ADVERTISEMENT

How satisfied are you with the job Brian Kelly is doing?

Grade Brian Kelly's performance 10 years in:

• A

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • B

Votes: 44 64.7%
  • C

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • D

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • F

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
The image below is a perfect summary of Brian Kelly's job 10 years in.

The blue line represents Notre Dame's final F/P+ ranking, the orange line represents NDs final recruiting ranking.

Some notes from the graph:
  • ND has finished in the top 10 in final F/P+ ranking three of the last 7 years (2012, 2015, 2018)
  • NDs recruiting class has been in the 10-15th range every year since 2013
  • In 2013, 2014, and 2016 NDs final F/P+ ranking was in the high 20s/early 30s
  • ND finished in the top 5 in recruiting once (in 2012 at #5 exactly).
Just curious what fans think of the job Brian Kelly is doing.

XKc2Tus.jpg

Last edited:
In my opinion, a head coach at Notre Dame should be at the VERY LEAST in the single digits for both of those categories (recruiting and final f/p+ ranking on average) and any line graph that extends 10 years long should have all data/indicators trending upwards (in this case, the blue line has been trending upwards since 2016 which is a positive sign).

Reactions: rgc7
In my opinion, a head coach at Notre Dame should be at the VERY LEAST in the single digits for both of those categories (recruiting and final f/p+ ranking on average) and any line graph that extends 10 years long should have all data/indicators trending upwards (in this case, the blue line has been trending upwards since 2016 which is a positive sign).
I think this is fair. I think ND should be in the top 10 in both metrics, but realistically between 8-10 in today’s college football. I gave BK a “B” grade. While he has done much better the last 2 seasons and the program is very healthy, his first 8 seasons have been very up and down. While he is not a top notch coach, he is just below the elite coaches, imo....somewhere in the 6-10 range.

I think one item that also needs to be included is his ability to continually replace assistant coaches with a high level of success.... excluding BVG. Man just think if we had had a defense the last two years of Kizer....

If only BK was an elite recruiter, i think he would be in the same tier as the best coaches in college football. I think he develops talent as good as anybody and does exceptionally well getting consistent production out of the QB position.

These "if only's" are really big though and is the difference between being at the very top and being just merely above average.

Last edited:
Reactions: spenna
I am satisfied with BK but not too keen on the stadium concession "food" they have. Can you please start a new poll on that subject? Jack is on this board everyday and maybe negative poll numbers about the food will get him to move fast on bringing in a Chick-fil-A, Home Run Inn pizza, real grilled Dogs and Polish with all the stomach cramping toppings any one person can take.

I am satisfied with BK but not too keen on the stadium concession "food" they have. Can you please start a new poll on that subject? Jack is on this board everyday and maybe negative poll numbers about the food will get him to move fast on bringing in a Chic Filet, Home Run Inn pizza, real grilled Dogs and Polish with all the stomach cramping toppings any one person can take.

Take inspiration from this poll and start your own .. you should throw alcohol shits in the mix as well.

Remember Apocolypse Now? ‘the horror”; some universities are willing to go the extreme route, the whatever it takes route. Not all will go-that route.

He has had to 12-0 regular seasons, played for two national titles, won Coach of the Year twice at ND, despite having academic & other restrictions...and you give him a B-?

I think people are going to be in for a rude awakening when he leaves. So many other fan bases wish they had him. Whatever.

If only BK was an elite recruiter, i think he would be in the same tier as the best coaches in college football. I think he develops talent as good as anybody and does exceptionally well getting consistent production out of the QB position.

These "if only's" are really big though and is the difference between being at the very top and being just merely above average.
He develops talent as good as anyone?

Not even close.

Consistent production out of the QB spot?

You must be thinking of Chip Kelly.

Our Kelly has displayed a roller coaster ride with the QB position. Good year, weird year. Good year weird year.

Will Book put back to back good years together?

The trend says no. We'll see.

The talent develop part...I vehemently disagree.

Most of these high picks had the high draft pick measurables. Period.

Look at the back ups when called upon in games. The starting 11 is ready to play but the next 11 right behind them are nowhere close to being ready.

I'm not talking about the ones who get some playing time throughout. It's the ones who don't get their number called all year until bam..they have to come in.

They are absolutely not even close to being ready. Fundamentals lack massively etc.

I have him a C.

Better than a D or F but not even close to a B or A grade.

If we can stop being embarrassed in that big end of year game I'd consider giving a B...but that requires a month of good preparation. Some new wrinkles to get an edge and keep an edge.

We've yet to see any of the above in the three major bowl games we played in.

If our goal is the NC and thats what BK claims to want...it will never happen treating those games like any other.

He has had to 12-0 regular seasons, played for two national titles, won Coach of the Year twice at ND, despite having academic & other restrictions...and you give him a B-?

I think people are going to be in for a rude awakening when he leaves. So many other fan bases wish they had him. Whatever.
I'll do the gift wrapping for the other fans.

He develops talent as good as anyone?

Not even close.

Consistent production out of the QB spot?

You must be thinking of Chip Kelly.

Our Kelly has displayed a roller coaster ride with the QB position. Good year, weird year. Good year weird year.

Will Book put back to back good years together?

The trend says no. We'll see.

The talent develop part...I vehemently disagree.

Most of these high picks had the high draft pick measurables. Period.

Look at the back ups when called upon in games. The starting 11 is ready to play but the next 11 right behind them are nowhere close to being ready.

I'm not talking about the ones who get some playing time throughout. It's the ones who don't get their number called all year until bam..they have to come in.

They are absolutely not even close to being ready. Fundamentals lack massively etc.

I have him a C.

Better than a D or F but not even close to a B or A grade.

If we can stop being embarrassed in that big end of year game I'd consider giving a B...but that requires a month of good preparation. Some new wrinkles to get an edge and keep an edge.

We've yet to see any of the above in the three major bowl games we played in.

If our goal is the NC and thats what BK claims to want...it will never happen treating those games like any other.

He has fixed himself.
He has fixed his staff.
He beats the teams he is supposed to beat.
He loses to better teams.

Imagine him at USC or Georgia (the perennial two five recruiting juggernaut and end of the year underachiever)? He'd kill at those schools. We are very lucky to have him. One of the best five coaches in college football dealing with all kinds of limitations in recruiting.

Reactions: NDAFArly
Imagine him at USC or Georgia (the perennial two five recruiting juggernaut and end of the year underachiever)? He'd kill at those schools. We are very lucky to have him. One of the best five coaches in college football dealing with all kinds of limitations in recruiting.
Here we go again. How the hell do you know how well he'd do there. You don't.

You act like Saban or Kirby sit around and play Xbox all day and never have to even try.

USC just has all these amazing players begging to play there.

BK is a decent recruiter.
Lousy big game coach.
Kills all good QB momentum.

Yep.
If you discuss college football with other teams’ fans or read their comments it’s actualky pretty funny how many will make the comment that they don’t like BK, but wish their coach was as good. During games you will see the comment “BK is embarrassing (fill in their teams’ coach name) today.” And a few teams who have better recruiting classes that BK beats comment about how good their team would be with him. I feel strongly that ND will beat USC at home this coming year. That would put BK 7-3 against a team that has a top 5 recruiting average over that span.
He is 2-0 vs LSU. A team that recruits. I think the classes he is bringing in now (especially on Defense) will really show moving forward. ND averages 11-2 the last two seasons. ND has a few brutal years of schedules coming up, but I bet they still average 10+ wins a season. I wouldn’t be surprised if their 5 year average from 2017-2021 is 11-2. That’s pretty darn good with ND’s SOS.

Some of these arguments get old. Kelly has been really good. I would give him a B+ over his tenure.

I hate to break it to you negative Nancy's but to the vast majority of elite recruits ND is just another school and getting in as an athlete is not an option for most so don't compare them to football factories. And yes he would be successful at any school he goes to you know why because he already done it.

Played for ONE title; made playoffs twice (still great). Had some player issues. .638 win percentage.

A grade of B is fair.

Reactions: NIN Irish

Yep.
If you discuss college football with other teams’ fans or read their comments it’s actualky pretty funny how many will make the comment that they don’t like BK, but wish their coach was as good. During games you will see the comment “BK is embarrassing (fill in their teams’ coach name) today.” And a few teams who have better recruiting classes that BK beats comment about how good their team would be with him. I feel strongly that ND will beat USC at home this coming year. That would put BK 7-3 against a team that has a top 5 recruiting average over that span.
He is 2-0 vs LSU. A team that recruits. I think the classes he is bringing in now (especially on Defense) will really show moving forward. ND averages 11-2 the last two seasons. ND has a few brutal years of schedules coming up, but I bet they still average 10+ wins a season. I wouldn’t be surprised if their 5 year average from 2017-2021 is 11-2. That’s pretty darn good with ND’s SOS.

agree with most of the thread but draw the line at other fan bases. I have never heard one compliment Brian Kelly specifically and I read several foreign boards.

More to the point, we've heard zero programs trying to hire him away in 10 years.

Reactions: SIhoosier26

Um yes... you cannot get an A at Notre Dame without winning a national championship. He has not won a major bowl even and has a 4-8 season. Also the fact that his teams generally get worse in November is striking. He held a god awful 0-5 record for the regular season finale for a 5 year span.

0 major bowl wins, too many mediocre seasons, and a 4-8 season. I think B- is more than fair, and that’s a low B- at that.

Just because I got a 66, a 58, and a 62 on my last 3 tests doesn’t mean an 85 is all the sudden an A+

I'm surprised there are more As than Cs.

In 9 seasons Brian Kelly hasn't had a top 5 team once. Not one time. I think this shows that fans are blaming the administration more than BK for lack of upside/elite football production.

Reactions: NIN Irish
The image below is a perfect summary of Brian Kelly's job 10 years in.

The blue line represents Notre Dame's final F/P+ ranking, the orange line represents NDs final recruiting ranking.

Some notes from the graph:
  • ND has finished in the top 10 in final F/P+ ranking three of the last 7 years (2012, 2015, 2018)
  • NDs recruiting class has been in the 10-15th range every year since 2013
  • In 2013, 2014, and 2016 NDs final F/P+ ranking was in the high 20s/early 30s
  • ND finished in the top 5 in recruiting once (in 2012 at #5 exactly).
Just curious what fans think of the job Brian Kelly is doing.

XKc2Tus.jpg
this just in......horse still dead.

again, the continual total disregard for the administrative policies in place that will continue to handicap recruiting efforts for Notre Dame football. "elite" recruiters as you refer to them have no interest in being at Notre Dame under such policies. not sure why you never mention that.

Last edited:
Here we go again. How the hell do you know how well he'd do there. You don't.

You act like Saban or Kirby sit around and play Xbox all day and never have to even try.

USC just has all these amazing players begging to play there.

BK is a decent recruiter.
Lousy big game coach.
Kills all good QB momentum.
what has kirby achieved to be mentioned in the same discussion with coach ?

no but how many ways can posters come up with to say the same damn thing over and over and over.......
You should be thankful. Seriously.

The acceptance of mediocre football hasn't set in with all fans.

If some people are still holding out hope then they still have the passion and spirit expecting excellence. It can't happen at once, it can't happen immediately...the fact they refuse to accept average football should be wonderful to you that not all fans have become fair weather.

The fact remains...
you want fans that offer up excuses ??
Or the fan expecting results. ???

Results for me thank you very much.

Um yes... you cannot get an A at Notre Dame without winning a national championship. He has not won a major bowl even and has a 4-8 season. Also the fact that his teams generally get worse in November is striking. He held a god awful 0-5 record for the regular season finale for a 5 year span.

0 major bowl wins, too many mediocre seasons, and a 4-8 season. I think B- is more than fair, and that’s a low B- at that.

Just because I got a 66, a 58, and a 62 on my last 3 tests doesn’t mean an 85 is all the sudden an A+
kelly has had one "grade" in the failing category (2016) . are you calling the 2018 season an 85 ? if so thats absurd. he's not an elite coach by any stretch. easily top 15 though.

Reactions: tbonesays
You should be thankful. Seriously.

The acceptance of mediocre football hasn't set in with all fans.

If some people are still holding out hope then they still have the passion and spirit expecting excellence. It can't happen at once, it can't happen immediately...the fact they refuse to accept average football should be wonderful to you that not all fans have become fair weather.

The fact dime gdvd
but they clearly have accepted it. they are all still here. beating the horse a thousand times will not change the reality. what choice does a fan have ? they have two. continue to support their team and hope for the best or move on. anyone that considers the 2018 season as "mediocrity" is clueless and will never be satisfied sans a championship. will ND win another one ? no one knows. i'll keep supporting them though and hope for the best. 2018 was a big step towards that. you can't win it if you aren't playing for it. those who would have preferred ND win a consolation game as opposed to losing to Clemson are the ones accepting average play. i'm quite excited about the 2019 season and expect another year of 10 plus wins and a fair shot at the playoff.

what has kirby achieved to be mentioned in the same discussion with coach ?
Well considering I quoted a poster saying USC and UGA are recruiting juggernauts and just how amazing BK would do there like it's automatic or some shit...i threw Saban in there too for good measure.

Thanks EW for stating what I thought from day one of this thread. Why the continuous chatter over a matter none of us can change? On top of that, why get angry over another fan's post? It's going to be a long off season. I gave the Coach an A for effort and drastically improving the program over his tenure here at ND.

Reactions: Pennick4
but they clearly have accepted it. they are all still here. beating the horse a thousand times will not change the reality.
Then WTF is anyone doing here including you?
If you're not offering up opinion then you are spitting acid at anyone who does differing from yours....which ultimately is still offering up opinion.

No matter what anyone says here about anything matters what? Changes what? It's a sounding board no matter the direction.

Repeatedly posting his short comings is beating a dead horse ... Offering up the same excuses for failure or mediocrity is beating a different horse. It's dead too.

I think BK ultimately holds this team back. You celebrate or excuse him.
In the end I don't care if you love the guy or not. Tell it a million times over. You are free too. Remember the sounding board thing.

Just as the critics are free to refuse accepting the current embarrassing finishes to good seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT