ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting, 5th Years and 2020 Depth Chart

Guys (especially quarterbacks) can get immediate eligibility these days by claiming nearly anything. If Phil wanted to transfer for the opportunity to start somewhere next year, he and his family could make it happen.

Maybe I'm wrong and he starts as a SR and 5th year SR before giving way to Tyler Buchner as a sophomore. We'll see.
I hear what your saying but.... he is a redshirt Freshman. So sit one more year and have 2 yrs all on the field success as a ND QB and maturity wise. You don’t think Phil Stays? He has no body of work just speculation if he really wants to be in the NFL he needs to stay put. Not to mention Coach Kelly will go with the upperclassmen just like every other college coach. Leaving would kill his draft status unless he wins the Heisman and O Brian. And that is not happening if he leaves

I hear what your saying but.... he is a redshirt Freshman. So sit one more year and have 2 yrs all on the field success as a ND QB and maturity wise. You don’t think Phil Stays? He has no body of work just speculation if he really wants to be in the NFL he needs to stay put. Not to mention Coach Kelly will go with the upperclassmen just like every other college coach. Leaving would kill his draft status unless he wins the Heisman and O Brian. And that is not happening if he leaves

I get a sense you are not so much about Phil as you are concerned aboutND depth.
JMO: PJ will not start for a BK coached team.

CBO can realize he will not play in the NFL so get your degree, make some good connections and move on with life.
Maybe or the effort isn’t worth the degree.... he’s not a power 5 caliber rb and never will be... it was a dumb scholarship to give out.... sorry it was obvious

Reactions: jcswoopnh
Given his hype coming out of hs I thought Phil would win the QB job last year. The media talk heads who watched watched spring and fall practice this season have agreed; Ian Book was clearly the starting QB. I was more impressed with the small window I saw Brandon Clark play this year than PJ. I suspect BK already knows who will be back next year and recruited accordingly. I get the strong impression that BK and his staff aren't star gazers either. I've noticed many times where they have picked a three star player over a four or five star player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennick4
Ian is a decent qb, but if he's sooooo great why do they have him listed as not being drafted in any round of the NFL if he were to declare this year? I'm sure you know better then all the scouts huh. As far as Phil your putting words in my mouth as usual. I never said anything more then Phil should get a chance at more meaningful reps. You have no clue what's happening behind the scenes nor do you have any idea how he will fare anywhere else. Just more delusional babble as usual. Now go bring out another one of your logins to troll me lol.
“Phil should get a chance”. Based on what? Share your intel.

“Phil should get a chance”. Based on what? Share your intel.
Based on he was one of the best hs QBs in the country. He held offers from clemson , Alabama, and Ohio state just to name a few. Based on he didn't come here to ride the bench behind Book who had no offers from any good d1 schools.

Based on he was one of the best hs QBs in the country. He held offers from clemson , Alabama, and Ohio state just to name a few. Based on he didn't come here to ride the bench behind Book who had no offers from any good d1 schools.
I want him to get pt too. But in all fairness, he doesnt look great

Reactions: IrishMike409
So you want him to get PT based off of things he did 3 years ago, while in HS?

What have you seen/heard him do at ND that warrants PT?

I'm a big Book fan but he has to get three more wins this year -- and hopefully beat a highly ranked team in the bowl game. If he stumbles, and I don't expect that to happen, I think we all agree it is time to open up the competition and give Phil a real chance.

What they did in hs doesn't mean squat now. They competed the last two seasons on the practice field and Ian clearly won both seasons according to some pretty smart media people, who actually watched them practice. Stars get you nothing in college. They mean nothing except to star gazers. It's DC vs TR 2.0 again. Fortunately it's BK and CL's call to make and not the fans. When PJ earns it on the field then the coaches will start him. I have no problem with that; I just want to win. Right now Ian's the man.

So you want him to get PT based off of things he did 3 years ago, while in HS?

What have you seen/heard him do at ND that warrants PT?
Yes I think it warrants he should at least have a chance to get real playing time. Sadly we will never know how good he could have been. He is a prototypical qb with all the hype and supposedly a much higher ceiling than Book. But he will mostly likely go some where else.

Wow.... :eek:

No way. Why stall his development. I think he's been very good this year all things considered.

I agree with you considering he switched position and a RS freshman to boot. Talk about learning on the fly. He's a perfect example of that phrase. He'll be much better next season I would think with a full season under his belt.

Reactions: Pennick4
Sadly, it looks as if ND is all but done in the 2020 cycle at this point. You might see 1-2 late adds, but at this point scholarships appear to be being held for 5th year candidates. Not saying that's a bad strategy, I just wish they were in on a couple quality DBs, at least one linebacker, or a difference making DE. IMO, the defensive recruiting has now seen a drop off for the 2nd class in a row.

These appear to be the 5th years that you can expect to see back at ND next year...

QB: Ian Book (if he wants to be)
RB: Tony Jones Jr
LT: Liam Eichenberg
RG: Tommy Kraemer
DE: Daelin Hayes
DE: Ade Ogundeji

The following group are guys that could return depending on how they see themselves fitting onto the roster and if Notre Dame gives them the opportunity.

WR: Javon McKinley
S: Alohi Gilman
CB: Shaun Crawford (6th year)

That is a ton of potential 5th / 6th years guys. In some ways it will be really good that Notre Dame is "old and experienced", but from an overall talent perspective you wish some more of these guys were NFL bound early, rather than late.

This is my first look at the 2020 2-deep, without being able to predict transfers and having to make my best guess at 5th years.

QB: Ian Book
2. Brendon Clark

RB: Tony Jones Jr
2. Jafar Armstrong

WR: Kevin Austin Jr
2. Javon McKinley

WR: Braden Lenzy
2. Jordon Johnson

Slot: Lawrence Keys
2. Joe Wilkins Jr

TE: Cole Kmet
2. Tommy Tremble or Brock Wright

LT: Liam Eichenberg
2. Josh Lugg

LG: Aaron Banks
2. Dillan Gibbons

C: Jarrett Patterson
2. Zeke Correll

RG: Tommy Kraemer
2. Dillan Gibbons

RT: Robert Hainsey
2. Josh Lugg

2. Ovie Oghoufo or Isaiah Foskey

DT: Myron Tagavailoa-Amosa
2. Jayson Ademilola

NT: Kurt Hinish
2. Jacob Lacey

DE: Ade Ogundeji
2. Justin Ademilola

Rover: Paul Moala
2. Marist Liufau

Buck: Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah
2. Jack Lamb

Mike: Drew White
2. Bo Bauer

CB: Tariq Bracy
2. KJ Wallace

FS: Kyle Hamilton
2. Isaiah Pryor

SS: Houston Griffith
2. Isaiah Pryor

CB: Shaun Crawford (if he returns)
2. Isaiah Rutherford

Captains
QB: Ian Book
RT: Robert Hainsey
TE: Cole Kmet
CB: Shaun Crawford (if he returns)
Realistically, do you see us primed with talent enough to compete for a title in 2021 or 2022? I assume next year is unlikely, right? Maybe a 10-11 win season in 2020, but not the talent to beat Bama? Thoughts? I’m very hopeful we can build something special by 2021 or 2022. I figure you’ve followed recruiting long enough to see patterns and how we’ll stack up in the coming seasons. With a 5* QB and some serious talent at WR coming to ND, can we finally move the needle? The way I see it, if we had Jimmy Clausen, Michael Floyd, and Theo Riddick on this 2019 squad, we’d have beaten GA and UM like a drum.

Last edited:
Maybe or the effort isn’t worth the degree.... he’s not a power 5 caliber rb and never will be... it was a dumb scholarship to give out.... sorry it was obvious
CBO is playing well. He is earning carries and doing well.

Reactions: Ara64
CBO is playing well. He is earning carries and doing well.

3.2 yards per carry is extremely pedestrian.

Tony Jones Jr: 5.9 yards per carry
Jahmir Smith: 5.1 yards per carry
Ian Book: 5.0 yards per carry (including sack yardage)

C'bo Flemister: 2.3 yards per carry
Jafar Armstrong: 2.0 yards per carry
Avery Davis: 1.0 yards per carry

At this point, it's obvious who should be carrying the ball. Tony, Jahmir and Ian should by your primary play carriers when they're healthy. The other guys have had far inferior production when on the field.

Reactions: mirer03
No way. Why stall his development. I think he's been very good this year all things considered.

I think that Hainsey is one of your 5 best. I just think that the staff stubbornly played him out of position for 3 years. At guard or center he has plus feet, plus arm length, adequate height, and adequate strength. At tackle he has inadequate height, inadequate arm length, average feet and average strength.

Agree that it's a 10 win team. And I do agree that both of those guys will get carries if C'bo is back. I would put the pecking order for carries something like this, keeping in mind that I'm fully expecting a transfer.

1. Tony Jones Jr.
2. Jafar Armstrong
3. Jahmir Smith
4. Chris Tyree
5. C'bo Flemister
6. Kyren Williams
Chris Tyree will have to put on some more weight and so I can see him at 4 but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he moves up the chart sometime during his freshmen year if he breaks off a couple of 60 plus yd runs with his 4.3 speed that he has. Chris is faster than Adams and Williams which is scary for our future opponents starting next season because we all know how many 50 plus yd runs that they both had while at ND

I get a sense you are not so much about Phil as you are concerned aboutND depth.
JMO: PJ will not start for a BK coached team.
I really like PJ but at the end of the day he has to beat out IB. He has to show he is the better player and can run the offense. If he sits next year he will be just fine more time to get better. Everyone is so quick to jump ship these days.

Yes I think it warrants he should at least have a chance to get real playing time. Sadly we will never know how good he could have been. He is a prototypical qb with all the hype and supposedly a much higher ceiling than Book. But he will mostly likely go some where else.
So what he did 3 years ago in HS warrants PT now. That’s your stance?

I played college basketball, and wow, I woulda pissed off if a guy played in front of me because of things he accomplished 3 years ago while in High School. I believe in merit based PT.

I really like PJ but at the end of the day he has to beat out IB. He has to show he is the better player and can run the offense. If he sits next year he will be just fine more time to get better. Everyone is so quick to jump ship these days.

again, you are not taking into consideration of what is best for PJ, the football player. PJ should get the message, ‘he (Kelly) just ain’t that into you’.
So he needs to ask himself, “am I a-football player or a fan?”

Reactions: irish4life888

I played college basketball, and wow, I woulda pissed off if a guy played in front of me because of things he accomplished 3 years ago while in High School. I believe in merit based PT.
Don't tell that to some of the so-called "experts" on this board. Their opinion of who plays first rests in star rankings and the HS highlight videos they viewed online.

Don't tell that to some of the so-called "experts" on this board. Their opinion of who plays first rests in star rankings and the HS highlight videos they viewed online.

Don’t tell ^ about the relationship between contenders, national champions and star recruiting. He is still going with “the world is flat”.

ND shut down after the special teams blocked the Michigan punt. The whole team just stopped playing in the face of adversity. It reminded me of the USC game back in 2014. I never expected that from this team against Michigan. ND fought back and beat LSU in the bowl game in 2014 and ND is fighting back again. This team doesn't need players from the past. This current team is doing just fine. Eric Hansen feels this team could compete for the championship if certain 5th years return next season. I agree with him. The team will be more mature with a lot more experience than this years team. Will know plenty when we play Wisconsin-N next season followed by Stanford-H, Clemson-H, Louisville-H, and USC-A. Around those really big games we have Navy-N, Arkansas-H, Wake Forrest-N, Pitt-A, Duke-H, and Georgia Tech-A. The should win game is Western Michigan-H.
Next season will depend on how ND comes through the mountain of Giants. ND doesn't play Wisconsin until week 5; which gives them plenty of time for their new players to gel into their roles. Stanford comes to ND the following week. Will they be the old Stanford under Shaw or will they falter once again? I expect they'll be ready for ND next season. Clemson enough said about them. Louisville has improved greatly already this year. They could finish this season 8-4. They will definitely be better next year. I expect USC will have a new coach next season. I smell trouble in the air from Troganland.
I do like the way the schedule laid out for next season with 6 home games, 3 neutral site games, and only three true away games. It looks like an exciting season from this fan's perspective.

Reactions: DublinND
Don’t tell ^ about the relationship between contenders, national champions and star recruiting. He is still going with “the world is flat”.
And your obsession with me has not yet changed, Perse, even though you changed your handle.

Are you trying to get to 30,000 posts with this one also?

Good for you. I wish I had a nickel for every poster claiming to be a college athlete. But I'm not the only one scratching their head the editor of Irish illustrated Lou in his pod cast can't understand why Phil with all his potential upside has gotten little to no PT and believes he will transfer. So I agree with his opinion waaaaaaay more then your so called expert opinion.

Reactions: Golson5
I've never claimed to be an expert. But you should really go listen to Irish illustrated podcast. They all share my opinion. You could also really improve your knowledge on ND football. Heck college football in general.

I've never claimed to be an expert. But you should really go listen to Irish illustrated podcast. They all share my opinion. You could also really improve your knowledge on ND football. Heck college football in general.
I never said I was talking about you, now did I? My POINT was that PT is earned, not an entitlement based upon HS star ratings.

FWIW, you and I may not agree on this topic. That's called an opinion. Just because we differ on opinion doesn't mean either one of us knows any more about football than the other. Therefore I see no need for the personal attack about my knowledge of football.

Carry on.

Reactions: irish4life888
I see Jafar getting moved back to wr. BK does this a LOT. C'Bo has some good runs.I really don't see McKinley being asked back though. Way too much Talent needs at WR. I really think there are 3-04 guys that might enter transfer portal. Avery Davis deserves a shot somewhere. He is underused by BK. ND needs a hoss fullback for short yardage game.

Reactions: DublinND
Once you arrive as a freshman, none of that stuff matters at all.

Reactions: Ara64
Good for you. I wish I had a nickel for every poster claiming to be a college athlete. But I'm not the only one scratching their head the editor of Irish illustrated Lou in his pod cast can't understand why Phil with all his potential upside has gotten little to no PT and believes he will transfer. So I agree with his opinion waaaaaaay more then your so called expert opinion.
Never said I was an expert. Not close.

I’ve asked you 3 times now what Phil has done to warrant PT. You keep going back to his HS accomplishments, 3+ years ago. Your argument is very weak, absolutely no substance to it.

I’d love for him to be better than Book, but we have no reason to think he’s actually that.

Last edited:
Never said I was an expert. Not close.

I’ve asked you 3 times now what Phil has done to warrant PT. You keep going back to his HS accomplishments, 3+ years ago. Your argument is very weak, absolutely no substance to it.

I’d love for him to be better than Book, but we have no reason to think he’s actually that.
You claiming to be a bb player was some how insinuating you knew more. My point is that Phil should have gotten a shot. Especially when Book was playing poor. Or at least get some meaningful playing time during Navy. While stars behind your name is not the end all be all, but it's rare for ND to pull these kind of recruits. He should have at least gotten a chance. I really don't know how more clear I could make it for you. I'll just wish Phil the best at his next stop.

You claiming to be a bb player was some how insinuating you knew more. My point is that Phil should have gotten a shot. Especially when Book was playing poor. Or at least get some meaningful playing time during Navy. While stars behind your name is not the end all be all, but it's rare for ND to pull these kind of recruits. He should have at least gotten a chance. I really don't know how more clear I could make it for you. I'll just wish Phil the best at his next stop.
No....I’m just saying I’ve been there, and it woulda pissed me off if a coach’s logic was: “this guy was an elite HS player, and while he’s underwhelmed here in college, I’m going to give him your PT”. That’s a great way to lose the team or lose the locker room.

Who gives a shit what Phil did 3 years ago in Pennsylvania. Obviously, he hasn’t met expectations at ND. And remember- you see 1% of what goes on. You’re not at practice, not in the meeting rooms, not in the locker room.

No....I’m just saying I’ve been there, and it woulda pissed me off if a coach’s logic was: “this guy was an elite HS player, and while he’s underwhelmed here in college, I’m going to give him your PT”. That’s a great way to lose the team or lose the locker room.

Who gives a shit what Phil did 3 years ago in Pennsylvania. Obviously, he hasn’t met expectations at ND. And remember- you see 1% of what goes on. You’re not at practice, not in the meeting rooms, not in the locker room.
Yes I realize we are not in meetings or, practice. But the very small sample we got od PJ he's done ok. He's scored at Michigan on one of his two possessions. All I'm saying is he should get some meanful PT. The editor and all the writers agree with this. So I guess all the IL staff and I will agree to disagree with you.

3.2 yards per carry is extremely pedestrian.

Tony Jones Jr: 5.9 yards per carry
Jahmir Smith: 5.1 yards per carry
Ian Book: 5.0 yards per carry (including sack yardage)

C'bo Flemister: 2.3 yards per carry
Jafar Armstrong: 2.0 yards per carry
Avery Davis: 1.0 yards per carry

At this point, it's obvious who should be carrying the ball. Tony, Jahmir and Ian should by your primary play carriers when they're healthy. The other guys have had far inferior production when on the field.

This.

Ade said hes still discussing it with his family if he will come back next year. That made me nervous. We need him. He'll be a starter

Ade said hes still discussing it with his family if he will come back next year. That made me nervous. We need him. He'll be a starter

If he wants to be an NFL draft pick, he'll come back, start and rack up some stats and put high level play on film.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT