ADVERTISEMENT

if ND finishes 9-4 (most likely outcome), what letter grade will you give Freeman for the season?

Is the 9th Win at USC? If so, B+.

Losing at home to Marshall and Stanford should not result in an A or A- grade.

Reactions: KYExtemper
B+ if they beat USC, B- if they lose and I'm ok with either cause no one should have this bad of a QB situation handed to them in their first year. If I blame him for 1 thing it's that he trusted TR with his assertion of the QB room, that's on him...the players he inherited, that's on BK/TR!! In the end I am in complete support of MF, now keep this class together and win a NC in the next 3 years!

Reactions: NDinNJ
B+ if they beat SC

C. If they lose.

You simply cannot lose at home to Marshall and Stanford. The B+ really represents saving what could have been a lost season. That of depends on if they can win Saturday.

8-4 with loss at usc C, with win B…. We lost to two really really really bad teams

This is not taking into account the staff doing well recruiting, 100% about on field performance

I said before the season we should go 11-1 with great coaching, 10-2 with good coaching, 9-3 would be a push, 8-4 would be a bad season, that still stands

• Haha
Reactions: Rionegro and NDinNJ
This is an impossible hypothetical. No clue who we’re playing in the bowl game. Too many unknowns to grade the season yet.

C

Beat SC and win bowl game B+.

Keep Bowen and the class together, and beat SC and bowl win A-
Beat USC it's a wrap at B+.

You can't judge Freeman on a bowl game when there is likely to be key players sitting for the NFL Draft.

8-4 with loss at usc C, with win B…. We lost to two really really really bad teams

This is not taking into account the staff doing well recruiting, 100% about on field performance

I said before the season we should go 11-1 with great coaching, 10-2 with good coaching, 9-3 would be a push, 8-4 would be a bad season, that still stands
You didnt realize we'd have drew pyne as our qb at the time and probably didnt think we'd have played 3 top 10 teams

Dude, put down the wine glass.

I would have loved you as a professor grading my essays.
10 and 3 with 4 top 25 wins, 2 top 10 wins, and ending the NY6 28 year drought in your first year....with your backup qb, and it being drew pyne at that.

If that is not an A in your first year, you are crazy

10 and 3 with 4 top 25 wins, 2 top 10 wins, and ending the NY6 28 year drought in your first year....with your backup qb, and it being drew pyne at that.

For an A grade, I have "higher expectations..." for Marcus Freeman that rises above losing to Marshall and Stanford at home.

My God, what grade does MF get if they go 12-1?

For an A grade, I have "higher expectations..." for Marcus Freeman that rises above losing to Marshall and Stanford at home.

This year, an A+

Do you realize that Drew Pyne is our starting QB? Do you understand that he probably would not start on any top 25 team?

Do you know how big of a stain that 28 year ny6 drought is to our program?

Winning a NY6 game alone in a season gets you a B+ at least with our recent history. Add 4 top 25 wins, 2 top 10 wins and knocking your biggest rival out of the Playoff, thats a definite A in year 1

No doubt

Higher expectations like doing in year 1 what Kelly, Weis, Ty, Davie couldn't do in 28 years

Yes, higher expectations

This year, an A+

Do you realize that Drew Pyne is our starting QB? Do you understand that he probably would not start on any top 25 team?

Winning a NY6 game alone in a season gets you a B+ at least with our recent history. Add 4 top 25 wins, 2 top 10 wins and knocking your biggest rival out of the Playoff, thats a definite A in year 1

No doubt
Dude, I stand by what I said. If losing to Marshall and Stanford at home is ignored by you when evaluating a Head Coach, and if 3 losses that includes two horrible home losses still leads you to grade MF an A for a 10-3 season, you be you.

Dude, I stand by what I said. If losing to Marshall and Stanford at home is ignored by you when evaluating a Head Coach, and if 3 losses that includes two horrible home losses still leads you to grade MF an A for a 10-3 season, you be you.
I will. And I'll be ecstatic when we end our 28 year drought.

I pray it happens this year

This year, an A+

No doubt
Notre Dame should not lose to Marshall and Stanford at home with you playing QB.

Notre Dame should not lose to Marshall and Stanford at home with you playing QB.
I evaluate the whole season. Not just 2 games.

And not many teams or coaches out there in the country can win 10 games with Drew Pyne as the starting qb. Let alone beating 2 top 10 teams, and maybe 4 top 20 teams. Maybe even 3 top 15 teams if we win a NY6

Nah, not many at all

If we had a solid to good qb and went 10 and 3, I could see your point. 10 wins with a Caleb Williams, yeah this season would be a disappointment

But 10 wins with Drew Pyne and beat 3 top 15 teams, that's a hell of an accomplishment and kudos to the staff and players

We havent done that yet, this is all hypothetical

Seriously? You do realize they played the season with a 5'9" backup QB, that most likely won't start another game at ND once the season ends. The OL was bad the first quarter of the season, most likely due to the OL coaching change and adjusting to HH's coaching philosophy and buying into it. TR having to figure out offensive plans to fit the offense's strength's 9-3 and a bowl win to get to 10 wins is a great year, and 8-4 is a good year for a 1st year head coach considering the adversity this team went through.

You didnt realize we'd have drew pyne as our qb at the time and probably didnt think we'd have played 3 top 10 teams
Yes but drew pyne or not shouldn’t have lost to Marshall or Stanford with solid coaching…. Pyne had minimal to do with Marshall

3 top 10 teams was a clear possibility with osu and Clemson obviously and usc having a good shot

Like I said, 9-3 with 2 huge wins is better than 9-3 with 2 early bad losses

If ND beats USC tomorrow, nobody gives a damn about Marshall anymore. That would be two wins over top 5 teams in the same season. That would be bonkers and officially cement Marshall a fluke due to early new coaching woes. Everyone will say we’re a new team and growing into a tremendous program and that Freeman is a G. It will reverberate into the off-season and help immensely for the 2024 class and holding onto the 2023 kids that might be on the fence. Lose, or worse, lose badly, and it’s a bad look to go 8-4 with a team as talented as ours, especially considering the job Riley and BK have done in 1 year. They both turned around bad programs. After Stanford, it appeared Freeman was destroying a relevant program. Things turned around with Clemson. A loss to SC would be a depressing end to a mostly disappointing season. Just beat SC. This game is huge for the program and as a testament to the entire season. If we win this game, people will be forced to talk about Freeman in the same sentence as Dabo and Riley. They will also be able to point at BK and say he never won big games like Freeman.

On a slightly different note, If ND wins and Michigan loses, particularly if Michigan loses by more than 11, ND should (but likely won’t be) be ranked ahead of them in a realistic ranking based on who’s who right now. The NFL gets it right in that sense. It rewards growth. Go Buckeyes.

Last edited:
Finish 9-4 (or 10-3) with a solid bowl win, I would go for a solid B for the season. Yes, the losses to Marshall and Stanford were ugly, but the wins against Clemson, NC, Syracuse, BYU were really solid wins. This team (players and staff) could have tanked it after the 0-2 start, but, give them credit for finding their way, the players for staying with it, and the staff for not giving up either. Losing the starting QB, and really not having depth at the position, will give credit to Freeman, Rees and staff for getting Pyne to play within his means (and we all know, his ability is limited -- but love his attitude).

Last edited:
Finish 9-4 (or 10-3) with a solid bowl win, I would go for a solid B for the season. Yes, the losses to Marshall and Stanford were ugly, but the wins against Clemson, NC, Syracuse, BYU were really solid wins. This team (players and staff) could have tanked it after the 0-2 start, but, give them credit for finding their way, the players for staying with it, and the staff for not giving up either. Losing the starting QB, and really not having depth at the position, will give credit to Freeman, Rees and staff for getting to play within his means (and we all know, his ability is limited -- but love his attitude).
If Freeman beats USC and wins a big bowl game and finishes 10-3 it’s more than a B. It would show tremendous growth.

Reactions: Kelso86
B.

Recruiting is historically good, but. A few spots have issues specifically dline where Washington started fast but was unable to haul in the top guys even after commits. Safeties coaching has to be called into question as well. Not saying heads need to roll but new focus is needed. Obviously the Tommy Rees question needs to be either answered early (stay or leave) and decisively to end speculation going into spring work.

I think how MF handles the jan-mar window will be a big decider on his first full year as head coach.

On the field, I think he and staff are ascending, but this isn't the offense they wanted to run this year, and there have been some gaps on defense.

Freeman's job 1 is to beat usc. He cannot have an A season with a loss to them. Further, he needs to beat all his rivals. Navy, Stanford, and usc. Losing to one is like failing a midterm. He has failed with Stanford so if he beats usc, he has 2-1 vs rivals, and with all his extra curricula activity beating the ranked teams, he gets a B+. If he loses his bowl game, B-.

Reactions: Rionegro
Freeman's job 1 is to beat usc. He cannot have an A season with a loss to them. Further, he needs to beat all his rivals. Navy, Stanford, and usc. Losing to one is like failing a midterm. He has failed with Stanford so if he beats usc, he has 2-1 vs rivals, and with all his extra curricula activity beating the ranked teams, he gets a B+. If he loses his bowl game, B-.
Stanford is not a rival.

Stanford is not a rival.
🤣🤣🤣🤣 Whatever you say...

The Notre Dame–Stanford football rivalry is an American college football rivalry between the Notre Dame Fighting Irish football team of the University of Notre Dame and Stanford Cardinal football team of Stanford University. As of 2022, the Notre Dame Fighting Irish and Stanford Cardinal have met 36 times, beginning in 1925 (though the modern series began in 1988).[2] The Notre Dame–Stanford game has been played annually since 1997, with the teams meeting at Notre Dame Stadium earlier in the season (late September to mid-October) in even-numbered years, and at Stanford Stadium on the weekend following Thanksgiving in odd-numbered years since 1999. The game typically alternates positions in Notre Dame's schedule with its other Pac-12 opponent, USC.

The Legends Trophy is awarded to the winner of the annual Notre Dame–Stanford football game, and currently resides with Stanford.​

🤣🤣🤣🤣 Whatever you say...

The Notre Dame–Stanford football rivalry is an American college football rivalry between the Notre Dame Fighting Irish football team of the University of Notre Dame and Stanford Cardinal football team of Stanford University. As of 2022, the Notre Dame Fighting Irish and Stanford Cardinal have met 36 times, beginning in 1925 (though the modern series began in 1988).[2] The Notre Dame–Stanford game has been played annually since 1997, with the teams meeting at Notre Dame Stadium earlier in the season (late September to mid-October) in even-numbered years, and at Stanford Stadium on the weekend following Thanksgiving in odd-numbered years since 1999. The game typically alternates positions in Notre Dame's schedule with its other Pac-12 opponent, USC.

The Legends Trophy is awarded to the winner of the annual Notre Dame–Stanford football game, and currently resides with Stanford.​

Wikipedia is not a source

Reactions: ivan brunetti

The losses to Marshall and Stanford, 3 TD underdogs can’t be swept under the carpet.

Let’s let the season play out then decide !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT