ADVERTISEMENT

Finish The Notre Dame 2021 Recruiting Class

I know Boykin ran fast at the combine, but never thought he played that fast. Colzie looks fast and gets separation in his junior year film.

Try to get both

Obviously, you'd take both in an instant, but it's highly unlikely you get both of them. I'd settle for either + Mokiao-Atimalala.

My pecking order would be...

1. Thornton
2. Styles
3. Colzie
4. Mokiao-Atimalala
5. Thomas

But I'll take any four out of that group, especially considering I think Styles could be an All Conference caliber corner if he wanted to be. In a perfect world ND would land Colzie, Thornton, Thomas and Mokiao-Atimalala at WR this cycle and add Styles to an impressive CB haul of Barnes, Riley and Styles.

A major shot of depth and talent at both positions.

Last edited:
I know Boykin ran fast at the combine, but never thought he played that fast. Colzie looks fast and gets separation in his junior year film.

When you're 6'4+ with long arms, you don't need crazy separation, because your length and height advantage compounds for every yard of separation you have. When you're Will Fuller's size, you have to run by people. When you're Claypool or Boykin's size, you simply have to win by a step. If the quarterback puts the ball out in front of you, or high and away, it's all over for 99% of defensive backs.

As for Colzie, the substantial ranking differential between he and Boykin coming out of high school is a testament to him being much more advanced at the same age.

When you're 6'4+ with long arms, you don't need crazy separation, because your length and height advantage compounds for every yard of separation you have. When you're Will Fuller's size, you have to run by people. When you're Claypool or Boykin's size, you simply have to win by a step. If the quarterback puts the ball out in front of you, or high and away, it's all over for 99% of defensive backs.

As for Colzie, the substantial ranking differential between he and Boykin coming out of high school is a testament to him being much more advanced at the same age.
I see Colzie as a sr miles boykin his 2nd-3rd year
I see thornton as a sr Chase Claypool his 2nd-3rd year

One was good, one was dominant.

Over the next month or so there will be a lot of good recruiting news, like 4-5 top 200 players from the 2021 and 2022 classes. Some have already happened.
I think some people will be pleasantly surprised...

Over the next month or so there will be a lot of good recruiting news, like 4-5 top 200 players from the 2021 and 2022 classes. Some have already happened.
Colzie, Scrauth, Thomas would be 3 of my guesses.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Obviously, you'd take both in an instant, but it's highly unlikely you get both of them. I'd settle for either + Mokiao-Atimalala.

My pecking order would be...

1. Thornton
2. Styles
3. Colzie
4. Mokiao-Atimalala
5. Thomas

But I'll take any four out of that group, especially considering I think Styles could be an All Conference caliber corner if he wanted to be. In a perfect world ND would land Colzie, Thornton, Thomas and Mokiao-Atimalala at WR this cycle and add Styles to an impressive CB haul of Barnes, Riley and Styles.

A major shot of depth and talent at both positions.
I agree with that order.

I take all 5 knowing Altimala will likely move to safety as his best spot. Take all 5 and let the best man win at each spot

Reactions: IrishMike409

I don't think anyone should be at all surprised, really. The guys ND is going to land / have already landed are the names most ND fans already know and expect.

A pleasant surprise out of the 2021 class would be Wyatt Millum, Garrett Dellinger or Caleb Johnson flipping, or the commitment of Ceyair Wright, Donte Thornton and Donovan Edwards, all of which are unexpected at this point.

A pleasent surprise for 2022 would be the commitment of a couple of needle movers. A lot of people expect a Billy Schrauth , Steven Angeli, Ty Chan, etc... Now tell me that Kaleb Brown, Tyler Morris, William Johnson, Tyson Ford, Wilfredo Aybar, Nick Singleton, Gavin Sawchuk, Caleb Burton, Luther Burden, Zach Rice, Gunner Givens, Jacob Allen, Dani Denis-Sutton, Jalon Walker, Tevarua Tafiti, Sebastien Cheeks, Fabian Ross, or Isaac Thompson are about to pop for Notre Dame and that's something to be pleasantly surprised about.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
I see Colzie as a sr miles boykin his 2nd-3rd year
I see thornton as a sr Chase Claypool his 2nd-3rd year

One was good, one was dominant.

IMO, Thornton is not Claypool. The only reason Chase Claypool took as long as he did to develop is that he faced bad competition in high school and received average development, playing in a "meh" league in Canada. That guy is an absolute freak of nature though. 6'4 1/2, 238lbs at the NFL combine, and ran 4.42. Legitimate Calvin type numbers. Guys that size just don't move like that. Period. Thornton will never be close to that big or powerful, and I would be shocked if he runs as fast as Claypool either. What a lot of people don't realize is that the only thing that held Claypool to 1037 receiving and 13 touchdowns last year, was Ian Book's limitations with the deep ball. Claypool was uncoverable on deep, high, downfield throws... If a guy like Jimmy Clausen, who was superb with the deep ball, had been the starting QB (not a slight at Ian Book, deep balls just aren't his thing) Claypool could have threatened for 1500 yards and had as many touchdowns as ND was willing to throw his way.

I love Thornton and I really like Colzie, but Chase Claypool was an extremely rare specimen, at any level, and it's not likely we see a guy like that at ND for a long time. To put it into perspective, he was the same weight as ND's stud TE, Tommy Tremble, he was 1 1/4 inches taller and would flat shred Tremble in a foot race.

It's not a surprise that Claypool absolutely killed it in Steelers camp as a rookie. He'll be a major target for them and will be among the best blocking WR in the NFL in short order. His 2nd round draft status was a testament to how ridiculous the top end WR talent was in this recent NFL Draft.

I don't think anyone should be at all surprised, really. The guys ND is going to land / have already landed are the names most ND fans already know and expect.

A pleasant surprise out of the 2021 class would be Wyatt Millum, Garrett Dellinger or Caleb Johnson flipping, or the commitment of Ceyair Wright, Donte Thornton and Donovan Edwards, all of which are unexpected at this point.

A pleasent surprise for 2022 would be the commitment of a couple of needle movers. A lot of people expect a Billy Schrauth , Steven Angeli, Ty Chan, etc... Now tell me that Kaleb Brown, Tyler Morris, William Johnson, Tyson Ford, Wilfredo Aybar, Nick Singleton, Gavin Sawchuk, Caleb Burton, Luther Burden, Zach Rice, Gunner Givens, Jacob Allen, Dani Denis-Sutton, Jalon Walker, Tevarua Tafiti, Sebastien Cheeks, Fabian Ross, or Isaac Thompson are about to pop for Notre Dame and that's something to be pleasantly surprised about.
I was one of the few who gave us a good shot with Colzie. That will be a pleasant surprise for most others.

I still think we have at least a decent shot with Johnson and Thornton.

IMO, Thornton is not Claypool. The only reason Chase Claypool took as long as he did to develop is that he faced bad competition in high school and received average development, playing in a "meh" league in Canada. That guy is an absolute freak of nature though. 6'4 1/2, 238lbs at the NFL combine, and ran 4.42. Legitimate Calvin type numbers. Guys that size just don't move like that. Period. Thornton will never be close to that big or powerful, and I would be shocked if he runs as fast as Claypool either. What a lot of people don't realize is that the only thing that held Claypool to 1037 receiving and 13 touchdowns last year, was Ian Book's limitations with the deep ball. Claypool was uncoverable on deep, high, downfield throws... If a guy like Jimmy Clausen, who was superb with the deep ball, had been the starting QB (not a slight at Ian Book, deep balls just aren't his thing) Claypool could have threatened for 1500 yards and had as many touchdowns as ND was willing to throw his way.

I love Thornton and I really like Colzie, but Chase Claypool was an extremely rare specimen, at any level, and it's not likely we see a guy like that at ND for a long time. To put it into perspective, he was the same weight as ND's stud TE, Tommy Tremble, he was 1 1/4 inches taller and would flat shred Tremble in a foot race.

It's not a surprise that Claypool absolutely killed it in Steelers camp as a rookie. He'll be a major target for them and will be among the best blocking WR in the NFL in short order. His 2nd round draft status was a testament to how ridiculous the top end WR talent was in this recent NFL Draft.
agree, may never have a WR at ND with the size, speed, strength of claypool.

I was talking more impact/stats. Both colzie and thornton are more prepared for college than boykin and claypool were at this time.

I think colzie is going to be a good college player, I think Thornton could be a really good college player.

Not saying at all they are exactly like boykin and claypool, they aren't, but more on their impact. Thornton has more talent than colzie IMHO similar to claypool over boykin.

I still think you work for the C.I.A.! Lol

Well, like I said, pleasantly surprised. Some are the “needle movers” you listed above. One of the ones you listed is already committed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT