ADVERTISEMENT

Book to return it appears

Did you watch the last Spring game?
Yes, did you watch any games this season? As talented as he is and what he did in limited play during the season warrants him to be developed. If you're gonna hang his entire status on one glorified scrimmage and not the body of his work before or after that then you're a complete buffoon!

Last edited:
Reactions: echowaker
where would he go? He will most assuredly be the starter.

PJ now has a decision to make. Does he want to compete (portal) or languish on the bench. It comes down to whether, when he's alone with his own thoughts, does he really believe he is a football player with a football future.
3 of the 4 QB’s in the playoffs were transfers.

Either way PJ has to wait a year (and this is if Book doesn't get hurt and remember last year was the first year in recent memory that our QB started all games without injury). So does he wait until 2021 with the confidence that he is the guy for 21 and 22. Or does he transfer to a school where he doesn't have to compete with the likes of Clark, Pyne, Buchner?

If he believes he can be ND's QB going forward, why would he leave?

Plus, after next year he may have enough credits to graduate in 3 (was he an early admit?) -- which, if he feels Clark or Pyne are beating him out, means he can grad-transfer immediately and play. Feels like a no-brainer to stay.

Yes, did you watch any games this season? As talented as he is and what he did in limited play during the season warrants him to be developed. If you're gonna hang his entire status on one glorified scrimmage and not the body of his work before or after that then you're a complete buffoon!
It’s the fact he struggles to throw a spiral. I wanted him to get much more PT this year, he didn’t. We’ll see how he develops for spring game.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
Either way PJ has to wait a year (and this is if Book doesn't get hurt and remember last year was the first year in recent memory that our QB started all games without injury). So does he wait until 2021 with the confidence that he is the guy for 21 and 22. Or does he transfer to a school where he doesn't have to compete with the likes of Clark, Pyne, Buchner?

If he believes he can be ND's QB going forward, why would he leave?

Plus, after next year he may have enough credits to graduate in 3 (was he an early admit?) -- which, if he feels Clark or Pyne are beating him out, means he can grad-transfer immediately and play. Feels like a no-brainer to stay.
For all the bashing of Quinn and oline, book hardly even got touched this year. There isn’t a qb in the country that played and got hit less

Reactions: IrishMike409
It’s the fact he struggles to throw a spiral. I wanted him to get much more PT this year, he didn’t. We’ll see how he develops for spring game.
So stats or play for the season
So he season stats don't matter? They were pretty good. I. The limited amount he got it certainly warranted more PT in my opinion.

12 15 80.0 222 14.8 2 0 52 248.3

Better then Books.

So stats or play for the season

So he season stats don't matter? They were pretty good. I. The limited amount he got it certainly warranted more PT in my opinion.

12 15 80.0 222 14.8 2 0 52 248.3

Better then Books.
I agree he should have played a lot more after UM game.... he didn’t. There’s a reason. Only one I can see is he struggles throwing a spiral. I’m not even taking into account his abomination of a spring game. He has a great opportunity to shine at this years spring game. No excuses

That's probably why he came to ND. I'm taking just getting him developed. He's supposed to have a lot higher ceiling then Book.
He does have a higher ceiling, but you have to be able to run before you walk. You have to be able to throw a spiral to be a qb in a offense that throws a good bit. Haven’t even gotten to accuracy, pocket presence, or reading defenses. In games he has show the ability to throw a deep ball and run. But look lost too

For all the bashing of Quinn and oline, book hardly even got touched this year. There isn’t a qb in the country that played and got hit less
The o-lines biggest problem was that they never played as unit. No cohesion at all.

He does have a higher ceiling, but you have to be able to run before you walk. You have to be able to throw a spiral to be a qb in a offense that throws a good bit. Haven’t even gotten to accuracy, pocket presence, or reading defenses. In games he has show the ability to throw a deep ball and run. But look lost too
Wtf is it with this spiral stupid crap? Did you even watch any games this season with him it? You site one scrimmage and forget all his play before and after. He can spin a ball just fine. Don't be an idiot. You can't have 80% completion and not be able to throw a ball.

This is unprecedented. Usually, this board waits until the guy becomes the starter before they start hatin'. This time, they all figure, let's beat the rush and start hatin' on Phil now. Brendon, watch out now. You're next.

Reactions: d1042
“Now will you concede that despite Field's mistakes, that he still played at a much higher level than Book did, each in their first playoff game against Clemson, Fields as a sophomore and Book as a junior, a year further along in his development?”

I will concede that as long as you concede that if book were playing in the OSU offense, there’s a strong possibility that he puts up similar numbers to what fields did and had fields played in the ND offense last year against Clemson, there’s a good chance he struggles too.

This is unprecedented. Usually, this board waits until the guy becomes the starter before they start hatin'. This time, they all figure, let's beat the rush and start hatin' on Phil now. Brendon, watch out now. You're next.

Yep, A fan offers thought on it, and then a rush to judgement!
Fans want what is good for their team, the young men be damned!
Clark then Pyne then ... whoever is next on the whipping post for being afraid to compete- by actually wanting to play!

Curious to see what Jurkovec and Clark do behind him.

Book seems like the obvious starter (if he's willing to come back). With even a solid season he'll become the #2 passer in terms of yardage and touchdowns in ND history, behind only Brady Quinn.

If Phil transfers doesn’t he have to sit out 20 anyway? Than he would have 2 years eligibility left. If he stays he might contribute and still have 2 years eligibility left. Might as well stay get that ND degree

“The 2nd interception was obviously on the receiver, who admitted as much after the game when he stated that he broke off the route anticipating Fields would scramble”

Perfect example of how you evaluate others compared to book. You look to make excuses for a fields pick, but I don’t see you bother doing that w/ book against Georgia when finke clearly was at fault. Instead, you say his play against them was “average at best”. That’s BS and that’s my biggest beef w/ you bashers, you aren’t nearly as critical when evaluating others as you are w/ book.

If Phil transfers doesn’t he have to sit out 20 anyway? Than he would have 2 years eligibility left. If he stays he might contribute and still have 2 years eligibility left. Might as well stay get that ND degree
QBs are increasingly getting waivers for whatever reason they want. There’s also no guarantee he wins the job in 21 even if he stays. If it’s just a football decision, I wouldn’t be shocked to see him transfer.

“The 2nd interception was obviously on the receiver, who admitted as much after the game when he stated that he broke off the route anticipating Fields would scramble”

Perfect example of how you evaluate others compared to book. You look to make excuses for a fields pick, but I don’t see you bother doing that w/ book against Georgia when finke clearly was at fault. Instead, you say his play against them was “average at best”. That’s BS and that’s my biggest beef w/ you bashers, you aren’t nearly as critical when evaluating others as you are w/ book.
Book wasn’t handing off to JK Dobbins either.

Reactions: francade
QBs are increasingly getting waivers for whatever reason they want. There’s also no guarantee he wins the job in 21 even if he stays. If it’s just a football decision, I wouldn’t be shocked to see him transfer.
Waivers are for programs that have problems -- like Miss. Not the case at ND.

I really like Phil. He has the size that is key to success these days at QB. I was impressed with his film (he is very fast and can run) and really hope he is the answer after Book.

About transfers: The transfer rules still require players to sit out for a full academic year before they can begin playing, but athletes can file for waivers on the basis of any number of possible exceptions, as several Ole Miss players successfully did last offseason in the wake of the school’s NCAA sanctions.

“Book wasn’t handing off to JK Dobbins either.”

I’m w/ you, hawk. I’ve been saying that for the two years that he’s been raked over the coals by a select few here. Place him in those offenses and his numbers will bubble up and would be similar to those “elite” guys.

and... they rate Fields ahead of Lawrence (to add fire to the previous discussion.) I don't agree, by the way.

“ they rate Fields ahead of Lawrence (to add fire to the previous discussion.) I don't agree, by the way.”

That’s absurd and I disagree too.

No, I'm pretty sure he was on his knees sobbing in hopes of Ian returning... Sounds like most head coaches I've ever met.
Non sequitur aside - admittedly ‘begging’ may not have been the best word choice there but (asked/very much wanted) could be used. Doesn’t change the point I made though.

Yes but next year you have more QBs here. Getting pretty crowded in that position. Something had gotta give.

Waivers are for programs that have problems -- like Miss. Not the case at ND.

I really like Phil. He has the size that is key to success these days at QB. I was impressed with his film (he is very fast and can run) and really hope he is the answer after Book.

About transfers: The transfer rules still require players to sit out for a full academic year before they can begin playing, but athletes can file for waivers on the basis of any number of possible exceptions, as several Ole Miss players successfully did last offseason in the wake of the school’s NCAA sanctions.
Justin Fields transferred from Georgia and got a waiver.

Justin Fields transferred from Georgia and got a waiver.

Fields was the target of a racial slur from a Georgia baseball player during a football game in September, and there was speculation the incident would become part of his appeal for a waiver. The NCAA can grant immediate eligibility to a transferring player who has "documented mitigating circumstances that are outside the student-athlete's control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete."

Not how that would work for Phil. I expect him to stay and become our TL!

Hahahaha
A lot of it is running first of all.
Second, look, facts are facts, if he can't play at this level then the staff either over graded him, settled for him and/or haven't been able to develop him. It's their job, not mine.
If they whiffed on him, own it. You can't just say, well everyone else offered him.

Wtf is it with this spiral stupid crap? Did you even watch any games this season with him it? You site one scrimmage and forget all his play before and after. He can spin a ball just fine. Don't be an idiot. You can't have 80% completion and not be able to throw a ball.
No he actually struggles to throw a spiral... watch him in warmups or his throws during game under 10 yards

Agreed. I found it strange that Phil got so few reps this season. Maybe 1- he was overated coming out of highschool 2-he has not received the proper coaching 3- He has not fully committed himself to being the best quarterback he could be. A change of scenery may be best for both parties
Probably some combo of all 3....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT