ADVERTISEMENT

Book to return it appears

Whats Kraemer doing ?

Coming back. It appears as if Book, Kraemer, Eichenberg, Hayes, Ogundeji and Crawford are locks to come back. That leaves Jones Jr and McKinley as the guys in question and Kmet with the lone junior with a decision to make.

I don't think competition should ever end, but I have no problem with Ian being named the starter now if Kelly doesn't think that either of the backups could improve over the course of a year to the point that they could surpass Ian in ability.

That said, we saw a national championship winning QB in Hurts replaced at Alabama by Tu'a and a starting QB at Clemson in Bryant replaced by Lawrence because despite previous starting experience their respective coaches saw something in their backups that gave them what they felt was a better chance. One change was made in the off season, the other in season.

Based on the fact that Kelly asked Ian to come back IT SEEMS as if it would be with a guaranteed starting job. That said, we've seen guys that SEEMED to be in line to be the guaranteed starter replaced. Hell, that's how Ian got his job, replacing Brandon.

It's not passive aggressive at all. I'm genuinely curious if there will be any off season competition or if it will be "Ian, you're #1 no matter what. Phil and Brendon, you're fighting for #2"... Or if it will be "Ian, you're heading into the winter as the starter but you have to bring it because if Phil or Brendon outperform you in the off season, I'm going to go with the guy who shows the best".

That's how Saban and Swinney approached their QB situations. I'm curious how Kelly will approach his.
I’m not sure pointing out these rare exceptions is the strong case you think it is to even make the suggestions you make even reasonable but I’ll just let it go.

Coming back. It appears as if Book, Kraemer, Eichenberg, Hayes, Ogundeji and Crawford are locks to come back. That leaves Jones Jr and McKinley as the guys in question and Kmet with the lone junior with a decision to make.
I hope you are right. Its a damn shame he was injured. Kraemer is one of my favorite players.

He'll say every position is a competition like every coach. But we all know Ian is his guy. And I dont think we have Tua or TL sitting on the bench

Really hoping Ian can take the next step towards not only showing up against upper-echelon competition (which is yet to be seen), but actually going beyond that and raising the play of his playmakers around him by facilitating in elite fashion. That truly is hard to do. I wonder if a 22 year old Ian has it in him. He took some quality steps this year starting in the Virginia Tech game.

Curious to see if he's maxed out or if he has another gear in his development. Watching the Clemson vs Ohio State game last night reminded me how damn high of a level your QB has to be capable of playing at if you want to make the playoffs and win a game when you get there. Surely that will be ND's goal next year as they are set to return 15 starters and a number of backups that played significant starting minutes as injury replacements and a high number of rotational minutes as well.

I’m not sure pointing out these rare exceptions is the strong case you think it is to even make the suggestions you make even reasonable but I’ll just let it go.

It seems as if you're taking some strong offense to me suggesting that on the elite teams nobody's job is ever secure... Because winning is all that matters. If Ian Book is that guy next September, I absolutely hope he's starting. If by chance it's someone else, I hope they start instead.

Am I wrong?

It seems as if you're taking some strong offense to me suggesting that on the elite teams nobody's job is ever secure... Because winning is all that matters. If Ian Book is that guy next September, I absolutely hope he's starting. If by chance it's someone else, I hope they start instead.

Am I wrong?
No

Am I wrong?
Yes. The HC doesn’t ask back a 2 year starter then tell him it’s an open job after begging him back. Yes, you are wrong. Unless we literally had tua coming in, yes you are wrong.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
Really hoping Ian can take the next step towards not only showing up against upper-echelon competition (which is yet to be seen), but actually going beyond that and raising the play of his playmakers around him by facilitating in elite fashion. That truly is hard to do. I wonder if a 22 year old Ian has it in him. He took some quality steps this year starting in the Virginia Tech game.

Curious to see if he's maxed out or if he has another gear in his development. Watching the Clemson vs Ohio State game last night reminded me how damn high of a level your QB has to be capable of playing at if you want to make the playoffs and win a game when you get there. Surely that will be ND's goal next year as they are set to return 15 starters and a number of backups that played significant starting minutes as injury replacements and a high number of rotational minutes as well.
He may have another gear. And I hope he does. But even if he did, that gear is not Fields or Lawrence. He just doesnt have that ability. Hopefully he can max out his potential

Yes. The HC doesn’t ask back a 2 year starter then tell him it’s an open job after begging him back. Yes, you are wrong. Unless we literally had tua coming in, yes you are wrong.

Lol touchy.

If Ian Book is ND's best QB, I hope he's the starter. We'll know whether or not it was worth him coming back and stunting the development of the next guys when ND plays Wisconsin @ Lambeau and Clemson in South Bend. 10-2 would be a shame next year on the back of average QB play in big games.

Here is to hoping Ian can take the next step and get ND to 11-1 and back into the playoff conversation by winning one of those two games.

Last edited:
He may have another gear. And I hope he does. But even if he did, that gear is not Fields or Lawrence. He just doesnt have that ability. Hopefully he can max out his potential

He's definitely not that type of talent. Hopefully he does have another gear though and it's enough to beat Wisconsin and go 11-1, falling only to a Jr Trevor Lawrence (in his draft year) and securing a top 10 regular season for ND and a New Years 6 Bowl, a step up from this year.

Then we'll finally get to see if Buchner indeed does have that "it" factor that the QB's leading elite programs possess.

Lol touchy.

If Ian Book is ND's best QB, I hope he's the starter. We'll know whether or not it was worth him coming back and stunting the development of the next guys when ND plays Wisconsin @ Lambeau and Clemson in South Bend. 10-2 would be a shame next year on the back of average QB play I big games.

Here is to hoping Ian can take the next step and get ND to 11-1 and getting back into the playoff conversation by winning one of those two games.
Here’s another tack on this to take to show how bullshit your position is- who’s the tua coming in? Where’s our tua? Do you believe 2020 Pyne is tua? Do you believe class 2019 Clark is tua? Your position is only plausible If we have tua coming in. Well where is he? Because Buchner is probaby the closest but Book will be gone. Do you think Phil is tua and he will magically supplant him when he hasn’t been able to yet? Or do you think we’ll get a grad trfr even though we don’t likely have space? Seriously define this scenario where tua/elite no doubt guy literally shows up in 2020 then I can take your original post seriously and not passive aggressive.

If we get 2nd half of season Ian book and maybe just a tad better, we will be in the title hunt next year I believe. He really did improve quite a bit after UM.

Not really we didn't play anyone better than us in later half of the season.. Bad Ian Book will turn up against Clemson next year and maybe against Wisconsin..

Here’s another tack on this to take to show how bullshit your position is- who’s the tua coming in? Where’s our tua? Do you believe 2020 Pyne is tua? Do you believe class 2019 Clark is tua? Your position is only plausible If we have tua coming in. Well where is he? Because Buchner is probaby the closest but Book will be gone. Do you think Phil is tua and he will magically supplant him when he hasn’t been able to yet? Or do you think we’ll get a grad trfr even though we don’t likely have space? Seriously define this scenario where tua/elite no doubt guy literally shows up in 2020 then I can take your original post seriously and not passive aggressive.

You can take my post however you want to. That's your perogative. My position is unchanged. I want the best guy to be the starter. If that's Ian, then I am more than good with that. I'm not asking Kelly to start a guy over Ian if he doesn't genuinely believe that guy has more upside and possesses the traits necessary to beat the quality of teams that Ian has looked pedestrian against.

I doubt ND has a Tu'a on their roster...But there is a lot of room for improvement between Tu'a (on the high end) and...

Vs Clemson (2018)
17-34, 160 yards, 0 TD / 1 INT, 1 Fumble... 3 points.

@Georgia (2019)
29-47, 275 yards, 2 TD / 2 INT... 17 points

@Michigan (2019)
8-25, 75 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT... 14 points

Those are the only 3 top 15 teams teams that Ian has faced in his career as a starter. All three were average-to-woeful outings. I'm not looking for a Tu'a right now (although it would be nice). I'd settle for a better version of Ian (or a replacement) that doesn't fall off a cliff when the competition gets stiff.

If we get 2nd half of season Ian book and maybe just a tad better, we will be in the title hunt next year I believe. He really did improve quite a bit after UM.

I think we can get to the playoffs with Book but a title, no.

Look at the teams that are winning titles, their QB play are exceptional CFB talents. Lawrence, Burrow, Tua, Murray, Mayfield, Fields, Marriota. They’re just next level, I like Book but he’s not in their league.

If ND doesn't get a consistent running game Book will be back at the Camper bowl. It looks like Tommy will be OC next year but if a new OC is hired he might make Book be even better by adding a running game. Clem and Wisc will be the tests.

This is pretty pretty pretty presumptuous on your part. None of us experts around here know a single thing about what's going on with Phil, at practice or otherwise. None of us have seen him, including the insiders. None of us have talked to him. None of us have talked with someone who knows someone who knows Phil. That's how clueless we all are about the QB situation and Phil. Your advice of a change of scenery going to a guy you never met about something you, I, and none of us know anything about.
This is pretty pretty pretty presumptuous on your part. None of us experts around here know a single thing about what's going on with Phil, at practice or otherwise. None of us have seen him, including the insiders. None of us have talked to him. None of us have talked with someone who knows someone who knows Phil. That's how clueless we all are about the QB situation and Phil. Your advice of a change of scenery going to a guy you never met about something you, I, and none of us know anything about.
Why didn't Phil get 1 meaningful snap all season? Why can't he throw a spiral consistently? Why were the coaches begging Ian to return? You're right nobody here knows all the inner workings of the team. However. I do have an opinion. My opinion is the staff does not have confidence in him. If I was looking at 3 years of being the backup, I would be exploring my options

“Watching the Clemson vs Ohio State game last night reminded me how damn high of a level your QB has to be capable of playing at if you want to make the playoffs and win a game when you get there. ”

I’m wondering if the usual book critics will dissect Fields’ game the same way they do book’s. I saw fields miss on short, intermediate and deep balls, throw two picks (one to lose the game) and had a couple more that should’ve been picked, failed to look up upon pressure and missed wide open wrs downfield because of it in the game the other night but I guess that microscope is only used on certain players.

Last edited:
i don't think it's a coincidence that Ian Book seemed to play looser and with more confidence after they began distancing Long from the game planning and practice scenarios.

Reactions: IrishMike409
“Watching the Clemson vs Ohio State game last night reminded me how damn high of a level your QB has to be capable of playing at if you want to make the playoffs and win a game when you get there. ”

I’m wondering if the usual book critics will dissect Fields’ game the same way they do book’s. I saw fields miss on short, intermediate and deep balls, throw two picks (one to lose the game) and had a couple more that should’ve been picked, failed to look up upon pressure and missed wide open wrs downfield because of it in the game the other night but I guess that microscope is only used on certain players.
Ian seems to be the only one who gets all the “almosts” counted against him. For example, Clemson dropped a pick six, which Ian would’ve been killed for.

“i don't think it's a coincidence that Ian Book seemed to play looser and with more confidence after they began distancing Long from the game planning and practice scenarios.”

The more you hear about him, the less you like, echo. Not just his coaching either, he wasn’t real likable, supposedly.

“i don't think it's a coincidence that Ian Book seemed to play looser and with more confidence after they began distancing Long from the game planning and practice scenarios.”

The more you hear about him, the less you like, echo. Not just his coaching either, he wasn’t real likable, supposedly.
i hear he fit in less with the other members of the staff even more than with the players. Coach Saban has said it forever, "fit" whether it's a player or a coach is huge.

I actually agree that there were times in that game when Fields missed some opportunities that ultimately left the door often for Clemson to come back and win. In particular, the miss to the wide open Dobbins for what would have been a touchdown. I also agree that he took unneccessary sacks trying to hold onto the ball and wait for somebody to come open. He has to get better at knowing when to throw the ball away... The 2nd interception was obviously on the receiver, who admitted as much after the game when he stated that he broke off the route anticipating Fields would scramble, while Fields was actually just hanging in giving him time to get open. I can be plenty critical of other quarterbacks. It's not just some biased agenda against Ian Book. Now will you concede that despite Field's mistakes, that he still played at a much higher level than Book did, each in their first playoff game against Clemson, Fields as a sophomore and Book as a junior, a year further along in his development?

Ian Book vs Clemson
Passing 17-34 (50%)
Yards: 160
TD: 0
Turnovers: 2
QBR: 16.7

Justin Fields vs Clemson
Passing: 30-46 (65%)
Yards: 320
TD: 1
Turnovers: 2 (one was obviously on the WR)
QBR: 54.1

Despite being a year younger and lesser developed, you do realize how much better Fields was don't you? 20 more points, double the passing yardage, 15% better completion percentage, better than triple the QBR.

Fields made plenty of mistakes but gave his team a chance to win. Book wasn't even in the realm of giving his team a chance to win. The two performances weren't close.

I actually agree that there were times in that game when Fields missed some opportunities that ultimately left the door often for Clemson to come back and win. In particular, the miss to the wide open Dobbins for what would have been a touchdown. I also agree that he took unneccessary sacks trying to hold onto the ball and wait for somebody to come open. He has to get better at knowing when to throw the ball away... The 2nd interception was obviously on the receiver, who admitted as much after the game when he stated that he broke off the route anticipating Fields would scramble, while Fields was actually just hanging in giving him time to get open. I can be plenty critical of other quarterbacks. It's not just some biased agenda against Ian Book. Now will you concede that despite Field's mistakes, that he still played at a much higher level than Book did, each in their first playoff game against Clemson, Fields as a sophomore and Book as a junior, a year further along in his development?

Ian Book vs Clemson
Passing 17-34 (50%)

Justin Fields vs Clemson

Despite being a year younger and lesser developed, you do realize how much better Fields was don't you? 20 more points, double the passing yardage, 15% better completion percentage, better than triple the QBR.

Fields made plenty of mistakes but gave his team a chance to win. Book wasn't even in the realm of giving his team a chance to win. The two performances weren't close.
Hum ...suprised Kelly even welcomed him back

Ian seems to be the only one who gets all the “almosts” counted against him. For example, Clemson dropped a pick six, which Ian would’ve been killed for.
Ian book is the biggest reason why we lost to Clemson, Georgia and UM this year and cfp last year. He can be the biggest reason why we beat Wisconsin and Clemson next year if he continues to build off of the end of year games vs average defenses.

he wouldn’t be so heavily scrutinized If he didn’t crap the bed vs good defenses. Gets his first shot in lambeau 2020.

Ian Book vs Clemson
Passing 17-34 (50%)

Justin Fields vs Clemson

Yeah fields didn’t play great but he wasn’t bad. Fields has done it vs really good defenses this year. Book has yet to do it vs a good D.

Hum ...suprised Kelly even welcomed him back

I'm not. I think that Kelly probably feels like he's the best guy on his roster and can win another 10-11 games with Ian if he plays the way he did in the 2nd half of the season, which was much improved from the first half. If Ian can quarterback ND to another top 10-12 finish and continue the momentum around the program, Tyler Buchner arrives next winter (early enrollee) and he appears to be the "chosen one" that Kelly will take his last shot with before he calls it. I actually think it's smart for momentum, national recognition and recruiting to bring Ian back if he's the best guy and you believe that Buchner will be the starter in 2021.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Ian book is the biggest reason why we lost to Clemson, Georgia and UM this year and cfp last year. He can be the biggest reason why we beat Wisconsin and Clemson next year if he continues to build off of the end of year games vs average defenses.

he wouldn’t be so heavily scrutinized If he didn’t crap the bed vs good defenses. Gets his first shot in lambeau 2020.
Clemson's defense was the reason or do you blame him for the Alabama loss as well?

I'm not. I think that Kelly probably feels like he's the best guy in his roster and can win another 10-11 gsmes Ian if he plays the way he did in the 2nd half of the season, which was much improved from the first half. If Ian can quarterback ND to another top 10-12 finish and continue the momentum around the program, Tyler Buchner arrives next winter (early enrollee) and he appears to be the "chosen one" that Kelly will take his last shot with before he calls it. I actually think it's smart for momentum, national recognition and recruiting to bring Ian back if he's the best guy and you believe that Buchner will be the starter in 2021.
I know brother
It was sarcasm which doesn't text well lol

Very glad Book returns. Had a very solid season - Ga game he was average and Mi game he was bad. Other than that he did pretty good and finished his last 4 or 5 games very good.

Overall Book has a chance to be really good for ND next season - w his experience and ability to be accurate along w his running abilities make him a very dangerous QB for ND. I am very pumped he’s coming back for next season

Phil really has a tough time throwing a spiral. But he can throw the long ball beautifully. Really strange
Wait, our head football coach gave a full athletic scholarship to a QB that can’t throw a spiral?
Maybe that’s why, after ten years on the job, he’s saying they need to improve recruiting.

Apparently, Bama, Clemson, and MSU didn't realize that Phil couldn't throw a spiral either. Somehow, Phil masked that flaw from those that gave him a solid offer. Genius.

I'm not. I think that Kelly probably feels like he's the best guy on his roster and can win another 10-11 games with Ian if he plays the way he did in the 2nd half of the season, which was much improved from the first half. If Ian can quarterback ND to another top 10-12 finish and continue the momentum around the program, Tyler Buchner arrives next winter (early enrollee) and he appears to be the "chosen one" that Kelly will take his last shot with before he calls it. I actually think it's smart for momentum, national recognition and recruiting to bring Ian back if he's the best guy and you believe that Buchner will be the starter in 2021.
Nd should be favored in every game except Clemson. 10+ wins should be expectation .... I expect wrs to be better next year as a whole despite losing an absolute stud... if kmet comes back and Austin is 100% committed and what we expect.

Clemson's defense was the reason or do you blame him for the Alabama loss as well?
Alabama had no trouble moving the ball vs Clemson, hell they had like 200 yards in the first quarter alone, about as much as ND had for the game. Nd had opportunities to move the ball and score in the first half and some terrible throws and turnovers prevented that. Chase even had a bad drop but book was just awful. Clearly deer in headlights. He didn’t have deer in headlights look vs Georgia but he did vs UM. Vs Georgia he was just way way way too passive and conservative despite having ALL day long to throw and hardly getting touched.

Nd should be favored in every game except Clemson. 10+ wins should be expectation .... I expect wrs to be better next year as a whole despite losing an absolute stud... if kmet comes back and Austin is 100% committed and what we expect.

I agree that as a unit they should be better. Ian will have to get use to not focusing in on his primary receiver as he did this year with Chase. The ball should be spread around much more evenly this coming year.

i highly doubt any actual begging occurred. kind of dramatic to portray it that way no ?

I was somewhat high on Phil coming to ND but if you struggle to throw a spiral I have a hard time seeing BK trust you. Wimbush at least could spin it, just not accurately a lot of the time.
Is this a serious post? Are you really this obtuse? You do realize that Ohio State, Clemson, and Alabama offered PJ right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT