ADVERTISEMENT

Morning After Stats, comments, quotes

Get Nasty

I've posted how many times?
Jul 26, 2006
I'll start off with some paraphrased quotes from the ND team before texas this year

cole luke "Texas going fast plays into our hands, it means they'll go 3 and out faster"

Jaron Jones "I'm setting myself up and trying to be the best Tackle in the country" (No tackles)

Kelly "Everyone really understands the defense this year. A frosh QB running the tempo offense is no big deal vs a normal defense but against our complex defense he's going to get so many looks if he can't check they'll be a lot of negative plays" (only negative plays were bad snaps)

Defense - I wasn't on board with firing BVG until the first drive for texas last night. Our D looked great to start the last 2 seasons before injuries, so i still had hope with a healthy D throughout we could be good, but that's not the case. They could have scored 3 times if not for dropped balls on the first drive. The defense just flat out was not prepared and the scheme is terrible. BVG must go ASAP.

The majority of the night we were lined up in 3 down (why?). Those 3 down were Trumbettie, tillery, rochelle. That's not a good recipe to stop the run.

Positive notes - Luke, morgan, studstill, rochelle, crawford looked really good on D.

The Bad - Trumbetti, coleman, martini, tillery at times, tranquil can't run (the long pass on Crawford was actually on tranquil, he was just slower that most D lineman)

Offense - The 2 QB system was a joke. If they're 2 of your best players you don't flip flop them, that's not an advantage to the team. Texas showed you how to run 2 qbs to compliment each other similar to tebow and leak. With that said, Kizer is the one, no question.

Positive notes - almost everyone on offense, some good play calling as well

The Bad - If tori is out the 3rd WR is shaky now, Zaire was terrible, Folston (he had a great run or two and catch, but he's just too slow). With folston texas did not respect any form of outside run so they just stuffed the middle.

I must bring up the officials on the non targeting call, someone needs to be fired for not reviewing that.

In the end Kelly cost the team about 7-10 points not playing Kizer the entire game, the officials cost ND 3-7 points. The defense cost Nd about 17-21 points. I'm confident a good (not great) defense would have held Texas under 20.

Reactions: IrishBlessings
NDs defense sucked!! They gave up 50 points. Now go back to the Stanford game. The last 3 games played the defense sucked! Something is not working. Coaching? Players? Both? I'm not there to see. But I know what I saw last night. If your honest, this team will be challenged in every game unless they find a way to play solid defense.

Nasty----Agree on many of your points.

Folston was not running to daylight after his 1st run---Adams needed to run off tackle more.
Missed tackles by defense were huge!
BK said D was in 3-deep cover which means they either did not respect tx speed or used lousy technique. Glad to see Studstill & Love in there!

I thought Smythe needed a bigger role esp. on the last two drives where we needed a 1st down.

Yes I am NOW firmly in the KIZER camp.....with only short yardage run options for Malik.

GET BETTER!!!

Nasty----Agree on many of your points.

Folston was not running to daylight after his 1st run---Adams needed to run off tackle more.
Missed tackles by defense were huge!
BK said D was in 3-deep cover which means they either did not respect tx speed or used lousy technique. Glad to see Studstill & Love in there!

I thought Smythe needed a bigger role esp. on the last two drives where we needed a 1st down.

Yes I am NOW firmly in the KIZER camp.....with only short yardage run options for Malik.

GET BETTER!!!
Cover 3 works if you can Jam the WR at the line..... Coleman got abused about 4-5 times and with avery and drue in the back there is no back end help. Studstill can play, that was clear. Every time we took a deep shot there was safety help for texas.

Kelly should now be officially on the hot seat. But he won't be ... that's the real issue. Yes the criticism by the naysayers / anti-ND contingent has been proven valid . The ND football program is a pretender and designed to be so. At any other major CFB program BVG after last night's travesty and prior 2 yrs would be fired or demoted by tomorrow. Won't happen here at ND. That's the real issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT