ADVERTISEMENT

Kelly Still Believes BVG is Right Guy For The Job.

Sarah_Plain_And_Tall

Shakes Down The Thunder
Sep 4, 2016
http://www.csnchicago.com/notre-dame/defense-again-under-fire-brian-kelly-preaches-patience

OMG. Look at the Kelly quotes in bold. Hey Kelly, it is not 1 game, it is multiple games. When will the sample size be large enough for you.

SOUTH BEND, Ind. — Brian Kelly said he “absolutely” believes defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder is the right man for the job. The seventh-year Irish coach interested in big-picture critiques after one game, and his message is that his team’s defense will ultimately be fine.

But this is the territory you enter at Notre Dame, where championships are the goal and playoff berths are expected. If your defense gives up 50 points after two years of inconsistency and ineffectiveness, it’s going to be criticized.

For Kelly, it would’ve been counter-productive to publicly lambast his coordinator (or worse, his players) after one game given the emergent need for a defensive turnaround. It’s rare, too, for a big-time college program to change coordinators so early in the season, and doing so may not be a panacea — Texas did it back in 2013, when Mack Brown fired defensive coordinator Manny Diaz after the Longhorns gave up 40 points in a road loss to BYU. Texas’ defense went out the next week and gave up 44 points to Ole Miss and ranked 44th in defensive S&P+ that 8-5 season.

So all Kelly was asking for with his comments Monday and Tuesday is a chance for Notre Dame’s defense to prove itself in 2016.

“It's great conversation for everybody to have, but it's so short-sighted of what really happened in the Texas game,” Kelly said. “What really happened in the Texas game was you had the offense that had a chance to win the game — you're going to have to play some games where you outscore people. If we're 10 or 11 games into the season and we have to outscore everybody, I'll take the questions, you know? And I would say fair enough.”

Kelly added: “We're in game one of a brand new defense that we saw for the first time,” noting the departures of a number of NFL players from last year’s team (Sheldon Day, Romeo Okwara, Jaylon Smith, KeiVarae Russell, Matthias Farley).

But the problems with VanGorder’s defense aren’t confined to the single-game vacuum of Notre Dame’s 50-47 double-overtime loss at Texas on Sunday. The issues with depth, explosive plays, red zone, pressure and turnovers lurked in 2014 and 2015, and came forward again Sunday night in Austin.

Texas converted six of its seven red zone attempts into touchdowns — thanks largely to the Tyrone Swoopes-led “18-wheeler” package that plowed through the Irish defense — Sunday night. In 2015, Notre Dame’s defense allowed a red zone touchdown rate of 65.85 (95th), which actually was an improvement off 2014’s rate of 70 percent (116th).

The Longhorns ripped off plays of 68 and 72 yards, and could’ve had a third explosive gain if receiver John Burt didn’t drop an on-the-money throw after beating cornerback Nick Coleman in single coverage in the first half. Notre Dame was one of three teams to have allowed multiple plays of 60 or more yards in Week 1, joining USC and, oddly enough, Houston.

Texas had five touchdown drives of 70 or more yards on Sunday (and another that rolled 68 yards late in the fourth quarter after Notre Dame took the lead), which fits with this trend:

Follow
Tim Prister@timprister

In last 22 games, dating back to UNC in Oct. of '14,#NotreDamedefense has allowed 56 TD drives of 70+ yards, an average of 2.54 per game.

5:22 PM - 6 Sep 2016
Kelly said Notre Dame was still figuring out how to best use its personnel against Texas, and it should be noted there were some positive changes made. Freshman Devin Studstill looked solid after he subbed in for junior Drue Tranquill. Moving redshirt freshman Shaun Crawford from a nickel to outside corner position (where Coleman was) took away Texas’ ability to stretch the field, too, and freshman Julian Love held his own in the nickel. Notre Dame’s defense forced a turnover and then three consecutive punts after the Crawford-Love-Coleman substitutions were made.

The Irish defense was more effective when it played with four defensive linemen instead of three, though consistently going with four down linemen might’ve made a difference against the Swoopes package.

“I think if we had to do anything differently we probably would have added a little bit more personnel to the two tight end run game packages with Swoopes, in retrospect,” Kelly said. “Other than that, we had the right defensive structure out there.”

And it’s not like this defense was bereft of positive individual impacts. Middle linebacker Nyles Morgan was excellent, while defensive end Isaac Rochell, defensive tackle Jerry Tillery and linebacker James Onwualu all put in long, effective evenings. Crawford and Cole Luke looked strong at cornerback, too.

“Primarily, if we just do the ordinary things ordinarily well we're in good shape,” Kelly said. “We have to do those better. We have to coach better. If we're not playing cover three well we're not coaching well enough, so we've got to do those things better. I know if we're coaching better and getting that from our players we will be a better defense moving forward.”

Notre Dame doesn’t have any margin for error if it still fancies itself a College Football Playoff contender. To do enough to impress the selection committee, the Irish not only have to win their next 11 games, but do so in impressive fashion. And it’s tough to look impressive without a consistently effective defense.

VanGorder & Co. have a chance to prove it can be just that over these next 11 games. If they don’t, it’ll be another year of leaning on the offense — and most likely missing the College Football Playoff.

“I just think we're jumping the gun,” Kelly said. “If we're ten games into this and we're giving up 50 points a game, I'll have to answer your questions. Right now, as I said yesterday, I think y'all should relax a little bit. I think our defense is going to be fine.”

Unreal. He act's like that was BVG's first game as DC. It's the same mistakes and same confusion among the players that we have seen the previous 2 years.

Unreal. He act's like that was BVG's first game as DC. It's the same mistakes and same confusion among the players that we have seen the previous 2 years.

Java, agree and that is what is so concerning. They just looked so poorly prepared. This was not an offensive juggernaut they faced.
Hoping for improvement but will not be surprised to see Nevada move the ball very well Sat.

Reactions: Java65
http://www.csnchicago.com/notre-dame/defense-again-under-fire-brian-kelly-preaches-patience

OMG. Look at the Kelly quotes in bold. Hey Kelly, it is not 1 game, it is multiple games. When will the sample size be large enough for you.

SOUTH BEND, Ind. — Brian Kelly said he “absolutely” believes defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder is the right man for the job. The seventh-year Irish coach interested in big-picture critiques after one game, and his message is that his team’s defense will ultimately be fine.

But this is the territory you enter at Notre Dame, where championships are the goal and playoff berths are expected. If your defense gives up 50 points after two years of inconsistency and ineffectiveness, it’s going to be criticized.

For Kelly, it would’ve been counter-productive to publicly lambast his coordinator (or worse, his players) after one game given the emergent need for a defensive turnaround. It’s rare, too, for a big-time college program to change coordinators so early in the season, and doing so may not be a panacea — Texas did it back in 2013, when Mack Brown fired defensive coordinator Manny Diaz after the Longhorns gave up 40 points in a road loss to BYU. Texas’ defense went out the next week and gave up 44 points to Ole Miss and ranked 44th in defensive S&P+ that 8-5 season.

So all Kelly was asking for with his comments Monday and Tuesday is a chance for Notre Dame’s defense to prove itself in 2016.

“It's great conversation for everybody to have, but it's so short-sighted of what really happened in the Texas game,” Kelly said. “What really happened in the Texas game was you had the offense that had a chance to win the game — you're going to have to play some games where you outscore people. If we're 10 or 11 games into the season and we have to outscore everybody, I'll take the questions, you know? And I would say fair enough.”

Kelly added: “We're in game one of a brand new defense that we saw for the first time,” noting the departures of a number of NFL players from last year’s team (Sheldon Day, Romeo Okwara, Jaylon Smith, KeiVarae Russell, Matthias Farley).

But the problems with VanGorder’s defense aren’t confined to the single-game vacuum of Notre Dame’s 50-47 double-overtime loss at Texas on Sunday. The issues with depth, explosive plays, red zone, pressure and turnovers lurked in 2014 and 2015, and came forward again Sunday night in Austin.

Texas converted six of its seven red zone attempts into touchdowns — thanks largely to the Tyrone Swoopes-led “18-wheeler” package that plowed through the Irish defense — Sunday night. In 2015, Notre Dame’s defense allowed a red zone touchdown rate of 65.85 (95th), which actually was an improvement off 2014’s rate of 70 percent (116th).

The Longhorns ripped off plays of 68 and 72 yards, and could’ve had a third explosive gain if receiver John Burt didn’t drop an on-the-money throw after beating cornerback Nick Coleman in single coverage in the first half. Notre Dame was one of three teams to have allowed multiple plays of 60 or more yards in Week 1, joining USC and, oddly enough, Houston.

Texas had five touchdown drives of 70 or more yards on Sunday (and another that rolled 68 yards late in the fourth quarter after Notre Dame took the lead), which fits with this trend:

Follow
Tim Prister@timprister

In last 22 games, dating back to UNC in Oct. of '14,#NotreDamedefense has allowed 56 TD drives of 70+ yards, an average of 2.54 per game.

Kelly said Notre Dame was still figuring out how to best use its personnel against Texas, and it should be noted there were some positive changes made. Freshman Devin Studstill looked solid after he subbed in for junior Drue Tranquill. Moving redshirt freshman Shaun Crawford from a nickel to outside corner position (where Coleman was) took away Texas’ ability to stretch the field, too, and freshman Julian Love held his own in the nickel. Notre Dame’s defense forced a turnover and then three consecutive punts after the Crawford-Love-Coleman substitutions were made.

The Irish defense was more effective when it played with four defensive linemen instead of three, though consistently going with four down linemen might’ve made a difference against the Swoopes package.

“I think if we had to do anything differently we probably would have added a little bit more personnel to the two tight end run game packages with Swoopes, in retrospect,” Kelly said. “Other than that, we had the right defensive structure out there.”

And it’s not like this defense was bereft of positive individual impacts. Middle linebacker Nyles Morgan was excellent, while defensive end Isaac Rochell, defensive tackle Jerry Tillery and linebacker James Onwualu all put in long, effective evenings. Crawford and Cole Luke looked strong at cornerback, too.

“Primarily, if we just do the ordinary things ordinarily well we're in good shape,” Kelly said. “We have to do those better. We have to coach better. If we're not playing cover three well we're not coaching well enough, so we've got to do those things better. I know if we're coaching better and getting that from our players we will be a better defense moving forward.”

Notre Dame doesn’t have any margin for error if it still fancies itself a College Football Playoff contender. To do enough to impress the selection committee, the Irish not only have to win their next 11 games, but do so in impressive fashion. And it’s tough to look impressive without a consistently effective defense.

VanGorder & Co. have a chance to prove it can be just that over these next 11 games. If they don’t, it’ll be another year of leaning on the offense — and most likely missing the College Football Playoff.

“I just think we're jumping the gun,” Kelly said. “If we're ten games into this and we're giving up 50 points a game, I'll have to answer your questions. Right now, as I said yesterday, I think y'all should relax a little bit. I think our defense is going to be fine.”

Here's an interesting analysis from TOS...
https://www.18stripes.com/18-stripes-films-fundamentals-sink-notre-dame/

What do you really expect him to say? We all know that Kelly is not going to fire the DC one game into the season. Stop the stupid.

Exactly. Obviously, he doesn't want to publicly throw his DC and defense under the bus. But it was clear on the sidelines that Kelly was upset with the defensive coaching staff. Imagine how the defense would react to Van Gorder's coaching and authority if the head coach embarrassed him publicly at a press conference.

As someone mentioned, this criticism covers multiple years, many games and a obvious inability to adjust and create a solution. Sadly, that's it in a nut shell. I've always questioned why the Jets let him go if he was such a good young defensive talent (for that matter no Pro teams wanting to consider him). Coach 8 & 4 has one option, in my view, work with him and the defense and get 100% behind Kizer and ride him as hard as possible with the hope he can carry both the team and Coach 8 & 4 to a bowl game of some kind.

Follow
Tim Prister@timprister

What do you expect that he's going to say? Some people act like they've never heard coach-speak before. He's going to say whatever he thinks puts his staff and his players in the best frame of mind to win games, knowing they will read and/or hear his comments. That's his responsibility. Telling the public the truth about how he may feel is not his responsibility.

I think you can be pretty confident that he's royally pissed off about how the defense played on Sunday, and BVG is painfully aware of that.

Reactions: Classic Irish
As someone mentioned, this criticism covers multiple years, many games and a obvious inability to adjust and create a solution. Sadly, that's it in a nut shell. I've always questioned why the Jets let him go if he was such a good young defensive talent (for that matter no Pro teams wanting to consider him). Coach 8 & 4 has one option, in my view, work with him and the defense and get 100% behind Kizer and ride him as hard as possible with the hope he can carry both the team and Coach 8 & 4 to a bowl game of some kind.

This math challenged poster strikes again.

What do you really expect him to say? We all know that Kelly is not going to fire the DC one game into the season. Stop the stupid.
What I expect him to say is, the defensive performance was unacceptable and that we, as a team, are looking at all possible solutions to fix the problems.

That acknowledges the problem and sends a clear and public message that BVG position is under review.

Simply put, Kelly has no clue as to how to build a defense.

He is in the same camp as Kuharich and Weis who believe the only way to win games is to out score your opponents.

Reactions: cgvr
He's finished 4 of 6 seasons pre-bowl at 8-4. That's not very good....

Don't say that, fools will never understand reality they just spout nonsense. That's why no one listens or cares what they say. Throw out that 12-0 year - a real luck filled season - and you will always have Coach 8 & 4. Also, why does anyone think that 8 & 4 would choose a DC better than this one? Stupid is what stupid does.

Don't say that, fools will never understand reality they just spout nonsense. That's why no one listens or cares what they say. Throw out that 12-0 year - a real luck filled season - and you will always have Coach 8 & 4. Also, why does anyone think that 8 & 4 would choose a DC better than this one? Stupid is what stupid does.

I don't believe NDSMC78 to be a fool....just defensive....and he has a case with the final #s....
However, when you peel back the onion...

Still pretending to be an ND alum/fan---the charade continues.

Says the guy masquerading as an ND alum so he can take pot shots at ND. And he thinks he's fooling people---talk about stupid.

Translation of Howard Hall 74's posts: "Hi, I'm Brian Davidson. I graduated from Indiana University. I hate ND and love going to the ND Rivals board to pretend I'm an ND fan/grad so I can bash ND. I've been banned from this board multiple times. Most people on this board can spot who I am instantly based on the similarities of my posts with my previous, now-banned handles. I know that I'm an idiot and fraud. I need lots of psychiatric help for my inferiority complex. Somebody please help me."

And they're even more confused now, since Joe Schmidt isn't out there playing the role of Assistant DC on the field anymore. Remember he used to get all the others lined up before the snap. Nobody's doing that anymore.

Simply put, Kelly has no clue as to how to build a defense.

He is in the same camp as Kuharich and Weis who believe the only way to win games is to out score your opponents.

Kuharich comparison...ouch!

insanity

recruits are noticing the futility, which will just result in more futility.
itch scratch itch

Exactly. Obviously, he doesn't want to publicly throw his DC and defense under the bus. But it was clear on the sidelines that Kelly was upset with the defensive coaching staff. Imagine how the defense would react to Van Gorder's coaching and authority if the head coach embarrassed him publicly at a press conference.

Amen Classic! if he fires BVG right now it will appear to the other coaches , admin and players that he has given up on the season. I would say BVG will be gone after the season and a new hire will occur @ that point. the emotional ninnies are not being realistic in this situation. Kelly is better waiting

^ agree with that. Too late to make the decisive move for this season. Best that can be done is just go basic, drill the fundaments, be conservative. Whatever the plan was, scrap it as a failed experiment.

Reactions: zonairish
a couple posts on TOS about 1. defensive playcalling "what I learned this morning" and 2. another comment reminding that ND only has lost 1 game! well ND can only afford to lose 1 more for a successful run at a major post season gig.

I don't see that anyone was calling for BK to fire BVG in this thread. As far as what do we expect BK to say? He should stick with a consistent message and his response to the questions about the defense against Texas was NOT consistent with what he had been saying in the off season. BVG's defenses have been awful in his first two seasons, so it's not as if he was entering year 3 with a clean slate. In particular, last year's defense was awful especially in big games which was cause for justifiable angst because that was a defense that consisted of one of the greatest linebackers to ever play at ND, two NFL caliber d-lineman (Day, Rochell), one of the greatest CB's to ever play at ND in a long time (Russell) and the rest of the defense made up of solid 4-star talent. Now, some will point to the injuries we suffered as a reason we weren't up to par. That may explain why we didn't have a top 10 defense, but really, with the talent we had and the fact we played several teams that had poor offenses, there really wasn't an excuse to not field at least a top 20 level defense. And the criticisms throughout 2015 were obvious:
  • The scheme seemed excessively complex, so much so that an exceptionally talented 2nd year LB (Morgan) couldn't surpass an extremely physically limited former walk-on LB, even when that starting LB consistently performed poorly in games.
  • There seemed to be frequent confusion on the field, especially in the secondary.
  • We gave up many, many big plays.
  • We couldn't generate a consistent pass rush even against weak teams.
  • We were extremely weak against the run, especially in short yardage situations.
  • Our tackling was horrible.
The criticisms above weren't just coming from fans, they were coming from the sports media as well. The defense was by far the biggest question mark heading into the off season, so the main question posed by the media was, if the defense performed so poorly in 2015 with the personnel we had what hope was their for 2016 given the fact we were going to have to play a lot less experienced players? And BK has been telling us since February that things would be different specifically because this was year 3. Everyone was finally able to understand the defense. We were going to see competence at all position groups. In short, the media asked BK if we were going to continue to see poor defense considering the drop off in personnel and BK had been assuring everyone we wouldn't. Inexperience was not going to be used as an excuse, but for the last several days he has been saying exactly that. He has been pointing to our inexperience as the reason why we all shouldn't overreact. Well, coach, you are the one who told us inexperience wouldn't be an issue.

I don't expect BK to fire BVG after one game and I don't even expect him to "throw BVG under the bus." What I do expect is a consistent message. The poor defensive performance on Sunday was unacceptable. BK should say as much and not water that message down by also saying, "well, the offense could have done better too." When BK falls back to talking points that he insisted would not be used as an excuse in 2016, he should be criticized for that.

I don't see that anyone was calling for BK to fire BVG in this thread. As far as what do we expect BK to say? He should stick with a consistent message and his response to the questions about the defense against Texas was NOT consistent with what he had been saying in the off season. BVG's defenses have been awful in his first two seasons, so it's not as if he was entering year 3 with a clean slate. In particular, last year's defense was awful especially in big games which was cause for justifiable angst because that was a defense that consisted of one of the greatest linebackers to ever play at ND, two NFL caliber d-lineman (Day, Rochell), one of the greatest CB's to ever play at ND in a long time (Russell) and the rest of the defense made up of solid 4-star talent. Now, some will point to the injuries we suffered as a reason we weren't up to par. That may explain why we didn't have a top 10 defense, but really, with the talent we had and the fact we played several teams that had poor offenses, there really wasn't an excuse to not field at least a top 20 level defense. And the criticisms throughout 2015 were obvious:
  • The scheme seemed excessively complex, so much so that an exceptionally talented 2nd year LB (Morgan) couldn't surpass an extremely physically limited former walk-on LB, even when that starting LB consistently performed poorly in games.
  • There seemed to be frequent confusion on the field, especially in the secondary.
  • We gave up many, many big plays.
  • We couldn't generate a consistent pass rush even against weak teams.
  • We were extremely weak against the run, especially in short yardage situations.
  • Our tackling was horrible.
The criticisms above weren't just coming from fans, they were coming from the sports media as well. The defense was by far the biggest question mark heading into the off season, so the main question posed by the media was, if the defense performed so poorly in 2015 with the personnel we had what hope was their for 2016 given the fact we were going to have to play a lot less experienced players? And BK has been telling us since February that things would be different specifically because this was year 3. Everyone was finally able to understand the defense. We were going to see competence at all position groups. In short, the media asked BK if we were going to continue to see poor defense considering the drop off in personnel and BK had been assuring everyone we wouldn't. Inexperience was not going to be used as an excuse, but for the last several days he has been saying exactly that. He has been pointing to our inexperience as the reason why we all shouldn't overreact. Well, coach, you are the one who told us inexperience wouldn't be an issue.

I don't expect BK to fire BVG after one game and I don't even expect him to "throw BVG under the bus." What I do expect is a consistent message. The poor defensive performance on Sunday was unacceptable. BK should say as much and not water that message down by also saying, "well, the offense could have done better too." When BK falls back to talking points that he insisted would not be used as an excuse in 2016, he should be criticized for that.

The thread started off with the OP pretending to be astounded by Kelly's announcement that BVG is the right man for the job. As stated by me and by others, there is really nothing else Kelly can say at this point. He can't fire BVG and hire someone else now. He can't come out and suck that BVG sucks. He can't come out and say that we are going to make a change after the season.
Consistent message? I dunno what else Kelly can say right now.

but it is so that recruiting is the lifeblood of a successful program.
Witness the ND offense as contrasted to the ND defense. Proof.

i.e. death spiral...it's starting, and once in it almost impossible to get out.
Yeah,this must be the 4th or 5th thing, maybe more, in the past five years that was going to kill recruiting forever. Letting you in on a secret, not one of them has even had a noticeable setback on recruiting. We lost to a blue blood program on their home field in what several neutral fans, mostly SEC, have told me was one of the most exciting college football games they've ever watched. I 100% think we should have won the game, but if you think this loss is some big setback for the program you are just being a drama queen. And we have no shortage of those in our fan base.

Yeah,this must be the 4th or 5th thing, maybe more, in the past five years that was going to kill recruiting forever. Letting you in on a secret, not one of them has even had a noticeable setback on recruiting. We lost to a blue blood program on their home field in what several neutral fans, mostly SEC, have told me was one of the most exciting college football games they've ever watched. I 100% think we should have won the game, but if you think this loss is some big setback for the program you are just being a drama queen. And we have no shortage of those in our fan base.

I couldn't agree more.

Fool and stupid.

That pretty much defines you and your little make-believe world of being an ND grad.

Many of whom are regulars on this board.

What BK can do in the short term is devote all his coaching time to the defensive side of the ball.

The thread started off with the OP pretending to be astounded by Kelly's announcement that BVG is the right man for the job. As stated by me and by others, there is really nothing else Kelly can say at this point. He can't fire BVG and hire someone else now. He can't come out and suck that BVG sucks. He can't come out and say that we are going to make a change after the season.
Consistent message? I dunno what else Kelly can say right now.

True. But the defense has been dismal for BVG's first 2 seasons ... why is he still on the staff for this 3rd year?

This one loss, a big setback? Not hardly. It is only a reflection of what has been happening and will continue under Coach 8 & 4. This team is going to beat some who they should have lost to and will lose to some they should have beaten. Just enough to keep the supporters hopeful and the doubters - doubtful. That's Coach 8 & 4. Mediocrity. So say the Kool-Aide drinkers. Boys and girls good for you - enjoy. Odds are on the doubters side.

This one loss, a big setback? Not hardly. It is only a reflection of what has been happening and will continue under Coach 8 & 4. This team is going to beat some who they should have lost to and will lose to some they should have beaten. Just enough to keep the supporters hopeful and the doubters - doubtful. That's Coach 8 & 4. Mediocrity. So say the Kool-Aide drinkers. Boys and girls good for you - enjoy. Odds are on the doubters side.

Unless you are 100% opposed to Brian Kelly and everything he does, says, or stands for, you are a Kool Aid drinker. So says the math challenged poster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT