ADVERTISEMENT

Book to return it appears

OC hire is my only worry. Alittle worried this is a signal Tommy will be the guy.

Disappointing.

2018-2020 is going to feel like one single elongated season on offense.

I'm already envisioning a 19-35 for 218yds 1td and 2int game in a 13-21 loss against Wisconsin and a 16-31 for 168yds 0td and 2int game in a 9-34 loss to Clemson.

But I feel bad for Navy, Western Michigan, and Duke because Book is going to be giving those defenses the business. Maybe even a few forward laterals to pad the old stat line.

Reactions: amazingreis
If we get 2nd half of season Ian book and maybe just a tad better, we will be in the title hunt next year I believe. He really did improve quite a bit after UM.

I agree. I was really critical of Book most of this season but he looked very comfortable the last few games and started looking downfield more. I only worry about how he’ll do without his security blanket (Claypool).

If we get 2nd half of season Ian book and maybe just a tad better, we will be in the title hunt next year I believe. He really did improve quite a bit after UM.
Hard to tell, our competition went way down also. I do believe he improved, but he will ever be an elite QB to take us to a NC. He's a good college QB, but there's a reason he's in not picked in any round in mock NFL drafts.

I agree. I was really critical of Book most of this season but he looked very comfortable the last few games and started looking downfield more. I only worry about how he’ll do without his security blanket (Claypool).
When in doubt a TE is a QB's best friend

Curious to see what Jurkovec and Clark do behind him.

Book seems like the obvious starter (if he's willing to come back). With even a solid season he'll become the #2 passer in terms of yardage and touchdowns in ND history, behind only Brady Quinn.

Book seems like the obvious starter (if he's willing to come back). With even a solid season he'll become the #2 passer in terms of yardage and touchdowns in ND history, behind only Brady Quinn.
Seems? What do you mean...? Is this some passive aggressive nonesense implying you believe there should be an open competition or have I honestly misread this? Which is entirely possible and If so sorry in advance.

It's official Book announced he's coming back. I think with what's coming behind PJ I would not be shocked to see PJ ransfer. I feel bad for him, he was never really allowed to devolop or get a shot on the field. When he did get on he was relegated to handing if off. We'll see....

Seems? What do you mean...? Is this some passive aggressive nonesense implying you believe there should be an open competition or have I honestly misread this? Which is entirely possible and If so sorry in advance.
You don't believe in competition? You think Book should be the starter (which he will be) automatically?

You don't believe in competition? You think Book should be the starter (which he will be) automatically?
A two year starter will be the starting qb when he announces his return. Would be the same for Alohi gilman or Cole kmet. I do believe in competition but this notion is laughable.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Wisconsin and Clemson are going to define his career an future potential at the next level. If he plays like he did this year vs good defenses most ND fans will have bad taste in Their mouth discussing book. If he improves and he plays good, next year could be special.

He already said hes coming back...

And I expect both to be at ND

There is nothing passive aggressive about my comment. I'm just curious to see if Kelly will allow there to be competition in the spring or if it will automatically be Ian, and everyone else battling for the #2 spot.

There is nothing passive aggressive about my comment. I'm just curious to see if Kelly will allow there to be competition in the spring or if it will automatically be Ian, and everyone else battling for the #2 spot.
Bk begged him back and you know that. That is precisely what makes this passive aggressive. He’s not coming back to open comp.

He already said hes coming back...

And I expect both to be at ND

I know he did. I think your missing the context of my bracketed note. I'm saying that I doubt Ian would be interested in coming back if he wasn't guaranteed the starting job in 2020.

Curious if you have any intel suggesting that Notre Dame is going to be able to retain all 4 scholarship QBs into next year?.. Not saying it won't happen, but it's rare to have 4 talented guys on one squad, with an obvious starter, and not have one guy leave for playing time elsewhere.

Bk begged him back and you know that. That is precisely what makes this passive aggressive. He’s not coming back to open comp.
It’s always a competition , but it won’t be 50/50 first team reps. The real open competition comes in 2021 with Buchner being an EE most likely.

Reactions: IrishMike409
I know he did. I think your missing the context of my bracketed note. I'm saying that I doubt Ian would be interested in coming back if he wasn't guaranteed the starting job in 2020.

Curious if you have any intel suggesting that Notre Dame is going to be able to retain all 4 scholarship QBs into next year?.. Not saying it won't happen, but it's rare to have 4 talented guys on one squad, with an obvious starter, and not have one guy leave for playing time elsewhere.
Ian is coming back so thats 1
Pyne signed his letter of intent thats 2

Clark was a 3 star recruit. He redshirted. He has 4 years left. He wasnt a 5 star. No reason at all for him to leave. I highly doubt he truly felt he was going to be starter here year 2. Thats 3 guys I strongly believe are definitely here

Why would Phil leave. Hed have to sit next year anyway. He'll get backup minutes next year. Possibly start if an injury. And will have a chance to be a 2 year starter after.

Those are my views. 3 I just cant see not being here. I dont see why Phil would leave. Just my logical opinion. Could be wrong on Phil. We shall see

Reactions: notredamerises23
I was somewhat high on Phil coming to ND but if you struggle to throw a spiral I have a hard time seeing BK trust you. Wimbush at least could spin it, just not accurately a lot of the time.
Phil really has a tough time throwing a spiral. But he can throw the long ball beautifully. Really strange

I was somewhat high on Phil coming to ND but if you struggle to throw a spiral I have a hard time seeing BK trust you. Wimbush at least could spin it, just not accurately a lot of the time.
Why was he recruited then? Seems to have dominated Penn HS Football.

"Passive aggressive" assumes some form of malcontent or indirect resistance. If he's the best guy I want him to play. Period.

"Passive aggressive" assumes some form of malcontent or indirect resistance. If he's the best guy I want him to play. Period.
If you acknowledge the truth of the situation there’s no need for speculation about competition. You know that but suggested otherwise. Now I don’t know the motive but that is classic passive aggressive. Say something implausible (or controversial) under the cover of polite suggestion and platitudes like “open competition” and “best man” hoping nobody would notice how ridiculous it’d be to suggest a two year starter the COACH asked to return would have to compete for a job. Please it’s textbook passive aggressive.

Agreed. I found it strange that Phil got so few reps this season. Maybe 1- he was overated coming out of highschool 2-he has not received the proper coaching 3- He has not fully committed himself to being the best quarterback he could be. A change of scenery may be best for both parties

Reactions: Leahylads
Agreed. I found it strange that Phil got so few reps this season. Maybe 1- he was overated coming out of highschool 2-he has not received the proper coaching 3- He has not fully committed himself to being the best quarterback he could be. A change of scenery may be best for both parties
If Phil is a good college qb, his year is 2021 at Nd or somewhere else

This is pretty pretty pretty presumptuous on your part. None of us experts around here know a single thing about what's going on with Phil, at practice or otherwise. None of us have seen him, including the insiders. None of us have talked to him. None of us have talked with someone who knows someone who knows Phil. That's how clueless we all are about the QB situation and Phil. Your advice of a change of scenery going to a guy you never met about something you, I, and none of us know anything about.

Reactions: Pennick4
If you acknowledge the truth of the situation there’s no need for speculation about competition. You know that but suggested otherwise. Now I don’t know the motive but that is classic passive aggressive. Say something implausible under the cover of polite suggestion and platitudes like “open competition” and “best man” hoping nobody would notice how ridiculous it’d be to suggest a two year starter the COACH asked to return would have to compete for a job. Please it’s textbook passive aggressive.

I don't think competition should ever end, but I have no problem with Ian being named the starter now if Kelly doesn't think that either of the backups could improve over the course of a year to the point that they could surpass Ian in ability.

That said, we saw a national championship winning QB in Hurts replaced at Alabama by Tu'a and a starting QB at Clemson in Bryant replaced by Lawrence because despite previous starting experience their respective coaches saw something in their backups that gave them what they felt was a better chance. One change was made in the off season, the other in season.

Based on the fact that Kelly asked Ian to come back IT SEEMS as if it would be with a guaranteed starting job. That said, we've seen guys that SEEMED to be in line to be the guaranteed starter replaced. Hell, that's how Ian got his job, replacing Brandon.

It's not passive aggressive at all. I'm genuinely curious if there will be any off season competition or if it will be "Ian, you're #1 no matter what. Phil and Brendon, you're fighting for #2"... Or if it will be "Ian, you're heading into the winter as the starter but you have to bring it because if Phil or Brendon outperform you in the off season, I'm going to go with the guy who shows the best".

That's how Saban and Swinney approached their QB situations. I'm curious how Kelly will approach his.

Last edited:
I don't think competition should ever end, but I have no problem with Ian being named the starter now if Kelly doesn't think that either of the backups could improve over the course of a year to the point that they could surpass Ian in ability.

That said, we saw a national championship winning QB in Hurts replaced at Alabama by Tu'a and a starting QB at Clemson in Bryant replaced by Lawrence because despite previous starting experience their respective coaches saw something in their backups that gave them what they felt was a better chance. One change was made in the off season, the other in season.

Based on the fact that Kelly asked Ian to come back IT SEEMS as if it would be with a guaranteed starting job. That said, we've seen guys that SEEMED to be in line to be the guaranteed starter replaced. Hell, that's how Ian got his job, replacing Brandon.

It's not passive aggressive at all. I'm genuinely curious if there will be any off season competition or if it will be "Ian, you're #1 no matter what. Phil and Brendon, you're fighting for #2"... Or if it will be "Ian, you're heading into the winter as the starter but you have to bring it because if Phil or Brendon outperform you in the off season, I'm going to go with the guy who shows the best".

That's how Saban and Swinney approached their QB situations. I'm curious how Kelly will approach his.
He'll say every position is a competition like every coach. But we all know Ian is his guy. And I dont think we have Tua or TL sitting on the bench

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT