ADVERTISEMENT

Marcus Freeman the Super Fan

Dec 7, 2007
There is a great article in The Athletic, written by Pete Sampson, talking about the support that Marcus Freeman gives to the coaches and other sports programs at ND. He shows up at practices and games and gives his earnest support to those coaches. It talked about how MF went to the LAX final four to support the men's LAX team and see Kevin Corrigan win his first NC. You could tell it meant a lot to Corrigan.

You read some of the quotes from other coaches in the story and you can tell how much respect they have for MF. Here is what Jeff Jackson, coach of the hockey team, has to say about Freeman:

“He’s been at more head coaches’ meetings than any of the other head football coaches combined,” said Jackson, whose 18 hockey seasons span the tenures of Charlie Weis and Brian Kelly. “There would be times with some of the other guys that I would feel like I was standing in a three-foot hole when I was talking to them. That doesn’t happen with Marcus.”

Niele Ivey is also a big fan of MF. Here is what she said:

Of all the coaching spirits on campus, Freeman and Ivey may be the most kindred. The day of his introductory news conference, Freeman texted Ivey to start a connection. Basketball coaches attending football games is common, almost expected. But it’s never worked in reverse, until Freeman. He showed up to a home game against Connecticut last December.

And he just kept coming. Freeman even flew from South Bend to Greensboro, N.C., for the ACC Tournament quarters and semis to watch Notre Dame split games against N.C. State and Louisville.

“I don’t recall one time a football coach being at a game, when I was a player, when I was an assistant,” Ivey said. “That speaks volumes. It’s him showing up for women.”

According to the story, Freeman frequently meets with recruits from other sports, where Freeman will talk to those recruits and their parents about what it means to attend ND. Hard for me to picture Brian Kelly ever doing that.

The more I read about MF, the more amazed I am about how well he has adopted and embraced the ND culture, and how hard he is working to become a better coach. I know his success as the head coach will be measured by wins and losses, as it should be, but it is really hard not to be rooting for him when you read about the person he is.

Go Marcus.

He’s a great person.
Also I read from a few sources that at the top high schools in the country , coaches like nick saban , Kirby smart , even urban Meyer would show up just to watch some of the practices.
The coaches of these teams all said the same thing. Never once ever did they see Brian Kelly there .

You have to love the effort that MF is willing to put in to become a better head coach. As the article in The Athletic explained, MF shows up at practices for other sports because Marcus loves to "watch other coaches coach." His ego isn't so big that he thinks he knows it all. So while Swarbrick took a chance in hiring a head coach who was going to learn on the job, the other attributes that MF brings to the position--the willingness to work hard being the most important one--made that a chance worth taking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT