ADVERTISEMENT

Finish The Notre Dame 2021 Recruiting Class

I wonder how long NC will be on suspension, when all the recruiting success is eventually explained !

He was not good. Inaccurate all day. Overthrew receivers, didn't throw with tremendous velocity and even when throwing to stationary targets, he was off the mark.... ISD has video up of nearly all of his throws.

It's one day. I'm certainly not going to lose my mind about it, but between his odd mechanics, average height / velocity and his surprising inaccuracy, I was disappointed. Hopefully he is better today.

I saw the FULL-SIZE workout & he was VERY accurate early. He didn’t overthrow all night.

They just released the Day 2 rankings (which includes last night)....

Tyler Buchner #2

Buchner was ranked 17th out of 20. NOT GOOD.

I actually thought no way he's going to have the same issue as Phil, but here we go again. Another super athlete that struggles to throw a spiral.

I am not down on him yet, but my high hopes are gone. We'll see, but definitely a disappointing day 1.

He wasn’t ranked #17. That was a random ranking by someone really far away who couldn’t see crap & was a horrible judge of what was happening.
The people in the stands are so far away they can’t see anything the way it’s setup. Especially what they film.
I saw the field film (from the elite 11) and Tyler was really good.
Go figure he is #2 right now...LOL

Reactions: Golson5
This is a really good point. BK has his team wound up so damn tight that a big personality and risk taker like a Manziel probably would have never seen the field for daring to run off script and use his athletic gifts to make a play.

BK is one of those old school militant/control freak/throwback coaches that the rest of college football moved on from ages ago (kind of like a Nick Saban) but without the upside/rings.

Coaches in college football are getting younger and younger and relating to teenage athletes more and more (politically, culturally, etc.)

The days of a bear bryant coaching style "rub some dirt on it you piss ant" is a thing of the past. Nobody wants to play for coaches like that anymore.
Really stupid post.

Buchner’s standing at #2 was not based upon day 1 performance.
Read the criteria for evaluation.

Buchner’s standing at #2 was not based upon day 1 performance.
Read the criteria for evaluation.

It’s based on a combination of Day 1 & their Junior year performance.
They have made that very clear. That’s why it’s “Day 2” rankings, it includes Day 1.
I’m watching it live right now.

Last edited:
Tyler just went for his pro day (20 throws).
Scored a 35, which will probably finish top 10.

He was the opposite of yesterday. Tonight he was nervous at the beginning, had a low score to start, then the second 10 throws he flipped a switch & was throwing great passes which helped him climb up to the 35. If he started solid he easily would have been over 40 & top 3. But at least he picked it up the second half.

S.I. observers:
“9:16 pm - Tyler Buchner, Notre Dame commitment, started off much like where he left off yesterday - with room for improvement. His timing looked better as the workout wore on and the intermediate accuracy followed.”

Not sure they are any more reliable than the ND fan.

In hearing descriptions of the players, velocity was mentioned when present. TB seems to be more adaptive to the intermediate routes. Day 1, The observers stated he did not flash the velocity that the top group did. He still has workouts to show & change their minds. This is not a regional, the top group nationally are on display. If TB’s arsenal has the downfield power/velocity he has yet to show it. ND fans want to see that deep ball!

Last edited:
His game is more styled after recent Oklahoma QB’s.
Pyne resembles the kind of QB that fits BK’s comfort zone.
But, a Kyler Murray or Mayfield, would have probably gotten benched!
kyler murray and mayfield have no issues throwing a spiral, and they have strong arms.

Buchner’s arm is better than adequate.

Last edited:
I wonder how long NC will be on suspension, when all the recruiting success is eventually explained !
This is loser thinking. Mack has a record of being a great recruiter. No history of issues or infractions but yes becuse Mack is killing it in recruiting the default is that they cheating.

This is loser thinking. Mack has a record of being a great recruiter. No history of issues or infractions but yes becuse Mack is killing it in recruiting the default is that they cheating.
It's a little fishy. I will say that it's a great school/area, and talent is increasing in NC.

It's a little fishy. I will say that it's a great school/area, and talent is increasing in NC.
Its fishy that Mack, who has a history in North Carolina came in with a solid staff and put a fence around the state? He isn't getting dudes from all over the Country, 90% of his class is from in state. That what he did at UNC the first time around and that is what he did at UT for all those years. The mindset of "they are cheating" because they are killing it in recruiting is dumb.

Reactions: mirer03

Great area maybe, their academics is a joke based on what they allowed athletes to get away with for years and the NCAA gave them a pass on because they offered the class to non-athletes also.

Nothing not to like about UNC if you take a visit.

It's a place they let slip because they had the wrong HC's and it's first and always a Hoop school but they should always bring in good classes based on geography and the fact is it's a drop dead gorgeous campus.

Dre Bly killing it for them on the recruiting trail .

Sharp guy who relates well to kids and is an alum with a Super Bowl Ring.

Brown was a good recruiter but that was University of Texas. I mean by the end of his tenure the Horns expected beatdowns from the 2*s of Baylor

Just read that Williams wins MVP

Final rankings has TB at 19.

Last edited:
Brown was a good recruiter but that was University of Texas. I mean by the end of his tenure the Horns expected beatdowns from the 2*s of Baylor
I think Mack is an above average but not top tier coach but he can and does recruit. He in his past has always protected his home turf and that is what is happening at UNC. Their turf is being locked up. It’s not that surprising.

kyler murray and mayfield have no issues throwing a spiral, and they have strong arms.

Buchner at the E-11, trying to make sense of it and looking at his prior game video and video of camp experiences it is clear he has big time talent but had a really bad 3 -4 days. Kid is still a top 6 duel threat QB. He may lose 5* status but will be at minimum, RR 6.0 and 96+ composite; that is an expected starter.

I think Mack is an above average but not top tier coach but he can and does recruit. He in his past has always protected his home turf and that is what is happening at UNC. Their turf is being locked up. It’s not that surprising.
He has won a NC. I’d say he is top tier coach.

Reactions: echochamber
15 years ago is a long time.

OK. Versus none in what, 11 years? Give me a break. The guy can coach and recruit. I'd rather have one national title in the last 15 years than none since 1988. The name Vince Young still might register with some of today's college recruits. Who is going to know about Tony Rice? Rocket Ismail? Ricky Watters? All ND greats but not relevant in the minds of today's recruits.

Yes Vince Young could register with many of today's young athletes.

Especially if they read police blotters and bankruptcy websites.

Give me your best guess, as of now, how the ND recruiting class will finish.

RB: ?
OT: Joe Alt (3 star)
OG: Rocco Spindler (4 star)
WR: Jayden Thomas (4 star)
TE: Mitchell Evans (3 star)
CB: Chance Tucker (3 star)
S: Titus Mokiao-Atimalala (4 star)
Rover: ?

That finish will have ND right in the 255 point range, in line with their 251.45 class they landed last year. Likely good for a class ranked between #13-#17 range.
Hopefully Kollie and Tavierre Dunlap. Think Diggs is a USC lean.

Hopefully Kollie and Tavierre Dunlap. Think Diggs is a USC lean.

Dunlap or Martin at RB would be acceptable, IMO. I just want a kid who plays RB in high school, is at least 5'10, has the frame to be 205lbs+ and runs sub 10.9 seconds in the 100m. Tons of good RB's out there. A lot of high schools still play their best player at RB so there are literally dozens in every class that can wind up being good players, regardless of ranking. It's a strange position in that sense.

Among the 20 leading rushers in the NCAA in 2019, only 3 (Etienne, Dobbins and Bowden Jr) were ranked 4 stars or higher coming out of high school. The other 17 were a smattering of 2 and 3 star guys, including a quartet you may have heard of in Jonathan Taylor, A.J. Dillon, Clyde Edwards-Hellaire and Zack Moss.

Reactions: VTND
OK. Versus none in what, 11 years? Give me a break. The guy can coach and recruit. I'd rather have one national title in the last 15 years than none since 1988. The name Vince Young still might register with some of today's college recruits. Who is going to know about Tony Rice? Rocket Ismail? Ricky Watters? All ND greats but not relevant in the minds of today's recruits.
Yes we agree winning a national title more recently then 1988 is better then not. None of that makes Mack Brown a top tier coach right now, I have been saying throughout the thread he can recruit.

Dunlap or Martin at RB would be acceptable, IMO. I just want a kid who plays RB in high school, is at least 5'10, has the frame to be 205lbs+ and runs sub 10.9 seconds in the 100m. Tons of good RB's out there. A lot of high schools still play their best player at RB so there are literally dozens in every class that can wind up being good players, regardless of ranking. It's a strange position in that sense.

Among the 20 leading rushers in the NCAA in 2019, only 3 (Etienne, Dobbins and Bowden Jr) were ranked 4 stars or higher coming out of high school. The other 17 were a smattering of 2 and 3 star guys, including a quartet you may have heard of in Jonathan Taylor, A.J. Dillon, Clyde Edwards-Hellaire and Zack Moss.

I just don’t understand why we haven’t offered guys like Byron Cardwell and maybe tried to flip mar’keise Irving from Minnesota who is in ND’s backyard? They have offers from schools that have similar academic standards as ND so it can’t be about that. It seems like the staff is overly picky on what they are looking for.

I just don’t understand why we haven’t offered guys like Byron Cardwell and maybe tried to flip mar’keise Irving from Minnesota who is in ND’s backyard? They have offers from schools that have similar academic standards as ND so it can’t be about that. It seems like the staff is overly picky on what they are looking for.
Maybe they don't qualify? I took a look at Irving and like his film. He'd be a good get.

It's my understanding this is supposed to be a small class (under 20). With that said, I'd focus on trying to get commits from P. Kollie, R. Spindler, MTA, C. Wright, and J. Thomas. I have no idea how realistic ND's chances are with those, but it's my understanding they're the best prospects in the mix at this point. Play out the season and hope we finish with at least 11 wins and then save the remaining few spots for any big fish we can potentially get or flip such as N. Rucci, L. Tengwall, D. Colzie, D. Thronton, D. Edwards, W. Shipley, B. Carter, etc. If ND could get the guys from the first group mentioned and finish with 1-2 of the guys from the last group, I'd feel pretty good about the class.

If there is no HS football this year. What does that do for recruiting? More three stars that don't get a chance to improve on the field may lead to some project recruits.

Interesting. Loy (who certainly could be wrong) thinks Diggs is going to USC.

Running back, if we're being honest, has been a complete debacle this cycle. They went all in on Will Shipley, without a backup plan. They tried to convince Prophet Brown that he could play RB and he's not coming either. They were waaaaaaayyyy too late in getting in on LJ Johnson and they stopped recruiting Donovan Edwards and Corey Kiner for half the cycle.

Prince Kollie is a kid that ND has a shot at, but I'm not getting my Hope's up when a lif has a final 5 of LSU, Georgia, Notre Dame, Louisville and Oklahoma. One of those schools is very much not like the other. Hopefully they can convince him that he can be the next JOK.
Looks like Diggs to ND as of now. Just had a feeling reading the way he talked about ND and his priorities

I still think Kollie to ND as well

Looks like Diggs to ND as of now. Just had a feeling reading the way he talked about ND and his priorities

I still think Kollie to ND as well
Diggs and Kollie would be great. I like Diggs and personally think he's better than his 3 star ranking. Reminds me of theo Riddick but bigger/stronger/more physical. Just doesn't have that blazing home run speed.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Diggs and Kollie would be great. I like Diggs and personally think he's better than his 3 star ranking. Reminds me of theo Riddick but bigger/stronger/more physical. Just doesn't have that blazing home run speed.
Riddick was damn good. Reliable and just solid. Would love 2.0 in Diggs.

If ND were still in the mix for him I seriously doubt Joe Alt would have an ND offer. At this point i think it's Spindler or bust for the o-line recruiting.
Land Spindler. Then go all out to land 1 of Rucci, Milium, Delinger. Pull the full court press and use Blake/Spindler to try to land/flip one of them.

Landing Spindler and getting one of those 4 would be a homerun on the OL. It's unlikely but possible. Blake/Spindler can be a key recruiting tag team

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT