ADVERTISEMENT

Camping World Bowl Lose-Lose Situation for ND

Lol..... are the negatives of the board really arguing it would be meaningless to win the bowl game? Jesus guys..... the glass aint always half empty.
Nobody said meaningless; just that it's no indication of next seasons performance.

Seems like we have an ISU fan trying really hard to get butthurt.

ND should win convincingly over ISU... just like Oklahoma should have.... ISU is very well coached and plays better than their talent... so while ND should blow their doors off back to the corn fields in BFE Iowa..... they may not.

Why should they win convincingly? Why should OU have? Should OU have beaten KSU? ND is favored by 3.5 so only ND fans apparently think they should win convincingly. You used to be my 2nd favorite team but seeing you from the other side... yikes, not impressed.

Why should they win convincingly? Why should OU have? Should OU have beaten KSU? ND is favored by 3.5 so only ND fans apparently think they should win convincingly. You used to be my 2nd favorite team but seeing you from the other side... yikes, not impressed.
Damn.... sorry I pushed you away from ND being your 2nd favorite team..... Why should ND win Convincingly? Is that a real question? Talent is the main reason.... but I know that doesnt guarantee wins. This is the biggest bowl game for ISU in some time (ever?).... so I have no doubt they will play very hard and the question is will ND play hard.

I hope ND does, but history may show that they wont....

We will see.

Reactions: G_a_r_y
Accidentally came across this bit of unnecessary but semi-interesting info. Camping World Bowl, formally known as Sunshine Classic, Blockbuster Bowl, Car Quest Bowl, Micron PC Bowl, Tangerine Bowl, and Champs Sports Bowl. The same folks who operate the Florida Citrus Bowl also operate the Camping Bowl. I know a lot of you were wondering. Now you know.

Accidentally came across this bit of unnecessary but semi-interesting info. Camping World Bowl, formally known as Sunshine Classic, Blockbuster Bowl, Car Quest Bowl, Micron PC Bowl, Tangerine Bowl, and Champs Sports Bowl. The same folks who operate the Florida Citrus Bowl also operate the Camping Bowl. I know a lot of you were wondering. Now you know.

A good reform would be to say the core name of the bowl must be preserved at all times. i.e. "The Tangerine Bowl sponsored by Camping World" IRL I'm sure ESPN retapes the scene if a talking head omits the sponsor.

Seems like we have an ISU fan trying really hard to get butthurt.

ND should win convincingly over ISU... just like Oklahoma should have.... ISU is very well coached and plays better than their talent... so while ND should blow their doors off back to the corn fields in BFE Iowa..... they may not.
You will soon see the error in your statement as ISU has solid talent

To those of us on this board that know Kelly can't prepare his players for a big game winning or losing to Iowa st is not going to make a difference. Frankly if Kelly can't get his team up for Ga, Mich, Clem or Bama how is he going to get them up for a meaningless bowl game against a meaningless opponent. I doubt a single recruit is going to watch this game and make a decision that he already hasn't made regarding attending ND win or lose this game.
How many games did Kelly and the Irish win this season?

Should be a very good and close game. Iowa State a solid team. Good D. Purdy a very good QB and passer. Comparisons with Ga a little off. Ga better D but Purdy much better than Romm. OU was ahead by 21 in 4 Q when offense blew a gasket with turnovers. Happened a few times. KState. First half Baylor. But Purdy almost won the game his D had lost. Looking for forward to this one.

You will soon see the error in your statement as ISU has solid talent
I dont doubt they have solid talent..... but lets look at the recruiting classes and NFL prospects...... ya'll are looking for reasons to get butthurt.... I am not saying ND will blow ISU out... I am saying they should lol....

Also, is this the biggest game in ISU history?

Ya.... doesnt prove out every year... never said it does but it sure as f*ck doesnt hurt to win the bowl game. You guys are relentless about being negative. Almost impressive.... I am sure ya'll are a blast at parties.

HAHA. Listen I'm a realist. I want the Irish to win but there is no correlation with winning the bowl game and next years success. The most important thing is the extra practices. 15 practices?

HAHA. Listen I'm a realist. I want the Irish to win but there is no correlation with winning the bowl game and next years success. The most important thing is the extra practices. 15 practices?
There may not be a direct correlation.... but you cannot say a bowl win in any way is a negative.... yet people are trying to act like even a win means nothing.

"Listen I'm a realist"
Is this suppose to be some crowning achievement for people on here? You do not know if there is any correlation with winning a bowl game and it translating into success for next year because you have not been in a locker room in which that has taken place. You have not seen what winning does in the off season, how there are tangible things that players exhibit after winning. So what you are really saying is "I am formulating my opinion based off of absolutely nothing but I am a realist and that counts for something. In fact it counts for something in such a way that I will laugh at this poster for not sharing the same view point as me HAHA". Sad.

See, here is the problem. You are not a realist, despite your best efforts to be one you are not. You have no knowledge on what, how or why winning carries over so how can you come to the conclusion that there is no correlation between winning a bowl game and next seasons success? Being a realist is basing an opinion on facts and since you have no facts it is impossible for you to claim yourself as a realist. You are just a negative. If anything you have a pessimistic outlook which in no way makes you a realists, it just makes you opinionated.

Reactions: nemeth#5
"Listen I'm a realist" Is this suppose to be some crowning achievement for people on here? You do not know if there is any correlation with winning a bowl game and it translating into success for next year because you have not been in a locker room in which that has taken place. You have not seen what winning does in the off season, how there are tangible things that players exhibit after winning. So what you are really saying is "I am formulating my opinion based off of absolutely nothing but I am a realist and that counts for something. In fact it counts for something in such a way that I will laugh at this poster for not sharing the same view point as me HAHA". Sad.

See, here is the problem. You are not a realist, despite your best efforts to be one you are not. You have no knowledge on what, how or why winning carries over so how can you come to the conclusion that there is no correlation between winning a bowl game and next seasons success? Being a realist is basing an opinion on facts and since you have no facts it is impossible for you to claim yourself as a realist. You are just a negative. If anything you have a pessimistic outlook which in no way makes you a realists, it just makes you opinionated.
And you’re not opinionated?
Winning is better than losing, obviously, and the practices are critical.
That said, no tangible proof it leads to success next season...new players, coaches, opponents, etc.
As I’ve said before, one could argue losing could add extra motivation.
It’s not being negative.

And you’re not opinionated?
Winning is better than losing, obviously, and the practices are critical.
That said, no tangible proof it leads to success next season...new players, coaches, opponents, etc.
As I’ve said before, one could argue losing could add extra motivation.
It’s not being negative.

"no tangible proof it leads to success next season" Again, you have not been in a locker room to see that in fact there are things that players exhibit to prove this point.

"As I’ve said before, one could argue losing could add extra motivation.
It’s not being negative."
That is not what is being discussed here at all. I mean not even close.

Also, I have zero problem with posters stating their opinions but when posters base their opinion off of assumptions and there are literally no facts that are stated to prove the point being made I am going to call BS.

There may not be a direct correlation.... but you cannot say a bowl win in any way is a negative.... yet people are trying to act like even a win means nothing.
Please tell us then, what does a win over a 5 loss(would be 6 loss) team in the Camper bowl mean? It’s not a major bowl, ISU is not an elite team, and I doubt many people (outside of the 2 fan bases) will even care to watch the game.

A win is always nice but we will find out absolutely nothing about where we stand as a program in a no name bowl against Iowa State. The goal at this program 10 years in should be to win major bowls, beat elite teams, get to the playoff, and to compete for championships. Once again none of those things are on the table.

Please tell us then, what does a win over a 5 loss(would be 6 loss) team in the Camper bowl mean? It’s not a major bowl, ISU is not an elite team, and I doubt many people (outside of the 2 fan bases) will even care to watch the game.

A win is always nice but we will find out absolutely nothing about where we stand as a program in a no name bowl against Iowa State. The goal at this program 10 years in should be to win major bowls, beat elite teams, get to the playoff, and to compete for championships. Once again none of those things are on the table.
Iowa state is better than their record indicates but I agree with your general point here. Notre Dame is far away from any of their goals at this point and 10 years in you just wish there was a lot more going for the program then another year of status quo upcoming with no change in sight.

Please tell us then, what does a win over a 5 loss(would be 6 loss) team in the Camper bowl mean? It’s not a major bowl, ISU is not an elite team, and a doubt many people (outside of the 2 fan bases) will even care to watch the game.

What matters to you and all the other negative posters on this board does not align with what matters to these boys actually playing in the game. You seriously going to sit here and try to say winning is not important or that since we are not in a specific spot that it does not matter? Since when did you and everyone else speak for this program and these players? Seriously tired of all of this crap you pessimistic posters throw in people faces like it is the truth!

Guess what you have zero clue what goes on in that locker room so why don't you just shut up for once. Is it not okay to be positive about winning 11 games in a season?

Good thing you are just a fan and not a leader of young men. Go coach somewhere and get back to me on what is important.

Iowa state is better than their record indicates but I agree with your general point here. Notre Dame is far away from any of their goals at this point and 10 years in you just wish there was a lot more going for the program then another year of status quo upcoming with no change in sight.

"another year of status quo" How is a 10 win year status quo for a program who has only done it now only 7 times since 1994? How is it status quo to win 10 games 3 years in a row when it has not happened since 91-93, not to mention only the second time in program history to have 3 consecutive years of 10 plus wins?

Honestly, you have zero clue what you are talking about. Why don't you use facts to formulate an opinion on "status quo" before you just throw it out there. It does not apply here.

What matters to you and all the other negative posters on this board does not align with what matters to these boys actually playing in the game. You seriously going to sit here and try to say winning is not important or that since we are not in a specific spot that it does not matter? Since when did you and everyone else speak for this program and these players? Seriously tired of all of this crap you pessimistic posters throw in people faces like it is the truth!

Guess what you have zero clue what goes on in that locker room so why don't you just shut up for once. Is it not okay to be positive about winning 11 games in a season?

Good thing you are just a fan and not a leader of young men. Go coach somewhere and get back to me on what is important.
How do you know what matters to the boys playing in the game? We haven't even played the game yet, and it isn't like it's rare to see a team not play well in a meaningless bowl because their heart's not in it.

I don't know why this is so hard for people to admit but this is Notre Dame. A win in the Camping World bowl over a 5-6 loss ISU team won't make for more than a skid mark on the overall legacy of the program. It will be forgotten by next year.

The truth is we're not in the playoff and we got completely screwed by our bowl tie ins that stuck a 10 win Notre Dame team in a bowl I've never heard of, against a team I've barely heard of. I almost wouldn't blame the players for looking past this game.

Reactions: Leahylads

Never said this bowl was ND's goal.... never said we should judge our program off this bowl invite.... I simply said a convincing win would be good for the team.... amazed such a simple and obvious statement can be taken so far and so wrong.

You guys are ridiculous lol.

"no tangible proof it leads to success next season" Again, you have not been in a locker room to see that in fact there are things that players exhibit to prove this point.

"As I’ve said before, one could argue losing could add extra motivation.
It’s not being negative."
That is not what is being discussed here at all. I mean not even close.

Also, I have zero problem with posters stating their opinions but when posters base their opinion off of assumptions and there are literally no facts that are stated to prove the point being made I am going to call BS.
i agree with him. we ended two of our seasons with 6 game winning streaks and didn't have stellar seasons the next year. the time frame is too large for momentum to carry from january to august. the team changes, sometimes staff changes. winning is always better than losing but i don't see how winning a consolation game will be a huge momentum boost for the 2020 season. my experiences tell me it doesn't happen.

agree with everything you stated except your perception that there are actually non playoff bowl games that are "major". consolation games, every last one of them.

How do you know what matters to the boys playing in the game? We haven't even played the game yet, and it isn't like it's rare to see a team not play well in a meaningless bowl because their heart's not in it.

I don't know why this is so hard for people to admit but this is Notre Dame. A win in the Camping World bowl over a 5-6 loss ISU team won't make for more than a skid mark on the overall legacy of the program. It will be forgotten by next year.

I think your opinion of the program since 1994 is very high. Really what have we done to prove to you that we are in some way "too good" to care about this game?

I have coached, played and been apart of post season at the college level, it matters. I am not sure why that is so hard for you to understand that. You and your constituency are off base about what winning means and the state of this program.

agree with everything you stated except your perception that there are actually non playoff bowl games that are "major". consolation games, every last one of them.
I think we agree on the premise that this meaningless bowl game won't make one bit of difference going forward.

Reactions: Leahylads

"huge momentum boost" I mean it is literally impossible to make sense when people put words in your mouth. I never said it is a huge boost.

Winning matters, it carries over, its contagious and good staffs take that winning and keep it going.

If you want to have a negative mentality and say it does not matter go for it, but that is not how I have experienced things.

Reactions: nemeth#5
"another year of status quo" How is a 10 win year status quo for a program who has only done it now only 7 times since 1994? How is it status quo to win 10 games 3 years in a row when it has not happened since 91-93, not to mention only the second time in program history to have 3 consecutive years of 10 plus wins?

Honestly, you have zero clue what you are talking about. Why don't you use facts to formulate an opinion on "status quo" before you just throw it out there. It does not apply here.

Record only tells a partial story and is impacted by all sorts of variance in 12 game sample sizes.

When we look at the peripherals under the hood it paints a much clearer picture.

Brian Kelly program track record final F/+ by year:

2010: #15
2011: #10
2012: #6
2013: #26
2014: #34
2015: #7
2016: #29
2017: #11
2018: #7
2019: #16

These rankings nearly mirror BKs recruiting rankings over the same time period including his 13th ranked upcoming 2020 class....

Please tell me where something other than status quo 2nd/3rd tier exists in any of this data....

Last edited:
Record only tells a partial story and is impacted by all sorts of variance in 12 game sample sizes.

When we look at the peripherals under the hood it paints a much clearer picture.

Please tell me where something other than status quo 2nd/3rd tier exists in any of this data....

F/+ does not hold any kind of relative data nor is it pertinent to analytical data used to ranked teams.

Do better.

These rankings nearly mirror BKs recruiting rankings over the same time period including his 13th ranked 2020 class....

You once said yourself Chase that winning is really all that matters..... (In a post you made titled that the only case to be made for BK is wins...)..... so why put this garbage up?

Reactions: Catholicfan95
You once said yourself Chase that winning is really all that matters..... (In a post you made titled that the only case to be made for BK is wins...)..... so why put this garbage up?
You misread the entire point of that statement and post.

Take your F/+ and throw it in the trash because that is what it is. To tell me that winning games is only part of the equation is beyond dumb, buddy that is the final product. All those things you try to equate to show me I am wrong literally go into the W/L column. So you can take your rankings and try to prove a point all you want, not going to happen.

I see 7 10 plus win seasons since 1994, and 5 of those are thanks to BK. That is not status quo, at all.

You and all of these negative posters are delusional if you think what we have seen in 10 years is status quo, but your whole premise is that people that are happy are complacent with what is going on, which could not be further from the truth.

Reactions: echowaker
Lol you literally said yourself that winning is really all that matters, no? And I would agree with that statement.... seems obvious... yet you continue to use a formula to push your anti BK agenda lol.

"huge momentum boost" I mean it is literally impossible to make sense when people put words in your mouth. I never said it is a huge boost.

Winning matters, it carries over, its contagious and good staffs take that winning and keep it going.

If you want to have a negative mentality and say it does not matter go for it, but that is not how I have experienced things.
like i said we ended two of my seasons at MSU with bowl game victories and 6 game winning streaks. the seasons following those were less than stellar.

i don't think it's a negative mentality providing my own personal experience in the area of discussion. i've said multiple times winning is always better than losing. i just don't think the outcome of the bowl game good or bad will impact the 2020 season at all.

Reactions: HarlemIrish
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT