ADVERTISEMENT

First Time Head Coaches = Inconsistency

IrishExpert2288

Shakes Down The Thunder
Sep 10, 2023
ND in my lifetime has hired 4 first time Head Coaches and all of them have done basically the same thing. They have the ability to win some big games but 2-3 times a year they will throw in complete stink jobs.

Ara had 2 unbeaten regular seasons (66,73)
Lou went 12-0 in 1988 and then was 11-0 in 1989 for a 23 game winning streak, then won 18 in a row from 1992 to 1993
Devine won 10 in a row in 1977, which lead to a National Championship in 1977
Kelly had 3 undefeated regular seasons 12-0, 12-0, and 10-0 (Don't talk to me about a soft schedule, because this years schedule is a joke and we are 1-1)

Add up the 5 years of Faust, 5 years of Davie, 5 years of Weis and 2 years and 3 games of Freeman (17 seasons and 3 games)
What is the longest winning streak?
Find me ONE SEASON where ND did not end up with at least 3 LOSSES?

The longest winning streak was
Davie 1998 ( 8 games and that season ended with 2 humiliating losses and 3 overall losses)
Weis 2006 ( 8 games and that season endied with 2 humiliating losses and 3 overall losses)

What is Freemans longest winning streak? 5 games? If Freeman does not win the next 10 in a row, vs this trash schedule then it is pretty apparent that those of us who wanted Fickell were 1000% correct.

You are right about the inconsistency. Therefore, we shouldn't be that surprised that we played well enough to win in the pressure cooker that was Texas A&M and somehow played a complete turd of a game against a team we should have blown right out of the stadium.

But the inconsistency extends to our fans as well. Last week, people were getting ready to anoint Freeman as the next chosen one. This week, they want him kicked to the curb.

I would recommend that everyone take a double dose of their chill pills because Freeman isn't going anywhere in the immediate future, Riley Leonard will most likely start this week, and the offensive line will continue to struggle.

I've learned to walk away from the TV and go hit tennis balls, go fishing, or even clean up the yard when I see a game unfolding like this one was last week. In this case, I accepted an invitation to go sailing, but kept checking for score updates on my phone. When I announced that ND had lost, there was nary a shrug among the people on the boat, who were all ND fans. They were having too much fun out in the fresh air.

ND in my lifetime has hired 4 first time Head Coaches and all of them have done basically the same thing. They have the ability to win some big games but 2-3 times a year they will throw in complete stink jobs.

Lou went 12-0 in 1988 and then was 11-0 in 1989 for a 23 game winning streak, then won 18 in a row from 1992 to 1993
Kelly had 3 undefeated regular seasons 12-0, 12-0, and 10-0 (Don't talk to me about a soft schedule, because this years schedule is a joke and we are 1-1)

Add up the 5 years of Faust, 5 years of Davie, 5 years of Weis and 2 years and 3 games of Freeman (17 seasons and 3 games)

Davie 1998 ( 8 games and that season ended with 2 humiliating losses and 3 overall losses)
Weis 2006 ( 8 games and that season endied with 2 humiliating losses and 3 overall losses)

What is Freemans longest winning streak? 5 games? If Freeman does not win the next 10 in a row, vs this trash schedule then it is pretty apparent that those of us who wanted Fickell were 1000% correct.
You left out Ty Willingham. 😂

Regarding the fans. Personally I have watched several different ND shows/podcasts talking about how talented this team is. All this leading up to the start of the season. Everyone basically said this was a playoff team and some said a potential to play in the national championship. Heck even Kirbstreet said after the A&M game , ND looked different than years past. So when you lose at home as a 28 point favorite, it’s very shocking. Now with that said , had the talk before the season been tempered by saying ND has a lot of new faces playing and coaches, it might take time to gel. That would be truthful. Maybe a 10 point favorite over NIU was more realistic. This team may or may not be good by the end of the year. I don’t know. Right now , they are a bad team. I feel we the fans were grossly misled by many so called ND Experts. So my expectations were very high. After watching 2 games , I know this team will be lucky to win 7 games. I can live with that. But I will no longer believe anything said about ND.

Reactions: HarlemIrish
Regarding the fans. Personally I have watched several different ND shows/podcasts talking about how talented this team is. All this leading up to the start of the season. Everyone basically said this was a playoff team and some said a potential to play in the national championship. Heck even Kirbstreet said after the A&M game , ND looked different than years past. So when you lose at home as a 28 point favorite, it’s very shocking. Now with that said , had the talk before the season been tempered by saying ND has a lot of new faces playing and coaches, it might take time to gel. That would be truthful. Maybe a 10 point favorite over NIU was more realistic. This team may or may not be good by the end of the year. I don’t know. Right now , they are a bad team. I feel we the fans were grossly misled by many so called ND Experts. So my expectations were very high. After watching 2 games , I know this team will be lucky to win 7 games. I can live with that. But I will no longer believe anything said about ND.
Spot on. That’s why I bailed on the old school Irish illustration paper & the premium boards. Not one trainer on the sidelines could tell Leonard Riley was hurt? Have you watched MLB games when all of a sudden the manager & trainer come running out. Professionals can tell the slightest hiccup in a throwing motion or maybe a grimace when the pitcher lands. TkIrish, this team & coach are done.

BRAVO.

That's the way to cut through first-time coach HOPIUM.

By using COLD-STEEL FACTS.

It separates STARRY-EYED DREAMERS from REALISTS.

FACTS MATTER.

And I'll go you one better -- Terry Brennan. Another fresh, Hallmark-card-type, first-time coaching HIRE.

These experiments have THUS FAR all ended in tears.

But your key point -- INCONSISTENCY -- is central to your argument.

Is it a BUG with Freeman or a FEATURE?

BY THE END OF THE YEAR, WE SHOULD KNOW.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT