ADVERTISEMENT

Camping World Bowl Lose-Lose Situation for ND

I understand how it can be viewed as 'lose-lost.' But I think if ND comes out and wins convincingly, like they should, it will be great momentum coming into a promising 2020.
They very well may win convincingly but it means nothing toward next year, win or lose. New team, likely some new coaches and 9 months until a game is played.

They very well may win convincingly but it means nothing toward next year, win or lose. New team, likely some new coaches and 9 months until a game is played.
ok... I disagree.... I think a convincing win is good for the program. I also think a bad loss is bad for the program. In my opinion finishing on a strong note, or bad note.... leads that attitude into the next season regardless of who leaves.

For example, the Citrus bowl Win over LSU a few years back.... ND came back and went undefeated the next year.

Winning carries over to the next year. As someone who has been in a college football locker room I can assure you that winning in the post season is very important. Not to mention back to back years with 11 plus wins shows stability.

It’s just a game ... most CFB fans will watch or at least pay attention to because it’s Notre Dame ... but it’s insignificant to most and will be forgotten almost as soon as it’s over, win or lose ... as is the case with most Bowl games even the big ones.

Reactions: Leahylads
It’s just a game ... most CFB fans will watch or at least pay attention to because it’s Notre Dame ... but it’s insignificant to most and will be forgotten almost as soon as it’s over, win or lose ... as is the case with most Bowl games even the big ones.

"but it’s insignificant to most and will be forgotten almost as soon as it’s over, win or lose"

Not on this board -- if ND loses, or simply plays a shitty game -- it will be 9 months of agonizing posts about how Kelly cannot prepare his team, how ND does not deserve all the love, Book needs to move on, our DB's stink and can't cover -- and anything else you can throw in there

"but it’s insignificant to most and will be forgotten almost as soon as it’s over, win or lose"

Not on this board -- if ND loses, or simply plays a shitty game -- it will be 9 months of agonizing posts about how Kelly cannot prepare his team, how ND does not deserve all the love, Book needs to move on, our DB's stink and can't cover -- and anything else you can throw in there
That will happen if ND wins 85-0.

I like the theme of high risk low reward. There is a reward if we win. 11-2. First win of 2020. Team goes into off season on a winning note.

11 of the teams ranked above us have 2 or 3 losses. If we are 11-2, we could sneak into the top 10 with a convincing win.

Well yeah good point. If ND loses stay off the board for Jan Feb March

Reactions: Kelso86
I understand how it can be viewed as 'lose-lost.' But I think if ND comes out and wins convincingly, like they should, it will be great momentum coming into a promising 2020.

Check out the Irish after winning bowl games convincingly. That's a old wives tale. I do believe the extra practices is big coupled with some nice Orlando weather. Where do these kids wanna be in December? Orlando with the the rest of the x northeastern folk or South Bend?

winning is always better than losing. it would definitely be a positive going into to the off season. that said it won't create any "momentum ". been there, way too much time in between for that to truly happen. in 89 we ended the season with six straight wins including the bowl game and started the 90 season 2-3-1. ended that year with another 6 game winning streak counting the bowl game and stunk it up in 1991.

Reactions: HarlemIrish
Check out the Irish after winning bowl games convincingly. That's a old wives tale. I do believe the extra practices is big coupled with some nice Orlando weather. Where do these kids wanna be in December? Orlando with the the rest of the x northeastern folk or South Bend?
I have not looked farther past 2018 win against LSU and the following season ND went 12-1.

I like the theme of high risk low reward. There is a reward if we win. 11-2. First win of 2020. Team goes into off season on a winning note.

11 of the teams ranked above us have 2 or 3 losses. If we are 11-2, we could sneak into the top 10 with a convincing win.

We wouldn't though.

Wonder why OU could not win convincingly over ISU at home? Wow, they must suck.

Wonder why OU could not win convincingly over ISU at home? Wow, they must suck.
Seems like we have an ISU fan trying really hard to get butthurt.

ND should win convincingly over ISU... just like Oklahoma should have.... ISU is very well coached and plays better than their talent... so while ND should blow their doors off back to the corn fields in BFE Iowa..... they may not.

You bet your a$$ if ND loses I will be on the BK can't prepare his team.

I'm not familiar with a college football locker room,but as a Division 1 college tennis player,winning cures everything. Winning that last match of the season def sets the tone for practicing during the off season with regards for conditioning / tournament play. You look forward to the upcoming season with a desire to produce for your team .

Reactions: nemeth#5
Eric Hansen did a whole thing last night on his radio show where he contends that there is no connection between a bowl loss and the success the following season. He listed not only ND but other teams that lost their bowl and how they did the following year. It was pretty interesting. His contention is an ND loss to ISU will not be a disaster going into 2020. As a fan, I am on the side of winning the damn bowl game and not leave anything to chance. I do hope some young players of the future who didn't get a whole lot of PT this past season will get a good look while Camping. Maybe not all at once, but mixed in with the starters.

Winning carries over to the next year. As someone who has been in a college football locker room I can assure you that winning in the post season is very important. Not to mention back to back years with 11 plus wins shows stability.
We're you mopping the floors or...?
Winning or losing a second tier bowl games guarantees nothing the following season. Zero indication of future results.

Clueless.

Another intelligent comeback with no substance. Tell me why I'm wrong. At worst, this is very debatable as many on this thread agree with me including Eric Hansen.
Of course winning is better than losing but do really believe it equates to more wins next year or that losing will make us lose the Navy game. One could argue losing would add additional motivation?
There's a saying in baseball that momentum is the next day's starting pitcher. Same metaphor applies from season to season in football.

I'm not familiar with a college football locker room,but as a Division 1 college tennis player,winning cures everything. Winning that last match of the season def sets the tone for practicing during the off season with regards for conditioning / tournament play. You look forward to the upcoming season with a desire to produce for your team .
Fair point. Could losing add motivation and/or provide insight on opportunities for improvement?
Can humans learn from losing/failures? Catholic and 78, you should have experience with this.

ok... I disagree.... I think a convincing win is good for the program. I also think a bad loss is bad for the program. In my opinion finishing on a strong note, or bad note.... leads that attitude into the next season regardless of who leaves.

For example, the Citrus bowl Win over LSU a few years back.... ND came back and went undefeated the next year.
Appreciate you provided your reason beyond "clueless."

Eric Hansen did a whole thing last night on his radio show where he contends that there is no connection between a bowl loss and the success the following season. He listed not only ND but other teams that lost their bowl and how they did the following year. It was pretty interesting. His contention is an ND loss to ISU will not be a disaster going into 2020. As a fan, I am on the side of winning the damn bowl game and not leave anything to chance. I do hope some young players of the future who didn't get a whole lot of PT this past season will get a good look while Camping. Maybe not all at once, but mixed in with the starters.

Every Bowl? There's too many bowls. And then part of the team leaves. Bowls are good because half of the teams get to end the season on happy note and all of them get some sort of vacation. The line is that coaches love the extra practices and that' fine too.

Every Bowl? There's too many bowls. And then part of the team leaves. Bowls are good because half of the teams get to end the season on happy note and all of them get some sort of vacation. The line is that coaches love the extra practices and that' fine too.
Sorry. I'm not getting the "every bowl" part.

To those of us on this board that know Kelly can't prepare his players for a big game winning or losing to Iowa st is not going to make a difference. Frankly if Kelly can't get his team up for Ga, Mich, Clem or Bama how is he going to get them up for a meaningless bowl game against a meaningless opponent. I doubt a single recruit is going to watch this game and make a decision that he already hasn't made regarding attending ND win or lose this game.

Reactions: amazingreis

"Eric Hansen did a whole thing last night on his radio show where he contends that there is no connection between a bowl loss and the success the following season."

I can see some validity to that -- did not ND get their doors blown off by Nebraska in the Orange Bowl and then come back and win the NC the following year?

As an assistant coach for West Liberty University in Wheeling West Va.

You have a terrible attitude.

"As an assistant coach for West Liberty University in Wheeling West Va."

Seriously, were you there? That is my old neck of the woods!

Go check after the Aloha bowl win. Clausen looked like Brady/Manning. How did we do next year?
Ya.... doesnt prove out every year... never said it does but it sure as f*ck doesnt hurt to win the bowl game. You guys are relentless about being negative. Almost impressive.... I am sure ya'll are a blast at parties.

To those of us on this board that know Kelly can't prepare his players for a big game winning or losing to Iowa st is not going to make a difference. Frankly if Kelly can't get his team up for Ga, Mich, Clem or Bama how is he going to get them up for a meaningless bowl game against a meaningless opponent. I doubt a single recruit is going to watch this game and make a decision that he already hasn't made regarding attending ND win or lose this game.
Wow is that more dumb than usual from you.

The bowl game is invaluable: practice time and game experience for guys we’ll have to rely on next season.

Reactions: Pennick4

Yup! Played ball in 13 and coached afterwards. Worked as videographer for offense and defense in 14 and then offensive assistant coach until 16. Then QBs assistant in 17.

I should be more clear, I played baseball in 13 until I got hurt. After that I journeys into football. Did some work on and off with the baseball team but very little. Once I got hurt I turned my attention to football. I've never played football just coached. Enjoyed my time at WL very much!

ADVERTISEMENT