ADVERTISEMENT

Jafar Armstrong, RB, Cole Kmet, TE, Michael Young, WR, Kevin Austin, WR, and maybe Chase Claypool ?

“Outside of Etienne” uhh... it doesn’t work that way
I'm saying the rb situation at ND is not terrible. Jones doesn't have home run speed but he can definitely get the job done. Etienne goes down at Clemson and then what? They would be in a worse situation than what ND is in right now.

“really ? he's been well below average the last three games and was awful for nearly 3 quarters monday night.”

3 qtrs my ass. And he wasn’t “well below average against usc”. Still laugh that you loved rees as a player and think book sucks. Strange bars some of you set.

I'm saying the rb situation at ND is not terrible. Jones doesn't have home run speed but he can definitely get the job done. Etienne goes down at Clemson and then what? They would be in a worse situation than what ND is in right now.
Etienne goes down at Clemson, and some 5 star RB comes off the bench, that's what happens.

Every player, on every team, is one play away from getting injured. Those teams with depth will survive. Those that don't, will fall by the wayside.

Clemson has depth.

I don't want to belabor this point but take what Notre Dame has at running back and wide receiver right now and compare them to any top 10 type of program right now and it is ugly

Notre Dame has a really good offensive line with tons of upside they have a really solid quarterback who the jury is still out on what he's capable of this season outside of that the wide receiver and running back position with all of these losses is now a total dumpster fire

there is no sugarcoating it there is no spin of positivity on it it is really really really bad situation.

it was bad when several of these guys were healthy and Kmet went down it was tragic when Michael Young went down now it's a complete and total disastrous dumpster fire

If these guys don't come back and get healthy quick or if Clark Lea doesn't pull a miracle 85 Chicago bears defense out of his ass this team has no chance whatsoever.

I have Notre Dame down to seven or eight wins to finish the year after this latest loss at running back
Ummm, Notre Dame is in the top 10.

A dumpster fire??? You are clueless.

Can you name every WR and RB that starts on every top 10 team?

You cannot name ONE, without looking it up. You just throw stuff out there to see what sticks.

Dumpster fire! What a joke. ND does not have anything that resembles a dumpster fire.

You wanna know what a dumpster fire is? EVERYONE OF YOUR POSTS!!!!

“really ? he's been well below average the last three games and was awful for nearly 3 quarters monday night.”

3 qtrs my ass. And he wasn’t “well below average against usc”. Still laugh that you loved rees as a player and think book sucks. Strange bars some of you set.
other than the beautiful throw to finke against usc he was pretty bad.

never said book sucks. i challenge you to find a post where i said that. the last three games he has in my opinion throwing the ball. ran the ball well monday, many times when he didn't have to.

“never said book sucks. i challenge you to find a post where i said that. the last three games he has in my opinion throwing the ball. ran the ball well monday, many times when he didn't have to.”

Just scroll through your posts about him. Whether you’ve said the actual words “book sucks” or not, we all can get can a pretty good idea of how you feel about him, so spare me the “I challenge you to find where you said that” nonsense. It’s all over your posts about him. He didn’t throw the ball badly against usc, btw, that’s made up fake news. Don’t waste your time w/ me though, you and the usual book bashers need to get ready to post any of his negative plays so u can say “I told you so”. I’ve been watching ND football for 45 plus years and never have I witnessed such over the top scathing criticism for an ND qb that’s only lost 1 game as a starter and put together the best completion % at ND ever. He had an 8.4 yds per attempt in a game that you claim he was “hot garbage” for three qtrs. Your analysis of him is “hot garbage”, imo.

“other than the beautiful throw to finke against usc he was pretty bad.”

No, u’re right, the other 21 completions for over 300 yds didn’t happen.

“never said book sucks. i challenge you to find a post where i said that. the last three games he has in my opinion throwing the ball. ran the ball well monday, many times when he didn't have to.”

Just scroll through your posts about him. Whether you’ve said the actual words “book sucks” or not, we all can get can a pretty good idea of how you feel about him, so spare me the “I challenge you to find where you said that” nonsense. It’s all over your posts about him. He didn’t throw the ball badly against usc, btw, that’s made up fake news. Don’t waste your time w/ me though, you and the usual book bashers need to get ready to post any of his negative plays so u can say “I told you so”. I’ve been watching ND football for 45 plus years and never have I witnessed such over the top scathing criticism for an ND qb that’s only lost 1 game as a starter and put together the best completion % at ND ever. He had an 8.4 yds per attempt in a game that you claim he was “hot garbage” for three qtrs. Your analysis of him is “hot garbage”, imo.
22 for 39 is pretty bad in the current era of college football. got garbage yards on a hail mary to Boykin that couldn't even reach the end zone on the fly and Jones ran for 50 after catching a swing pass. missed numerous wide open receivers. watch the game objectively and see for yourself. bottom line is he has not played well three games in a row. I guarantee he would tell you the same thing.

Last edited:

The SBT and virtually everyone else who wrote about or discussed the Louisville game talked about how perplexing his performance was, his horrible pocket presence and general inaccuracy. not sure what you're watching or are accepting of what you're watching. You're getting like Patirish resorting to easily skewed statistics. you're way better than that.

“other than the beautiful throw to finke against usc he was pretty bad.”

No, u’re right, the other 21 completions for over 300 yds didn’t happen.
you including the 48 on a piss poor hail mary pass and the swing pass that Jones took to the house for 51 yards ? stats are easily skewed.

People are extremely tough on Wimbush last year, Book Last year, Book vs Louisville because we see ND has championship level potential at a lot of positions, we're concerned the QB position might hold us back as it did to end last year and vs Louisville. Not hold ND back from beating teams they should but holding ND back from winning at Georgia or being a title contender.

With that said, our Run D could be an issue, and injuries are as well.

Book had a really fine season last year. i think it's more than fair to be concerned with the fact that he has performed well below average in his last three games.

Book had a really fine season last year. i think it's more than fair to be concerned with the fact that he has performed well below average in his last three games.
I'm concerned because his issue isn't a quick fix. 5 weeks before clemson wasn't enough time, 9 months before louisville wasn't enough time. I could see being a bit quick to leave the pocket vs clemson, they got some big fast athletic ugglies on D. Louisville did not, they were quick in spots, but very undersized.

He really needs to hang in there vs NM but it could still be fools gold. That's a bad D our Oline should man handle.

Book was 14-23 for 193 yds. That is a 60% completion rate with 13 yds per completion average. 1 TD in the air and 1 on the ground. No interceptions. He had 81 yds on the ground. Despite that, we seem to all agree that he really underperformed.. He has come a long way for a guy who was an after thought offer. He would have been record breaking great at WSU throwing 40 to 50 times a game.

I'm concerned because his issue isn't a quick fix. 5 weeks before clemson wasn't enough time, 9 months before louisville wasn't enough time. I could see being a bit quick to leave the pocket vs clemson, they got some big fast athletic ugglies on D. Louisville did not, they were quick in spots, but very undersized.

He really needs to hang in there vs NM but it could still be fools gold. That's a bad D our Oline should man handle.
Jake Fromm was 15/23 for 156 yards for Georgia. He also had 9 months to prepare for Vanderbilt. Not too impressive for a Heisman candidate.

It's one game. Let's see how things transpire from here before we hit the panic button.

Jake Fromm was 15/23 for 156 yards for Georgia. He also had 9 months to prepare for Vanderbilt. Not too impressive for a Heisman candidate.

It's one game. Let's see how things transpire from here before we hit the panic button.
I’m not a big Fromm fan but Georgia didn’t need to throw, and their WRs are actually just solid, last year they had studs. Fromm didn’t panic and ruin plays like book did vs Louisville.

Plus, Trevor Lawrence was 13-23 for 156 yds, 1 TD and 2 interceptions. 24 yds rushing with one TD. He is regressing.

Plus, Trevor Lawrence was 13-23 for 156 yds, 1 TD and 2 interceptions. 24 yds rushing with one TD. He is regressing.
This is just dumb. Yes Lawrence played awful but he’s done it vs the best teams on the highest stage in college football. Book has been bad last 3 games and the formula is out on him. Book can prove me wrong vs Georgia by actually making reads, staying in a good pocket, stepping into downfield throws, and not being scared to make an accurate throw before being hit.

This must be a hyperbolic overstatement, right?

Chase Claypool was a top 150, consensus 4 star wide receiver, who developed into a soon-to-be, early 2nd day NFL Draft Pick.

Brock Wright was a top 100 player and the #2 TE in his class. He was open all night on Monday and just never had the ball thrown his way.

Javon McKinley was a top 150 player who was a consensus 4 star receiver. Would start at a TON of the low end Power 5 schools you're talking about.

Tommy Tremble was hurt his entire senior season (broke his ankle in the first game of the year) or he would have been a consensus 4 star player... Going to be a stud. TEs don't often a high 4.5.

Lawrence Keys and Braden Lenzy were both 4 star players with good, to great offer lists.

Does ND boast Alabama or Clemson talent at the skill positions? Not even close. But "bottom of the power 5?"

You mean like... Rutgers, Kansas, Illinois, Kansas State, Georgia Tech, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Texas Tech, Indiana, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Michigan State, Baylor, Arizona, Colorado, UCLA, Oregon State, Washington State, Ole Miss, Miss State, Kentucky, etc, etc...

Those are 25'ish power 5 teams off the top of my head, whose coaches would drag their body across hot coals to trade their skill position players for ND's healthy group, in a heartbeat. There is no doubt that ND is suffering right now, and being down 4 of their top 7 skilled guys is certainly limiting their explosiveness, but with a couple weeks to prepare for New Mexico (and it doesn't matter who plays in that game) some of the younger players will develop better timing with Book, and with any luck one of Kmet or Young, will be ready to go for Georgia.

I have a couple of nitpicks with your evaluation methodology here.

1. After 1-2 years in the program I put way more weight on the player's production in the program than I do their recruiting ranking. When I say production I'm including camp performance as well. The group of McKinley, Lenzy, Keys, etc. haven't made any impact since their recruitment. There was little to no talk about any of these guys from the coaching staff/media insiders since their recruitment which is also a telling sign of little to no progress. In fact, they were beat out by a walkon and a 3 star Michael Young. This says a lot about their prospects/upside going forward.

2. Brock Wright is an excellent blocking TE but he offers nothing in the passing gaming beyond 5 yards. Notre Dame has plenty of blockers, it's the lack of players who have any track record, or evidence that they can get down field and make some plays that is missing. Jafar Armstrong was the last remaining player on the offense beyond Claypool that has shown some big play potential. I agree regarding Tremble and he might be NDs #2/#3 option going forward.

Admittedly i was being a bit hyperbolic to suggest that NDs remaining skill players are equivalent to bottom feeding P5 programs, but if we were to break down the situation and rank these teams based on criteria like depth, talent ranking, and production, I'm sure it would be a lot closer than many would like to believe.

ND seems to be getting off the hook way too easily with ND fans/media people *constantly* using the qualifier "its not Alabama or Clemson but..." it is not just those two programs well ahead of ND, especially if you take into account all of these injuries to the first team on offense. NDs composite talent ranking is 14th right now, then you add the bad injury luck this fall, and there are probably a good 15+ programs ahead of ND right now (and even more than that when you just rank programs by their talent on offense).

There also seems to be this sentiment among ND fans that injuries don't matter, or that they don't mean much. But injuries are everything especially to positions that haven't been recruited well. Good injury luck last year and in 2012 was why ND was able to go undefeated. Bad injury/suspension/etc. luck is why ND had some of their worst seasons in 2013 and 2014.

When you take away a quarterback's starting #1 TE, #3 and #4 WR, and #1RB there should be an expectation among the fan base for some SERIOUS drop off of production/performance, even on teams that have recruited way deeper than ND has. Yet ND fans don't seem to be putting together that loss of talent = loss of production on the football field. Even Trevor Lawrence would look ordinary as hell if you took away 4 of his best skill players in the 2 deep/best playmakers on offense (even though Clemson has better 2nd and 3rd teamers on offense than ND does).

Coming into the year, even when everybody was healthy, I thought this WR/RB group was subpar. The silver lining was the potential that Armstrong flashed last season when healthy. But after these injuries, I've reduced my 8-9 win projection to 7-8 regular season wins this season. I expect the offense to struggle/underwhelm for at least the first half of the season as well and the problems are going to go way beyond ian book's mistake ridden productive performances.

Kmet looks like he'll be returning soon but it's going to take time before these guys are back to some semblance of full strength again (regardless of what their return date is) and it will cost ND production and ultimately victories this season. And it should surprise no one when it does.

Last edited:
“you including the 48 on a piss poor hail mary pass and the swing pass that Jones took to the house for 51 yards ? stats are easily skewed.”

Ok, so the other 19 completions for 200 yds didn’t happen? See that, anyone can skew stats to their liking, right? Your posts really do demonstrate what you think of book though. And you challenged me to find a post where you say he sucks. Lol. Just read the majority of your posts on the subject. It’s in the fine print. ;)

“The SBT and virtually everyone else who wrote about or discussed the Louisville game talked about how perplexing his performance was, his horrible pocket presence and general inaccuracy. not sure what you're watching or are accepting of what you're watching. You're getting like Patirish resorting to easily skewed statistics. you're way better than that.”

Please don’t lump me in w/ anyone else on the board when it comes to the defense of book. I don’t need any help from others, I’m fine w/ my own points on the matter and don’t agree w/ everything that posters say in defense of him. I clearly said that he left the pocket too early a few times and also said I was concerned w/ his accuracy on some short throws that he was pinpoint on before. See that, I’ve been objective. Now others go way overboard by citing plays and reads that are missed. That pretty much happens in every game to every qb, but the bashers put it under their microscope because they dislike the player. They act as though if there’s a pocket for one play that the qb should stay in it regardless of what’s happened during the game so far. Collapsing pockets play a part. If a qb is experiencing collapsing pockets at times, it’s gonna speed that clock up. Does he need to get better at that? Sure, but some of you act as though he’s just tucking and running at times for no reason. That’s not true, if he’s already been victimized by some pressures during the game, it’ll be in the back of any qb’s head that maybe he needs to hurry up his progressions and take off. If he’s had great protection throughout and he’s running early all the time, I’d say it’s a problem, but he hasn’t gotten consistent pass protection, and that’s not debatable. He needs to have faith in his protection, they need to protect better, and the playcalling needs to improve. Whether any of that improves will be on full display in a couple weeks.

“you including the 48 on a piss poor hail mary pass and the swing pass that Jones took to the house for 51 yards ? stats are easily skewed.”

Ok, so the other 19 completions for 200 yds didn’t happen? See that, anyone can skew stats to their liking, right? Your posts really do demonstrate what you think of book though. And you challenged me to find a post where you say he sucks. Lol. Just read the majority of your posts on the subject. It’s in the fine print. ;)
of course they happened. i'm talking overall performance. he's the starting QB at ND. should we not have expectations of a better than average performance ?

“The SBT and virtually everyone else who wrote about or discussed the Louisville game talked about how perplexing his performance was, his horrible pocket presence and general inaccuracy. not sure what you're watching or are accepting of what you're watching. You're getting like Patirish resorting to easily skewed statistics. you're way better than that.”

Please don’t lump me in w/ anyone else on the board when it comes to the defense of book. I don’t need any help from others, I’m fine w/ my own points on the matter and don’t agree w/ everything that posters say in defense of him. I clearly said that he left the pocket too early a few times and also said I was concerned w/ his accuracy on some short throws that he was pinpoint on before. See that, I’ve been objective. Now others go way overboard by citing plays and reads that are missed. That pretty much happens in every game to every qb, but the bashers put it under their microscope because they dislike the player. They act as though if there’s a pocket for one play that the qb should stay in it regardless of what’s happened during the game so far. Collapsing pockets play a part. If a qb is experiencing collapsing pockets at times, it’s gonna speed that clock up. Does he need to get better at that? Sure, but some of you act as though he’s just tucking and running at times for no reason. That’s not true, if he’s already been victimized by some pressures during the game, it’ll be in the back of any qb’s head that maybe he needs to hurry up his progressions and take off. If he’s had great protection throughout and he’s running early all the time, I’d say it’s a problem, but he hasn’t gotten consistent pass protection, and that’s not debatable. He needs to have faith in his protection, they need to protect better, and the playcalling needs to improve. Whether any of that improves will be on full display in a couple weeks.
i don't dislike the player at all. i've said repeatedly that he is a good college QB and ND is lucky to have him. that said i'm not going to ignore three bad performances in a row in my opinion. ND needs him to get better. he can't run at the first perceived sense of pressure. you waste plays that way. Qbs are going to get hit especially against quality fronts. right or wrong the QB position will always get more scrutiny. comes with the job. you want to take it personal that's fine. it's certainly not with me. i call it the way i see it.

No, we can all really see how much you like him, echo. And just ftr, you can jam the “personal” talk, I call it like I see it too and have zero personal interest. As for scrutiny of the position? I get it but let’s not pretend that you and a few others here have been posting your every day run of the mill scrutiny of the qb, it’s been far from that and all you have to do is read them to see that. But by all means, keep watching hoping that he fails like some of the others here do so they can run to the keyboard and talk about how he missed an easy blitz read at 10:22 in the 2nd qtr.

He's never, I repeat NEVER taken a big hit in the pocket. You know why? Because he panics if he feels the slightest bit of pressure whether it is there or not. He panics if his first read is covered and he doesn't have a WALL in front of him for protection.

“He's never, I repeat NEVER taken a big hit in the pocket. You know why? Because he panics if he feels the slightest bit of pressure whether it is there or not. He panics if his first read is covered and he doesn't have a WALL in front of him for protection.”

As I said in another post, get a new dog. And rarely is there a “wall”, btw.

No, we can all really see how much you like him, echo. And just ftr, you can jam the “personal” talk, I call it like I see it too and have zero personal interest. As for scrutiny of the position? I get it but let’s not pretend that you and a few others here have been posting your every day run of the mill scrutiny of the qb, it’s been far from that and all you have to do is read them to see that. But by all means, keep watching hoping that he fails like some of the others here do so they can run to the keyboard and talk about how he missed an easy blitz read at 10:22 in the 2nd qtr.
WE don't want him to FAIL!

I'll say it right now. Book is the best QB in 2019 on NDs roster, by FAR!

But, i want ND to be a contender for a championship. Right now there's two things that concern me. Run D and Ian Book, a 3rd i guess would be health. We aren't a contender with last years Ian Book, and we'll probably lose more games than we should if we continue getting the Ian book since IMHO Pitt, but really the last 3 games. If book plays like he did vs Louisville we could lose to 6-7 remaining teams on our schedule, we could win them all too other than Georgia if our D improves and performs like last year.

“He's never, I repeat NEVER taken a big hit in the pocket. You know why? Because he panics if he feels the slightest bit of pressure whether it is there or not. He panics if his first read is covered and he doesn't have a WALL in front of him for protection.”

As I said in another post, get a new dog. And rarely is there a “wall”, btw.
Exactly, you can't expect a wall, it just doesn't happen much vs P5 Teams trying to rush the QB.

I don't have a new dog to get, Jurk ain't ready yet.

This is a prime example of why I take your analysis w/ a grain of salt. You say we aren’t a contender w/ last year’s book, yet we were indeed a contender w/ last year’s book, unless you think the only contender was Clemson. Then you bring up the Pitt fake narrative again. But more than any of that, you call him our biggest concern. So you think every area is just fine to be a title contender other than book and maybe the run d. So you think our o-line is title contender worthy? Lol. Rarely does he ever get a clean pocket and rarely do we ever get consistent short yardage first down runs but you think book is more of a concern than our o-line. Factor in some downright shitty playcalling and book is far from our biggest concern, but keep bashing him if that’s what you wanna do, but don’t be shocked if I keep telling you you’re full of it, cuz you are when it comes to this subject.

“Exactly, you can't expect a wall, it just doesn't happen much vs P5 Teams trying to rush the QB.

I don't have a new dog to get, Jurk ain't ready yet.”

Well, maybe you can petition to get wimbush back then. ;)

You should try getting a Labrador. They eat everything when they’re teething, but they’re cool dogs. I think you should do it, maybe get some closure.

This is a prime example of why I take your analysis w/ a grain of salt. You say we aren’t a contender w/ last year’s book, yet we were indeed a contender w/ last year’s book, unless you think the only contender was Clemson. Then you bring up the Pitt fake narrative again. But more than any of that, you call him our biggest concern. So you think every area is just fine to be a title contender other than book and maybe the run d. So you think our o-line is title contender worthy? Lol. Rarely does he ever get a clean pocket and rarely do we ever get consistent short yardage first down runs but you think book is more of a concern than our o-line. Factor in some downright shitty playcalling and book is far from our biggest concern, but keep bashing him if that’s what you wanna do, but don’t be shocked if I keep telling you you’re full of it, cuz you are when it comes to this subject.
Our oline isn't perfect but they did really well vs Louisville. Good QB play and they give up 0 sacks. In short yardage each situation is unique, tremble missed a block or two, poor play calling, poor pass by book, soft run by TJ.

We have a WR that will start in the NFL, we have multiple Oline that will start in the NFL, once Kmet is back we have an NFL starting TE, without armstrong are running game will be adequate, but book is the biggest ? right now. It's obvious to everyone that gets paid to analyze games, even ND homer beat writers.

Yes our Run D is a concern, YOU KNOW I'VE BASHED BILAL.

Chip Long play calling is a concern of mine.

So don't try to claim I only think Book is our concern, but he plays the most important position. No excuse not to have scored at least 49 vs that D and our opportunities.

“Our oline isn't perfect but they did really well vs Louisville”

Didn’t read anything after this cuz the premise is BS.

“Exactly, you can't expect a wall, it just doesn't happen much vs P5 Teams trying to rush the QB.

I don't have a new dog to get, Jurk ain't ready yet.”

Well, maybe you can petition to get wimbush back then. ;)

You should try getting a Labrador. They eat everything when they’re teething, but they’re cool dogs. I think you should do it, maybe get some closure.
What's our best win in the last 3 years and who was QB. There's a reason Book couldn't play vs UM, kelly said book was not the type of QB to handle UMs pressure, and we obviously know why now. Wimbush was in constant pressure the entire game, stood in and stepped up in the pocket and made some extremely tough throws and runs.

“But, i want ND to be a contender for a championship. Right now there's two things that concern me. Run D and Ian Book, a 3rd i guess would be health.”

I’m not “claiming” you said it, you said it in your own words.

“Our oline isn't perfect but they did really well vs Louisville”

Didn’t read anything after this cuz the premise is BS.
Except they graded out pretty good, but hey, make up stuff to fit your narrative.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT