ADVERTISEMENT

Freeman needs to go

We’re a dominant defense, run first offense, with three of our five projected starting OL injured and not playing; with a first year transfer QB and new OC. Leonard absolutely stunk for much of the first half, as did much of the play of our OL. Both settled in and delivered a solid 25 pt win. IMO, This was Leonard’s best passing game after a horrendous start. Great to see several downfield passes, and Leonard might have really good passing numbers and multiple passing td’s if not for the pass interference calls.
So, progress, albeit ugly progress. We’re getting far enough into the season, with four games under our belt, where we should expect better play by the OL and Leonard, and much improved execution by our offense. Next week’s game against Louisville will dictate whether I jump on Ski’s rickety bandwagon, or continue to keep my hopeful feet firmly planted on the ground.
This. Louisville will be Freeman’s Waterloo or safety net.
If he wins, he still needs to win out to atone for niu.

That’s pressure. And Leonard flat out sux. Look at a real passing attack. Key word - attack. Check out the Tennessee qb. The receivers flat out sprint. No corner is going to make a play on that route and Nico throws darts that lead the receiver perfectly. Leonard is incapable of doing that. He sux

Last edited:

That’s pressure. And Leonard flat out sux. Look at a real passing attack. Key word - attack. Check out the Tennessee qb. The receivers flat out sprint. No corner is going to make a play on that route and Nico throws darts that lead the receiver perfectly. Leonard is inc as table of doing that. He sux
He's awesome. But he also has 121 yards and 2 turnovers. So he's not playing great.

Also, how is Arnold playing?

You are a clown.
Validation is sweet. Does not get better than this. I’ll take clown all season long. You take losses to Louisville SC and no playoffs

And this team is capable of winning in playoffs but is being held back by freeman n Leonard.

That’s pressure. And Leonard flat out sux. Look at a real passing attack. Key word - attack. Check out the Tennessee qb. The receivers flat out sprint. No corner is going to make a play on that route and Nico throws darts that lead the receiver perfectly. Leonard is inc as table of doing that. He sux
He may suck in your eye test, but he accounts for a bucket load of offensive yardage both running and passing. If your favorite quarterback had accounted for the rushing and passing yards that Leonard accounted for today you would be crowing like a rooster.

Haven't been following the last couple pages in this thread because the title was ridiculous but wanted to post some thoughts on Re Marcus Freeman Hire (this was actually a reply i posted in another thread in response to ND being a 10 point favorite vs Louisville) but its more related to this topic here.

Anyway, F+ has ND as the 8th best team in the country with the 6th best defense prior to their 25 point blowout of Miami-OH. The on the field annihilation of Purdue turned ND into the best 1-loss team in the country (EVEN WITH THE LOSS COMING TO LOWLY NIU) in the eyes of the F+ system.

That's why you will hear me harping on the recruiting/talent but rarely on the coaching. The player development has been fantastic going back to the start of the Brian Kelly era, and Marcus Freeman in his 2.25 years hasn't shown any sign of drop off so far in that regard

We still need more time to determine if its Marcus Freemans development that is working or if the culture that BK built up here over the span of a decade and then left behind is still largely in play. Also worth considering is that ND is now able to patch up their holes on the roster with incoming player transfers in the TP and NIL in a way ND wasn't able to in the pre transfer portal era.

The good thing about having good player development is that it scales to the recruiting trail. Players want to play for coaching staffs that have excellent track record developing players.

ND just has to do their part from the admin level to make sure they are pouring as many resources as they can possibly handle into the talent acquisition side of their football operations.

THE LOW HANGING FRUIT FROM A FOOTBALL OPERATIONS STANDPOINT IS CLOSING THE TALENT GAP BETWEEN ND AND THE TIER 1. THAT SHOULD BE PRIORITY 1 / S TIER / IMMEDIATE FIRE IN THE ORGANIZATION THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN PUT OUT ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO. THE TIER 1 TALENT GAP CANT CONTINUE TO BE SOMETHING THAT IS "AN ISSUE WE'LL ADDRESS WHEN WE GET AROUND TO IT" KIND OF THING.

Last edited:
Validation is sweet. Does not get better than this. I’ll take clown all season long. You take losses to Louisville SC and no playoffs

And this team is capable of winning in playoffs but is being held back by freeman n Leonard.
How about the OL and Sp teams and stopping the run ?

It goes into the record books but that was BKs team and not a normal spot for game 1 as a head coach. So put it in the record books

But he's 22 and 8 as a real head coach of Notre Dame. Have to win more games. 73% isn't good enough here
If Notre Dame beats Oklahoma St. in the bowl game you would say Marcus Freeman is 23-8.

Reactions: NDinNJ
If Notre Dame beats Oklahoma St. in the bowl game you would say Marcus Freeman is 23-8.
It will go on his record but it's not part of his evaluation as a real head coach. It wasn't his staff and he didn't have a full staff. It wasn't his team.

He's 22 and 8 as a real head coach. Needs to win more

I really like freeman but his lack of spine when it comes to making adjustments is horrible. LR should have been benched at end of 1st quarter
I think coaches are prone to benching their starters way too quickly and I like the patience MF showed today by sticking with Riley Leonard. Ultimately RL went on to deliver a 2.5 very productive quarters to finish the ball game. He was the offensive MVP in the 2nd half.

who would you like to see as coach? and their record is?

I have no idea of current coaches.

🤷

I wish ND can get somebody of the caliber of Saban and Harbaugh when they were in college football. At least get a proven HC. Freeman was a long shot, not unlike previous ND coaches with little to no experience.

I’ll of course see out the season before making a conclusion. But I doubt Freeman can be very successful. You never know. We will see.

I will take 16 for 25 with no interceptions and 2 running TD's every Saturday.
I would add the caveat (against playoff caliber teams)

This Miami OH team was ranked in the mid 90s out of 130 FBS teams. Although their defense is ranked a respectable 43rd.

We need somebody to pass the ball efficiently, not a 3rd running back.
Consider just how little time this offensive unit has had to gel at all position groups. Are there presently ANY players getting considerable 1st team burn on offense that were here last season outside of the RB position ?

Its been a blessing that our schedule has been so poor through 4 games. The first quarter of the season has basically been an extension of fall camp in many ways (outside of TAMU).

I think with constant reps/experience/games played/practices the offensive passing game will get more efficient. Our offensive skill positions are the weak link on the team no doubt about it, but I just dont think they are THIS bad and that we're presently seeing the worst of it.

Not to mention Mike Denbrock has a recently great track record coordinating offenses and I think a mega tenured coach like Denbrock will figure it out.

Last edited:
Having a running QB is very effective. And he's throwing 64%. We'll be fine
What does fine mean? Losing to NIU and needing to win out? 64% is atrocious given 90% of the balls he throws are under 10 yards. He blatantly missed numerous open 8 yard routes. Can you imagine if Leonard lined up against a good team today, UGA/Bama? This team will lose two more with RL at the helm, that’s not fine

Consider just how little time this offensive unit has had to gel at all position groups. Are there presently ANY players getting considerable 1st team burn on offense that were here last season outside of the RB position ?

Its been a blessing that our schedule has been so poor through 4 games. The first quarter of the season has basically been an extension of fall camp in many ways (outside of TAMU).

I think with constant reps/experience/games played/practices the offensive passing game will get more efficient. Our offensive skill positions are the weak link on the team, but I just dont think they are THIS bad and that we're seeing the worst of it.
Doesn’t appear to be a timing issue at QB, rather a confidence one

I think with constant reps/experience/games played/practices the offensive passing game will get more efficient. Our offensive skill positions are the weak link on the team, but I just dont think they are THIS bad and that we're seeing the worst of it.
We have no idea how good our skill positions are, nobody can get them the ball. They’ve been open

What does fine mean? Losing to NIU and needing to win out? 64% is atrocious given 90% of the balls he throws are under 10 yards. He blatantly missed numerous open 8 yard routes. Can you imagine if Leonard lined up against a good team today, UGA/Bama? This team will lose two more with RL at the helm, that’s not fine
We'll see.

We have no idea how good our skill positions are, nobody can get them the ball. They’ve been open

I include the QB as an offensive skill position, but it's hard to just use blanket statement "skill positions" because the RB position is emerging and the offensive line has lost 3 starters. It's hard to pinpoint the strengths and weaknesses on the offense right now, I just think it will get better with more time. Especially the passing game.

With his ypa he should be 80 percent.
Exactly, any pass play under 10 yards is high percentage, 80-90%. If he's 64% that's terrible.

Miami OH had 8 lined up in the box most of the game, ND just had way more talent and simply beat them on talent. When ND goes up against a team with comparable talent, those running lanes won't be there for Leonard, Love, or Price. The 5 yard outs will no longer be effective, as they dare ND throw it over the top. That's going to be an interesting game to see how the offense responds.

They'll point to Texas A&M, but their D is not that great, they just gave up 20 points to a Bowling Green offense that's ranked 111th.

Reactions: KYExtemper
He's never going to be that type of qb. He's a serious running threat. When we use him properly and if he can continue to improve, this offense will look really good. Denbrock needs to stop starting the game trying to have him be a drop back passer. He's a dual threat qb. Use him like one

Yeah we need a offense that suits the personal as they are, not what fans or coaches wish they were.

Exactly, any pass play under 10 yards is high percentage, 80-90%. If he's 64% that's terrible.

Miami OH had 8 lined up in the box most of the game, ND just had way more talent and simply beat them on talent. When ND goes up against a team with comparable talent, those running lanes won't be there for Leonard, Love, or Price. The 5 yard outs will no longer be effective, as they dare ND throw it over the top. That's going to be an interesting game to see how the offense responds.

They'll point to Texas A&M, but their D is not that great, they just gave up 20 points to a Bowling Green offense that's ranked 111th.
Riley sucks

He's never going to be that type of qb. He's a serious running threat. When we use him properly and if he can continue to improve, this offense will look really good. Denbrock needs to stop starting the game trying to have him be a drop back passer. He's a dual threat qb. Use him like one
You told us all off season the interior DL was going to be just fine..I had my doubts
Mel also told us RL was awesome and first round material.

Angeli can.
He threw a rocket on his rush evading bail out running pass...

#10 can't catch even with the million dollar gloves.
But I bet he thinks he looks good with the 4 towels, pants above the knees, and one sleeve. *
Not sure if he had the sleeve.

I think coaches are prone to benching their starters way too quickly and I like the patience MF showed today by sticking with Riley Leonard. Ultimately RL went on to deliver a 2.5 very productive quarters to finish the ball game. He was the offensive MVP in the 2nd half.
Uuhh...
Against a team now 0-3...
Last week was against a defense making their case to be the worst tackling team in the history of college football.
Riley sucks

And he was miami mvp in the first half

Reactions: NDinNJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT