ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting, 5th Years and 2020 Depth Chart

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
Sadly, it looks as if ND is all but done in the 2020 cycle at this point. You might see 1-2 late adds, but at this point scholarships appear to be being held for 5th year candidates. Not saying that's a bad strategy, I just wish they were in on a couple quality DBs, at least one linebacker, or a difference making DE. IMO, the defensive recruiting has now seen a drop off for the 2nd class in a row.

These appear to be the 5th years that you can expect to see back at ND next year...

QB: Ian Book (if he wants to be)
RB: Tony Jones Jr
LT: Liam Eichenberg
RG: Tommy Kraemer
DE: Daelin Hayes
DE: Ade Ogundeji

The following group are guys that could return depending on how they see themselves fitting onto the roster and if Notre Dame gives them the opportunity.

WR: Javon McKinley
S: Alohi Gilman
CB: Shaun Crawford (6th year)

That is a ton of potential 5th / 6th years guys. In some ways it will be really good that Notre Dame is "old and experienced", but from an overall talent perspective you wish some more of these guys were NFL bound early, rather than late.

This is my first look at the 2020 2-deep, without being able to predict transfers and having to make my best guess at 5th years.

QB: Ian Book
2. Brendon Clark

2. Jafar Armstrong

WR: Kevin Austin Jr
2. Javon McKinley

WR: Braden Lenzy
2. Jordon Johnson

Slot: Lawrence Keys
2. Joe Wilkins Jr

TE: Cole Kmet
2. Tommy Tremble or Brock Wright

2. Josh Lugg

LG: Aaron Banks
2. Dillan Gibbons

C: Jarrett Patterson
2. Zeke Correll

2. Dillan Gibbons

RT: Robert Hainsey
2. Josh Lugg

2. Ovie Oghoufo or Isaiah Foskey

DT: Myron Tagavailoa-Amosa
2. Jayson Ademilola

NT: Kurt Hinish
2. Jacob Lacey

2. Justin Ademilola

Rover: Paul Moala
2. Marist Liufau

Buck: Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah
2. Jack Lamb

Mike: Drew White
2. Bo Bauer

CB: Tariq Bracy
2. KJ Wallace

FS: Kyle Hamilton
2. Isaiah Pryor

SS: Houston Griffith
2. Isaiah Pryor

CB: Shaun Crawford (if he returns)
2. Isaiah Rutherford

Captains

Last edited:
Reactions: chaseball
1. Vaughn is now out of eligibility. Hes played well over 4 games this year and hes done.

2. Id put Shayne Simon over Lamb even with injury. Both injured actually

3. Phil over Clark.

4. Hopefully Crawford returns

Also I expect Cbo and Tyree to get playing time at running back.

Another very talented team. 10 plus wins for sure

1. Vaughn is now out of eligibility. Hes played well over 4 games this year and hes done.

2. Id put Shayne Simon over Lamb even with injury. Both injured actually

3. Phil over Clark.

4. Hopefully Crawford returns

1. Vaughn is out. You are correct. Thought he had one more for some reason.

2. I don't know that Simon will be ready. That's a nasty injury. I think Lamb is back on the field first., otherwise Shayne is certainly in the 2-deep, but I actually think it might be over Bauer at Mike in that instance.

3. Phil very well could be gone if Ian returns. How many guys are willing to wait around until their senior year to play? And is he any good if he does that?

4. Agreed 100% on Crawford. CB recruiting has been bad. His return would help a lot.

Agree that it's a 10 win team. And I do agree that both of those guys will get carries if C'bo is back. I would put the pecking order for carries something like this, keeping in mind that I'm fully expecting a transfer.

1. Tony Jones Jr.
2. Jafar Armstrong
3. Jahmir Smith
4. Chris Tyree
5. C'bo Flemister
6. Kyren Williams

2. I don't know that Simon will be ready. That's a nasty injury. I think Lamb is back on the field first., otherwise Shayne is certainly in the 2-deep, but I actually think it might be over Bauer at Mike in that instance.

3. Phil very well could be gone if Ian returns. How many guys are willing to wait around until their senior year to play? And is he any good if he does that?

4. Agreed 100% on Crawford. CB recruiting has been bad. His return would help a lot.
Phil would have to sit out next year if he transfers. Then hed still have the same 2 years to start regardless if he is here or somewhere else. I dont see how that would help him

Phil would have to sit out next year if he transfers. Then hed still have the same 2 years to start regardless if he is here or somewhere else. I dont see how that would help him

Guys (especially quarterbacks) can get immediate eligibility these days by claiming nearly anything. If Phil wanted to transfer for the opportunity to start somewhere next year, he and his family could make it happen.

Maybe I'm wrong and he starts as a SR and 5th year SR before giving way to Tyler Buchner as a sophomore. We'll see.

Sadly, it looks as if ND is all but done in the 2020 cycle at this point. You might see 1-2 late adds, but at this point scholarships appear to be being held for 5th year candidates. Not saying that's a bad strategy, I just wish they were in on a couple quality DBs, at least one linebacker, or a difference making DE. IMO, the defensive recruiting has now seen a drop off for the 2nd class in a row.

These appear to be the 5th years that you can expect to see back at ND next year...

The following group are guys that could return depending on how they see themselves fitting onto the roster and if Notre Dame gives them the opportunity.

That is a ton of potential 5th / 6th years guys. In some ways it will be really good that Notre Dame is "old and experienced", but from an overall talent perspective you wish some more of these guys were NFL bound early, rather than late.

This is my first look at the 2020 2-deep, without being able to predict transfers and having to make my best guess at 5th years.

2. Brendon Clark

2. Jafar Armstrong

2. Javon McKinley

2. Jordon Johnson

2. Joe Wilkins Jr

2. Josh Lugg

2. Dillan Gibbons

2. Zeke Correll

2. Dillan Gibbons

2. Josh Lugg

2. Jayson Ademilola

2. Jacob Lacey

2. Justin Ademilola

2. Marist Liufau

2. Jack Lamb

2. Bo Bauer

2. KJ Wallace

2. Isaiah Pryor

2. Isaiah Pryor

2. Isaiah Rutherford

Captains
I agree with you that Phil will bounce. I guess the coachea have their reasons but personally I'm disappointed he never even got a chance. But I have serious concerns about our ability to develop the position.

Reactions: DublinND and rgc7
I agree with you that Phil will bounce. I guess the coachea have their reasons but personally I'm disappointed he never even got a chance. But I have serious concerns about our ability to develop the position.
Theyve developed an average talent in Book pretty damn well. His record and numbers are better than his ability. Phil has a lot of developing to do. He should stay here and get better. I expect him to stay

Reactions: Pennick4

2. Brendon Clark

2. Jafar Armstrong

2. Javon McKinley

2. Jordon Johnson

2. Joe Wilkins Jr

2. Josh Lugg

2. Dillan Gibbons

2. Zeke Correll

2. Dillan Gibbons

2. Josh Lugg

2. Jayson Ademilola

2. Jacob Lacey

2. Justin Ademilola

2. Marist Liufau

2. Jack Lamb

2. Bo Bauer

2. KJ Wallace

2. Isaiah Pryor

2. Isaiah Pryor

2. Isaiah Rutherford

Captains

Don't see Crawford coming back personally----if he does great but I don't think so.

Grad transfer CB's are a scarce commodity but ND can offer one a quick path to the field.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
jmo
Johnson beats out Lenzy. He is a more complete WR.

2. Brendon Clark

2. Jafar Armstrong

2. Javon McKinley

2. Jordon Johnson

2. Joe Wilkins Jr

2. Josh Lugg

2. Dillan Gibbons

2. Zeke Correll

2. Dillan Gibbons

2. Josh Lugg

2. Jayson Ademilola

2. Jacob Lacey

2. Justin Ademilola

2. Marist Liufau

2. Jack Lamb

2. Bo Bauer

2. KJ Wallace

2. Isaiah Pryor

2. Isaiah Pryor

2. Isaiah Rutherford

Captains
I wish we could get the D recruiting straightened out. The trend continues in the wrong direction. It turns out coach Elston is the only stud recruiter on that side of the ball. Luckily he loves ND. I hope that's enough to keep him here. How do we fix the DB recruiting? I was a Joseph fan boy but I'm beginning to have my doubts

IIO, I was wondering why you picked Clark over Jurkovec and that makes sense

someone has to go to the portal.

Too many QB’s in waiting and all off similar level of abilities.
Best guess is PJ. His duel threat style just is not a style the makes Kelly feel warm and fuzzy! Kelly likes plays run exactly as drawn up. He likes total control with no surprises.

Last edited:
someone has to go to the portal.

Too many QB’s in waiting and all off similar level of abilities.
Best guess a PJ. His duel threat style just is not a style the makes Kelly feel warm and fuzzy! Kelly likes plays run exactly as drawn up. He likes total control with no surprises.

Someone will but IMO it will one of the RB's.

Agree that it's a 10 win team. And I do agree that both of those guys will get carries if C'bo is back. I would put the pecking order for carries something like this, keeping in mind that I'm fully expecting a transfer.

1. Tony Jones Jr.
2. Jafar Armstrong
3. Jahmir Smith
4. Chris Tyree
5. C'bo Flemister
6. Kyren Williams

If Tyree is legit 5* talent that should be too low. Easily the most confusing weakness on this team? Wish they would try to bring in another top tier back this year.

They are a freak injury from back to back years with a practice squad depth chart at the position if something happens to Tyree.

Reactions: DublinND
If Tyree is legit 5* talent that should be too low. Easily the most confusing weakness on this team? Wish they would try to bring in another top tier back this year.

They are a freak injury from back to back years with a practice squad depth chart at the position if something happens to Tyree.

Tyree is a small, scat back. Extremely talented, but a guy I see coming in and getting a few niche touches a per game as a freshman, while the developed guys in front of him carry the load. He has 5 star speed and he's an excellent player there is no doubt that... But between the beatings that RBs take and the time it usually takes for them to acclimate to pass protection, I fully expect him to play sparingly, in a reserve role as a freshman.... Maybe he's the starting kick returner though. That makes complete sense.

But I have serious concerns about our ability to develop the position.

I would usually agree, but we have developed a lightly recruited lightly regarded three star kid into a pretty good starting QB with a 20-3 record. Kelly certainly deserves some criticism for how he has handled the QB position, but you have to give him credit when its due.

Why do we have trouble recruiting quality depth at running back and on defense? After 10 wins, 12 wins and what looks like 10 wins this year. I understand we cant recruit like some schools but it's like the staff ignores some positions certain years

Tyree is a small, scat back. Extremely talented, but a guy I see coming in and getting a few niche touches a per game as a freshman, while the developed guys in front of him carry the load. He has 5 star speed and he's an excellent player there is no doubt that... But between the beatings that RBs take and the time it usually takes for them to acclimate to pass protection, I fully expect him to play sparingly, in a reserve role as a freshman.... Maybe he's the starting kick returner though. That makes complete sense.

Understood however the idea of finding a way to get him a minimum of10 touches on offense a game is not unrealistic and that usage does not indicate 4th on the depth chart reps. If this guy is a 5* tool player you find a way to feature him in your offense right away particularly when the rest of the talent at his position is only borderline.

I know the consensus seems to be Alohi will be gone.. I just don't see it. ND could use him in 2020 and see him getting drafted in the 4-7 round range.

Reactions: Ara64
I know the consensus seems to be Alohi will be gone.. I just don't see it. ND could use him in 2020 and see him getting drafted in the 4-7 round range.

Would be wonderful to have him return as the unquestioned leader of the defense, playing alongside Hamilton, with Pryor and Griffith seeing quality minutes in rotation as their backups.

I'm certainly not going to complain if he does return, but I'm also not going to hold my breathe, waiting to see if it happens.

jmo
Johnson beats out Lenzy. He is a more complete WR.

Way more complete, but two years behind him and ideally, he plays the same boundary WR position as Austin and Mickinley. I think, like Claypool, you'll see him play out of position for at least his first year, in order to get him on the field. If McKinley isn't asked back, expect him to be the #2 "W" behind Austin in the boundary and see maybe 30% of the reps out there while he learns the playbook.

IMO,

It will be one of

WR: Austin
2. McKinley

WR: lenzy
2. Johnson

OR

2. Johnson

WR: Lenzy
2. Wilkins

Last edited:
Understood however the idea of finding a way to get him a minimum of10 touches on offense a game is not unrealistic and that usage does not indicate 4th on the depth chart reps. If this guy is a 5* tool player you find a way to feature him in your offense right away particularly when the rest of the talent at his position is only borderline.

I think 10 touches per game in all facets (including returns) is realistic, but I think pass protection knowledge and experience will give the majority of reps to Jones, Armstrong and Smith, and there are only so many carries to go around in what will be a balanced offense in terms of running / passing under Chip Long.

I could see 5 offensive touches per game designed to get his speed into space, and another 5 as the primary return man.... But anymore than that is probably a stretch in competitive games. The following year he could be in line for 40-50% of the carries depending on who returns, who transfers, etc.

I have serious concerns about your brain. Ian Book is developing into a great QB.
You are the fan who is always saying the backup QB is the best. Phil J. is on the bench for a reason. He will have a chance to beat out Book next year or if he transfers be a backup at Central Florida.

I have serious concerns about your brain. Ian Book is developing into a great QB.
You are the fan who is always saying the backup QB is the best. Phil J. is on the bench for a reason. He will have a chance to beat out Book next year or if he transfers be a backup at Central Florida.
Ian is a decent qb, but if he's sooooo great why do they have him listed as not being drafted in any round of the NFL if he were to declare this year? I'm sure you know better then all the scouts huh. As far as Phil your putting words in my mouth as usual. I never said anything more then Phil should get a chance at more meaningful reps. You have no clue what's happening behind the scenes nor do you have any idea how he will fare anywhere else. Just more delusional babble as usual. Now go bring out another one of your logins to troll me lol.

Ian is a decent qb, but if he's sooooo great why do they have him listed as not being drafted in any round of the NFL if he were to declare this year? I'm sure you know better then all the scouts huh. As far as Phil your putting words in my mouth as usual. I never said anything more then Phil should get a chance at more meaningful reps. You have no clue what's happening behind the scenes nor do you have any idea how he will fare anywhere else. Just more delusional babble as usual. Now go bring out another one of your logins to troll me lol.

Ian isn't ever going to be a great PRO qb you numbskull. But he is taring it up in college. He just had to find his style. And his style is running all over the field making plays. And believe it or not Irishforlife Im just one of the many that thinks your a total dbag. I don't need any other logins.

Reactions: Pennick4

I expect cbo and phil to transfer.

Also the other concerns about joseph seem warranted. It feels like Lyght has been marginalized due to joseph recruiting to a profile vs best available where as lyght goes for the guy that he thinks he can make a player.

Last edited:
Reactions: d1042
I expect cbo and phil to transfer.

Also the other concerns about joseph seem warranted. It feels like Lyght has been marginalized due to joseph recruiting to a profile vs best available where as lyght goes for the guy that he thinks he can make a player.

What makes you think Cbo will transfer?

If PJ comes to ride the bench, what does that say of his competitive juices?
He needs to get on the field! somewhere.

Reactions: rgc7
Way more complete, but two years behind him and ideally, he plays the same boundary WR position as Austin and Mickinley. I think, like Claypool, you'll see him play out of position for at least his first year, in order to get him on the field. If McKinley isn't asked back, expect him to be the #2 "W" behind Austin in the boundary and see maybe 30% of the reps out there while he learns the playbook.

IMO,

It will be one of

2. McKinley

WR: lenzy
2. Johnson

OR

2. Johnson

WR: Lenzy
2. Wilkins
From a health of the program standpoint, i hope Javon isn't asked back. He just is way too slow in the passing game and is our one WR that plays that is not capable of getting separation. He's done very good blocking in the run game though especially Duke game.

Ian isn't ever going to be a great PRO qb you numbskull. But he is taring it up in college. He just had to find his style. And his style is running all over the field making plays. And believe it or not Irishforlife Im just one of the many that thinks your a total dbag. I don't need any other logins.
Then why didn't he make the top twelve list on Heisman? Didn't even get honorable mention? He's a good qb, he has not proven great or elite. Sounds like someobe has has the hots for Book lol. So you agree then that anyone that makes up multiple logins on this board are total loser dbags right? Btw every sees you as the village idiot and they laugh at you.

Last edited:

2. Brendon Clark

2. Jafar Armstrong

2. Javon McKinley

2. Jordon Johnson

2. Joe Wilkins Jr

2. Josh Lugg

2. Dillan Gibbons

2. Zeke Correll

2. Dillan Gibbons

2. Josh Lugg

2. Jayson Ademilola

2. Jacob Lacey

2. Justin Ademilola

2. Marist Liufau

2. Jack Lamb

2. Bo Bauer

2. KJ Wallace

2. Isaiah Pryor

2. Isaiah Pryor

2. Isaiah Rutherford

Captains
i've seen enough of Lugg to feel strongly that he should remain right where he is. I'd make Hainsey the 6th man.

i've seen enough of Lugg to feel strongly that he should remain right where he is. I'd make Hainsey the 6th man.

I'd replace Patterson with the senior before I'd bench him. Paterson gets very little push inside at this stage of his career.

I was wondering that myself, but I think we need to see Lugg play some good DEs, he hasn't really been tested yet.

I'd replace Patterson with the senior before I'd bench him. Paterson gets very little push inside at this stage of his career.
Hainsey isn't known for his push either... but i get your point. We'll obviously (if healthy) have 6 good olinemen next year.

What makes you think Cbo will transfer?
Cbo came in at 5th on the depth chart. He couldnt beat out kyren williams a true frosh. That says something.

He will remain buried behind jones, jafar, and smith next year.

He then has to call contend with smith, tyree, and williams the following year with potential for stud rbs to also pass him.

Why would he stay? He will be hard pressed to make it to 3rd on depth chart in his career if he stays.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT