ADVERTISEMENT

Bashing Kelly

Dropkickirish

Shakes Down The Thunder
Dec 5, 2016
Bashing Kelly still! It's truly unbelievable. The same fans that told me the Irish were going to win 6 games this year are bashing a 9-2 team. Yeah they lost to Georgia because of a miraculous 1 handed catch and sell out fans and got shelled by Miami, but they have beat some damn good football teams this year. IRISH have a lot returning next year. Beat Stanford! Win a big bowl game! Move forward

I've never met a ND fan outside people here in my hometown. We are what we are; and we want to win! I remember the thirty losses that Coach Holtz hung on the program in 11 years = 5 outstanding years + 6 very good to mediocre seasons. I didn't care for Devine either. I have my own history of nuttiness too. I kinda view coach Kelly in the same light as Terry Brennan. They aren't the worse coaches but they are well back of the iconic trio too. After this season I'm for giving Coach another season or two, especially since the powers at ND have aleady ordained it. Father Jenkins and Jack Swarbrick are way above my paygrade.

Last edited:
I love the last few things you touched on, haha.

Beat Stanford! -Yea that’s something Kelly has proven he can’t do.

Win a big bowl game! -Again, something Kelly has proven he can’t do.

Maybe now you understand the frustration of some ND fans.

Reactions: 88ND and ndfi65
I love the last few things you touched on, haha.

Beat Stanford! -Yea that’s something Kelly has proven he can’t do.

Win a big bowl game! -Again, something Kelly has proven he can’t do.

Maybe now you understand the frustration of some ND fans.
How is your boy Fleck doing? Kelly has done a great job this year.

Reactions: mirer03
Consider the source of the Kelly bashing. A group of stone cold losers who know less than nothing about football. Then let their off the charts stupidity give you a good laugh and move on.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
How is your boy Fleck doing? Kelly has done a great job this year.
I rarely post on these forums . But I do linger around for knowledge about our football team. Pennick you provide nothing of substance. You disagree with anti Kelly posters...that is your right. But, all you do is call names with no facts to back up the fact. Kelly will always be an average coach. Deal with it.

Consider the source of the Kelly bashing. A group of stone cold losers who know less than nothing about football. Then let their off the charts stupidity give you a good laugh and move on.
You never coached a foot ball team. Not even a middle school team! Keep endorsing an average coach with elite talent on his door step.

I rarely post on these forums . But I do linger around for knowledge about our football team. Pennick you provide nothing of substance. You disagree with anti Kelly posters...that is your right. But, all you do is call names with no facts to back up the fact. Kelly will always be an average coach. Deal with it.
Blah,blah,blah
He has done a great job this year! Deal with it!

Last edited:
Reactions: mirer03
Bashing Kelly still! It's truly unbelievable. The same fans that told me the Irish were going to win 6 games this year are bashing a 9-2 team. Yeah they lost to Georgia because of a miraculous 1 handed catch and sell out fans and got shelled by Miami, but they have beat some damn good football teams this year. IRISH have a lot returning next year. Beat Stanford! Win a big bowl game! Move forward

Every time someone brings up Kelly’s performance against Top 10 teams or teams ranked higher, the reply is his record against 2nd tier teams or the question is ignored.

Until ND under Kelly can compete with the top tier teams he really is open to criticism. It is not 1 catch or 1 play or 1 loss. Eight years is a lot of games. ND is not about beating Miami of Ohio, but Miami of Florida.

But mostly, Why? Why start a thread trying to inflate what has been a mediocre coaching career? Why invite responses with more thoughts and more criticism? Why not just lie in wait for the next NC, so you can say “aha”!

Last edited:
Kelly has bounced back from the 4-8 disaster. Nobody can argue that and he deserves the credit for it just like he deserved the blame for last season. I think the Stanford game and the bowl game could be an indication of whether he can take ND to the next step or did he just bounce back to what his track record has shown over his 8 seasons an 8-9 win guy that can’t seem to win when he gets on the biggest stage.

No matter what happens whether you like him or hate him he has done what he needed to remain the coach. We will see how this plays out for the remainder of this season and will of course have next season as well. If it’s another 8-9 win campaign with horrible showings against elite teams on the big stage then you have your answer. Then it’s on the university if they are happy with what the average results Kelly is going to give you or are they committed to competing for championships.

We could also possibly see ND close strong this season and maybe that carries over next season and Kelly erases this doubt a lot of us have that he can’t win or even sometimes not have the team prepared when the stage is biggest and even if it took him 8 years to figure it out I would be fine with it if he finally takes the program to the next step.

Kelly has done great this year as opposed to the disaster of 4-8. I do not want to go down the road of Kelly's cockroaches, or he sucks. It is not necessary. There are 2 games left. 1 with Stanford. Stanford is a slightly very slightly above average team. I do not think Kelly has ever beat them @ Stanford. If he wins this game It is a step in the right direction. !0-2 is a very good record although disappointed we are not in the playoffs. Just as important is a New Years 6 bowl win. That will determine how far Kelly and the Irish program have come.

BK...has turned shit around this season....A COMPLETE 180!!!!.... but at the same time...I seen enough of BK.... to realize IMO... ND is to big for him... I’ve always ?... A lot of his decisions....Offensively.....Play calling sucked yesterday...you’re QB... has a problem with accuracy,fundamentals.... 3 straight passes to open up the game.... in a f....monsoon... brilliant!!!!!!!!.... in what year in his coaching tenure... are we gonna see... consistent SPECIAL TEAMS... the season is catching up to our players physically...please make decisions to protect them!!!

Kelly and Notre Dame have had a very good year and winning the next two games can make it a great year with a top 5 finish.

This team is young, played a very tough schedule and will be better against a softer slate in 2018.

The haters make me sick and do not know football.

Yes, he turned the team around this year after the disaster of 2016, but it just begs the question: How did 2016 happen in the first place?

He's not as bad as his critics say, and he's not as good as his supporters say.

He obviously fields a pretty decent team, but he is unable to adjust or prepare for big games.

Yesterday was a classic: Start the game with a quarterback who can't pass and call three straight passes in pouring rain into the wind. We were very fortunate to win that game after effectively squandering our first two drives for just three points and fumbling a punt.

He'll be the coach for another two seasons and then retire, with a record of inconsistency, some of it good, some of it head scratchingly bad.

Know hateres know football... that’s why we are so critical at times..... hate seeing the coach making awful decisions...that’s a detriment to the games outcome.... yesterday was a perfect example.... from snap 1.

Reactions: 88ND
This is year EIGHT not year two. Kelly has been a coach at ND as long or longer than most coaches in the top 25. I expected this team to be in the playoffs this season. Kelly has to win games against teams like Georgia and Miami. He has yet to do that. Beating good teams like a sparty or or SC this season should be expected from a coach that has been at ND for 8 years!

Has Kelly turned ND into an elite program? No way!

Then why is he getting paid like an elite coach?

Has ND ever been elite under Kelly? No!

Reactions: ndfi65
9-2 is Great? BK did not do a great job. He’s had a good year. The Irish were favored in all their games I believe besides Georgia. Wimbush is actually regressing IMO.
8th in the nation is great job! Wimbush has won several games with his dual threat ability.

8th in the nation is great job! Wimbush has won several games with his dual threat ability.

So 1988 and this year are great? I don’t think so. Very few teams in any competive sport is Great. To me Great in ND standards is winning the National Title. Navy going 9-2 and winning a big bowl is great. Wake Forrest which has won 44% of their D1 games has a different bar.

So 1988 and this year are great? I don’t think so. Very few teams in any competive sport is Great. To me Great in ND standards is winning the National Title. Navy going 9-2 and winning a big bowl is great. Wake Forrest which has won 44% of their D1 games has a different bar.
Don't watch. I am enjoying the season greatly.

Mayday,Mayday!
Fleck is taking over a team that has not been anything in over thirty years. He will build this team the way he built WM, from the ground up. By year 3 they will compete for a B10 championship.

Don't watch. I am enjoying the season greatly.
I bet you are enjoying it. ND is beating mid level top 25 teams. He cannot beat the really good ones. SC is there best win. SC has beat NO ONE this season.

Fleck is taking over a team that has not been anything in over thirty years. He will build this team the way he built WM, from the ground up. By year 3 they will compete for a B10 championship.
He stinks and he will never coach at ND because of his off field issues.

Shots fired at Pennick. I like!

Reactions: Zorich 88
Who deserves the credit ????? ..... Elko and Long .... Kelly can't even get credit for hiring them since he was forced to

Thank God for Elko and Long

Looks like Penny ran into a buzzsaw .... LOL!

Never read a Crabwalkers thread huh?

Last edited:
Reactions: hvillebill

So Harlem, question (and thoughts) here. You point out that Navy has a different standard (assuming the obvious of their being an Academy without the higher ranked recruits). I would agree with you about all academy schools. Would you agree or disagree that Stanford and Notre Dame should have somewhat different standards than Alabama, Clemson, Miami, etc? Based on the academic requirements and then adding the religious aspect on top for Notre Dame?

I took a look since our last natty in '88. 16 different schools have won or shared the national championship. Alabama (5x), Miami and Nebraska (3x), Ohio State, Florida, Florida State, USC and LSU (2x), and then Clemson, Auburn, Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Michigan, Washington, Colorado and GT all winning once. If you look at who lost in those games, for the most part it is the exact same list of characters. These schools have been dominating college football over the past 30 years. I don't profess to be an expert in college football nor do I know the real reasons why the Irish haven't been able to get back to a consistent level like these other schools.

But plenty has been written that seems to point to Recruiting and how that has changed over the years. How we used to have "the brand" advantage of being on TV all the time when other programs were not, a bit more "generous" admission practice under Lou that changed when he left, how we were slow to adopt more modern (i.e., social media) approaches towards recruiting, etc. I do also think this is an area where BK was "good but not great" until he made significant changes with his approach, philosophy, hiring of coaches that are in fact great recruiters, etc. Add onto this all of the other aspects, such as dealing with a different era of kid who is swayed by the big coaching personalities, newer & more modern facilities, and more.

So back to Stanford/Notre Dame. I started thinking about Stanford since they are a rival, have a similar challenge from the academics perspective and many Irish fans seem to like Shaw. Personally having grown up in the Bay Area, I'm not sure it's fair (from a recruiting perspective) to compare Palo Alto and California living to South Bend nor does Stanford have a religious aspect to deal with for some young men, but nonetheless.....

Shaw is 72-20 to date over his 7 seasons (ranging from 12-2 seasons to 8-5 in 2014). Very admirable. But what did he inherit? A team that went 12-1 and won the Orange Bowl over VT. Harbaugh inherited a Stanford team that went 1-11 before him, and then spent the next 4 years rebuilding (and going 29-21 along the way).

BK is 64-28 to date over his 8 seasons (ranging from 12-1 with a Natty Game loss to 4-8 last season). Also very admirable. However Kelly inherited a team that had gone 6-6 in 2009, and 16-21 overall from 2006-2009.

Who has the tougher schedule year after year (using Sagarin)? This year, it's close with the Irish having a 90.71 rating vs 85.25 for Stanford. Over the last 7 years:

Stanford Notre Dame

'17 85.25 90.71
'16 83.24 72.95
'15 90.71 86.65
'14 84.34 79.78
'13 91.57 79.80
'12 87.85 91.08
'11 90.48 79.91

Overall average: Stanford 87.63 Notre Dame 82.98

Bowl Advantage: Stanford w/6 Bowl games 4-2 record vs Notre Dame w/6 Bowl games 3-3 record

NC Advantage: Stanford no appearances vs Notre Dame w/1 appearance

Anyway, my overall point here was thinking about your comment of "to me Great in ND standards is winning the National Title" - In my opinion, to have such expectations would seem to require a running history or dynasty in something that justifies such an expectation. UConn's women's basketball and the U of MN's women's hockey are the only two existing that I could come up with outside of Alabama's current football run. If you are an Alabama fan, seems to me you'd be expecting them to compete for the natty every year right now based on the current run & history. Even Clemson fans could somewhat argue this right now. Outside of that, why would ANY other school's fans "expect" their team to have a standard of winning the National Title? Should Oklahoma have this expectation "every year" based on their '73-'80 run? USC's run ended in '08, FSU's in 2000, TX in '73, Miami in '92, etc.

Maybe the new standard can and should be to be competitive every year, to have great scholar-athletes playing for the university, having a coach that represents the school in a positive fashion, going to great Bowl games and winning "more than we lose," and hell yes, even winning a National Championship once in a while.

BK...has turned shit around this season....A COMPLETE 180!!!!.... but at the same time...I seen enough of BK.... to realize IMO... ND is to big for him... I’ve always ?... A lot of his decisions....Offensively.....Play calling sucked yesterday...you’re QB... has a problem with accuracy,fundamentals.... 3 straight passes to open up the game.... in a f....monsoon... brilliant!!!!!!!!.... in what year in his coaching tenure... are we gonna see... consistent SPECIAL TEAMS... the season is catching up to our players physically...please make decisions to protect them!!!

Did you bother looking at the Navy defense? Did you bother looking at the routes? Loaded box and two curl patterns and a sideline screen. Hardly asking Wimbush to complete double move pass routes there. Execution problem and not a bad play call. QBs should be able to complete wide open curl routes 9.5 out of 10 times.

This is year EIGHT not year two. Kelly has been a coach at ND as long or longer than most coaches in the top 25. I expected this team to be in the playoffs this season. Kelly has to win games against teams like Georgia and Miami. He has yet to do that. Beating good teams like a sparty or or SC this season should be expected from a coach that has been at ND for 8 years!

Has Kelly turned ND into an elite program? No way!

Then why is he getting paid like an elite coach?

Has ND ever been elite under Kelly? No!

Lol... wow.

4-8.

New Qb, new offensive coordinator and new defensive coordinator.

You “expected” (not hoped for?) 11-1 and one of only four teams in the CFP. I’m glad I’m not one of your kids or coworkers.

I’m all for high expectations but keeping them reasonable isn’t asking a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT