ADVERTISEMENT

kelly presser link blaming turnovers and players....

cgvr

I've posted how many times?
Jun 25, 2010

there will be personnel changes, defensive coaching he feels better about, on d we did what I wanted...coaching had nothing to do with the outcome....

a call for the players to boycott the next practice till they receive an apology from the staff!

It looks like he's lost this squad....

perhaps towlboy from FL can chime in about what a wonderful team Duke is....

If we flip staffs it's 56-0 ND....

Reactions: NDAyers

there will be personnel changes, defensive coaching he feels better about, on d we did what I wanted...coaching had nothing to do with the outcome....

The turnover would be on the players, but the lack of text book run blocking on offense and the mess on defense is ALL on him.

Personnel?
Aren't the Irish thin on defesnse?

true freshman Vaughn at CB looked really good on that interception in the endzone and should play more in my opinion

Reactions: deadirishpoet
I CANNOT STAND THIS COACH! How can he blame the players but then say he was happy with the the worst defensive coach in D1 today? Does he not realize this garbage that coaches defense just gave up 31 points to a terrible offensive team? Go ahead coach, put all the blame on the players. Trust me, you have officially lost your team. A true coach a true man steps up to that mic and takes that loss on the chin and says "I have to do better". Congratulations coach, you have once again made ND the laughing stock of college football.

cvgr you are dumb a$$. I listened to the same presser you did . I certainly did not get what you got out of it. Kelly said the truth, turnovers caused it. and essentially lack of emotion or desire. There was blame that was shared

BVG should have been gone before this. The coaching , in general , leaves much to be desired. However , this does not absolve the players. They truly deserve to be blasted and possibly benched. I have no problem with that either. This is quickly turning into a debacle. As it stands , they will be lucky to win two more games this year.

DK had almost 400yrds
Three TDs
One pick that was like a punt
Almost a 90 QB rating

And the coach wants to bench him? This has nothing to do with QB issues. There are probably 20 teams in the top 25 that wish they had DK.

cvgr you are dumb a$$. I listened to the same presser you did . I certainly did not get what you got out of it. Kelly said the truth, turnovers caused it. and essentially lack of emotion or desire. There was blame that was shared

I think Irishjohn is a lot smarter than you.

Reactions: captstabbin
Kelly is so dumb he doesn't even realize how dumb he is. Said this years ago: Kelly thinks he is the smartest guy in the room. He is never wrong. Therefore he can never improve. He would rather lose his way,than change and win in a different manner. See Tulsa, USF, NW, Navy, Duke, etc. Time to find a new coach. 7 years too late.

When a team has zero turnovers and no penalties the head coach is immediately praised for having a disciplined team. However, when the opposite happens, the players are blamed and the coach is given a pass.

We know the season is over. We know he lost this team. What we don't know is how long Kelly will be the coach. Mark my words, They will be lucky to win 3 games. Even if the players are to blame , you never ever throw your team under the bus at a public press conference. What Kelly did is inconsinable. That tells you everything you need to know about the guy leading the program.

Assuming you know how to read:

UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAME FOOTBALL MEDIA CONFERENCE

September 24, 2016

Brian Kelly

South Bend, Indiana

Duke - 38, Notre Dame - 35

BRIAN KELLY: Congratulations to Duke. They deserved to win today. They had a grittier more determined approach to finding a way to win. In college football it's find a way to win. And my hat goes off to them and Coach Cutcliffe finding a way to win today. So congratulations to them.

As for our group, there's not a lot of things to really point out, other than the obvious, three turnovers. All of them impact the game, sloppy turnovers, kick off return for a touchdown and the inability to mount anything consistently throughout the game.

Once you feel like you've got something going pretty good, we tend to make a mistake and let teams back into the game. So, I told our guys essentially that we're going in the wrong direction. We're not going to continue to go in this direction, we'll have to re-evaluate what we're doing, who we're doing it with, and how we're doing it, all of those things.

So, again, I think that they competed, they want to win, but we're not doing the things necessary to win games. It's hard to point them all out to you in a press conference right now, but we'll have to do some, we'll have to do a lot more work to get this group to start winning. So, questions?

Q. You mentioned that you're going to evaluate who you're going to do it with. Do you mean like personnel changes?
BRIAN KELLY: Oh, yeah, there will be personnel changes, absolutely.

Q. And what about the defensive coaching leadership? Are you still --
BRIAN KELLY: Actually, that's probably the one area that I feel better about today. We did what I wanted today in terms of coaching. And coaching had nothing to do with the outcome today. I was pleased from that perspective. Obviously, we put our defense in a bad situation today and they gave our offense a chance to win, quite frankly. Those turnovers were deadly and obviously the kick off return for a touchdown just put us in a tough situation.

There are things that I want to get better at defensively, there's no question. But that's the least of my concerns after today.

Q. Does the fact that you're 1-3 coax you to maybe say, go with Donte Vaughn maybe at this point even though he's not absolutely cooked all the way?
BRIAN KELLY: Absolutely. And not just Donte Vaughn. Every position, every position, all 22 of them, will be evaluated. Each and every position. There is no position that is untouchable on this football team. And that's the quarterback, all the way down to, maybe, the long snapper's okay. We're not going to touch him. But everybody else is vulnerable.

Q. Just a comment about, please, the last time that you last actually couple times you had the ball, what you were hoping for and what you saw those last couple of possessions.
BRIAN KELLY: Poor execution. Poor, poor execution. I like what we called. I liked the looks that we had, and we did a poor job executing.

And now we, listen this is not all on our players, we still have to coach better as well. There's a lot that we have to do. Because we have got some young players that require really good communication and really good coaching, too. So, I'm a 1-3 coach, we're all 1-3 coaches, so we're in the same boat as all of our players. So let's be clear on that.

Q. In addition to Vaughn, who has to be on the field?
BRIAN KELLY: Guys that have fire and grit and, we had one guy in the entire football team that had emotion and fire. That is Dexter Williams. He's the only one. He's the only one that I saw. One guy.

So, if you want to play for me moving forward, you better, I don't care what your resume says, I don't care if you were a five star, if you had a hundred tackles or 80 receptions or 30 touchdown passes, you better have some damn fire and energy in you. We lack it. We lack it. Severely.

Q. You talked about a sense of urgency. You came out with a sense of urgency. So what, the next step is to continue from that sense of urgency?
BRIAN KELLY: There's just not a continuation, there's no consistency in it. There -- they can't burn for a long time. There's no passion. There's no passion for it. It looks like it's hard to play. Like we're pulling teeth. You're playing football for Notre Dame. It looks like it's work. Last I checked they were getting a scholarship to play this game. There's no fun, there's no enjoyment, there's no energy. We got to look for the guys that want to have fun and play this game with passion and energy and that's where we got to go.

Q. Is there any reason you can put your finger on as to why they would lack that passion?
BRIAN KELLY: I must be doing a poor job. I've got to do a better job of finding out what those things are that are putting our football team in that position. But we got to have more of it.

Q. I think you had too many men on the field in that one sequence. You had 12 men on the field. You had to call the timeout, which is a timeout, obviously, you would like to have had at the end of the game. Was that just a matter of at that point you're starting to shuffle a lot of defensive players on the field?
BRIAN KELLY: Yeah, we're moving too many guys in and out. And what happens when you run in and out of the game, you're calling it from the sideline, but it is a responsibility -- and this goes hand in hand with what we're talking about -- there's only so much you can do. You then have to echo that going into the game. It's a speed package. You're a part of the speed package, you have to echo that going into the game. Poor communication going into the game results in having 12 guys on the field.

Q. What went into putting Malik Zaire out there in a non-quarterback role and how long have you been planning for that?
BRIAN KELLY: We have got some plays, but that's short lived now, too. After him taking the ball and not throwing it away after we sprint out and moved the pocket for the specific reason that if there's any kind of pressure, you can throw the ball away. So, you won't see that again.

Q. How would you evaluate DeShone just as a whole today?
BRIAN KELLY: Below standard. It's not acceptable, his play.

Q. Are you saying Wimbush could play this year?
BRIAN KELLY: That's a possibility. That's a definite possibility.

Then he ran out to a smorgasbord and was found semi-conscious in the bathroom covered in vomit mumbling something like he should have gone for 2 after the first TD.

DK had almost 400yrds
Three TDs
One pick that was like a punt
Almost a 90 QB rating

And the coach wants to bench him? This has nothing to do with QB issues. There are probably 20 teams in the top 25 that wish they had DK.
I certainly don't think he should be benched, but forget the numbers, Kizer did not play well today. Numbers aren't everything, he made many many mistakes today. This team has ZERO energy and ZERO interest.

Wow....he should be fired IMMEDIATELY..
How many times did he say THEY....and NOT ME. I truly hate this man. What a scum bag. Jumbo last week put it all on himself....our leader throws every player other than Dex under the bus. What a bad man in the worst way. I am completely disgusted by that fraud.

listen bozo : kelly spread the blame. he did say blame was not exclusively the players ; .That said, you sound like whining democrat leaning reporter on CNN or MSNBC parsing words. If you know how to read he puts blame on the coaches also. So give me a break

You have to be either kidding or incredibly stupid.

listen bozo : kelly spread the blame. he did say blame was not exclusively the players ; .That said, you sound like whining democrat leaning reporter on CNN or MSNBC parsing words. If you know how to read he puts blame on the coaches also. So give me a break

Peep the moron.

Like I said, if you, irishjohn and a goldfish had a debate you'd finish 3rd.

Q. How would you evaluate DeShone just as a whole today?
Porky: Below standard. It's not acceptable, his play.

Q. Are you saying Wimbush could play this year?
Porky: That's a possibility. That's a definite possibility.

If Wimbush does see the field it should be with a17 pt lead at a minimum.

What kind of effect will this play in the locker room

I certainly don't think he should be benched, but forget the numbers, Kizer did not play well today. Numbers aren't everything, he made many many mistakes today. This team has ZERO energy and ZERO interest.
I agree he did not play well but the lack of a strong running game hurts him

Gave up 500 yards (again) to a bad team ... The D out us in position to win? Really??? They blew a 14 point lead. They gave up 28 in the first half to a bad team that can't score.They gave up 10 points on the last 2 drives after we went up by 7 in 4th qtr.

Coach actually believes what he is saying ... This defense has been a disaster for several years. Almost every game is a toss up.

/i stating facts that are in the presser. /it has nothing to do with a collective band wagon bashing of Kelly. He said essentially the following. : fumbles, KR, poor execution and the coaches. Does he not say that yes or no. If you say no you are a CNN / MSNBC reporter ; If you say yes then you heard the presser properly. That said bash kelly I won't lose sleep over it. I realize you all need someone to take your frustrations out on so i/ guess I am it. The presser is not the problem . kelly is going no where ; I guess it is possible the irish can finish 500 or below. Right now the way they play I would say they have a chance of losing every game on the schedule so if that happens Kelly may be gone and a new regime would occur. The odds are Kelly stays and Bvg is gone. My perception of the presser won't change that

The turnover would be on the players, but the lack of text book run blocking on offense and the mess on defense is ALL on him.

Personnel?
Aren't the Irish thin on defesnse?
TO have been a consistent problem under Kelly, so I'll as again; if all the students fail, is it the students or the teacher?

Kelly coaches the starting QBs and Sanford coaches reserve QBs. We are starting to see Kizer become Golson/TR because of Kelly's putrid coaching.

Watching this for a second time.. this guy is a complete PoS! Yes Kelly, year after year it's the players fault they have all failed you.

This PoS is sounds like Hitler at the end of the war blaming the generals and the German people for the loss of the war. He is delusional and paranoid.

BRIAN KELLY: I must be doing a poor job. I've got to do a better job of finding out what those things are that are putting our football team in that position. But we got to have more of it.

BRIAN KELLY: Poor execution. Poor, poor execution. I like what we called. I liked the looks that we had, and we did a poor job executing.

And now we, listen this is not all on our players, we still have to coach better as well. There's a lot that we have to do. Because we have got some young players that require really good communication and really good coaching, too. So, I'm a 1-3 coach, we're all 1-3 coaches, so we're in the same boat as all of our players. So let's be clear on that.

For you CNN and MSNBC reporters (cvgr)

FYI, I know what I am saying is not popular but the Defense did play better . I agree with Kelly . He is being a typical manager even though public thinks its BVG is the main problem. He is protecting him outwardly. Thats what I would do also but behind the scenes there is more going on I guarantee it. Kelly will not bash his
coaches. If you look @ the transcripts when he talked about coaching flaws it was collective or himself. You would not want your manager in public to say he cvgr you suck because of poor performance on a project. You would want that to be an one on one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT