ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson game next year is most important since the U in 1988

IrishFforida

Irish Expert
Jan 7, 2018
Had Steve Walsh hit the 2 point conversion and ND lost 32-31 to the U. ND would have not only not won the National Title in 1988. They might not have put together that great stretch from 88-93. Which should have produced 3 or 4 National Titles.

Brian Kelly may struggle with ranked opponents on the road. But Lou from 90-93 really struggled with winning the home games.. ND was favored in all those games below.

90-Stanford
90-Penn State
91-U of Tennessee
92-Stanford
93-Boston College

The home losses in 90 and 93 cost ND a shot at playing for the National Title in a Bowl Game.

The Clemson game has the potential to change the trajectory of the ND program for the next decade. And please for the love of god, spare me the breakdown of recruiting rankings and the waving of the white flag 11 months before kickoff. I don't want to hear it.

Had Steve Walsh hit the 2 point conversion and ND lost 32-31 to the U. ND would have not only not won the National Title in 1988. They might not have put together that great stretch from 88-93. Which should have produced 3 or 4 National Titles.

Brian Kelly may struggle with ranked opponents on the road. But Lou from 90-93 really struggled with winning the home games.. ND was favored in all those games below.

90-Stanford
90-Penn State
91-U of Tennessee
92-Stanford
93-Boston College

The home losses in 90 and 93 cost ND a shot at playing for the National Title in a Bowl Game.

The Clemson game has the potential to change the trajectory of the ND program for the next decade. And please for the love of god, spare me the breakdown of recruiting rankings and the waving of the white flag 11 months before kickoff. I don't want to hear it.
Much is made about the phantom fumble by Cleveland Gary near the goal line in an age before replay, but little is said about Andre Browns TD catch which on replay is clearly not a catch as the ball comes rolling out as he rolls through the catch in the end zone.
In any event I was there live and it is without a doubt the best sports fan moment of my life.

Uuhhh

I'm more worried about getting through Wisconsin, Pitt and Stanford + Duke leading right up to the Clemson game. Then finish up with Southern Cal

Can we run the table? It's possible.
Brian Kelly track record says otherwise.

The bad part is even if we get clipped by Clemson in a close contest it's only three weeks prior to the final playoff ranking. Certainly not enough time climb the ladder again.

10-2 is most likely but 9-3 is definitely a possibility

Uuhhh

I'm more worried about getting through Wisconsin, Pitt and Stanford + Duke leading right up to the Clemson game. Then finish up with Southern Cal

Can we run the table? It's possible.
Brian Kelly track record says otherwise.

The bad part is even if we get clipped by Clemson in a close contest it's only three weeks prior to the final playoff ranking. Certainly not enough time climb the ladder again.

10-2 is most likely but 9-3 is definitely a possibility

Boy 10-2 would really put him on the hot seat huh ?

Reactions: bcases
I would say since 1988, your most important game was easily the 2013 BCS game vs Bama. OP doesn't seem to know his college football history...

90-Stanford
90-Penn State
91-U of Tennessee
92-Stanford
93-Boston College

Thought the same about the 2015 Florida St game, which I get irritated anew every time I see teams essentially run the same “pick” play without a call.

FSU end zone PI ... My teenage daughters first sobering introduction to what it really means to be a Notre Dame fan ... the proverbial gut punch. She is a huge sports fan and now an ND sophomore ... we attended the Cotton Bowl together last year and although not the result we were looking for was a perfect day in all ways but one.

Does anyone think we have a legitimate shot at winning?
We'll hang. Its regular season. BK in most instances during regular season against the elites hangs fairly close. Usually does just evough to lose a close one.

It's the 5 week prep time against the elite that shows just how inept at coaching he really is.

My prediction? The stadium will he dominated by orange because the fans will have cashed in....then we'll be on the cusp but some stupid mental penalties or a turnover or two will seal our fate of losing another elite game by 1 score or less.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Let's get real here. How can anyone make an educated prediction on the Clemson game, or any 2020 Irish game for that matter when so much can happen between now and then. You all know the drill. Transfers, suspensions, injuries. If you are asking for an analysis if ND played Clemson next Monday, I kind of like our chances to keep it close if not win the darn thing outright.

I just hope Clemson wins the championship game next week. If they do, there’s like a 99% chance they arrive in South Bend this November with a 40 game winning streak. If that happens, the atmosphere for that game would rival 1988 Miami especially if ND is undefeated as well.

We'll hang. Its regular season. BK in most instances during regular season against the elites hangs fairly close. Usually does just evough to lose a close one.

It's the 5 week prep time against the elite that shows just how inept at coaching he really is.

My prediction? The stadium will he dominated by orange because the fans will have cashed in....then we'll be on the cusp but some stupid mental penalties or a turnover or two will seal our fate of losing another elite game by 1 score or less.

"My prediction? The stadium will he dominated by orange because the fans will have cashed in"

I want to say that I hope to dear God you are wrong, but history says otherwise. If this happens again, ND should be ashamed of themselves! There is no way on God's green earth a visiting team's fans should take over ND Stadium.

Reactions: raycyrx

90-Stanford
90-Penn State
91-U of Tennessee
92-Stanford
93-Boston College

The 91' Tennessee game was a stunner of a finish

Reactions: Kelso86 and 88ND

90-Stanford
90-Penn State
91-U of Tennessee
92-Stanford
93-Boston College

Agree, but have to beat Wisconsin first.

How do you feel about that game?

I would say since 1988, your most important game was easily the 2013 BCS game vs Bama. OP doesn't seem to know his college football history...
We weren't winning that game, Bama had far more talent. Any realistic Notre Dame fans knew it. Now that we know what Brian Kelly is in big games, beating Clemson at home next year is also highly unlikely.

Reactions: 88ND
We weren't winning that game, Bama had far more talent. Any realistic Notre Dame fans knew it. Now that we know what Brian Kelly is in big games, beating Clemson at home next year is also highly unlikely.
Yes but Bama was NOT 42 -14 better.
That's giving BK entirely way too much credit. Bama did have a loss that year. I think many people forget that. Yet because it was 7 years ago and it was BIG BAD BAMA we'll just simply anoint them some great team for the ages. That's BS!!!

Did Brian Kelly do everything possible to put our best foot forward in that game? Did he have us prepared to the utmost level for that game? NFL coaching job interviews say otherwise. A too easy getting there arrogance certainly says otherwise. The next two major bowl games/playoffs say otherwise.

Bama was a good team. Great? No. 42-14...we were lucky to be there from a fortunate schedule and good luck. Brian Kelly made then look other worldly

Yes but Bama was NOT 42 -14 better.
That's giving BK entirely way too much credit. Bama did have a loss that year. I think many people forget that. Yet because it was 7 years ago and it was BIG BAD BAMA we'll just simply anoint them some great team for the ages. That's BS!!!

Did Brian Kelly do everything possible to put our best foot forward in that game? Did he have us prepared to the utmost level for that game? NFL coaching job interviews say otherwise. A too easy getting there arrogance certainly says otherwise. The next two major bowl games/playoffs say otherwise.

Bama was a good team. Great? No. 42-14...we were lucky to be there from a fortunate schedule and good luck. Brian Kelly made then look other worldly
Oh, I agree. My point was that I, and many other Notre Dame fans didn't expect to win that game. Kelly definitely played a part in the score being THAT lopsided.

We have this thing in big games where nothing seems to go right and we never adjust. It's been that way since Kelly took over and that game was definitely no exception.

Oh, I agree. My point was that I, and many other Notre Dame fans didn't expect to win that game. Kelly definitely played a part in the score being THAT lopsided.

We have this thing in big games where nothing seems to go right and we never adjust. It's been that way since Kelly took over and that game was definitely no exception.

Yeah, things were so much better when Bob Davie, Tyrone Willngham and Charlie Weis were coaching the team.

We didn't know it at the time but that game displayed BK in the elite game.
It was most definitely the model going forward that hasn't changed one bit. Matter of fact 7 years later in Dallas against Clemson he might have gotten worse.

It was most definitely the model going forward that hasn't changed one bit. Matter of fact 7 years later in Dallas against Clemson he might have gotten worse.
Yep, the talent has gotten better but the results are the same.

Haven't seen this argument before, name 3 of the worst coaches in Notre Dame history to disguise Kelly's poor record in big games. Not a ton of creativity on your part.

The point is that ND can, and has done a lot worse. You and the other guys who are constantly bad mouthing Kelly seem to forget the days that ND was going 6-6 or 7-5 every year.
Kelly is 33-6 over the last three seasons. Scoff at that record if you like, but that is pretty good.

Bama was way, way better than ND was. anyone that was silly enough to expect that game to be competitive was genuinely fooling themselves.

Reactions: spenna and Ara64
"My prediction? The stadium will he dominated by orange because the fans will have cashed in"

I want to say that I hope to dear God you are wrong, but history says otherwise. If this happens again, ND should be ashamed of themselves! There is no way on God's green earth a visiting team's fans should take over ND Stadium.
Sadly it's the alums selling the bulk of the tickets to the visitors.

I'm also wondering about the Arkansas game. Think about it. First time meeting. Should be good weather. First time at ND for Razorback fans. New HC. Excitement in the air for their program. But, we'll see.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Bama was way, way better than ND was. anyone that was silly enough to expect that game to be competitive was genuinely fooling themselves.

That is easy to say with hindsight. The general consensus here was it was going to be "a tight game, one way or the other". The same prediction will hold the week prior to the Clemson game. That's just how fans are. It is very tough to predict a loss for your team; especially when the season has been perfect up to that point.

I'm also wondering about the Arkansas game. Think about it. First time meeting. Should be good weather. First time at ND for Razorback fans. New HC. Excitement in the air for their program. But, we'll see.

Arkansas was terrible last year. I have to imagine that few of their fans expect them to be competitive against ND. Will that many come to ND when they expect to get blown out?

Let's get real here. How can anyone make an educated prediction on the Clemson game, or any 2020 Irish game for that matter when so much can happen between now and then. You all know the drill. Transfers, suspensions, injuries. If you are asking for an analysis if ND played Clemson next Monday, I kind of like our chances to keep it close if not win the darn thing outright.

Some macro level observations:

Ian Book vs Trevor Lawerence

Tommy Rees vs Brent Veneables

Brian Kelly vs Dabo Swinney

Hmmm.....I am not seeing your perspective on the matter.

Would you be willing to expand upon your stance and let us know where you feel the physical and strategic advantages lay on ND's side of the ledger to the point a competitive game or even a victory would be possible?

I am very much seeking out encouragement for the game because as it stands now I am regrettably short of much optimism. I have hope that your insights can lift my spirits.

Of course, it goes without saying that your points need only be made within the vaccum of the contest being held next Monday in order to eliminate those variables you had mentioned.

Well now...

I'm not suggesting we win that game...

But a more competitive showing? 42-14 ...if you watched the game might as well been 100-0.

The lone team that beat Bama was A&M. Why? Manziel. Now if playing the Tide with a semi mobile QB...and Golson was at the very least semi mobile...I'm going to add several plays with a moving pocket, some waggle plays and outright roll out plays giving the defense a decision to cover the pass or run.

None of that happened though. Zero. It was more arrogant bullshit business as usual. Set Golson back there like a statue and hope for the best.

Rees...how many times did he spell Golson during the regular season because our offense was stuck in mud? Several. How many snaps did Rees take in the bowl game against Bama? Zero.

The Clemson game...it was clear Book was pissing in his pants back there yet there stands Wimbush just spectating. I'm not suggesting he becomes a savior but at that point he was going to stress the defense in a different way. It may have been good for a few first downs. Maybe a touchdown. It certainly might have given a little momentum to our BK ever anemic in big game offense.

Great coaches will do anything and everything within the rules to try and win. If they're going to go down it will be swinging.

Brian Kelly does none of that. He's in over his head in those type of games. No argument. He's cemented that.

Agreed. But look at the 22 schedule. At Ohio state to open up then host Clemson. 23 at Clemson Ohio state comes to SB

That is easy to say with hindsight. The general consensus here was it was going to be "a tight game, one way or the other". The same prediction will hold the week prior to the Clemson game. That's just how fans are. It is very tough to predict a loss for your team; especially when the season has been perfect up to that point.
perhaps from some but certainly not all. never had a good feeling about that game.

I agree with the OP. Like the Bush-push USC game. Feels like this football program is due for a big upset. No one expected the Irish B-ball team to beat UCLA and end their winning streak at 88 in '74! It is f-ing time. We are ND.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT