at Boise St before he got there. Boise State had been to 5 straight bowls before he got there and was ranked no worse than 16th between the time 2002 and 2004 (he became HC in 2006).
He'd be a great choice but I think it would take a lot to tempt him away from Washington. IIRC he turned down the USC job that eventually went to Sarkissian.
He turned down multiple jobs with huge pay increases in the years before he finally took the UW job.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
If you don't even try, you'll never know. Money does have an influence. But to not even try....

the time has come to really consider whether the NCAA should make the all athletic coaching position non paying voluntary university positions available only to the regular faculty.

This discussion is long overdue!

If you double someone's salary they'll learn to love that tea. :)
Generally I would agree with you, but when he was at Boise making $1 million a year he was turning down offers reportedly as high as $3 and $4 million per year. So the guy is clearly not motivated by money. Not to mention that Washington has the ability to match any reasonable offers.

Generally I would agree with you, but when he was at Boise making $1 million a year he was turning down offers reportedly as high as $3 and $4 million per year. So the guy is clearly not motivated by money. Not to mention that Washington has the ability to match any reasonable offers.

Good points - he seems to prefer the Pacific Northwest (great area with mild winters) - also, if he is doing well at UW and happy with his career (including his salary) and life (outside of football) why leave a place and job that is working for you - and go into a very demanding job that may not be a 'good fit'?

i see the home page has an article on this exact topic. I still think as a coach, you want to be wanted. I know as Twalsh said Peterson may not be motivated by money, but combine that with ego and trying to reach the top of the next mountain, ND might just be the next logical challenge on his coaching ladder if he wins at Washington this year.

Yea I agree. For example I don't think any amount of money would pry Cutcliffe away from Duke. He's making good money, low stress, he's 62 and he's from the south. Sometimes environment is more important especially when you are making millions.

For the record I was just being funny.. well trying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT