ADVERTISEMENT

Deshone Kizer?

I was talking about college. I don't watch the pros just Notre Dame. I said I think Kizer will be an NFL QB. But Jimmy C and Brady Quinn were much better college players. Kizer has much to prove in college. I hope he does. He has the tools.

Quinn, maybe (jury's still out on Kizer). But I disagree on Clausen. He was accurate, but had no mobility. And he wasn't very good in the face of a tough pass rush. Like when BC beat us 17-0.

Quinn, maybe (jury's still out on Kizer). But I disagree on Clausen. He was accurate, but had no mobility. And he wasn't very good in the face of a tough pass rush. Like when BC beat us 17-0.

½ time Hawaii Bowl ESPN Jesse Palmer (JP) & Kevin Neghandi (KN)

JP on Jimmy Clausen

“He’s playing unconscious & he’s playing out of his mind. Again, 18 of 21 right now & you could argue that all 3 of those incompletions were drops. He’s just playing with great poise right now great confidence. He’s taking his drops. He’s seeing the defense. He’s seeing the field & he’s delivering the football confidently. Right now in this first half Hawaii has been complacent to play big deep zone coverage allowing Jimmy Clausen to just pick them apart in the middle of the field and down the hashes as well. I would be shocked if Hawaii does not start getting pressure on Jimmy Clausen in the second half. You have to start getting in front of his face, but he’s making all the throws possible. He’s throwing with great velocity. He’s finding his throws. He’s finding his targets. He’s playing with a confidence that we have not seen all season long. The statistics obviously jump off the page at you right now, but I don’t care, anything we’ve seen all year long so far up to this date. This is the best we’ve seen a quarterback play in a half so far. He’s playing in my mind flawless football. Right now, he’s thrown three incompletions. I’d argue all those were drops.

KN “Yeah, it could have been 21 for 21 with over 300 yards!”

JP “It’s ridiculous.”

Reactions: Bodizephax
½ time Hawaii Bowl ESPN Jesse Palmer (JP) & Kevin Neghandi (KN)

JP on Jimmy Clausen

“He’s playing unconscious & he’s playing out of his mind. Again, 18 of 21 right now & you could argue that all 3 of those incompletions were drops. He’s just playing with great poise right now great confidence. He’s taking his drops. He’s seeing the defense. He’s seeing the field & he’s delivering the football confidently. Right now in this first half Hawaii has been complacent to play big deep zone coverage allowing Jimmy Clausen to just pick them apart in the middle of the field and down the hashes as well. I would be shocked if Hawaii does not start getting pressure on Jimmy Clausen in the second half. You have to start getting in front of his face, but he’s making all the throws possible. He’s throwing with great velocity. He’s finding his throws. He’s finding his targets. He’s playing with a confidence that we have not seen all season long. The statistics obviously jump off the page at you right now, but I don’t care, anything we’ve seen all year long so far up to this date. This is the best we’ve seen a quarterback play in a half so far. He’s playing in my mind flawless football. Right now, he’s thrown three incompletions. I’d argue all those were drops.

KN “Yeah, it could have been 21 for 21 with over 300 yards!”

JP “It’s ridiculous.”

Like I said, when he had plenty of time to throw, he was very accurate. But he didn't have any mobility, and wasn't a playmaker if a play broke down. In that 2008 BC game, he threw 4 INT.

At a minimum, we'd have the same record with Kizer or Zaire as QB - and that includes 2015. Not saying its time to bench Kizer, just find it interesting that he's probably the most heavily supported QB on this board since Clausen.
... but without Kizer we lose by at 21 points to UT, MSU and Duke. True the record would be the same but the final scores would be much more horrific.

Like I said, when he had plenty of time to throw, he was very accurate. But he didn't have any mobility, and wasn't a playmaker if a play broke down. In that 2008 BC game, he threw 4 INT.

In Jimmy C's junior year he threw for 25 tds with only 3 ints and he played most of the year with an injured foot. The Irish were in every game and would of been 12 and 0 with Kelly as coach.

Reactions: john0gaunt
In Jimmy C's junior year he threw for 25 tds with only 3 ints and he played most of the year with an injured foot. The Irish were in every game and would of been 12 and 0 with Kelly as coach.
It's a real shame he didn't come back for a senior season.

He might have won the Heisman. He was an excellent college QB.
No chance. I loved JC as a QB at ND too but no way he was going to be as good running Kelly's spread offense after having no spread offensive experience and not fitting the profile of a spread QB in any way, and yes, we know Kelly would have tried to force him to become a spread QB because Kelly was determined to put his signature on the program right away. He wouldn't have delayed installing his offense for 1 year just to suit one player. In fact, it wouldn't have surprised me, if JC had actually considered staying 1 more year, BK may have told him privately that it would have been best for him to go pro since he didn't fit his system in any way. Dayne had absolutely no spread experience either but at least he could run. BK thought he could work with that. I don't think he would have been able to work with JC's skill set, and I don't think it would have been wise for JC to stick around to find out how a new coach and a new offense might work out for him.

No chance. I loved JC as a QB at ND too but no way he was going to be as good running Kelly's spread offense after having no spread offensive experience and not fitting the profile of a spread QB in any way, and yes, we know Kelly would have tried to force him to become a spread QB because Kelly was determined to put his signature on the program right away. He wouldn't have delayed installing his offense for 1 year just to suit one player. In fact, it wouldn't have surprised me, if JC had actually considered staying 1 more year, BK may have told him privately that it would have been best for him to go pro since he didn't fit his system in any way. Dayne had absolutely no spread experience either but at least he could run. BK thought he could work with that. I don't think he would have been able to work with JC's skill set, and I don't think it would have been wise for JC to stick around to find out how a new coach and a new offense might work out for him.

You may be right but Tommy Rees was not too bad and he couldn't run. His weak arm and turnovers killed him at times. If Coach Kelly could get 8 wins with Tommy Rees as QB he might have been able to squeeze 12 out of Jimmy. But Jimmy did not want to change styles so he went pro. But what if he did want to give it a try? I think his super accurate arm and quick thinking brain would have adapted to Kellys spread quickly imo.

You may be right but Tommy Rees was not too bad and he couldn't run. His weak arm and turnovers killed him at times. If Coach Kelly could get 8 wins with Tommy Rees as QB he might have been able to squeeze 12 out of Jimmy. But Jimmy did not want to change styles so he went pro. But what if he did want to give it a try? I think his super accurate arm and quick thinking brain would have adapted to Kellys spread quickly imo.
Right, but Tommy ran a spread offense in high school. I think Kelly was willing to work with a QB with no spread experience but who could run or with a QB who couldn't run but had spread experience, but I don't think he would have liked the idea of trying to work with a QB who couldn't run and didn't have spread experience especially for just one year and BK's first year at ND at that. After Tommy turned into a turnover machine we all wondered why BK stuck with him and I think the answer was somewhat obvious - Tommy understood the offense better than anyone and BK valued that understanding more than actual performance. I don't think BK ever would have felt comfortable turning the offense over to someone who didn't understand his offense and who also couldn't run.

I don't know the exact figures, but Kizer ranks 23rd nationally is passing and 14th nationally in passing efficiency. This post is casting blame in the wrong place.

Reactions: cgvr
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT