ADVERTISEMENT

Finish The Notre Dame 2021 Recruiting Class

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
Give me your best guess, as of now, how the ND recruiting class will finish.

RB: ?
OT: Joe Alt (3 star)
OG: Rocco Spindler (4 star)
WR: Jayden Thomas (4 star)
TE: Mitchell Evans (3 star)
CB: Chance Tucker (3 star)
S: Titus Mokiao-Atimalala (4 star)
Rover: ?

That finish will have ND right in the 255 point range, in line with their 251.45 class they landed last year. Likely good for a class ranked between #13-#17 range.

Last edited:
Anybody else starting to recognize we're going from 10-15th to 13-17th ranked classes in recent years -- is recruiting actually getting worse/declining here?

That finish will have ND right in the 255 point range, in line with their 251.45 class they landed last year. Likely good for a class ranked between #13-#17 range.
Logan Diggs at rb. Prince Kollie at rover

Reactions: IrishMike409

ND has been around 9-12 for a few years and has actually played slightly higher than it’s recruiting class rankings which is due to the fine coaches now assembled.

Reactions: IrishMike409

I think Spindler is the best bet on that list. I think they take an RB for depth. Not sure it will be Alt or someone else.

BK’s recruiting ranking I feel averages 10-12. This year might be a tougher year with no onsite visits and guys possibly wanting to play closer to home 15-17.

Anybody else starting to recognize we're going from 10-15th to 13-17th ranked classes in recent years -- is recruiting actually getting worse/declining here?

ND might not even take 20, but probably 20 at most, so they won’t break top 10 doing that. Last year they took only 17 (after the Bartleson incident). ND’s current Star talent rating is top 5-6 though, which is what I care about. If ND took a crap load of 3 Stars & took 25-28 kids (like a lot of programs), they would easily be top 10 every year. But they don’t do that & that’s why they beat most teams above them in recruiting rankings.

Logan Diggs at rb. Prince Kollie at rover

Interesting. Loy (who certainly could be wrong) thinks Diggs is going to USC.

Running back, if we're being honest, has been a complete debacle this cycle. They went all in on Will Shipley, without a backup plan. They tried to convince Prophet Brown that he could play RB and he's not coming either. They were waaaaaaayyyy too late in getting in on LJ Johnson and they stopped recruiting Donovan Edwards and Corey Kiner for half the cycle.

Prince Kollie is a kid that ND has a shot at, but I'm not getting my Hope's up when a lif has a final 5 of LSU, Georgia, Notre Dame, Louisville and Oklahoma. One of those schools is very much not like the other. Hopefully they can convince him that he can be the next JOK.

Interesting. Loy (who certainly could be wrong) thinks Diggs is going to USC.

Running back, if we're being honest, has been a complete debacle this cycle. They went all in on Will Shipley, without a backup plan. They tried to convince Prophet Brown that he could play RB and he's not coming either. They were waaaaaaayyyy too late in getting in on LJ Johnson and they stopped recruiting Donovan Edwards and Corey Kiner for half the cycle.

Prince Kollie is a kid that ND has a shot at, but I'm not getting my Hope's up when a lif has a final 5 of LSU, Georgia, Notre Dame, Louisville and Oklahoma. One of those schools is very much not like the other. Hopefully they can convince him that he can be the next JOK.

USC once RB U is struggling recruiting at the position (among other positions)
They are targeting kids they would not have given any attention to before the Helton era.

USC once RB U is struggling recruiting at the position (among other positions)
They are targeting kids they would not have given any attention to before the Helton era.

USC has Clay Helton as a head coach and is a combined 42-24 over the last 5 years, with a ton of staff turnover and the looming threat that their HC could be fired at any moment. Their recruiting in general has fallen off, because they have been terrible in recent years (by their standards). It's not just the running back position.

USC has Clay Helton as a head coach and is a combined 42-24 over the last 5 years, with a ton of staff turnover and the looming threat that their HC could be fired at any moment. Their recruiting in general has fallen off, because they have been terrible in recent years (by their standards). It's not just the running back position.

yep, a real clusterf’n across the board except for maybe WR.

SC is really victimized by having Helton hang on! But they lucked out, his contract may expire before they play another game!

Last edited:

I think you might hit 100% with these selections. Really want to get Spindler, Alt and Mokiao-Atimalala. Spindler is probably the most critical. I love Alt as a project moving from TE in high school to OT In college, and his film shows a very good tenacious blocker with quick feet. Nokia’s-Atimalala is one hell of a football player and not sure if he ends up on offense as a WR or defense as a Safety or a Rover. Personally, hope we get him and he ends up on defense as the kid loves to hit. Evans is intriguing as hell, just based on size and positions played in high school. He could be the proverbial diamond in the rough. At this point, I would focus on adding a linebacker and another CB, and wouldn’t take another running back unless it was someone we love and have been in frequent contact; and not sure there is such a player right now. I like Diggs a lot, but everything I read suggests USC, etc...

I like the WR Christian Lewis a great deal but haven't heard much buzz on him.

Early on this class looked like it could be top 5 . Now we are hoping 10-15 range. That my friends is why ND will be hard pressed to win a championship under Kelly. It’s been that way his entire tenure. He is a very good coach. But without top end talent it’s extremely difficult to beat the elite teams. It’s mind boggling they can’t land an elite running back or an elite QB. It doesn’t matter what coaches come in or go out, it’s the same thing every cycle. They get a couple really great players and a lot of very good players and a few “ hopeful projects” . Kelly has done a very good job getting and keeping ND viable. However, if they want to get to the next level, the next coach needs to recruit top 5 classes every year and then coach them up. Otherwise , it will be more of the same. I’m happy they are much better off than before Kelly got to ND. He has done a very good job. I would like to believe the goal is still winning championships. There is always hope I guess.

Early on this class looked like it could be top 5 . Now we are hoping 10-15 range. That my friends is why ND will be hard pressed to win a championship under Kelly. It’s been that way his entire tenure. He is a very good coach. But without top end talent it’s extremely difficult to beat the elite teams. It’s mind boggling they can’t land an elite running back or an elite QB. It doesn’t matter what coaches come in or go out, it’s the same thing every cycle. They get a couple really great players and a lot of very good players and a few “ hopeful projects” . Kelly has done a very good job getting and keeping ND viable. However, if they want to get to the next level, the next coach needs to recruit top 5 classes every year and then coach them up. Otherwise , it will be more of the same. I’m happy they are much better off than before Kelly got to ND. He has done a very good job. I would like to believe the goal is still winning championships. There is always hope I guess.

They got an elite RB last year, and Buchner is elite.

They got an elite RB last year, and Buchner is elite.

if you are referring about Chris Tyree, he has elite speed by all accounts. However, I believe he is listed as an all purpose player, which I’m fine with. I would rather they get a true elite running back. Jonas Gray was a good back, not elite. Robert Hughes was a good back, not elite. Cierre Wood was close but not quite there. There are a few others in the close category. Buchner, he may be elite, time will tell.

Covid 19

if you are referring about Chris Tyree, he has elite speed by all accounts. However, I believe he is listed as an all purpose player, which I’m fine with. I would rather they get a true elite running back. Jonas Gray was a good back, not elite. Robert Hughes was a good back, not elite. Cierre Wood was close but not quite there. There are a few others in the close category. Buchner, he may be elite, time will tell.

Everyone likes Buchner, but he looks like so many other QBs, his competition was so weak, he is all eye candy as yet! We need to see him competing with his peers and in anger! real, or, not real ?

Everyone likes Buchner, but he looks like so many other QBs, his competition was so weak, he is all eye candy as yet! We need to see him competing with his peers and in anger! real, or, not real ?

He doesn’t look like all other QBs at all. That’s just silly.
And he went head to head with multiple other top 10 QBs & outperformed them at regional & national events.

He doesn’t look like all other QBs at all. That’s just silly.
And he went head to head with multiple other top 10 QBs & outperformed them at regional & national events.

The Elite 11 Finals are about to start. I think we'll get a very good indication of where he ranks in terms of arm talent compared to guys like Caled Williams, Brock Vandargriff, Drake Maye and Kyle McCord. Very excited to see Buchner compete in that setting.

He doesnt look like many other QBs. He looks elite. He was co mvp at rivals 5 star and then was mvp at the next thing they had.

The Elite 11 Finals are about to start. I think we'll get a very good indication of where he ranks in terms of arm talent compared to guys like Caled Williams, Brock Vandargriff, Drake Maye and Kyle McCord. Very excited to see Buchner compete in that setting.
His arm talent is only one aspect that makes him elite. His athleticism and ability to throw on the run are also reasons

knock on wood but our irish should be in good shape with a 2022 rb from Colorado who is one of the top 2022 players at his position with elite game breaking speed. can't think of his name at the moment but he grew up an irish fan and has said recently that he is trying to set up a visit in the future

He doesnt look like many other QBs. He looks elite. He was co mvp at rivals 5 star and then was mvp at the next thing they had.

We know that his legs are an assett. I really look forward to that. But, ultimately, his success at Notre Dame will be determined by his quality as a passer.

Reactions: d1042
We know that his legs are an assett. I really look forward to that. But, ultimately, his success at Notre Dame will be determined by his quality as a passer.
In our offense, both will be extremely important. I have no doubts about his arm talent

In our offense, both will be extremely important

Yep, but a great year for a running quarterback is 500-700 yards. A great passer can get you in excess of 4000 passing yards in a season. A guy that can make all the throws and is a 65% passer, or better, is paramount. Added running ability is awesome as well!

Yep, but a great year for a running quarterback is 500-700 yards. A great passer can get you in excess of 4000 passing yards in a season. A guy that can make all the throws and is a 65% passer, or better, is paramount. Added running ability is awesome as well!
Yeah. I have no doubt about his passing ability

Yeah. I have no doubt about his passing ability

Me either, really, but I want to see it confirmed in the Elite 11 setting. Both Brandon Wimbush and Phil Jurkovec could rip it in high school and suddenly forgot how to pass when they got to Notre Dame.

I don't expect that from Tyler, but I'm still curious to see how he stacks up against guys like Williams and Vandagriff.

interesting to compare Singer’s Elite 11 comments re Buchner’s day 1
compared to other assessment.

Anyone have any unbiased assessments of the QB’s after day 1?
(unbiased)

Reactions: embargolifted
interesting to compare Singer’s Elite 11 comments re Buchner’s day 1
compared to other assessment.

Anyone have any unbiased assessments of the QB’s after day 1?
(unbiased)

He was not good. Inaccurate all day. Overthrew receivers, didn't throw with tremendous velocity and even when throwing to stationary targets, he was off the mark.... ISD has video up of nearly all of his throws.

It's one day. I'm certainly not going to lose my mind about it, but between his odd mechanics, average height / velocity and his surprising inaccuracy, I was disappointed. Hopefully he is better today.

He was not good. Inaccurate all day. Overthrew receivers, didn't throw with tremendous velocity and even when throwing to stationary targets, he was off the mark.... ISD has video up of nearly all of his throws.

It's one day. I'm certainly not going to lose my mind about it, but between his odd mechanics, average height / velocity and his surprising inaccuracy, I was disappointed. Hopefully he is better today.

velocity is the thing when compared to the top 5
his niche seems the intermediate throws! ND fans gonna love that!
Pyne doesn’t look like a throw in now.

He definitely has a bit of Philip Rivers in his motion, kinda side arm.

You are 100% correct in that his throwing will ultimately decide how good he becomes and how good ND is. I will say this, and it's a bold statement. If he's not playing significantly from Day 1, ND is in trouble. When i say trouble, i mean, not likely to be a title contender. I love Pyne as a backup QB or starter with a team of Alabama talent. ND needs a dynamic QB to win it all.

Buchner looked not brutal but not great. It didn't look like he was trying to sling it, but also, he definitely was overthrowing a lot.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
He definitely has a bit of Philip Rivers in his motion, kinda side arm.

You are 100% correct in that his throwing will ultimately decide how good he becomes and how good ND is. I will say this, and it's a bold statement. If he's not playing significantly from Day 1, ND is in trouble. When i say trouble, i mean, not likely to be a title contender. I love Pyne as a backup QB or starter with a team of Alabama talent. ND needs a dynamic QB to win it all.

Buchner looked not brutal but not great. It didn't look like he was trying to sling it, but also, he definitely was overthrowing a lot.

Not sure how the tourney works, 20 kids, do they then decide on 11?

Buchner is on the cusp so far. If he fails to get in the final it will cost him a star!

As for Pyne, he is like Moss, just does everything right, if unspectacular!

Not sure how the tourney works, 20 kids, do they then decide on 11?

Buchner is on the cusp so far. If he fails to get in the final it will cost him a star!

As for Pyne, he is like Moss, just does everything right, if unspectacular!
Buchner was ranked 17th out of 20. NOT GOOD.

I actually thought no way he's going to have the same issue as Phil, but here we go again. Another super athlete that struggles to throw a spiral.

I am not down on him yet, but my high hopes are gone. We'll see, but definitely a disappointing day 1.

Buchner was ranked 17th out of 20. NOT GOOD.

I actually thought no way he's going to have the same issue as Phil, but here we go again. Another super athlete that struggles to throw a spiral.

I am not down on him yet, but my high hopes are gone. We'll see, but definitely a disappointing day 1.

His game is more styled after recent Oklahoma QB’s.
Pyne resembles the kind of QB that fits BK’s comfort zone.
But, a Kyler Murray or Mayfield, would have probably gotten benched!

Me either, really, but I want to see it confirmed in the Elite 11 setting. Both Brandon Wimbush and Phil Jurkovec could rip it in high school and suddenly forgot how to pass when they got to Notre Dame.

I don't expect that from Tyler, but I'm still curious to see how he stacks up against guys like Williams and Vandagriff.

Williams and VG are a clear notch or two above him.

a Kyler Murray or Mayfield, would have probably gotten benched!

This is a really good point. BK has his team wound up so damn tight that a big personality and risk taker like a Manziel probably would have never seen the field for daring to run off script and use his athletic gifts to make a play.

BK is one of those old school militant/control freak/throwback coaches that the rest of college football moved on from ages ago (kind of like a Nick Saban) but without the upside/rings.

Coaches in college football are getting younger and younger and relating to teenage athletes more and more (politically, culturally, etc.)

The days of a bear bryant coaching style "rub some dirt on it you piss ant" is a thing of the past. Nobody wants to play for coaches like that anymore.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT