ADVERTISEMENT

It's Amazing what some really easy games on the schedule can do for the perception of the program

You lost me at the Irish having extreme diffilculty with Wisconsin (a team that the Irish always out recruit). The Irish are loaded with playmakers especially on defense. A defense that is better than Alabamas. And LSU is going down tonight. And isn't LSU Notre Dames b*tch? 2012 was a long time ago. Kelly and staff have recruited better athletes and less RKG's since then.

Here's my reasoning.

Going into today's game, Wisconsin had scored 217 points and given up 29. They also had a net yardage differential of +275, recorded 3 shutouts, allowed no team more than 15 points in a game and were undefeated.

One of their victories was a 35-14 thumping of a still dangerous UM team. Let's see if ND beats UM by that score.

And, yesterday, the Badgers whipped a pretty good MSU team 38-0 for their fourth shutout.

Do you still think ND has a better defense? They certainly don't stat wise, and stats tell the story. No A's for effort there.

Plus, who do you think had the more impressive effort yesterday -- Wisconsin by 38 over MSU or ND by 3 over USC?

As for offense, Wisconsin went into yesterday's game averaging 43.4 points a game. They also have a running back, Jonathan Taylor, who, unlike Tony Jones, will play on Sunday and who's gained 4,730 yards rushing in less than 3 years.

Autry Denson and Allen Pinkett didn't reach that number in 4. Nor Darius Walker in 3. And the first two were ND's best.

As for LSU, have you watched Joe Burrow play? 5 TD passes in the opener; 4 against Texas; and 6 against Vandy. Yesterday, he threw another 3 as LSU beat a good Florida team handily.

Burrow has also been the SEC player of the week THREE TIMES. And that's the SEC we're talking about.

So, if you were a coach, who'd be your guy -- Burrow or Ian Book? I know who I'd choose.

To be fair as well as honest, both Wisconsin and LSU would easily give ND a run for its money. At the very least.

And both are and will remain for now ranked ahead of it.

And, based on performance to date, FOR GOOD REASON.

ND is ranked 9th, not 10th.

The rest of your post only got more hysterically stupid from there.

Check the Week 7 Coaches Poll. It's the one I follow. ND was ranked 10th. Here's the link.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/...ball-rankings-week-7-top-25-polls-2019-season

As far as your critique, an insult is the best you can do? No fact-based or analytical rebuttal?

Take a chance and make it interesting. I won't bite your head off if you contradict me.

For instance, how'd you enjoy last night's game? Was it all you'd hoped for?

ND is still ranked 12th in F&P+ latest update (10-7-2019) with a 44.5% F&P+

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/fplus/2019

This isn't good enough for ND to compete with playoff quality teams or be a regular playoff contender (top 5 or so).

ND has settled in nicely to a 10-15th program under Brian Kelly and there's no evidence anywhere that ND has anymore upside than this. NDs lack of quality recruiting is seriously capping the upside of the football program.

Congrats ND fans you have one of the worst blue blood programs in the FBS in modern college football (ranked somewhere really close to nebraska at the bottom) and if you take the best 2-3 programs from each power 5 conference, ND comes in somewhere towards the bottom percentile in 2019 somewhere inbetween Baylor Oregon Auburn and Central Florida.

Celebration time! Jubilation! Brian Kelly !!! woo hoo !! ND is BACK!!

You’re forgetting a monumentally important item.

Academic Standards !

ND isn’t going to lower their academic standards in order to get more W’s.

We’re unique, call it special, we combine high academic standards with successful athletics !

Anyone can dumb down their academic standards, few can elevate them .
We will continue to maintain our high standards on and off the fields of play !

We are special, we are ND ! ☘️ ☘️ ☘️

This is why record doesn't tell the story and one of the many reasons why a tool like F&P+ is simply far better. You need something that takes into account quality of competition. Like F&P+ does.

The ACC has been terrible in recent years outside of Clemson.
USC has been down
Stanford has been down

That's like 70% of the schedule.

ND has a really nice record the last several years but the peripheral stats don't support the elite record. ND isn't performing good enough against a weak schedule to compare with other 0/1/2 loss type teams. They are benefiting from a lot of external factors that are in their favor.

Much of what you say, I'd agree with, and we witnessed it again last night against USC.

1) ND plays well enough to win most of its games. Something Kelly should be credited with. For years, it hadn't been the case.

2) ND seldom dominates any but the weakest teams and has not achieved dominant status under Kelly. Unlike ND of old.

3) ND generally loses to the truly dominant teams. And after watching Bama today, it was readily apparent why. Personnel.

People have been arguing about why that USC kid Stepp didn't get into ND. A lot of reasons and counter-claims. Fact is, only ONE THING MATTERS. He didn't get in.

And, as it happened, he not only didn't beef up ND's running game, but he also improved a decent but by no means superior USC team's chances of upsetting ND.

What other athletic institution does this to itself?

REGULARLY!

You reap what you sow.

Last edited:
Reactions: valianted25
4-4-3,

Don’t forget, Wisconsin leads the nation in TOP !

Check the Week 7 Coaches Poll. It's the one I follow. ND was ranked 10th. Here's the link.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/...ball-rankings-week-7-top-25-polls-2019-season

As far as your critique, an insult is the best you can do? No fact-based or analytical rebuttal?

Take a chance and make it interesting. I won't bite your head off if you contradict me.

For instance, how'd you enjoy last night's game? Was it all you'd hoped for?

Literally no one "follows" a poll filled out by GA's and ignored by every reputable source in existence.

As for the rest of your post.....of course I mocked someone who doesn't even know what ND is actually ranked.

Mocking stupid people, like you, is what I do!!

Literally no one "follows" a poll filled out by GA's and ignored by every reputable source in existence.

As for the rest of your post.....of course I mocked someone who doesn't even know what ND is actually ranked.

Mocking stupid people, like you, is what I do!!

Well, good luck with that. I won't pressure you for more. Seems your hands are full already.

Civil discourse that doesn't veer into personal attack isn't for everyone.
It's good that you know your strengths.

Well, good luck with that. I won't pressure you for more. Seems your hands are full already.

Civil discourse that doesn't veer into personal attack isn't for everyone.
It's good that you know your strengths.

So you ignore facts.

Which FACT upsets you more:
--- (1) That ND was clearly NOT ranked 10th, as you claimed
--- (2) That BK is leading yet another ND team to amazing success

????

How about this, just quit watching ND football.

The same 6-8 of you whiny SOBs come here every week, win or lose and bitch about the games. It’s absolutely nauseating, I’m all for open forums, flow of differing ideas but give me a break. Y’all should form some sort of support group and bitch and moan amongst yourselves, take large doses of lithium and watch ND highlights from the 40’s.

ND rarely loses games they should win anymore, do you clowns not remember nearly 2 decades of getting hammered by superior teams and losing to average and subpar programs more often than we should?

I don’t love everything this staff does but I’ll take NDs program over all but a select handful (Bama,Clemson,OSU,OU), ND is a very solid program that does more with less than the southern powers.

So you ignore facts.

Which FACT upsets you more:
--- (1) That ND was clearly NOT ranked 10th, as you claimed
--- (2) That BK is leading yet another ND team to amazing success

????

That's better. See, you can do it.

Neither upsets me. Ninth or tenth is a moot point. I prefer the coaches poll. If it were reversed, I wouldn't care. I'm merely being consistent using the point of reference I started with in my power rankings.

As for Brian Kelly, he's a good coach, and I hope he wins every game he coaches. Except he won't. And that's just the reality. But it's no skin off my nose either way. Because I'm not that invested in what will either happen or what I wish to happen. I'm not the issue.

I'm only interested in why what happens happens, which mostly has to do with what's happened already. I'm not a fan in the sense that I consider hope a strategy. I don't do that with things I don't have any control over. For me, it's too magical.

As for amazing things, we'll see if they're achieved or not. I won't make a nickel off it either way or have bragging rights or proof of what a great prognosticator I am. Again, of absolutely zero concern to me.

I'm only interested in watching and trying to make sense of what I see. I'm too old to be emotionally invested in a game played by teenage boys. But I still like sticking pins in what's the sports equivalent of a military map on a cork board.

I'm reporting and delivering opinions on what I see. Sometimes, I'll comment on things people say I think are irrational. Not to attack them, but merely to point out the irrationality. But I don't care where you rank ND or what amazing stuff you see Brian Kelly doing.

That's your prerogative and certainly no reason to attack yours or anyone else's opinion. Frankly, that's boring and a sad waste of time.

I only care what occurs. The future I leave to probability. For those who believe they can control or influence it, I say, adhhab mae allah!

Here's my reasoning.

Going into today's game, Wisconsin had scored 217 points and given up 29. They also had a net yardage differential of +275, recorded 3 shutouts, allowed no team more than 15 points in a game and were undefeated.

One of their victories was a 35-14 thumping of a still dangerous UM team. Let's see if ND beats UM by that score.

And, yesterday, the Badgers whipped a pretty good MSU team 38-0 for their fourth shutout.

Do you still think ND has a better defense? They certainly don't stat wise, and stats tell the story. No A's for effort there.

Plus, who do you think had the more impressive effort yesterday -- Wisconsin by 38 over MSU or ND by 3 over USC?

As for offense, Wisconsin went into yesterday's game averaging 43.4 points a game. They also have a running back, Jonathan Taylor, who, unlike Tony Jones, will play on Sunday and who's gained 4,730 yards rushing in less than 3 years.

Autry Denson and Allen Pinkett didn't reach that number in 4. Nor Darius Walker in 3. And the first two were ND's best.

As for LSU, have you watched Joe Burrow play? 5 TD passes in the opener; 4 against Texas; and 6 against Vandy. Yesterday, he threw another 3 as LSU beat a good Florida team handily.

Burrow has also been the SEC player of the week THREE TIMES. And that's the SEC we're talking about.

So, if you were a coach, who'd be your guy -- Burrow or Ian Book? I know who I'd choose.

To be fair as well as honest, both Wisconsin and LSU would easily give ND a run for its money. At the very least.

LSU is a better squad then us, until they prove different....

I hope to god we don’t end up in a bowl game with them.

However I think we match up well vs them, an even better vs Wisconsin....

Neither upsets me. Ninth or tenth is a moot point. I prefer the coaches poll. If it were reversed, I wouldn't care. I'm merely being consistent using the point of reference I started with in my power rankings.

As for Brian Kelly, he's a good coach, and I hope he wins every game he coaches. Except he won't. And that's just the reality. But it's no skin off my nose either way. Because I'm not that invested in what will either happen or what I wish to happen. I'm not the issue.

I'm only interested in why what happens happens, which mostly has to do with what's happened already. I'm not a fan in the sense that I consider hope a strategy. I don't do that with things I don't have any control over. For me, it's too magical.

As for amazing things, we'll see if they're achieved or not. I won't make a nickel off it either way or have bragging rights or proof of what a great prognosticator I am. Again, of absolutely zero concern to me.

I'm only interested in watching and trying to make sense of what I see. I'm too old to be emotionally invested in a game played by teenage boys. But I still like sticking pins in what's the sports equivalent of a military map on a cork board.

I'm reporting and delivering opinions on what I see. Sometimes, I'll comment on things people say I think are irrational. Not to attack them, but merely to point out the irrationality. But I don't care where you rank ND or what amazing stuff you see Brian Kelly doing.

That's your prerogative and certainly no reason to attack yours or anyone else's opinion. Frankly, that's boring and a sad waste of time.

I only care what occurs. The future I leave to probability. For those who believe they can control or influence it, I say, adhhab mae allah!
2 things

1. Coaches poll is the absolute worst

2. We are 27 and 5 in our last 32 games

Reactions: NewMember21

Longest way to say “I’m an idiot, I don’t know anything about football” that I’ve ever seen.

But good to see you acknowledging your stupidity.

Here's my reasoning.

“Stats tell the story” .... lol

You may as well just admit to being mentally handicapped.

Your quote above already proves it.

No, they tell the story. There's a narrative there. And they record what a team achieves. In the end yardage and points are what matter. Everything else is an input.

Check out the ranked teams at the end of the year, and you will find they are yardage/point differential leaders. Year-in, year-out. Start with ND's teams from the 40's and work forward as I have.

Besides, it's true even as the season progresses.

It's an interesting tale.

Instructive.

And as I've indicated previously, my interest is in OUTCOMES. I view them as similar to profits. Predictions are better left to seers and parsing of inputs to second-guessers.

LSU is a better squad then us, until they prove different....

I hope to god we don’t end up in a bowl game with them.

However I think we match up well vs them, an even better vs Wisconsin....

As you say, ND may indeed match up well against them. I don't really know. What I do know is that they're both strong teams. And, as I said, they'd both give ND a game. As in -- I don't see either of them rolling over.

That ND had to work as hard as it did against USC was, to my mind, no aberration. And that was by no means a great USC team. Certainly not Carroll-vintage. But, then, ND isn't Holtz-vintage either.

Still, you're concerned that ND might wind up in a bowl against LSU. No argument there. I'd see it as reason for concern. Their QB is terrific. Great QB's on top ten teams always pose a challenge.

Again, no meat on the bone?

Just an insult?

Where's your fact base? That can't be all you have to say. Your opinions deserve fleshing out, don't you think? You can do better.

Here's an idea. Lose the insults and step up your game.

No, they tell the story. There's a narrative there. And they record what a team achieves. In the end yardage and points are what matter. Everything else is an input.

Check out the ranked teams at the end of the year, and you will find they are yardage/point differential leaders. Year-in, year-out. Start with ND's teams from the 40's and work forward as I have.

Besides, it's true even as the season progresses.

It's an interesting tale.

Instructive.

And as I've indicated previously, my interest is in OUTCOMES. I view them as similar to profits. Predictions are better left to seers and parsing of inputs to second-guessers.

Again.....you’re wrong.

Yardage differential does not equate to rankings, just generally correlated with them.

Stats are part of a picture, and a relatively small part at that. Nothing more.

Only a moron with no football knowledge at all would ever say otherwise.

So it’s not shocking to see you say it....

Spoiler: Stats are NOT a record of the actual outcome.

2 things

1. Coaches poll is the absolute worst

2. We are 27 and 5 in our last 32 games

I don' think there's ever been that material a difference between the AP and coaches polls going back to 1957 when I first became aware of them. Some differences of course but nothing earth shattering.

For instance, they've almost always agreed on the number one team. The rest is a game of quibble anyone can play. Parsing for second guessers.

And, yes, ND is 27 and 5. Is there a further point? Or have you stated that in reference to something I've written?

Again, no meat on the bone?

Just an insult?

Where's your fact base? That can't be all you have to say. Your opinions deserve fleshing out, don't you think? You can do better.

Here's an idea. Lose the insults and step up your game.

My opinion is fully fleshed out.

A “stat-sheet analyst” like you should just admit that you’re a fool who knows nothing.

Stats don’t tell the story of a game.
The game film does.

Arguing otherwise is so moronic, one would have to be mentally handicapped to ever do it.

So again, not surprising to see a long time board laughingstock like you do it........

I don' think there's ever been that material a difference between the AP and coaches polls going back to 1957 when I first became aware of them. Some differences of course but nothing earth shattering.

For instance, they've almost always agreed on the number one team. The rest is a game of quibble anyone can play. Parsing for second guessers.

And, yes, ND is 27 and 5. Is there a further point? Or have you stated that in reference to something I've written?

Lol @ trying to justify referencing the “Grad Assistant and Sports Admin Poll”

Just more evidence of your mental handicap!!

Again.....you’re wrong.

Yardage differential does not equate to rankings, just generally correlated with them.

Stats are part of a picture, and a relatively small part at that. Nothing more.

Only a moron with no football knowledge at all would ever say otherwise.

So it’s not shocking to see you say it....

Spoiler: Stats are NOT a record of the actual outcome.

Not rankings, power rankings. Everyone uses stats in power rankings. I use the coaches poll and then do power rankings on those teams in the top ten. My little hobby.

Once again, the name calling. What's that about?

Not rankings, power rankings. Everyone uses stats in power rankings. I use the coaches poll and then do power rankings on those teams in the top ten. My little hobby.

Once again, the name calling. What's that about?

If you’re evaluating your own power rankings.....then you can claim they’re correlated with team colors and the greatest number of perms per team.

Totally irrelevant.

Any actually relevant ranking and obviously the Playoff Selection Committee tanking....are based on results/record and game film....with stats sprinkled in as context.

As it should be.

Thank you for once again confirming your mental handicap.

More name calling. What's that about?

Every time your posts further confirm your mental handicap, I’ll point it out.

Post better.

You can start by admiring that you were a moron for ever referencing the “Grad Assistant and Sports Admin Poll”.
Then we can continue your apology tour from there.

My opinion is fully fleshed out.

A “stat-sheet analyst” like you should just admit that you’re a fool who knows nothing.

Stats don’t tell the story of a game.
The game film does.

Arguing otherwise is so moronic, one would have to be mentally handicapped to ever do it.

So again, not surprising to see a long time board laughingstock like you do it........

You've read books and you've seen films. Both tell you something.

One provides one kind of detail; the other, another.

If you’re evaluating your own power rankings.....then you can claim they’re correlated with team colors and the greatest number of perms per team.

Totally irrelevant.

Any actually relevant ranking and obviously the Playoff Selection Committee tanking....are based on results/record and game film....with stats sprinkled in as context.

As it should be.

Thank you for once again confirming your mental handicap.

Why the insult? Wny not post without using insults? Do you feel under attack or something?

There's nothing to fear here. You're being aggressive, and no one is attacking you.

Every time your posts further confirm your mental handicap, I’ll point it out.

Post better.

You can start by admiring that you were a moron for ever referencing the “Grad Assistant and Sports Admin Poll”.
Then we can continue your apology tour from there.

That sounds like someone who thinks his role is to punish people. Is that how you see it?

You've read books and you've seen films. Both tell you something.

One provides one kind of detail; the other, another.

Example:
You just compared reading a book about being a doctor to actually being a doctor in real life.

Which provides the more useful info?

Stats are a tiny part of a picture, and should ONLY be used to contextualize and whence an understanding based primarily on the result and the game film.

Arguing otherwise simply confirms your mental handicap.

Why the insult? Wny not post without using insults? Do you feel under attack or something?

There's nothing to fear here. You're being aggressive, and no one is attacking you.

I’ve fairly evaluated the quality of your posts and publicly posted the results.

So far, all of your posts demonstrate a total lack of any football knowledge whatsoever and all confirm your mental handicap.

If you feel attacked......just post better.

That sounds like someone who thinks his role is to punish people. Is that how you see it?

My role is to post correct and relevant info, which is what I’ve done.

So you ready to admit that you were a moron for ever referencing the “Grad Assistant and Sports Admin Poll”???
Then we can continue your apology tour.

Or will you keep deflecting??

My role is to post correct and relevant info, which is what I’ve done.

So you ready to admit that you were a moron for ever referencing the “Grad Assistant and Sports Admin Poll”???
Then we can continue your apology tour.

Or will you keep deflecting??
Your entire style is "I'm right because I said so and that's the end of the story and if you don't agree then I'm going to derail the conversation with personal attack after personal attack after personal attack so that the topic has gone so far off course that nobody even remembers the original discussion"

And it does nothing but obfuscate different points of view and makes the forum toxic as hell. I've already ignored like four of your other usernames. if you can't figure out how to have a debate on the merits of the points being made without attacking posters and being a belligerent a****** then I'm going to ignore this username as well.

I'm not offended by your insults those are easy to ignore I'm offended by the constant derailing of good conversation by your spamming and toxicity.

Last edited:
Your entire style is "I'm right because I said so and that's the end of the story and if you don't agree then I'm going to derail the conversation with personal attack after personal attack after personal attack so that the topic has gone so far off course that nobody even remembers the original discussion"

And it does nothing but obfuscate different points of view and makes the forum toxic as hell. I've already ignored like four of your other usernames. if you can't figure out how to have a debate on the merits of the points being made without attacking posters and being a belligerent a****** then I'm going to ignore this username as well.

I'm not offended by your insults those are easy to ignore I'm offended by the constant derailing of good conversation by your spamming and toxicity.

I don’t care what you ignore or don’t. Irrelevant.

Again, I post relevant facts and make no apologies for it....and I’ll hammer them into you until you admit how idiotic you ever were for ignoring those facts.

Now, if you have a substantive response or counter, present it.

These pathetic temper-tantrums just expose the weakness of your “point” and your own inability to handle actually relevant facts.

Latest FP+ update has Notre Dame down to #17. (They are ranked #21 in FEI, and #16 in S&P+).

Also surprisingly, FEI has NDs defense ranked 21st through 7 games, and has the offense ranked 19th.

Here's a summary of the components/factors that go into DFEI rankings:
DFEI Defense Ratings (DFEI) represent the per possession scoring advantage a team's defense would be expected to have on a neutral field against an average offense. Unadjusted defensive possession efficiency (DPE) is calculated as a function of defensive game splits. Schedule strength is represented by each team's average per possession defensive opponent adjustment (DOA). Touchdown rate (DTD) is the percentage of opponent offensive drives that result in a touchdown. First Down rate (DFD) is the percentage of opponent offensive drives that result in a touchdown or at least one first down. Available Yards percentage (DAY) is the total yards surrendered by the defense divided by the total yards available to be earned based on starting field position. Explosive Drive rate (DED) is the percentage of opponent offensive drives that average at least ten yards per play. Busted Drive rate (DBD) is the percentage of opponent offensive drives that earn zero or negative yards. Turnover rate (DTO) is the percentage of opponent offensive drives that result in a fumble or interception.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef/2019

Last edited:
Latest FP+ update has Notre Dame down to #17. (They are ranked #21 in FEI, and #16 in S&P+).

Also surprisingly, FEI has NDs defense ranked 21st through 7 games, and has the offense ranked 19th.

Here's a summary of how DFEI calculates its defensive rankings:
DFEI Defense Ratings (DFEI) represent the per possession scoring advantage a team's defense would be expected to have on a neutral field against an average offense. Unadjusted defensive possession efficiency (DPE) is calculated as a function of defensive game splits. Schedule strength is represented by each team's average per possession defensive opponent adjustment (DOA). Touchdown rate (DTD) is the percentage of opponent offensive drives that result in a touchdown. First Down rate (DFD) is the percentage of opponent offensive drives that result in a touchdown or at least one first down. Available Yards percentage (DAY) is the total yards surrendered by the defense divided by the total yards available to be earned based on starting field position. Explosive Drive rate (DED) is the percentage of opponent offensive drives that average at least ten yards per play. Busted Drive rate (DBD) is the percentage of opponent offensive drives that earn zero or negative yards. Turnover rate (DTO) is the percentage of opponent offensive drives that result in a fumble or interception.

Again, FP+ has Alabama over Clemson..................AFTER Clemson murdered them.

It's a deeply flawed metric that is useful ONLY to contextualize a team's record.

Your attempts to use such a deeply flawed metric to replace results or idiotic.

Here's a summary of the components/factors that go into DFEI rankings:

No one cares.

Irrelevant

Reactions: NewMember21
ADVERTISEMENT