ADVERTISEMENT

Book = Montana

theskibro

I've posted how many times?
Aug 24, 2003
not getting carried away here but do you notice the physical resemblance to Joe?

On the field, he moves like Joe also

Reactions: Bodizephax
not getting carried away here but do you notice the physical resemblance to Joe?

He does. I agree and was thinking the same thing. Before anyone thinks I’m saying he’s Joe Montana, I’m not. Just saying there’s an eerie similarity in many ways. Go Irish!

He does. I agree and was thinking the same thing. Before anyone thinks I’m saying he’s Joe Montana, I’m not. Just saying there’s an eerie similarity in many ways. Go Irish!
Agree. I meant that Book’s face looks like Joe. I see movement on field similar also

WF is 111th in Pass Defense. This might be the easiest passing "D" the Irish offense will see all season. It's nice but hardly a barometer of things to come. We can talk after Stanford. Anyway, nice game Ian.

Reactions: HarlemIrish
WF is 111th in Pass Defense. This might be the easiest passing "D" the Irish offense will see all season. It's nice but hardly a barometer of things to come. We can talk after Stanford. Anyway, nice game Ian.

What is Ball States? Man you guys are having a hard time believing Ian gives this team a better chance at winning.

What is Ball States? Man you guys are having a hard time believing Ian gives this team a better chance at winning.
Ball State is 44th in Pass defense. 44 is better than 111. I just don't over react with the good....or the bad. Let it play out a couple of games. We will know better next week and know most everything the week after.
IU’s QB was 20-27 against Ball St. and put up 38 points.

IU’s QB was 20-27 against Ball St. and put up 38 points.
So what. You want to crown Ian , go ahead. I'm going to wait and see what happens. Doesn't cost me anything. It's more than Ian. It's the OL. It's the WRs. It's the running game. A lot will go into the success of the Irish offense.

Reactions: rgc7 and Pennick4
There is a physical resemblance to that young junior in 1977. He showed me alot against LSU last season. He showed me much more today. I feel alot better today heading into the Stanford game than a on Friday. We tend to remember the NFL Joe; but he was more inconsistent at ND. What he did do was win a lot of football games for the Irish. I've never used drugs, but I was experiencing flash backs today in a BIG way! I like Book a lot!

Im not confident in Books ability to throw long ball and handle tough aggressive defenses. I am noyt sold in him until after Stanford and VT. I still think Wimbush needs to get in the game at times. He is too dynamic tyo leave on the bench.

Really funny thread!

I was reading a few of the posts to my dad (class of 72) and he jumped up. He said he was thinking the exact same thing. He saw Joe in his ND days.

I’m not that old! I can’t make that comparison, but it seems there must be some truth to it.

I've been saying that since I saw Book play last year. He looks a little like Montana, and is also built like him, and has a similar game. However, not saying he's as good or talented as Montana, just similar in style of play. They're both accurate short-intermediate passers, run well and like to roll out and throw on the run.

I've been saying that since I saw Book play last year. He looks a little like Montana, and is also built like him, and has a similar game. However, not saying he's as good or talented as Montana, just similar in style of play.
Cue the chicken soup.

Reactions: mbd11
There is a physical resemblance to that young junior in 1977. He showed me alot against LSU last season. He showed me much more today. I feel alot better today heading into the Stanford game than a on Friday. We tend to remember the NFL Joe; but he was more inconsistent at ND. What he did do was win a lot of football games for the Irish. I've never used drugs, but I was experiencing flash backs today in a BIG way! I like Book a lot!
I don't like comparisons like this because it does a disservice to both the compared and the comparable.

I'm just pleased to see ND being able to move the ball at will today. ND was in complete control for the first time this year. There was no doubt. They needed zero luck.

Trees are next

Reactions: rgc7
I find it funny that anybody would suggest that I'm quarterback starved? I remember Joe cool at ND like it was yesterday. He was hardly the polished player that became the greatest OB in NFL history. He did know how to win and rise to the occasion; and was a third round draft pick. Book seems to put the ball out there for the receivers to catch it in stride and has no favorites. 10 receivers caught passes today. The QB must be able to hit those five to fifteen yard passes with regularity like Joe did back in the day. I am astounded by the progress of a former wide receiver and quarterback at running back. They accounted for 141 rushing yards today. The offensive line is maturing nicely too. I find it funny how we look for a blizzard on a beautiful hot and sunny day. WE WON 56-27 FANS!

I am not comparing them but merely pointing out the similarities in style and appearance. Yes, we'll need all our assets to cut down that big redwood next week in historic ND Stadium. Go Irish!

Last edited:
I find it funny that anybody would suggest that I'm quarterback starved? I remember Joe cool at ND like it was yesterday. He was hardly the polished player that became the greatest OB in NFL history. He did know how to win and rise to the occasion; and was a third round draft pick. Book seems to put the ball out there for the receivers to catch it in stride and has no favorites. 10 receivers caught passes today. The QB must be able to hit those five to fifteen yard passes with regularity like Joe did back in the day. I am astounded by the progress of a former wide receiver and quarterback at running back. They accounted for 141 rushing yards today. The offensive line is maturing nicely too. I find it funny how we look for a blizzard on a beautiful hot and sunny day. WE WON 56-27 FANS!

I am not comparing them but merely pointing out the similarities in style and appearance. Yes, we'll need all our assets to cut down that big redwood next week in historic ND Stadium. Go Irish!
Perhaps the biggest thing with the WR,QB turned running back is the unselfishness. He just wants to contribute.

The big stage sports world can use a whole lot more of that type of character.

I couldn't agree more. I applaud BW too. The move surprised me and I'm sure it was a bitter pill to swallow for Brandon. He seemed very engaged on the sideline. He showed tremendous sportsmanship and teamsmanship today. He's a real team player and I think we'll see a lot more from him this season. He showed me alot today. I give him two big thumbs up!

It also likely decided that he will grad transfer for next season. So they better make sure AD gets a refresher course and that PJ gets the most out of his 4 appearances.
(And VT would be one of the teams whose style that would meet BW’s talents.)

QB grad transfers haven't worked out very well for them at ND. I hope he stays but that's his decision to make another day. It all depends on how he's used over the next 8 games. You are probably right I must admit.

QB grad transfers haven't worked out very well for them. I hope he stays but that's his decision to make another day. It all depends on how he's used over the next 8 games. You are probably right I must admit.

Players want to play.

I wish BW would have gotten a chance to play today. If he has dreams of playing in the NFL a position switch is in order.

I wish BW would have gotten a chance to play today. If he has dreams of playing in the NFL a position switch is in order.

Agreed, he'll never make the NFL as a QB. Not accurate enough, or good enough at running an offense. But he might be able to switch to RB or WR. There's quite a few former college QBs playing other positions in the NFL right now. Even the Navy QB from the last few years caught on with the Seahawks as a WR.

But for this year, we still need him at QB. We need an experienced backup.

SkiBro ! I have been out of the loop because of work due to the BOOMING economy ! I did not read this post before I posted mine ! We are both brothers of a different Mother !! Book is even better than Joe because he runs better !

Reactions: theskibro
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT