ADVERTISEMENT

Completely abandoning why you went to the portal to get Hartman

BleedingBlueNGold

Shakes Down The Thunder
Oct 13, 2009
Why did we snag Hartman just to hand the ball off in a big time game? I have been in favor of Marcus Freeman thus far, but I feel in big time match ups he gets ultra conservative the way BK always used to. Coaching afraid to lose as opposed to coaching to win the game and run up the score.

For what it was, our passing game was nothing but dinks and dunks. We got Hartman so he could take over a game like this and we run it 38 times instead.

Only explanation I can think of is our wide receivers are that bad that they were having trouble getting open in the Ohio State secondary. Hartman has to be thinking to himself, "I came back for a 6th year for this?"

Why did we snag Hartman just to hand the ball off in a big time game? I have been in favor of Marcus Freeman thus far, but I feel in big time match ups he gets ultra conservative the way BK always used to. Coaching afraid to lose as opposed to coaching to win the game and run up the score.

For what it was, our passing game was nothing but dinks and dunks. We got Hartman so he could take over a game like this and we run it 38 times instead.

Only explanation I can think of is our wide receivers are that bad that they were having trouble getting open in the Ohio State secondary. Hartman has to be thinking to himself, "I came back for a 6th year for this?"
That’s not true, Hartman was 16 for 24 for a 67 % CP and a 7.6 YPA against the # 6 team in the country.

Without Hartman we’re mediocre !

Hartman rarely ever went down field tonight. Pyne has hit two big strikes on the USC defense in the second half. One for a TD. He’s got ASU on the move to take the lead. Big 3rd down coming up to start the 4th.

I disagree vehemently. We only had 7 real possessions. And 2 of them ended with Hartman with the ball on his hands on 4th down. 2 touchdown drives. A missed fg. And 2 punts.

That play action and screen pass was malpractice

Hartman rarely ever went down field tonight. Pyne has hit two big strikes on the USC defense in the second half. One for a TD. He’s got ASU on the move to take the lead. Big 3rd down coming up to start the 4th.

Pyne just wasn’t good enough. He can have his moments sure, but that’s all they’ll ever be. The USC defense is not the OSU defense

SC defense is not Ohio state defense

You neglected to state that Pyne threw an interception !

How convenient of you !

The screen pass was a great call and was open. OSU made an amazing play on that ball. It was 20 yards plus and was wide open otherwise.
Risk/reward, the clock was on your side, why take a chance ?

Reactions: cgaynor
18 for 31 for 58 % CP and 7.7 YPA and an INT ……… YAWN !

The screen pass was a great call and was open. OSU made an amazing play on that ball. It was 20 yards plus and was wide open otherwise.
Yep, that might have been a touchdown. OSU had nobody on that side of the field to cover that had it been completed.

Reactions: BGI User 756

I agree. ND did not go down the field and that is what Harman can do for you; and has done up until we got ultra conservative. This game is 100% on the coaches. This should have been a win.

That’s not true, Hartman was 16 for 24 for a 67 % CP and a 7.6 YPA against the # 6 team in the country.

Without Hartman we’re mediocre !
Not what he was saying, let Hartman throw the ball down the field - he is great at it!!

We threw downfield. The WRs couldn’t get separation from their DBs.

We threw downfield. The WRs couldn’t get separation from their DBs.
How quickly they forget. Hartman tried Jayden Thomas down the left side and while it should've been a PI it was missed. Regardless if you miss that shot you're not behind the sticks.

I disagree vehemently. We only had 7 real possessions. And 2 of them ended with Hartman with the ball on his hands on 4th down. 2 touchdown drives. A missed fg. And 2 punts.

That play action and screen pass was malpractice
If JD runs it a tad deeper, or Hartman lofts it a tad more, he may have scored on the screen.

The least appreciated reality of football is that offense depends a lot on the quality of the defense against which you are trying to run plays. Ohio State has five star and high four star players all over its defense. That makes it harder to do everything. Yea, it’s a basic point, but one that is still under-appreciated by our fans.

Our two best wide receivers, by far, are Thomas and Greathouse. They didn’t play last night. Greathouse being a late scratch probably really hurt because presumably he was a big part of the game plan.

The most disappointing things about last night on offense were:

A. Failing to get the ball to Love and Price in the pass game. Inexcusable.

B. Failing to mix in some more diverse running plays, such as off tackle runs.

C. Failing to run a jet sweep or two just to keep Duke’s defense honest.

I like Parker overall so far, but last night wasn’t a good game for him.

The least appreciated reality of football is that offense depends a lot on the quality of the defense against which you are trying to run plays. Ohio State has five star and high four star players all over its defense. That makes it harder to do everything. Yea, it’s a basic point, but one that is still under-appreciated by our fans.

Our two best wide receivers, by far, are Thomas and Greathouse. They didn’t play last night. Greathouse being a late scratch probably really hurt because presumably he was a big part of the game plan.

The most disappointing things about last night on offense were:

A. Failing to get the ball to Love and Price in the pass game. Inexcusable.

B. Failing to mix in some more diverse running plays, such as off tackle runs.

C. Failing to run a jet sweep or two just to keep Duke’s defense honest.

I like Parker overall so far, but last night wasn’t a good game for him.
Agree on all those points. They keyed Estime and run blitzed all night

Reactions: Kelso86
Notre Dame board questions: Why didn't we just score TDs on every play?

Answer: Because the other team is playing defense.
I have stated this often. The other team, Ohio St. and Duke the last two weeks, both have 85 scholarships as well.

And if Mike Elko, with good defensive personnel, wants to take away the run and key on Estime all night, then the result should not be surprising. That's why Evans had a big night.

Reactions: Kelso86

Also hurts when 3 of your top WR's are out of the game, and the defense is daring to you to throw it. And Elko, a very good defensive guy -- knew this. And knew how to devise a game plan as well.

Meanwhile, ND is relying on a freshman (Flores), and converted RB (Tyree), Merriweather (who better his his backside in gear) -- not sure there were any other WR's -- 2 TE's. It will be nice to get some bodies back in the lineup

Out
Thomas
Greathouse
Colzie
Salerno
KK Smith
James (deemed not ready to contribute)

Curious if you read Eric's article prior to posting. The last two games we played against #12 OSU and #6 Duke in pass efficiency defense. OSU #6 in total D Duke #19. Scoring Defense OSU #2 Duke #7. That coupled with the lack of outside receiver play is the reason IMO. How many QBs or offenses have played against this competition so far this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT