ADVERTISEMENT

Did you know that

Patrirish

I've posted how many times?
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2018
the spring game used to be against former Notre Dame players, some of whom were playing in the NFL ?

And it was a full contact game.

I don’t recall why or when the spring game transition to the blue-gold game

the spring game used to be against former Notre Dame players, some of whom were playing in the NFL ?

I think it was called the OLD TIMERS game, and the last one might have been played in 1967. It was Rockne who started the tradition.

There was also the COLLEGE ALL-STAR GAME where the best senior players from college played the reigning NFL champions at the end of August. Only once do I recall the college all-stars winning. The NFL champs usually drubbed them. The last time that game was played was in 1976.

A diferent era to be sure.

The why is probably that the NFL teams won't let their players play for fear of injury.

Yes I had heard that. Actually, I believe the late forties saw ND beating former players because we were that good

I’m fuzzy on all this but it’s very interesting how former players came back

Yes I had heard that. Actually, I believe the late forties saw ND beating former players because we were that good

I’m fuzzy on all this but it’s very interesting how former players came back
At my alma mater, after playing 4 years, I returned twice to play in the spring game.

Looking back on it now, I think to myself what an idiot. Suppose I got seriously injured, then what? Also, us alumni didn't have that many practices before the game and some of the old guys were really out of shape. Of course we weren't a div-1 school and none of us were past or present pros.

Reactions: theskibro
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT