ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody watch the game again with a closer eye?

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
Looking for any extra insight about the players or position groups that might not have been obvious on first watch.

Looking for any extra insight about the players or position groups that might not have been obvious on first watch.
I can't comment on any personnel groupings, etc but I'm going to go out on a limb on the defense. Watching the game again today gave me confidence that against a traditional offense (e.g. Georgia, Michigan) this defense will hold it's own. The line constantly closed the pocket and Pass got big yards because they were man to man. L'ville capitalized on the element of surprise in the first quarter.

Watched much of it. Backs missed some lanes. There could have been a few more huge runs.

Center missed his assignment a few times which also would have added to the runs.

Coaches made a few bad calls pushing LB’s Up field leaving the QB run open (no spy).

Book missed a lot of open receivers to his backside. Read 1 and 2 consistently to his right or locked on chase. Missed at least 2 long TD passes.

Need more speed at RB. Need more dominant backers. Kicker has lots of action on his PaT, really live leg. Hope it stays true on Fg.

Receivers caught everything.

Book was way off target most of night in his signature short game.

Youngsters played really well.

Watched much of it. Backs missed some lanes. There could have been a few more huge runs.

Center missed his assignment a few times which also would have added to the runs.

Coaches made a few bad calls pushing LB’s Up field leaving the QB run open (no spy).

Book missed a lot of open receivers to his backside. Read 1 and 2 consistently to his right or locked on chase. Missed at least 2 long TD passes.

Need more speed at RB. Need more dominant backers. Kicker has lots of action on his PaT, really live leg. Hope it stays true on Fg.

Receivers caught everything.

Book was way off target most of night in his signature short game.

Youngsters played really well.

Could you cite the time on the game clock on the plays where you state that Book missed 2 long TD passes.

Thanks

Yes. Linebackers and DT will be a big problem all year against the run. Jalen elliot played poor. Line has ways to go in pass pro. Ian book panicked almost every pass play, and when he didn’t he obviously was holding back his happy feet like someone holding back a sneeze. Not impressive at all. I have genuine concerns this team underperforms this year.

Could you cite the time on the game clock on the plays where you state that Book missed 2 long TD passes.

Thanks

I will go back and find them. IIO did a great post already. The two I marked where in Q2.

Yes. Linebackers and DT will be a big problem all year against the run. Jalen elliot played poor. Line has ways to go in pass pro. Ian book panicked almost every pass play, and when he didn’t he obviously was holding back his happy feet like someone holding back a sneeze. Not impressive at all. I have genuine concerns this team underperforms this year.
I think the DTs and Linebackers adjusted well. UL took the edge rushers out of the game as Kareem and Okwara were way too amped up to get started and got put back on their heels by the option attack. Against a non option team I think those guys can be disruptive enough to help out the second level.

Reactions: chaseball
My concern is less with the defense and more with Book. He needs to be more consistent. His short range passing was horrendous and he was bailed out with good hands receivers multiple times.

My only concern with defense is the lag time it seems to take our d coordinator to make adjustments. We need same possession adjustments instead of half time adjustments. With Georgia and Michigan we can not afford to go down by 7 before making changes.

Reactions: 88ND
I think the DTs and Linebackers adjusted well. UL took the edge rushers out of the game as Kareem and Okwara were way too amped up to get started and got put back on their heels by the option attack. Against a non option team I think those guys can be disruptive enough to help out the second level.
I agree with this the first team defensive ends didn't really live up to the hype this game. And for that matter the entire front six disappointed

I thought Ogundeji had a really good game though with limited reps

Last edited:
I traveled to watch the game in Louisville great environment we sat two rows off the field. Book was terrible the only positive I can say was he is more athletic in person. But he's woefully small, doesn't go through progressions, can't feel pressure, and sees pressure that's not there. Positive is our oline can run block like hell. Gilmon missed a ton of tackles but I love what I saw from Drew White once we had him spy on the qb after the 4th freaking drive he was outstanding. It's the first game so maybe we were rusty.

Here are a few I saw as promised.

Q1. 2:24. TE and Slot wise open. Scramble out and takes a sack. Just needed to make a quick throw.

Q2 3:28 TE open down middle. Pulls it and runs. Can make that throw. They where playing off.

Q3. 10:50. Back turned. Fink open on curl. Blocker out in front. Pulled and ran

Others saw more. Just had a bad game. We all do. We just don’t have a million camera’s and critics watching us.

He is proven and will correct.

I don't need to watch a second time. Kind of comes from years of doing a certain something...

My concerns going in were not on defense as a collective unit.

I was worried about the offense and that hasn't changed.
Matter of fact my concerns got worse.

We are extremely pedestrian at running back, receiver and regressed back to average at QB.

Our lone big play guy last year is gone and nobody has replaced that. Not on the perimeter nor in the backfield.

We weren't some amazing offensive juggernaut last year and far worse this year.

Defensively we could be better than last year but our offense is not helping the cause.

Third and short we absolutely must convert. Must!

Even if we punt the next series of downs that extra few minutes of possession can help wonders giving the defense a rest.

If our offense can score and score a lot it really makes it easy and fun to play defense. You play more loose and fun. The other team is under pressure and will often times throw more etc.

I don't see that happening.

Drew white will be ok with some more games.
Lamb is fine too.

Bilal is the worst tackler since BVG stable of missed tackle kings.

BK sucks at special teams. It's a total afterthought and ge hates to practice it.

When was the last kick return we even tried.

It's constantly fair catch. He doesn't even practice it.

Ridiculous. Leaving field position and possibly points on the table.

Hamilton is really good and we'll be in a nickel pretty much most game so he can be on the field. He's too good to sit

We need to give Jahmir the ball more to figure out if he’s the guy, Tony Jones leaves too many yards on the field. He’s not the answer.

On defense Bilal and White are two guys the are simply not good enough to start on a playoff level team. Brian Kelly said he wasn’t happy with who was on the field in certain formations the other night, let’s give someone with a little more potential a chance and see what they can do.

We need to give Jahmir the ball more to figure out if he’s the guy, Tony Jones leaves too many yards on the field. He’s not the answer.

On defense Bilal and White are two guys the are simply not good enough to start on a playoff level team. Brian Kelly said he wasn’t happy with who was on the field in certain formations the other night, let’s give someone with a little more potential a chance and see what they can do.

Jones is a nice complimentary #2 or #3 back. A reliable guy that does his job. Not dynamic in the least, but does his job within the structure of the offense. I am intrigued by Jahmir Smith. He's a true "running back" in my mind. A guy that tends to end up at a school like Michigan State or North Carolina State and develops into a 1000 yard rusher who runs with a combination of speed and power... A natural runner who can produce behind an excellent offensive line.

His offer list coming out really made sense when you saw his running style...

Notre Dame
USC
Tennessee
Wisconsin
NC State
Duke
Northwestern
Nebraska

Etc, etc...

Not a list that is going to blow you away, but schools who traditionally look for tough kids who run with power. I have a feeling he will prove to be a nice one-two punch with Kyren William's for a couple years, while Chris Tyree does a bit of everything as the third man in what will be a heavy RB / Slot receiver rotation.

Here are a few I saw as promised.

Q1. 2:24. TE and Slot wise open. Scramble out and takes a sack. Just needed to make a quick throw.

Q2 3:28 TE open down middle. Pulls it and runs. Can make that throw. They where playing off.

Q3. 10:50. Back turned. Fink open on curl. Blocker out in front. Pulled and ran

Others saw more. Just had a bad game. We all do. We just don’t have a million camera’s and critics watching us.

He is proven and will correct.

Q1 2:24 Are you kidding me !

This is what happens when you listen to commentators rather than do your own evaluation..

“Wide open” ?
“Scramble” ?
You probably missed the blitzing defender who was on top of him in 2 seconds.

After book comes of his first read to the left and looks right 2 seconds after the snap, the blitzing defender is unchallenged and on top of him because the back failed to pick him up.

Q2 3:28. You say that the tight end is open down the middle ?

Evidently the tight end doesn’t know that because he never turns his head around to look for the ball until he’s 10 yards downfield.

The ball is snapped at 3:40, Book starts to scramble at 3:37 BEFORE the TE turns his head to look for the ball.

Q3 10:50. Finke is open, but there’s only one problem, the back of Book’s helmet doesn’t have holes in it that would allow him to see with the eyes in the back of his head.

His two primary receivers were to the right, not to the left where Finke was. Could he have turned and seen Finke ? Sure, but you want perfection and there’s no QB who was or will ever be perfect.

Bad game ? 61.2 % cp with an 8.4 YPA.

That’s your definition of a bad game, followed by a “W”

Our placekicker now reminds me of Fred Couples. He has a nice, easy, unhurried swing. I hope he keeps that rhythm all season.

Q1 2:24 Are you kidding me !

This is what happens when you listen to commentators rather than do your own evaluation..

“Wide open” ?
“Scramble” ?
You probably missed the blitzing defender who was on top of him in 2 seconds.

After book comes of his first read to the left and looks right 2 seconds after the snap, the blitzing defender is unchallenged and on top of him because the back failed to pick him up.

Q2 3:28. You say that the tight end is open down the middle ?

Evidently the tight end doesn’t know that because he never turns his head around to look for the ball until he’s 10 yards downfield.

The ball is snapped at 3:40, Book starts to scramble at 3:37 BEFORE the TE turns his head to look for the ball.

Q3 10:50. Finke is open, but there’s only one problem, the back of Book’s helmet doesn’t have holes in it that would allow him to see with the eyes in the back of his head.

His two primary receivers were to the right, not to the left where Finke was. Could he have turned and seen Finke ? Sure, but you want perfection and there’s no QB who was or will ever be perfect.

Bad game ? 61.2 % cp with an 8.4 YPA.

That’s your definition of a bad game, followed by a “W”
Do you believe in pre snap reads? First play you discuss, what should book do when he clearly should scan the field before every play, sees busted coverage with the slot wr completely uncovered? Should he A, stay on his first option to the boundary and throw it there? B, not even look at the obvious blitzing player who blew the coverage and then run right at him and take a sack? Or C, pee your pants a little laughing at how bad Louisville D is and just snap it and throw to wide open slot receiver for huge gain?

I refuted those criticisms.

Any moron can cite someone else’s posts, do your own homework and substantiate your claims with specific citations.

Maybe then you’ll go from a being a grunt to a chief
You didn’t refute them effectively, or at all really. In fact the same criticisms can be found by the folks at this website on their podcasts as well as the guys at irishillustrated and Sampson from the Athletic. That my opinion happens to match IIO or the folks that do this for a living is really a happy coincidence, and is not reflective of not doing my own homework. I’m sure you’ll ignore all this analysis for your own amateurish opinion but that’s ok bud, whatever you need to tell yourself.

Last edited:
Do you believe in pre snap reads? First play you discuss, what should book do when he clearly should scan the field before every play, sees busted coverage with the slot wr completely uncovered? Should he A, stay on his first option to the boundary and throw it there? B, not even look at the obvious blitzing player who blew the coverage and then run right at him and take a sack? Or C, pee your pants a little laughing at how bad Louisville D is and just snap it and throw to wide open slot receiver for huge gain?

I don’t care if the “experts” are wrong.

Now you’re Kreskin the Mentalist.

Are you going to sit there with a straight face and tell us that you knew that # 10 was going to blitz before the snap ?

Let us know what tell he revealed, pre-snap that indicated that he was going to blitz.

Especially since # 34 was directly in his path, pre-snap.

Then tell us why # 34, who was a few yards from # 10, didn’t exercise a pre-snap read that indicated that # 10 was going to blitz ?

Why did # 34 moveto his left after the snap, rather than stay where he was, allowing him to easily pick up the blitz.

20-20 hindsight makes everyone look like a genius.

And you didn’t know # 10 was blitzing until after the snap.

# 34 didn’t recognize that # 10 was blitzing after the snap, but you want us to believe that # 10 was going to blitz, pre-snap.

I call B.S. on you.

You didn’t refute them effectively, or at all really. In fact the same criticisms can be found by the folks at this website on their podcasts as well as the guys at irishillustrated and Sampson from the Athletic. That my opinion happens to match IIO or the folks that do this for a living is really a happy coincidence, and is not reflective of not doing my own homework. I’m sure you’ll ignore all this analysis for your own amateurish opinion but that’s ok bud, whatever you need to tell yourself.

Another 20-20 genius.

Let us know what pre-snap tell # 10 gave off that would lead a prudent to astute analyst to believe that # 10 was going to blitz.

Why didn’t # 34 know on the pre-snap read that #10 was going to blitz ?

Why did # 34 move to his left after the snap rather than pick #10 up ?

Why did both the QB and RB not detect on the pre-snap read that # 10 was going to blitz.

Why did # 34 realize that # 10 was blitzing post-snap if it was so obvious?

As I said, 20-20 hindsight makes novices seem like experts.

Answer the above questions if you can

Another 20-20 genius.

Let us know what pre-snap tell # 10 gave off that would lead a prudent to astute analyst to believe that # 10 was going to blitz.

Why didn’t # 34 know on the pre-snap read that #10 was going to blitz ?

Why did # 34 move to his left after the snap rather than pick #10 up ?

Why did both the QB and RB not detect on the pre-snap read that # 10 was going to blitz.

Why did # 34 realize that # 10 was blitzing post-snap if it was so obvious?

As I said, 20-20 hindsight makes novices seem like experts.

Answer the above questions if you can
20-20! Lol false. I posted a thread before the SECOND HALF on my concerns thatbook wasnt seeing his reads and scrambling too fast. This was before IIO or any of the experts released pods. Sorry bud starting to feel like you’ll just see what you want and contort reality to make yourself feel better. I do believe in him and think it’ll get worked out.

20-20! Lol false. I posted a thread before the SECOND HALF on my concerns thatbook wasnt seeing his reads and scrambling too fast. This was before IIO or any of the experts released pods. Sorry bud starting to feel like you’ll just see what you want and contort reality to make yourself feel better. I do believe in him and think it’ll get worked out.

Cite the plays, using the game clock where Book wasn’t seeing his reads.

Cite the plays, using the game clock, where Book was scrambling too fast.

You and others are predisposed to finding fault with him even if you have to manufacture questionable plays.

I’m less concerned about Book than I am about the OLine.

They need to protect Book and give him ample time to go downfield with the passing game.

Its already been done chief but the fact that you can asking for the same info in the face of overwhelming evidence then amet
Cite the plays, using the game clock where Book wasn’t seeing his reads.

Cite the plays, using the game clock, where Book was scrambling too fast.

You and others are predisposed to finding fault with him even if you have to manufacture questionable plays.

I’m less concerned about Book than I am about the OLine.

They need to protect Book and give him ample time to go downfield with the passing game.
Seeing as that’s been done already I’ll refrain. You have to be a real glutton for punishment to get dunked on so hard in all these threads then ask for it all over again. I’ll save you the go round and just say that I’ll agree to disagree with your POV. I believe in him and have seen him play better, here’s to a better game and season.

Reactions: nemeth#5
How do you plan on fixing those problems coaches? I hope you can before the trip to Georgia.

How do you plan on fixing those problems coaches? I hope you can before the trip to Georgia.
The fact he didn't before Clemson, and then the 8 months before Louisville makes me think we aren't going to get a QB comfortable in the pocket.

Here are some things I would do.

1. Call some plays that slide the pocket, not a role out, he doesn't have a strong enough arm to be throwing on the run a lot. But i'd like to see him slide to a side then still be able to stop and step into a throw

2. After he does the play action, some plays he needs to get more depth. He almost never gets any depth other than his initial shotgun. I'd like to see play action, then take a few more steps back to get depth and step into downfield throws.

3. Against NM they should do a similar plan as they did with Wimbush vs Ball State. ND wanted to see if Wimbush could execute a passing offense without running, he struggled at times. I would like to see ND tell Book you are not allowed to EVER leave the pocket vs NM. You can step up, slide a few steps, etc, but no tucking the ball after your first read isn't there. He needs to have his head up and ball ready to be thrown at all times. He needs to get hit IN THE POCKET NOT TRYING TO SCRAMBLE so he knows it's ok, and he'll be ok. You are allowed to be hit right after throwing the ball. The goal of a QB isn't to make throws untouched.

4. Finally, if none of the above works and he plays very poor vs Georgia, time to start working Jurk in because we need to see if we have an answer for 2020.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT