ADVERTISEMENT

Good win but this was a really BAD sparty team

Zorich 88

I've posted how many times?
Dec 7, 2006
Definitely take the win and definitely like the win. However, sparty is on the decline. Sparty will be lucky to make a bowl game this year. ND has yet to beat a "top" team this season. Took a good Georgia team to the brink but just like all big Kelly games end ND was close but no cigar. Of course, beat SC then we have a PROGRAM that is back and in contention.

Definitely take the win and definitely like the win. However, sparty is on the decline. Sparty will be lucky to make a bowl game this year. ND has yet to beat a "top" team this season. Took a good Georgia team to the brink but just like all big Kelly games end ND was close but no cigar. Of course, beat SC then we have a PROGRAM that is back and in contention.

Agreed about Michigan State. Very average team, IMO. I think your Kelly comments lack objectivity, however. He's lost some really big games. No argument there. He has also beaten USC in several huge games. The goal line stand game against Stanford was a huge win. He took a red shirt freshman QB on the road and beat Oklahoma in Norman, a place that Stoops had only lost 4 times in something like 8-10 years. He crushed Michigan 38-0 in ND's final meeting with them. He won against a solid LSU team (big name program) In a bowl game. I haven't forgotten about the close loses at Clemson or Florida State. I haven't forgotten the meltdown at Stanford in 2015 or the loses to USC, or the thinking vs Ohio State. I watched the national title game vs Alabama and the Georgia game this year... Trust me, I understand your critique... But do you remember the big wins as well? I think it's important we look at the entire picture.

This is not a win ND can or will point to as a good win when fighting for a good bowl game.

Reactions: TOMMY_23

It's a win they can build on. They're much better than Temple or BC. We're getting better week by week and that's something we haven't been able to say in a long time.

Reactions: Kelso86
Agreed about Michigan State. Very average team, IMO. I think your Kelly comments lack objectivity, however. He's lost some really big games. No argument there. He has also beaten USC in several huge games. The goal line stand game against Stanford was a huge win. He took a red shirt freshman QB on the road and beat Oklahoma in Norman, a place that Stoops had only lost 4 times in something like 8-10 years. He crushed Michigan 38-0 in ND's final meeting with them. He won against a solid LSU team (big name program) In a bowl game. I haven't forgotten about the close loses at Clemson or Florida State. I haven't forgotten the meltdown at Stanford in 2015 or the loses to USC, or the thinking vs Ohio State. I watched the national title game vs Alabama and the Georgia game this year... Trust me, I understand your critique... But do you remember the big wins as well? I think it's important we look at the entire picture.

Yes, Kelly has wins against some SC teams. But none of those SC wins are against SC teams that finished in the top 10.

Loved the goal line stand against the trees. But that Stanford was average.

Again, going on the road to Norman was a good win but if I remember that Sooners team finished with 4 or 5 loses.

Michigan sucked that year.

Clemson and FSU could have been PROGRAM changing wins. Those teams went onto win Championships while ND has gone through a complete staff overhaul. Kelly has yet to win a PROGRAM defining game.

Reactions: TOMMY_23
zorich,
I tend to agree that The Spartans were not as good as I thought they might be, but I am beginning to think , and hope, that our defense may be one of the best in the Nation ? This is the best most aggressive
Defense that I have seen at ND in a number of decades.
So in short, Our defense may have made the Spartans look a lot worse than they may really be ?
I am actually enjoying watching our defense play for the first time in a long time !

I like the win no doubt. I mean I live 10min from Sparty stadium. I now have bragging rights. ND practiced 4miles from my house Saturday morning at a local Catholic HS. So yes, I love the win. But the reality is sparty sucks and when ND uses this win to help get them a big bowl this win will not add up.

zorich,
I tend to agree that The Spartans were not as good as I thought they might be, but I am beginning to think , and hope, that our defense may be one of the best in the Nation ? This is the best most aggressive
Defense that I have seen at ND in a number of decades.
So in short, Our defense may have made the Spartans look a lot worse than they may really be ?
I am actually enjoying watching our defense play for the first time in a long time !

Yes, the defense is fun to watch. We could be watching our future head coach running the defense right now. Or at least someone's future head coach.

Sparty will probably get in a lower tier bowl. If they did not turn the ball over this would have been a 24-17 Irish victory or something like that. This game was a must win in a tough environment and the Irish won. Sparty does not suck they are middle of the road. Last years team was terrible.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Sparty will probably get in a lower tier bowl. If they did not turn the ball over this would have been a 24-17 Irish victory or something like that. This game was a must win in a tough environment and the Irish won. Sparty does not suck they are middle of the road. Last years team was terrible.
So, if your Sparty you are at home under the lights and have three TOs and allow the other team to score 21 points off those TOs (1 a pick 6) . Would you really say there are teams in your conference that you are better than???

Middle of the pack in the B10 would be around 5 or 6. Which 5 or 6 teams is MSU better than???

I get the Kelly bashers and I knew the comment that this was a bad MSU team was coming but didn't we do what we should have done during this game? We beat them soundly which in another year we may have squeaked by or even lost, we played clean football the whole game and we won a road game in a tough environment.

I know some will doubt Kelly as will I until we start beating the upper echelon teams but I loved the way we played this game. I also saw Georgia rout a Miss State team after some said Georgia was over-rated when they beat us. I also saw the comments last week when we were only ahead of Boston College by a few points at halftime (just like Clemson yesterday) saying that this was basically the end of this team until we blew them out in the second half. You have to enjoy the wins.

So, if your Sparty you are at home under the lights and have three TOs and allow the other team to score 21 points off those TOs (1 a pick 6) . Would you really say there are teams in your conference that you are better than???

I did not say they were a great team. They still lose if they played a clean game but they do not suck. They are average. To me, that means on any given day they could upset someone but I believe they will qualify for a lower tier bowl. I am no psychic but I believe they are a 5-7 to a 7-5 team based on their schedule. Now if they continue to Turn the ball over that could change.

I get the Kelly bashers and I knew the comment that this was a bad MSU team was coming but didn't we do what we should have done during this game? We beat them soundly which in another year we may have squeaked by or even lost, we played clean football the whole game and we won a road game in a tough environment.

I know some will doubt Kelly as will I until we start beating the upper echelon teams but I loved the way we played this game. I also saw Georgia rout a Miss State team after some said Georgia was over-rated when they beat us. I also saw the comments last week when we were only ahead of Boston College by a few points at halftime (just like Clemson yesterday) saying that this was basically the end of this team until we blew them out in the second half. You have to enjoy the wins.

I am in no way belittling this win. But when ND has to show SOS to get a big bowl or even maybe a playoff bid, this win will not help the SOS.

Yes, the defense is fun to watch. We could be watching our future head coach running the defense right now. Or at least someone's future head coach.
zero,
ND better do all they can to keep this D.C. Here at ND. I was thinking the same thing. I don't know
How long Kelly will be at ND, but this Defensive staff is really doing a great job.
We let Urban get away, and we better not repeat that mistake again !

Everyone was saying how bad BC was yet they gave mighty Clemson a game for three quarters. D'Antonio is one of the best. He will coach this team up. They have a good QB but the team as a whole is very young. Prediction: they will upset someone down the line. A Michigan, a Penn State -

Now a lot of people were saying just how mediocre Georgia was. They just crushed a MissSt team that made LSU look like pansies.

Miami of Ohio is the best team in the country. Win and move on. Play each game as if it were the natty. Win and move on.

Proud of the boys. Good, solid shellacking of Sparty.

I'd be happy if I were you. You guys had a clean game in a tough environment penalty and turnover wise. You made the other team pay when they made mistakes. And in general you controlled the los vs inferior line play. MSU will probably rank average for line play on the year.

I like the win no doubt. I mean I live 10min from Sparty stadium. I now have bragging rights. ND practiced 4miles from my house Saturday morning at a local Catholic HS. So yes, I love the win. But the reality is sparty sucks and when ND uses this win to help get them a big bowl this win will not add up.

"But the reality is sparty sucks and when ND uses this win to help get them a big bowl this win will not add up"

Hopefully, this will be one of the many -- All ND can do is win the games on their schedule -- what this team needs is the confidence builders -- and, they are improving week to week -- what I liked especially, was the goal line stand -- even when the game was over -- the could have relaxed a bit, but, the freshness with how they are playing in the 4th quarter.

This is not a win ND can or will point to as a good win when fighting for a good bowl game.
I too am as skeptical as any here, yet i think this was our most complete game in quite some time!

On the flip side. Is it not a good win? Surely when ND loses regardless of record it is plastered on the networks! A team thats won 10-11 games a season prior to last yr. is surely a good win and will be pointed out as such!

What you will find, after all the Kool-Aide drinkers have over indulged, is that this team, ND is average. They will beat some teams that maybe people thought they wouldn't win and will lose to teams they shouldn't. i.e., beat a USC and lose to a Wake Forest. That's just the DNA of this program and coach. Mediocrity.

What you will find, after all the Kool-Aide drinkers have over indulged, is that this team, ND is average. They will beat some teams that maybe people thought they wouldn't win and will lose to teams they shouldn't. i.e., beat a USC and lose to a Wake Forest. That's just the DNA of this program and coach. Mediocrity.

Here he is---Mr. Sunshine himself, guaranteed to rain on anyone's parade. He just can't bear when anyone says anything positive about ND.

I really hope someone is saving all these debbie downer posts! Payback will be a bitch.

I really hope someone is saving all these debbie downer posts! Payback will be a bitch.

Please, save them, and all the Kool Aide overdosers too... and we'll see in the end what the overarching reality becomes and happens. This was a nice win. Rewarding, given the times that MSU has manhandled past Kelly teams in the trenches. This may lead to other wins, but after Thanksgiving weekend, we will be 8 & 4 or worse. That's the reality and the bickering on this board and all others and the national media will be about a disappointing ND program once again. That's the present day reality. Mediocre.

Please, save them, and all the Kool Aide overdosers too... and we'll see in the end what the overarching reality becomes and happens. This was a nice win. Rewarding, given the times that MSU has manhandled past Kelly teams in the trenches. This may lead to other wins, but after Thanksgiving weekend, we will be 8 & 4 or worse. That's the reality and the bickering on this board and all others and the national media will be about a disappointing ND program once again. That's the present day reality. Mediocre.
Kelly's record against MSU is 4-2. You're not very smart, are you?

Sparty stinks this year but ND did all that it could do. It took care of business on the road. I think the Irish get back into the lower part of the top 25 with this win.

After a 4 win season I'm taking each win in stride. Enjoying each one. Teams always look worse after they get crushed. After watching Georgia maul Miss St this team has nothing to be ashamed of so far. None of the wins have been close. The team is playing with a different intensity. Proud of them this far.

Reactions: Kelso86 and rgc7

Sounds like similar talk after the Georgia game. Dominating MSU at their place on prime time TV is a very good win. Sparty doesn't suck.
Let's let the season play out.

Reactions: rgc7
Howard,
You may very well prove correct ! After the first 4 games, our defense seems to be greatly
Improved over any ND defense that I have seen in years. I was much more disappointed with our
Offense after the Ga. game, they really let us down in that game !
I never liked coach Kelly and still do not like him, but the key to this season seems to be our defense ? So if Kelly can keep his coaching mistakes to a minimum, we may do better than his usual 8 / 4 ?
Great defense also usually can make a decent offense look a lot better, because stoping
Other teams offenses gives more Time of Possession to our offense.
Could be a very interesting season ?

ADVERTISEMENT