ADVERTISEMENT

Bashing Kelly

Did you bother looking at the Navy defense? Did you bother looking at the routes? Loaded box and two curl patterns and a sideline screen. Hardly asking Wimbush to complete double move pass routes there. Execution problem and not a bad play call. QBs should be able to complete wide open curl routes 9.5 out of 10 times.[/QUOTE
Did you bother looking at the Navy defense? Did you bother looking at the routes? Loaded box and two curl patterns and a sideline screen. Hardly asking Wimbush to complete double move pass routes there. Execution problem and not a bad play call. QBs should be able to complete wide open curl routes 9.5 out of 10 times.
U didn’t ? Play calling not one time yesterday????

Not especially. I actually would have called more down the field passes. Short route passes only level the playing field against less athletic DBs. I also would have run Jones more. He seemed to have more burst then Adams.

Edit: we all realize that Navy also preps for the game: what do you think they expected “out of the gates?” Run, Run Run! So... let’s get BW two 6 yard curls to get Navy to move the 8th or 9th guy out of the box then we can open up the RPOs. Welp... BW missed two receivers. The 3rd down play was a head Scratcher, I can admit that.

Last edited:
Down the field pass plays... really??? I was at the game.... it wasn’t 80 and sunny...

Those were the Irish’s best moments. Remember the Db’s are playing in the same conditions except they don’t know where the ball is going.

Your right.. they don’t know where the ball is going.... but nor does BW at times.... conditions yesterday were awful for the pass game... I much rather line up... tell them your running... than having BW win it with his arm...

Reactions: Pennick44
Lol... wow.

4-8.

New Qb, new offensive coordinator and new defensive coordinator.

You “expected” (not hoped for?) 11-1 and one of only four teams in the CFP. I’m glad I’m not one of your kids or coworkers.

I’m all for high expectations but keeping them reasonable isn’t asking a lot.
This is his 8th season at ND! Why did he have to bring in new coaches? Oh, that's right, the coaches he hired before this sucked! Elko is not new at the position. He has been around.

It's funny, you are giving the same excuses/reasons that a fan base with a new coach gives. Oh these are the other guys recruits. It's a new QB. Or give him time they are just getting started.
BW has been with Kelly for three years. Kelly recruited him.

Reactions: 88ND
This is his 8th season at ND! Why did he have to bring in new coaches? Oh, that's right, the coaches he hired before this sucked! Elko is not new at the position. He has been around.

It's funny, you are giving the same excuses/reasons that a fan base with a new coach gives. Oh these are the other guys recruits. It's a new QB. Or give him time they are just getting started.
BW has been with Kelly for three years. Kelly recruited him.

Full disclosure: I felt the same as you after year 7. 4-8 loses him his job but we didn’t get our way. Fast forward and now NDs 9-2. Guess what: he’s proven that keeping him (imo) was the right move. You can have a different opinion.

Full disclosure: I felt the same as you after year 7. 4-8 loses him his job but we didn’t get our way. Fast forward and now NDs 9-2. Guess what: he’s proven that keeping him (imo) was the right move. You can have a different opinion.
If getting close to the playoffs is the, then Kelly is the guy.

If getting close to the playoffs is the, then Kelly is the guy.

Dude I want a title too... badly. I understand being frustrated but ND’s had coaches other than Kelly and none of them got anywhere near his success. It’s a hard job. ND doesn’t have the option of letting “football only” players in like many of the other top 15 programs do.

10-3 would look good though. I have little hope they win the next two either.

I rarely post on these forums . But I do linger around for knowledge about our football team. Pennick you provide nothing of substance. You disagree with anti Kelly posters...that is your right. But, all you do is call names with no facts to back up the fact. Kelly will always be an average coach. Deal with it.
Well said. Kelly is average a good coach. We deserve excellence. Period

Reactions: 88ND and ndfi65
Only tools judge a season by ONE game. With your logic Ohio State should fire Urban Meyer.
My gosh this is comical. Urban Meyer in six seasons at osu is 70-8 with a NC. He has never lost more than 2 games in a season at osu. Compare that to bk at 68-32 in eight seasons. Tell me who is the better coach, its not even close.

Last edited:
There are many historic high performing schools who believe they deserve excellence, but have floundered at one coaching hire after another. Tennessee, Florida, Michigan, Nebraska, UCLA, USC, Texas, just to name a few obvious ones, without even digging very deep. You may think you deserve excellence, but you need some serious good fortune to actually end up with it.

Reactions: NDSMC78
My gosh this is comical. Urban Meyer in six seasons is 70-8 with a NC. He has never lost more than 2 games in a season at osu. Compare that to bk at 68-32 in eight seasons. Tell me who is the better coach, its not even close.

Meyer got his ass kicked by Oklahoma and by unranked Iowa this year. If he did that at ND, you and the other piss drinkers would be demanding that he be fired too.

Reactions: IRISHJD98
Lol... wow.

4-8.

New Qb, new offensive coordinator and new defensive coordinator.

You “expected” (not hoped for?) 11-1 and one of only four teams in the CFP. I’m glad I’m not one of your kids or coworkers.

I’m all for high expectations but keeping them reasonable isn’t asking a lot.
ND SHOULD NEVER GO 4-8 EVER EVER EVER EVER

Reactions: TOMMY_23
My gosh this is comical. Urban Meyer in six seasons at osu is 70-8 with a NC. He has never lost more than 2 games in a season at osu. Compare that to bk at 68-32 in eight seasons. Tell me who is the better coach, its not even close.
1/3 of OSU kids couldn't set foot on campus....Like you. Dummy!

Bashing Kelly still! It's truly unbelievable. The same fans that told me the Irish were going to win 6 games this year are bashing a 9-2 team. Yeah they lost to Georgia because of a miraculous 1 handed catch and sell out fans and got shelled by Miami, but they have beat some damn good football teams this year. IRISH have a lot returning next year. Beat Stanford! Win a big bowl game! Move forward

Sagarin rates our schedule as the 5th most difficult with a 4-2 record against top 30 teams. It stuns me the amount of vitriol some posters can conjure up against BK when he is 9-2 against this SOS. What can you say? Foaming at the mouth Pixies from Pixieville are what they are. 9-2 with a top 10 ranking doesn't even give them pause.

Sagarin rates our schedule as the 5th most difficult with a 4-2 record against top 30 teams. It stuns me the amount of vitriol some posters can conjure up against BK when he is 9-2 against this SOS. What can you say? Foaming at the mouth Pixies from Pixieville are what they are. 9-2 with a top 10 ranking doesn't even give them pause.

Hate is a powerful emotion.

We are 9-2 right now. We are ranked # 9 in both polls and are # 8 in the most recent playoff ranking. What about these facts is so difficult to understand?
You are clueless. What part of 4-8 do you not understand. No decent coach would ever have a record of 4-8 at ND. Keep drinking the kool aide

Reactions: TOMMY_23
My ? Actually was for pennick... was just wondering... he has a million posts and replies.... my initial guess was ... he only monitors this board.

You are clueless. What part of 4-8 do you not understand. No decent coach would ever have a record of 4-8 at ND. Keep drinking the kool aide

Like I said, drink some more piss. It will make you think that everything at ND is terrible. 2016 is over. Too bad the people on you insist on looking back at last year rather than what is going on now. But then, we know you don't want to have any positive thoughts about ND.

Not especially. I actually would have called more down the field passes. Short route passes only level the playing field against less athletic DBs. I also would have run Jones more. He seemed to have more burst then Adams.

Edit: we all realize that Navy also preps for the game: what do you think they expected “out of the gates?” Run, Run Run! So... let’s get BW two 6 yard curls to get Navy to move the 8th or 9th guy out of the box then we can open up the RPOs. Welp... BW missed two receivers. The 3rd down play was a head Scratcher, I can admit that.

Downfield passes plus up the middle runs, especially in the beginning. the pulling guard and tackle stuff towards 3rd and 4th quarters. however, BW was awful with his accuracy early on. that game would have been over early if hit some passes. People were complaining about the D but overall the D kept the game close.

Reactions: HRC08
Like I said, drink some more piss. It will make you think that everything at ND is terrible. 2016 is over. Too bad the people on you insist on looking back at last year rather than what is going on now. But then, we know you don't want to have any positive thoughts about ND.
keep living in mediocrity. True fans want greatness.

Downfield passes plus up the middle runs, especially in the beginning. the pulling guard and tackle stuff towards 3rd and 4th quarters. however, BW was awful with his accuracy early on. that game would have been over early if hit some passes. People were complaining about the D but overall the D kept the game close.
I agree, the D played pretty well although I saw a lot of missed tackles. This was something we haven't seen much of this year. Fundamentals much better this year.

Reactions: zonairish
This is year EIGHT not year two. Kelly has been a coach at ND as long or longer than most coaches in the top 25. I expected this team to be in the playoffs this season. Kelly has to win games against teams like Georgia and Miami. He has yet to do that. Beating good teams like a sparty or or SC this season should be expected from a coach that has been at ND for 8 years!

Has Kelly turned ND into an elite program? No way!

Then why is he getting paid like an elite coach?

Has ND ever been elite under Kelly? No!
That's the thing. He's not getting paid like an elite coach.
Of coaching salaries I believe he comes in around 25-35 range @ around 4 million per season +/- a few hundred k.

The old saying you get what you pay for has it's merits.

This year is a little like a coaching change with new coordinators and other assistants. I think of it as a fresh start and willing to give this staff another couple years. The fact we were even in the discussion for a playoff spot for a few weeks and actually ranked in the top 4 for a couple weeks is a welcome surprise. I think if we are struggling in a couple seasons then the admin needs to start considering other options. I root for this school and team, not any particular individual.

Hey stupid, read the post. I wasn't comparing coaches, only idiots like yourself that judge a season by a single game!

and who might that be ? have you not paid attention during the last 4 coaching searches ? no well established successful coach was even remotely interested in the job given the parameters in place. firing a guy coming off a 9 or 10 win season would be idiotic and make the job even less desirable than it already is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT