ADVERTISEMENT

if ND finishes 9-4 (most likely outcome), what letter grade will you give Freeman for the season?

A-

Freeman and Rees had to do a hellavu coaching job with Pyne's limited ability. Also there are a bunch of young guys playing.
Can’t give him that considering we were top 5 preseason with more sr/ gr then I can ever remember. Combined with 2 completely unacceptable L‘s. Season isn’t over but if we beat SC and a big bowl win I’ll give him a B. 5 mos ago we were not a 5 pt dog to SC

10 and 3 with 4 top 25 wins, 2 top 10 wins, and ending the NY6 28 year drought in your first year....with your backup qb, and it being drew pyne at that.

If that is not an A in your first year, you are crazy
There is no A when you fall to Marshall and Stanford. Part of being a head coach is evaluating talent—freeman had plenty of time to find another qb. Kelly was wise enough to seek out a Jack cohen freeman should have done same. And for those that want to put full blame on Rees, Rees reports to Freeman. not an A when you’re preseason #5 and loaded with experience

B.

Recruiting is historically good, but. A few spots have issues specifically dline where Washington started fast but was unable to haul in the top guys even after commits. Safeties coaching has to be called into question as well. Not saying heads need to roll but new focus is needed. Obviously the Tommy Rees question needs to be either answered early (stay or leave) and decisively to end speculation going into spring work.

I think how MF handles the jan-mar window will be a big decider on his first full year as head coach.

On the field, I think he and staff are ascending, but this isn't the offense they wanted to run this year, and there have been some gaps on defense.
We got 2 more good DL in the 24 class and the safety play has been good. We need more talent at the position and this class would address that

if we beat USC, after the start we had, I'll give him an A. It really looked, and I mean really looked sketchy and potentially catastrophic through the Cal game, and of course there have been lapses as with the Stanford game. But some sort of disastrous, 5-7/6-6 or even worse type season, and a complete fall from grace and totally back into butt-of-jokes irrelevance seemed like a very distinct possibility the first few weeks....

I don't know what happened, or what they got 'fixed' or worked out, and normally I roll my eyes at that sort of cliched analysis, but we really did flip a proverbial switch vs UNC, and it was like we were back to normal again. And then to get wins over Clemson and hopefully USC, he gets an A. And for getting Kenny Minchey as well, even though we pretty much backed into him.....

Reactions: notredamerises23
There is no A when you fall to Marshall and Stanford. Part of being a head coach is evaluating talent—freeman had plenty of time to find another qb. Kelly was wise enough to seek out a Jack cohen freeman should have done same. And for those that want to put full blame on Rees, Rees reports to Freeman. not an A when you’re preseason #5 and loaded with experience
There was no one out there that I saw that was any good that we could actually get.

Preseason number 5, post season number 7 if we finish 10 and 3 with a NY6.

Ending the ny6 drought and doing it with Drew Pyne. That's an A

Wrong. And when you lose to Stanford as much as Notre Dame has in the last decade, it certainly feels like a rivalry.
On Monday, Marcus Freeman spoke with the media to finish up Notre Dame’s business with the win over BYU, and to move forward with Saturday night’s game against the Stanford Cardinal.

Freeman didn’t wait to get the question — he called the Stanford game a rivalry right away.

“Going into this week moving forward, it’s a rivalry game.
“It starts with respecting the rivalry. "
What does Marcus Freeman know. He needs to listen to anonymous internet posters more. /smdh

Wrong. And when you lose to Stanford as much as Notre Dame has in the last decade, it certainly feels like a rivalry.
“Feels” is not a rivalry. Everyone thinks they’re a rival with ND - Purdue, Navy, Stanford, Michigan State, Michigan, USC, Pitt, Army, Northwestern, BC, Miami, FSU, GT. Why not just name the entire nation a rival? Might as well add Marshall.

At least BC, Army, Miami, Navy have history.

There is only one true rivalry for ND. USC. Michigan is the one we like to hate and it’s truly an unplayed rivalry as they hate us just as much as we hate them.

If Stanford was a rivalry, ND players would’ve given more than 10% effort. It “feels” like a rivalry to you, not the players.

Last edited:
I just think ND is the better football team.. I think Clemson is better than USC... I think USC's offensive line is highly overrated.. ND's D is going to bring pressure all day long.. and they have the skill players to get at Caleb Williams! 2nd half adjustments WILL BE CRUCIAL!!!!!!

Last edited:
I just think ND is the better football team.. I think Clemson is better than USC... I think USC's offensive line is highly overrated.. ND's D is going to put pressure all day long.. and they have the skill players to get at Caleb Williams! 2nd half adjustments WILL BE CRUCIAL!!!!!!
USC is better offensively. Clemson better defensively. It’ll boil down to styles. We need to score early and control the clock. Run the ball. No first down passes and Rees getting cute. No field goals. Pound the rock.

If Stanford was a rivalry, ND players would’ve given more than 10% effort. It “feels” like a rivalry to you, not the players.
It's not a rivalry in your head. Once Coach Freeman reads your posts on football strategy and ND rivalry he'll be all straightened out. In the meantime, make sure you take your meds.

"Freeman didn’t wait to get the question — he called the Stanford game a rivalry right away."
“It starts with respecting the rivalry. "

It's not a rivalry in your head. Once Coach Freeman reads your posts on football strategy and ND rivalry he'll be all straightened out. In the meantime, make sure you take your meds.

"Freeman didn’t wait to get the question — he called the Stanford game a rivalry right away."
Ive heard coaches say 1 and 2 win teams were amazing. Especially Holtz. Using what a coach says is mostly meaningless

• Haha
Reactions: john0gaunt
I just think ND is the better football team.. I think Clemson is better than USC... I think USC's offensive line is highly overrated.. ND's D is going to bring pressure all day long.. and they have the skill players to get at Caleb Williams! 2nd half adjustments WILL BE CRUCIAL!!!!!!
Sc offense is light years better than Clemsons

“Feels” is not a rivalry. Everyone thinks they’re a rival with ND - Purdue, Navy, Stanford, Michigan State, Michigan, USC, Pitt, Army, Northwestern, BC, Miami, FSU, GT. Why not just name the entire nation a rival? Might as well add Marshall.

At least BC, Army, Miami, Navy have history.

There is only one true rivalry for ND. USC. Michigan is the one we like to hate and it’s truly an unplayed rivalry as they hate us just as much as we hate them.

Maybe that explains why Brian Kelly was 5-6 against David Shaw, and Marcus Freeman is 0-1.

Dude, put down the wine glass.

I would have loved you as a professor grading my essays.
Remember when the board detectives were able to find what your students had to say about you and your teaching skills? Stop trolling or we're gonna go down memory lane.
As for Freeman grades this year
Representive of ND A+
Big time win A+
Team improvement from start of season to end A+
Recruiting A+
Bad losses F

Remember when the board detectives were able to find what your students had to say about you and your teaching skills? Stop trolling or we're gonna go down memory lane.
As for Freeman grades this year
Representive of ND A+
Big time win A+
Team improvement from start of season to end A+
Recruiting A+
Bad losses F
We had our worst offensive half in the history of nd football 2 weeks ago and a terrible defensive game, hard to say in season improvement is A+

With this board, todays game is the only one that matters. If ND gets smoked by SC and tumbles out of the top 20, it will be hard to grade them any higher than a C and depending on the severity of the loss potentially F.

If this team dominates SC as they did NC and Clemson, but loses a bowl game (OP 9-4), then it’s a B+. No chance for an A with the incomprehensible bad losses and failure to finish the bowl. In some ways, big wins make the unmentionable losses worse too

Reactions: Rionegro
ND started out 0-2, and is a Pac12 official overturning of an actual fumble away from following that start with 9 straight wins.

Recruiting is off the charts.

ND football is fun again.

solid A

Last edited:
There was no one out there that I saw that was any good that we could actually get.

Preseason number 5, post season number 7 if we finish 10 and 3 with a NY6.

Ending the ny6 drought and doing it with Drew Pyne. That's an A
And now Golson? A- no doubt. Btw, the guy you bash endlessly, ( pyne), was not the reason we lost yesterday.

B grade for the season.

I expect a few key players played their last game at USC so the bowl game is inconsequential with regards to a final grade.

Well I was going to give him an 'A' if we beat USC, and we didn't, so.....

But he still gets a 'B'. And this ended up being a perfectly okay year, we averted the imminent disaster of the first three weeks, which absolutely initially looked like the bottom could fall out of the program, and that didn't happen thank goodness. And our defense was maybe the best it's been, even over the Clark Lea years. And the offense has been spotty, occasionally excellent, and then back being to unreliable. And so there's a big decision to be made with Tommy Rees, although maybe there isn't and he's considered untouchable.

So still a pretty good rookie year for MF all in all, and a gets a solid 'B'.....

Reactions: TheSodFather
Win the bowl game, B

Lose the bowl game, C
Depends who bowl game opponent is. look we all like Marcus he seems like a nice guy, but it’s hard to overlook 2 horrendous defeats at home and the tools he had in his box——4 proj 1st rd draft picks , very experienced lines, sr/gr all over the field, manageable schedule with 8 home games. and if pyne wasn’t the guy get someone else. Would Lincoln Riley ask tommy if we were all set in the qb room and have settled on pyne/Buchner? I doubt it. B- /c + and mostly because he’s recruited really well.

Depends who bowl game opponent is. look we all like Marcus he seems like a nice guy, but it’s hard to overlook 2 horrendous defeats at home and the tools he had in his box——4 proj 1st rd draft picks , very experienced lines, sr/gr all over the field, manageable schedule with 8 home games. and if pyne wasn’t the guy get someone else. Would Lincoln Riley ask tommy if we were all set in the qb room and have settled on pyne/Buchner? I doubt it. B- /c + and mostly because he’s recruited really well.
9 wins with Drew Pyne will be a B. Thats a good start. Tough schedule, bad QB

We dont have 4 1st rd picks in this draft. 2 at most

4 first round draft picks?

Who are they? I would love to know.

How can you say this before knowing who sits out and who Notre Dame plays?

If Notre Dame has 3-4 key players sit, that's not on Freeman.
We arent going to be playing some top team now. If we have guys sit out, we should still win. Plus other teams have his sit out. We need to win this game and build momentum going into next year

9 wins with Drew Pyne will be a B. Thats a good start. Tough schedule, bad QB

We dont have 4 1st rd picks in this draft. 2 at most
SOS is 31, ( not that tough for a preseason top 5 team),maybe only 2 1st rounders NOW. Why in your mind is freeman relieved of all responsibility in identifying a quality qb? If Pyne wasn’t the guy , ( freeman watched him for a yr!), then why the fk didn’t he find another one?

SOS is 31, ( not that tough for a preseason top 5 team),maybe only 2 1st rounders NOW. Why in your mind is freeman relieved of all responsibility in identifying a quality qb? If Pyne wasn’t the guy , ( freeman watched him for a yr!), then why the fk didn’t he find another one?
Not very easy to get a transfer in here. And he had to evaluate the roster in spring. Not much left after that.

Plus he and the staff thought Buchner was the guy. He got hurt so he was playing a backup.

31 was before usc

I’d say oline improved and Morrison did as well, but as a whole team not much improvement

Especially dline, lbs, qb, wrs
Dude, we get it.

Notre Dame verbaled another well thought of recruit today, kid flipped from Wisconsin. Is recruiting still "crashing..?"

I’d say oline improved and Morrison did as well, but as a whole team not much improvement

Especially dline, lbs, qb, wrs
Really? After the first 3 games we didnt improve. We lost to Marshall and OSU, then barely beat a bad Cal team. But we didnt improve throughout the year. Okay.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT