ADVERTISEMENT

Most interesting or unique ND football player

artemis gordon

Irish Guard
Aug 8, 2015
I'll go with Pat Eilers and Mike Stonbreaker. Eilers epitomized the Notre Dame man, intelligent thoughtful and tenacious. Stonebreaker - Stoney marched to a different drummer. They should have done a film on him instead of Rudy

Reactions: Chitown11
I'll go with Pat Eilers and Mike Stonbreaker. Eilers epitomized the Notre Dame man, intelligent thoughtful and tenacious. Stonebreaker - Stoney marched to a different drummer. They should have done a film on him instead of Rudy
I have watched Rudy around 10 times, beginning to end. Love that movie.

Pat Eilers came to ND from Yale, played on the 88 National Championship team and was in the NFL for a few years. He is one of the five main donors for the new facility and has done very well post football.

My childhood hero was/is Vagas Ferguson. 1977 National Champions and played in the Cotton Bowl freezer game against Houston Cougars. Beat Earl Campbell and Texas to win the 77 title. Loved those green jerseys with gold numbers.

Also big fan of Alan Page another Notre Dane man.

Reactions: tbonesays
Rocky Bleier....From Notre Dame...to the NFL....to Viet Nam....and back to the NFL. And not without hardships and challenges few can relate to.

Reactions: FightingIrish44
Most unique? Most interesting?

Rocket. The fastest CFB player I have ever watched.

Reactions: IrishMike409

Mario Tonelli Not even close

I’ll go with Jeff Samardzija as most unique.

He’s one of my all time favorite players.
6’5, ran a 4.4, kind of unassuming looking but a beast of a WR. And as everyone knows well, pitched professionally for 12 years.

Mario Tonelli Not even close

That was a nice story. Thanks for sharing. I love that kind of stuff. I knew about Tonelli being a POW during WWII, but I didn't know the whole back story. Tonelli's interaction during the Bataan Death March with the English speaking Japanese officer who had been educated at USC was fascinating. The Japanese were brutal toward the Americans, yet this officer put the respect he had for ND due to his attendance at USC above all that, and made sure Tonelli's ND ring was returned to him. That was an incredibly powerful statement. Due to the Japanese military's "no surrender" philosophy it is very likely the Japanese officer died later during the war, but his gesture of good will toward Tonelli is something Tonelli didn't forget.

Reactions: theskibro
SAP. In 2003 before smart phones I saw a ticker scroll headline "Mirer to start at QB." I thought to myself, wonder if he's related to the guy who played for Holtz?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT