ADVERTISEMENT

Top ND Football Moments in the 21st Century

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
Now that we are down to the last several weeks of the 2nd decade of the 21st century looking back on the last 20 years what were your favorite moments as a fan? Here are mine.

Nebraska(1) over ND(23) 2000
This game was played early in the year where the off-season hype of Nebraska/Eric Crouch was still fresh and Nebraska was the AP Poll #1 team in the country. The game was tense, Notre Dame holding Nebraska's offense in check, but there was this feeling that Eric Crouch would break free at any moment (spoiler he did). This game ranks up there as one of the best ever in the last 20 years just given how intense it was from drive to drive and topping out in overtime.

ND(6) over FSU(11) 2002
Notre Dame was undefeated at the time and FSU was a huge favorite. If this game was played 1,000 times, FSU wins 999 times. But that day the luck of the Irish catapulted ND into the national championship discussion with only 4 games left on the schedule.

Charlie Weis hired December 13 2004 https://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=1943710
Charlie Weis was constantly swirling around the head-coaching rumor mill in both the college and pro ranks at the time. Having coached positions and offenses under Bill Parcells and Bill Bellichick, he was credited with the development of Tom Brady, Curtis Martin, Ben Coates, and Terry Glenn. He came to Notre Dame with a ton of cache as a QB and offensive guru similar to what you hear said about guys like Lincoln Riley or Kliff Kingsbury. The fact that he was a Notre Dame alum only added to the hype of this hire, and as a fan really made you want to get behind the guy.

USC(1) over ND(9) 2005
This game is still probably fresh on many's minds almost like it happened yesterday. I envy anybody who was actually able to be at this game live as it has a reputation for one of the best stadium atmospheres at Notre Dame maybe ever. That last USC drive starts at the USC 15 yard line with 1 minute and 34 seconds and to this day probably one of the most tense drives I ever witnessed as a fan.

Manti Te'o commits to Notre Dame National Signing Day February 6 2009
The hype of Manti's commitment was like nothing before or after it since. I don't know if it was because it was a heated battle for his commitment vs a big rival (USC). Or if it was the sick 9 minute high school highlight video he released with hundreds of thousands of views. Or if it was the fact that ND desperately needed a savior on defense after struggling on that side of the ball during much of the Weis era. But ND was in a massive dogfight for his commitment, with stories of Brian Polian flying 9 hours to hawaii weekly to be at every one of Manti's games. Te'o was the #4 composite player in the country overall and was being hyped for his maturity/character almost as much for his exclusivity as a football prospect. His recruitment lasted almost 2 years with ND fans posting any info and tidbits they could possibly find in this 266 page mega-thread over at Irish Envy.

All of this anticipation lead to the glorious three minutes in this video on National Signing Day 2009. And the fact that that commitment ultimately lead to one of the best seasons in the 21st century at Notre Dame (2012) I'd say the anticipation of that moment and proceeding jubilation was worth every second.

Brian Kelly hired December 10 2009
Brian Kelly, an irish catholic from Boston, was tied to Notre Dame during the entire 2009 season. When Weis was finally fired, and Kelly was hired in his place, the move surprised nobody.

He was one of the coaches on the forefront of the no huddle hurry up offense and had the reputation as an offensive innovator and a program builder having maximized the potential of the three previous programs he coached. At the time, fans were equally excited about the possibility of him bringing over some of his current and old staff who had big time reputations: Chuck Martin, Jeff Quinn, and Paul Longo.

ND(7) over Stanford(17) 2012
Stanford during the late Weis/early Brian Kelly era, having dominated the rivalry in 3 of the past 4 games, was a constant reminder on the schedule of just how far away NDs fronts were.

When this game came around in 2012 everybody was looking to see just how good NDs front 7 was, which started to make a reputation for itself as one of the best in college football early in the season.

In a moment of great vindication ND was able to hold two Stanford power running plays to no yards, and preserve a 7 point lead at their own one yard line. In a game since dubbed "The Stand"

ND(5) over OU(8) 2012
Everybody including Notre Dame fans themselves had Oklahoma winning this game. When ND stopped Oklahoma on their first possession, and then Cierre Wood ran the ball up the middle for a 60+ yard TD on the very next possession it was like the world stopped for a brief moment, and in that moment you knew something was different this time, Notre Dame was building a program that could beat anybody anywhere on any night. ND eventually went on to beat OU in a stadium the sooners never lose in and were big favorites in their remaining 4 games on their way to the BCS national championship game.

The 2017 Season 8-1 (Week 1-Week 10)
Outside of a one point loss to a team that eventually finished #2 in F/+ that year (Georgia), Notre Dame was steamrolling everybody on their schedule during the first 10 weeks of the season.

ND was putting teams away by the 3rd quarter. They were in the top 5 in all the advanced ranking systems/computer polls. For a 10 week period, ND fans got to experience what it must feel like to be an Alabama fan. One of those programs that run the other team off the field in embarrassing fashion week in and week out.

Then Miami happened and it was all downhill from that point on.

Last edited:
Reactions: sawfish1
Hiring Brian Kelly without a doubt. ND football was heading down a road toward absolute irrelevancy

Last edited:
Reactions: notredamerises23
Hiring Brian Kelly without a doubt. ND football was heading down a road toward absolute irrelevancy
Ara, I’ve been up and down on Kelly as our HC. Loved the hire initially, then was on the Fire Kelly bandwagon after he stuck with BVG, etc... but then grew to appreciate the turnaround he engineered. Overall, he has been a major positive for the Program, and I’d rather sit here and bitch about ugly wins than the embarrassing loses we suffered for years before his hire.

Ara, I’ve been up and down on Kelly as our HC. Loved the hire initially, then was on the Fire Kelly bandwagon after he stuck with BVG, etc... but then grew to appreciate the turnaround he engineered. Overall, he has been a major positive for the Program, and I’d rather sit here and bitch about ugly wins than the embarrassing loses we suffered for years before his hire.
Just out of curiosity, do you at all consider the opportunity cost of Kelly occupying the head coach position at notre dame?

If after 2016, ND hired a new head coach. And that head coach went 29 and 6 with a bowl win vs LSU, made the playoff, and won 8 top 25 games, most would be singing their praises. I view Kelly as a new head coach after that season. That's how I view him. Hes not the same coach he was prior. He has flaws that needs to be fixed but we've come a long way last 3 seasons

Reactions: Catholicfan95
I asked my wife and she said no to living in the ND trophy case. It would be fun though. Here is why I said Brian Kelly: Before Kelly-From Davie through Weis; 7-6, 9-3, 5-7; 9-3, 5-6, 10-3, 5-7, 6-6 (terrible recruiting during the Loserham tenure; possibly the worse in ND history), 9-3, 10-3 (could ND have finally found it's coach?), 3-9, 7-6, and 6-6. During this stretch ND Bowl record was 1-7; Major Bowls 0-3 and Minor Bowls 1-4 and since Kelly became coach; 8-5, 8-5, 12-1, 9-4, 8-5,10-3, 4-8, 10-3, 12-1, and 7-2. His bowl record reflect what many have discussed; Major Bowls 0-3 and Minor Bowls 4-1.
Is Brian Kelly an elite coach? He certainly was before arriving at ND. He was considered the hot commodity in 2009. Let's face the fact that he left a lot of wins on the table in the first two years. If you can't see the difference in where ND is today than in 1997 to 2010 then... IMHO Brian Kelly coming to ND is the top moment of the 21st century so far. There hasn't been a lot of top moments so far in this century. I guess the firing of Loserham could be considered a top moment?

I asked my wife and she said no to living in the ND trophy case. It would be fun though. Here is why I said Brian Kelly: Before Kelly-From Davie through Weis; 7-6, 9-3, 5-7; 9-3, 5-6, 10-3, 5-7, 6-6 (terrible recruiting during the Loserham tenure; possibly the worse in ND history), 9-3, 10-3 (could ND have finally found it's coach?), 3-9, 7-6, and 6-6. During this stretch ND Bowl record was 1-7; Major Bowls 0-3 and Minor Bowls 1-4 and since Kelly became coach; 8-5, 8-5, 12-1, 9-4, 8-5,10-3, 4-8, 10-3, 12-1, and 7-2. His bowl record reflect what many have discussed; Major Bowls 0-3 and Minor Bowls 4-1.
Is Brian Kelly an elite coach? He certainly was before arriving at ND. He was considered the hot commodity in 2009. Let's face the fact that he left a lot of wins on the table in the first two years. If you can't see the difference in where ND is today than in 1997 to 2010 then... IMHO Brian Kelly coming to ND is the top moment of the 21st century so far. There hasn't been a lot of top moments so far in this century. I guess the firing of Loserham could be considered a top moment?

well, you’re the only one who knows where the key is!

(wife doing ok?)

well, you’re the only one who knows where the key is!

(wife doing ok?)
She's doing much better. She did asked if we lived in the trophy case would we have free passes to all ND sporting events and free food of course?

She's doing much better. She did asked if we lived in the trophy case would we have free passes to all ND sporting events and free food of course?

sure, and unfortunately, plenty of room!

If the Bush Push kick in the balls is one of the ND highlights from the past 20 years, then I hope this makes the cut as well.

Just out of curiosity, do you at all consider the opportunity cost of Kelly occupying the head coach position at notre dame?
To do that you'd need to know the likely results of the other options, which nobody has any clue about. To have opportunity cost, you need to be able to quantify the opportunity you are missing out on.

Just as a side note regarding that Nebraska game. When Eric Crouch scored in OT to win the game on that hot afternoon, the play was a virtual centerfold in the following SI. The SI photographer took the pic from behind as Eric was racing to the goal line. I am prominently shown in the picture by circumstance. It sits framed and displayed in my ND den.

No. Not from an analytical level because you have to make too many assumptions based purely on speculation. Just too many variables. Don’t confuse me with a totally satisfied fan; I’m not. I don’t want to go 10-2 every year with embarrassing loses at seasons end against the top tier. I want to be in the top tier. Not a fan of firing a coach who has developed the program to its current level, and much prefer a nice retirement in a year or two, and not at all happy to read about a possible extension.

Is there any such thing as a totally happy ND football fan? I personally run the emotional scale during every game from happy to grumpy. I think most most people do too.

Reactions: 8th Man
People ask me how I can be measured during an Irish game. Quiet. Calm. I tell them I've driven on Chicago's Dan Ryan Expressway and that free for all will prepare you for anything.

Part 2 (also added to the original post)

Brian Kelly, an irish catholic from Boston, was tied to Notre Dame during the entire 2009 season. When Weis was finally fired, and Kelly was hired in his place, the move surprised nobody.

He was one of the coaches on the forefront of the no huddle hurry up offense and had the reputation as an offensive innovator and a program builder having maximized the potential of the three previous programs he coached. At the time, fans were equally excited about the possibility of him bringing over some of his current and old staff who had big time reputations: Chuck Martin, Jeff Quinn, and Paul Longo.

Stanford during the late Weis/early Brian Kelly era, having dominated the rivalry in 3 of the past 4 games, was a constant reminder on the schedule of just how far away NDs fronts were.

When this game came around in 2012 everybody was looking to see just how good NDs front 7 was, which started to make a reputation for itself as one of the best in college football early in the season.

In a moment of great vindication ND was able to hold two Stanford power running plays to no yards, and preserve a 7 point lead at their own one yard line. In a game since dubbed "The Stand"

ND(5) over OU(8) 2012
Everybody including Notre Dame fans themselves had Oklahoma winning this game. When ND stopped Oklahoma on their first possession, and then Cierre Wood ran the ball up the middle for a 60+ yard TD on the very next possession it was like the world stopped for a brief moment, and in that moment you knew something was different this time, Notre Dame was building a program that could beat anybody anywhere on any night. ND eventually went on to beat OU in a stadium the sooners never lose in and were big favorites in their remaining 4 games on their way to the BCS national championship game.

Outside of a one point loss to a team that eventually finished #2 in F/+ that year (Georgia), Notre Dame was steamrolling everybody on their schedule during the first 10 weeks of the season.

ND was putting teams away by the 3rd quarter. They were in the top 5 in all the advanced ranking systems/computer polls. For a 10 week period, ND fans got to experience what it must feel like to be an Alabama fan. One of those programs that run the other team off the field in embarrassing fashion week in and week out.

Last edited:
Part 2 (also added to the original post)

ND(5) over OU(8) 2012

I have a newspaper clipping of "The Stand" hanging in my house. It is my favorite memory of ND football since I have been alive. It was a great game and I will never forget it as long as I live. Really great posts, appreciate you doing these!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT