ADVERTISEMENT

Good win but this was a really BAD sparty team

Yes, Kelly has wins against some SC teams. But none of those SC wins are against SC teams that finished in the top 10.

Loved the goal line stand against the trees. But that Stanford was average.

Again, going on the road to Norman was a good win but if I remember that Sooners team finished with 4 or 5 loses.

Michigan sucked that year.

Clemson and FSU could have been PROGRAM changing wins. Those teams went onto win Championships while ND has gone through a complete staff overhaul. Kelly has yet to win a PROGRAM defining game.
Stanford finished 12-2 that year with a final rank of 7. Oklahoma finished 10-3 with a final ranking at 15. Both were very good teams that year. Stanford was a top 10 team even after we beat them and OK likely would have been top ten had we not beaten them.

What you will find, after all the Kool-Aide drinkers have over indulged, is that this team, ND is average. They will beat some teams that maybe people thought they wouldn't win and will lose to teams they shouldn't. i.e., beat a USC and lose to a Wake Forest. That's just the DNA of this program and coach. Mediocrity.
Enjoy the season.

Stanford finished 12-2 that year with a final rank of 7. Oklahoma finished 10-3 with a final ranking at 15. Both were very good teams that year. Stanford was a top 10 team even after we beat them and OK likely would have been top ten had we not beaten them.
Are we saying beating a team (Stanford) that finished #8 was Kelly's biggest win???? Ok the Trees weren't average they were good.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Neither the Sooners nor the Tree's were "very good". Just good, no where near the level of Clemson or FSU.

Sparty sucked last year and whipped ND. The whiners were irate with that loss, now the resident whiners are underwhelmed with a 20 point win over a "bad" Sparty team on the road?

Seriously get over yourselves!!!

Good point. Stanford also handed Oregon #1 at the time, finished #5 their only loss of the season.

OU struggled with Baylor on the road, Clemson struggled with BC for 3 qrts, USC struggles with everyone. A bunch of the top teams have looked very pedestrian at times early in this season.

Reactions: irishsportsfan
Definitely take the win and definitely like the win. However, sparty is on the decline. Sparty will be lucky to make a bowl game this year. ND has yet to beat a "top" team this season. Took a good Georgia team to the brink but just like all big Kelly games end ND was close but no cigar. Of course, beat SC then we have a PROGRAM that is back and in contention.
Well it's better to dominate a bad team than do what Oklahoma did

Are we saying beating a team (Stanford) that finished #8 was Kelly's biggest win???? Ok the Trees weren't average they were good.
Between the two big wins that year I'd say the Oklahoma win was the biggest. Beating a good to very good OK team at their place is a really big win and, even though Stanford was probably a better team that year, I think beating OK and Stoops was the bigger accomplishment after you consider Stoops' career record at home. And yes, I think that win at Norman was and remains Kelly's biggest. In the grand scheme of things that may not be saying a whole lot but it's still part of BK's resume and he deserves credit for that win and the win against Stanford. You were downplaying those wins through faulty memory. I was pointing out where you were factually wrong. I was not arguing against your larger point.

We can all agree on this, ND just beat three teams that will be lucky to finish in the top 25. I love the new coaching staff. I see an immediate improvement from last year. I called this win over sparty a good win. But we as Irish fans, have seen this movie before. That is, a Kelly coached team continually losing games against top rated teams.

FSU had two losses -- one to a six loss NC State team! Do you actually watch football?
FSU finished 13-1 lost to the ducks in the playoffs. I guess I watch a little more football than you.

The only season I will accept is one in which the mighty Fighting Irish beat all 3 other playoff teams in the regular season, plus the 8 next teams that didn't get in....all by at least 7 touchdowns...with zero ND turnovers....zero ND penalties....zero ND dropped passes....zero negative plays....zero points given up....zero yards given up....and zero extra points misses.

The only season I will accept is one in which the mighty Fighting Irish beat all 3 other playoff teams in the regular season, plus the 8 next teams that didn't get in....all by at least 7 touchdowns...with zero ND turnovers....zero ND penalties....zero ND dropped passes....zero negative plays....zero points given up....zero yards given up....and zero extra points misses.
Again, good win but come on, three wins against teams that might not make a bowl.

I think 2 of the 3 will-----and if you look down the road most all will after this week.

We will likely play 9-10 Bowl teams-----nothing to be ashamed of and IMO 6-7 of them will have 8 or more wins.

Definitely take the win and definitely like the win. However, sparty is on the decline. Sparty will be lucky to make a bowl game this year. ND has yet to beat a "top" team this season. Took a good Georgia team to the brink but just like all big Kelly games end ND was close but no cigar. Of course, beat SC then we have a PROGRAM that is back and in contention.
If we beat SC that means we have a program that is back?lol...ok.

They need to demonstrate no fluke wins. Win a big game. Then win a second one in S as me season. Make some statements doing so. Get some personal foul calls for being a total ass taunting or spitting on their logo. Something. I love class and stress that but this program needs energized so badly. Defy the odds. Get some attitude. Become the villain again. Make everyone tune in to root against us. Welcome the us against the world attitude.

Teams to this point have been thinking Notre Dame week. South bend will be cool to see. The game will be fairly easy. We need them terrified it's ND week.

Reactions: Howard Hall 74
Between the two big wins that year I'd say the Oklahoma win was the biggest. Beating a good to very good OK team at their place is a really big win and, even though Stanford was probably a better team that year, I think beating OK and Stoops was the bigger accomplishment after you consider Stoops' career record at home. And yes, I think that win at Norman was and remains Kelly's biggest. In the grand scheme of things that may not be saying a whole lot but it's still part of BK's resume and he deserves credit for that win and the win against Stanford. You were downplaying those wins through faulty memory. I was pointing out where you were factually wrong. I was not arguing against your larger point.

Those Louis Nix era wins are getting further and further away. Since then it's been a Weisian tale of coming close instead of winning tbo.

For what it's worth, I watched most of this game over the other night. We did what we needed to do to win, but MSU did nothing to win, from turnovers to keeping our drives live with penalties. Had MSU played well, it would have been a close game.

All I can say is we are somewhere in between the euphoric highs of the Kool Aid drinkers and the down in the dumps lows of the barbiturate gobbling doubters.

? Michigan State is 4 and 1 and handled Iowa easier than Penn State did. Only have to win 2 more games to get to bowl.

Reactions: cancandodo
? Michigan State is 4 and 1 and handled Iowa easier than Penn State did. Only have to win 2 more games to get to bowl.

Don't just assume things when you post. You assume MSU played as many games as ND. MSU had a bye and are 3-1 not 4-1. They beat 2 MAC school and a bad Iowa team at home.

I never said they wouldn't make a bowl. I said they will be lucky to make a bowl.

So, is our standard beating a team that is 3-1 and two of those games are against MAC schools we use that as our benchmark?

ND has beat NO ONE worth anything this season!!! 'IF' they would have beat Georgia, then we would have something to hang on hat on. However, this is a Kelly team. We don't win those kind of games, even if the game is home.

I do expect ND to beat SC this season. Why? Because of Elco and Long.

Don't just assume things when you post. You assume MSU played as many games as ND. MSU had a bye and are 3-1 not 4-1. They beat 2 MAC school and a bad Iowa team at home.

I never said they wouldn't make a bowl. I said they will be lucky to make a bowl.

So, is our standard beating a team that is 3-1 and two of those games are against MAC schools we use that as our benchmark?

ND has beat NO ONE worth anything this season!!! 'IF' they would have beat Georgia, then we would have something to hang on hat on. However, this is a Kelly team. We don't win those kind of games, even if the game is home.

I do expect ND to beat SC this season. Why? Because of Elco and Long.

Iowa had just barely lost to #4 Penn State last week. MSU isn't great, but they're better than you're giving them credit for. I think their season last year was an aberration, just like ours. I don't expect them to regain their status of a few years ago (now that Michigan and Penn State have resurged), but I do expect them to win around 8 games and go to a bowl.

So our win there was a good road win against a solid team IMO.

MSU lost good players for various reasons. And like the other ND opponents, they had an inexperienced QB.
I think Iowa suffered an emotional letdown.

Iowa is a 6-7 win team----Sparty likely the same but plays in a much tougher division.

Sparty just better than Iowa .

Iowa is a 6-7 win team----Sparty likely the same but plays in a much tougher division.

Sparty just better than Iowa .

Still we rolled them and it was a road win and a rivalry. And they will make a bowl. The op siad he doubts Michigan State will make a bowl. They play teams like Rutgers and Minnesota-- All they need is two wins.
And I bet #8 Michigan beats Michigan State by lessthan we beat them at home if they beat them at all.

So, if your Sparty you are at home under the lights and have three TOs and allow the other team to score 21 points off those TOs (1 a pick 6) . Would you really say there are teams in your conference that you are better than???

ND played well in a rough environment and took advantage of the opportunities. A good win

What you will find, after all the Kool-Aide drinkers have over indulged, is that this team, ND is average. They will beat some teams that maybe people thought they wouldn't win and will lose to teams they shouldn't. i.e., beat a USC and lose to a Wake Forest. That's just the DNA of this program and coach. Mediocrity.

Lick me

Just read this thread for the first time, and sitting here enjoying that this team is doing what it needs to do to win, and win impressively. The MSU game was no exception. We won't really know how good this team is until the end of the season, and I for one, am enjoying the ride thus far. We play hard aggressive instinctive football across the board, with discipline and genuine enthusiasm, and that is welcomed change.

"Bad Sparty" is ranked 27 by Sagarin. They have a big road game coming against Mich. If they beat Mich, that should end the bad Sparty talk.

Reactions: zonairish
Well. Another win apparently against a very good Sparty team. Just knocked off #7 and is 4-1.

ND is playing well but no credit from some. Come on guys. Get on the BK train!

1 win from bowl elligable.

Well. Another win apparently against a very good Sparty team. Just knocked off #7 and is 4-1.

ND is playing well but no credit from some. Come on guys. Get on the BK train!

1 win from bowl elligable.

It would be nice to see us start to make some meaningful steps up the rankings.

It would be nice to see us start to make some meaningful steps up the rankings.

The committee looks at many things that the uninformed voters do not. After this last win ND should be close in the top 10 in offensive efficiency and top 20ish in defensive efficiency and top 10 in overall efficiency. ND has controlled its games and has led for the majority of minutes played, and that is something the committee looks at. Frankly, ND is playing like a top 10 team right now.

Reactions: Irish Grandeur
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT