ADVERTISEMENT

ACC's top scheduling model: ND plays 10 ACC games +1 NC, eligible for CCG

Bumpdaddy

ND Expert
Oct 20, 2014
Brett McMurphy is reporting that the ACC's top scheduling model has ACC teams playing 10 conference games plus one non-conference. If ND accepts that format the ND games will count toward ACC standings. ACC beat writer David Teel adds that ND will also be eligible for the ACC CCG pending presidential approval.

None of this has been approved yet but it's good to see this is the most preferred model at this point. All the ND haters on Twitter are going crazy. They refuse to see how much value ND brings to an ACC conference-only schedule. I guess they enjoy seeing Clemson playing a 4-loss team in the CCG every year.

My guess is Navy will be the +1 for ND. This should be interesting to see if this all plays out.

I could care less about ND playing in the ACC championship game.
Generally, I agree, but if the best scheduling model ND has to work with involves them playing a 10-game ACC schedule just like all the other ACC teams, then I would rather they also be eligible to play in the CCG than not.

In 1969, somewhere between 80 and 95% of ND fans said they were 100% opposed to ND playing in bowls. In 1970, when ND was going to play in a bowl, well over 2/3rds of ND fans claimed they had no interest in bowls and never would. Some predicted that ND in bowls would ruin ND football.

ND won the Cotton Bowl that season, upsetting undefeated #1 ranked Texas, which had been undefeated National Champ the previous season.

I was one of the young ND fans more than ready for the Irish to play in bowls.

The 1970s was ND's best decade since the 1940s, and none of it could have come to pass without ND playing in bowls. The momentum was huge, even with some of the Old Guard causing trouble for Devine because they thought it a bit unseemly that ND had a former NFL coach. And that crowd was key to hiring Faust, because he sounded like a silly pre-WW2 movie script.

The only way that ND football is ever getting back to what it was in the 1970s is with full football membership in the ACC, and playing for ACC championships.

ACC Presidents to vote next week on a 10 conference game plus one OOC or 8 plus one. ND has to "opt in" for the 10 conference game schedule and details of what that means is not public. It is unclear how the opt in works as the ACC contract require revenue sharing from all sources.

Reactions: embargolifted
In 1969, somewhere between 80 and 95% of ND fans said they were 100% opposed to ND playing in bowls. In 1970, when ND was going to play in a bowl, well over 2/3rds of ND fans claimed they had no interest in bowls and never would. Some predicted that ND in bowls would ruin ND football.

ND won the Cotton Bowl that season, upsetting undefeated #1 ranked Texas, which had been undefeated National Champ the previous season.

The 1970s was ND's best decade since the 1940s, and none of it could have come to pass without ND playing in bowls. The momentum was huge, even with some of the Old Guard causing trouble for Devine because they thought it a bit unseemly that ND had a former NFL coach. And that crowd was key to hiring Faust, because he sounded like a silly pre-WW2 movie script.

The only way that ND football is ever getting back to what it was in the 1970s is with full football membership in the ACC, and playing for ACC championships.

Please. I don't want to hear it. Don't give me what happened 50 years ago. ND playing in the ACCCG does zero for me. Zip. Nada. None. Nil.

Right now, I could care less who we play as long as we play. I bet our football team would respond with a unanimous, YES.

Reactions: IrishMike409

The only way that ND football is ever getting back to what it was in the 1970s is with full football membership in the ACC, and playing for ACC championships.[/Q
I don't think much of what you've written here is accurate. Until 1968, national championships were decided by voters before the bowl games. ND thought it was pointless to play in a meaningless game after the fact, and really, it does sound dumb. Imagine winning the national championship and then losing a bowl game a few weeks later? Who would want to detract from their season like that? Imagine trying to get motivated for a game after winning a national championship.

Beginning in 1968, the AP decided not to vote on the final rankings until after the bowl games. I don't think there is any chance there were "80 to 95% of ND fans who said they were 100% opposed to ND playing in bowls" in 1969. I was alive then and I don't remember anything like that. I can't imagine there were too many fans thinking it was smart to opt-out of playing in a bowl game when it could help them win a national championship. There is a reason ND changed its bowl stance specifically in 1969. Their decision didn't come out of nowhere. It was a very good decision and I don't think there is any real evidence that fans disagreed.

Regardless, playing in bowls and playing in a conference are two very different things. Playing in bowl games never posed a threat to ND's national identity. Playing in a conference does. Trying to equate what ND fans thought about bowl games, as if they were being shortsighted (they weren't given the circumstances), as being the same as fans not wanting to join a conference is faulty logic.

I don't think much of what you've written here is accurate. Until 1968, national championships were decided by voters before the bowl games. ND thought it was pointless to play in a meaningless game after the fact, and really, it does sound dumb. Imagine winning the national championship and then losing a bowl game a few weeks later? Who would want to detract from their season like that? Imagine trying to get motivated for a game after winning a national championship.

Beginning in 1968, the AP decided not to vote on the final rankings until after the bowl games. I don't think there is any chance there were "80 to 95% of ND fans who said they were 100% opposed to ND playing in bowls" in 1969. I was alive then and I don't remember anything like that. I can't imagine there were too many fans thinking it was smart to opt-out of playing in a bowl game when it could help them win a national championship. There is a reason ND changed its bowl stance specifically in 1969. Their decision didn't come out of nowhere. It was a very good decision and I don't think there is any real evidence that fans disagreed.

Regardless, playing in bowls and playing in a conference are two very different things. Playing in bowl games never posed a threat to ND's national identity. Playing in a conference does. Trying to equate what ND fans thought about bowl games, as if they were being shortsighted (they weren't given the circumstances), as being the same as fans not wanting to join a conference is faulty logic.

This is really an excellent post. This poster is spot on.

You dinosaurs and your "threat to national identity" crap are NEVER going to let it go, are you?

Notre Dame had a "national identity" from the 20's to the 80's because hey guess what; there were like 15 relevant college football programs and they happened to be the 1 there from the beginning. What's their national identity now? Oh yeah; it's falling flat on their faces when they play a really good team. I'm sure Clemson really struggles with national identity.

You all sound like MLB fans who completely refuse to change ANYTHING about it to try and adapt with the times because of the "purity of the game." Makes me want to puke. You'd rather see what you love die and stay the same forever than acknowledge that times change and to stay relevant you need, to some extent, to adapt along with them.

Brett McMurphy is reporting that the ACC's top scheduling model has ACC teams playing 10 conference games plus one non-conference. If ND accepts that format the ND games will count toward ACC standings. ACC beat writer David Teel adds that ND will also be eligible for the ACC CCG pending presidential approval.

None of this has been approved yet but it's good to see this is the most preferred model at this point. All the ND haters on Twitter are going crazy. They refuse to see how much value ND brings to an ACC conference-only schedule. I guess they enjoy seeing Clemson playing a 4-loss team in the CCG every year.

My guess is Navy will be the +1 for ND. This should be interesting to see if this all plays out.

I like it for this one year. Im all for it

Reactions: TOMMY_23
Remember the plus one schedule would be in effort to try and have ACC teams keep their SEC rivalry games. Which means Clemson, Louisville and Georgia Tech. Two of those schools are the better teams on the schedule. Including the best team on the schedule. Just cancel the season already.

ND might end up adding Miami, BC and Cuse, ugh, ND might not play a team with a winning record all year.

and they could play Clemson twice

You dinosaurs and your "threat to national identity" crap are NEVER going to let it go, are you?

Notre Dame had a "national identity" from the 20's to the 80's because hey guess what; there were like 15 relevant college football programs and they happened to be the 1 there from the beginning. What's their national identity now? Oh yeah; it's falling flat on their faces when they play a really good team. I'm sure Clemson really struggles with national identity.

You all sound like MLB fans who completely refuse to change ANYTHING about it to try and adapt with the times because of the "purity of the game." Makes me want to puke. You'd rather see what you love die and stay the same forever than acknowledge that times change and to stay relevant you need, to some extent, to adapt along with them.

"Purity of the game" is some made-up rationale you came up with. ND fans don't want to remain independent because of the purity of the game.

We have a national identity whether or not we fall flat on our faces. Hence, our TV contract, ratings, and following.

The fact other teams garner national prominence while in a conference has no bearing on why it is still smart for us to want to remain independent. We are a small, midwestern school in South Bend, Indiana and yet we have a national identity and multiple suitors who were willing to give us the same deal the ACC gave us. Can you come up with any other comparables?

There is nothing we need to adapt to.

Don't let the pearls you are clutching very hard fall on the floor and land in the puddle of puke you are standing in.

Reactions: echowaker

"I could care less about ND playing in the ACC championship game."

I can see your point since ND is technically not a full time member, but, if they want us for a full conference schedule, and for a 1 time shot -- why not?

Now -- will it happen -- highly doubtful.

Reactions: Weisnheimer

You want to go pull for Clemson? Then go pull for Clemson.

That just doesn't sound right to me. I was under the impression most ND fans had an about time attitude in 1969. Who wouldn't be excited about playing number 1 Texas in the Cotton Bowl. What amazed me about this thread was ND actually lost the 1970 Cotton Bowl on a late score by Texas 21-17. I kept waiting for somebody to bring up that fact. ND won the rematch in the 1971 Cotton Bowl 24-11.

ACC Presidents to vote next week on a 10 conference game plus one OOC or 8 plus one. ND has to "opt in" for the 10 conference game schedule and details of what that means is not public. It is unclear how the opt in works as the ACC contract require revenue sharing from all sources.

I like how this is kind of thrown in last as an afterthought or whatever, but anybody with a little bit of critical thinking skills and common sense knows that the money part of the equation--the terms of the revenue sharing--will mean everything.

Hopefully Swarbrick and the ACC commissioner can come to terms.

I'd much prefer a 10 conference game schedule and then a rematch vs Clemson in the ACC CG, than whatever schedule ND is working with right now with USC, Stanford, and Wisconsin omitted.

Would be REALLY COOL if the one out of conference game is the rumored opener vs Alabama. I would give Swarbrick MAJOR credit for that.

Can you imagine how much the perception of the program would change if ND beats Alabama in week 1, and then Clemson during the middle of the season, and then again in the conference championship game?

Going 3-0 vs Alabama, and Clemson x2...WHOA! Now that would move the needle on the program!

Awesome topic with lots of great information and anecdotes about NDs history you can't find anywhere else. Bravo!

Last edited:
Reactions: Weisnheimer

Non Sequitur: It does not follow.

"I could care less about ND playing in the ACC championship game."

I can see your point since ND is technically not a full time member, but, if they want us for a full conference schedule, and for a 1 time shot -- why not?

Because it's a step towards dependence. People who want us to become dependent can use it is as cover, and then as a precedent remember how that one time we had a shot at the ACC title, everyone was so happy. a real independent does not covet the table scraps the land bound serfs can get from the conference table.

Reactions: NDSMC78
I wish the ACC would not schedule the Irish beyond the contractual five games....why change now?

Stay independent...let the schedule sink or swim without additional ACC help....

Reactions: tbonesays
I wish the ACC would not schedule the Irish beyond the contractual five games....why change now?

Stay independent...let the schedule sink or swim without additional ACC help....
I don't think making a one-off "change" to best deal with a once-in-a-century occurrence is a negative for us. Besides, the ACC isn't the one scheduling us beyond the 5 contractual games. It's the ACC offering to schedule us beyond 5 contractual games and us agreeing to it, and why not? It's not like there are a lot of better scheduling options out there. And if we were able to cobble together some other schedule, will it give us a better chance to make the playoffs?

I think a lot of ACC fans and college football fans, in general, are ridiculous when the cry about ND getting special treatment as if we don't bring a lot to the ACC. And I think the reverse is also true too. I think our arrangement with the ACC is a good one for us and I don't think we should poke them in the eye by saying "we'll play who we want to play" during a season - a freakish season in which 2 other conferences have already declared conference only and have thus removed some options and flexibility with ND's schedule - where it benefits both parties to play conference only.

Besides, whatever schedule is finalized, we'll all be lucky if even one game is played.

I don't think making a one-off "change" to best deal with a once-in-a-century occurrence is a negative for us. Besides, the ACC isn't the one scheduling us beyond the 5 contractual games. It's the ACC offering to schedule us beyond 5 contractual games and us agreeing to it, and why not? It's not like there are a lot of better scheduling options out there. And if we were able to cobble together some other schedule, will it give us a better chance to make the playoffs?

I think a lot of ACC fans and college football fans, in general, are ridiculous when the cry about ND getting special treatment as if we don't bring a lot to the ACC. And I think the reverse is also true too. I think our arrangement with the ACC is a good one for us and I don't think we should poke them in the eye by saying "we'll play who we want to play" during a season - a freakish season in which 2 other conferences have already declared conference only and have thus removed some options and flexibility with ND's schedule - where it benefits both parties to play conference only.

Besides, whatever schedule is finalized, we'll all be lucky if even one game is played.

I liked the independence of scheduling anyone for all these years PRE-AGREEMENT with the ACC. I thought that was the stupid blunder of all time, this agreement of 5 games. Why do that? No CG. But by all means, give the ACC some relevance. I know times change and gone are the days of big schools like Penn St and Miami and I think Pitt were independent and conf. money made sense for them, but If football is so necessary to remain independent for ND and most here, Why couldn't Swar brickhead keep ND independent? Tied down to 5 games is not independent. And no Championship game.

I say in for 5; in for 50. Join the damn conference and at least get a chance for a CC and more, since again, Swarbrick tied us into a conference WITHOUT getting a chance to win a Conf. Championship. Was and still is a stupid agreement IMO.

Amazed at the people that would rather have no season than play in the ACC, what a bunch of damned fools.

If, and a big if ND won the ACCCG this season, would be incredible to walk into the conference and dethrone Clemson.

Reactions: Golson5

Well....

$$$$$$$

Dolla Bills has always impacted thing . Always has...always will.

Having said that I don't want to see ND do anything conference affiliated.

Doing the bare minimum so our mens basketball can get shellacked every year is dumb in itself but oh well...

Playing 10 teams and then a possible ccg...

Not no but hell no.

I liked the independence of scheduling anyone for all these years PRE-AGREEMENT with the ACC. I thought that was the stupid blunder of all time, this agreement of 5 games. Why do that? No CG. But by all means, give the ACC some relevance. I know times change and gone are the days of big schools like Penn St and Miami and I think Pitt were independent and conf. money made sense for them, but If football is so necessary to remain independent for ND and most here, Why couldn't Swar brickhead keep ND independent? Tied down to 5 games is not independent. And no Championship game.

I say in for 5; in for 50. Join the damn conference and at least get a chance for a CC and more, since again, Swarbrick tied us into a conference WITHOUT getting a chance to win a Conf. Championship. Was and still is a stupid agreement IMO.
Football, obviously, still rules at ND but that doesn't mean the other sports don't matter. When conference realignment was happening, it became a game of musical chairs and no one wanted to be left without a chair when the music stopped. Swarbrick had two options: join a power 5 conference for all other sports or take their chances with a group of 5 conference and hope it didn't implode as many conferences were doing at the time. Joining a group of 5 conference, or even staying with the Big East, likely would have given ND more flexibility with the football program. Some conference likely would have offered a deal for the other sports with no strings attached for football - I'm sure the Big East was willing to do that since they no longer had a football conference - but Swarbrick wanted stability so he opted for a P5 conference. Of course, doing so came with some strings and I'm OK with that. 5 contractual games isn't that big of a deal to me. It still allows ND to schedule just about anybody they want each year. They also get bowl tie-ins that they might not have gotten if they had remained totally independent.

I'd rather that ND was still totally independent too, but I think we got the best deal for all the sports programs as we could.

Football, obviously, still rules at ND but that doesn't mean the other sports don't matter. When conference realignment was happening, it became a game of musical chairs and no one wanted to be left without a chair when the music stopped. Swarbrick had two options: join a power 5 conference for all other sports or take their chances with a group of 5 conference and hope it didn't implode as many conferences were doing at the time. Joining a group of 5 conference, or even staying with the Big East, likely would have given ND more flexibility with the football program. Some conference likely would have offered a deal for the other sports with no strings attached for football - I'm sure the Big East was willing to do that since they no longer had a football conference - but Swarbrick wanted stability so he opted for a P5 conference. Of course, doing so came with some strings and I'm OK with that. 5 contractual games isn't that big of a deal to me. It still allows ND to schedule just about anybody they want each year. They also get bowl tie-ins that they might not have gotten if they had remained totally independent.

I'd rather that ND was still totally independent too, but I think we got the best deal for all the sports programs as we could.
It's one sport. Men's basketball.

I hate once again to butt into this interesting conversation BUT ND is playing six ACC teams this season, not five. I would rather see ND fill out the season with good ACC opponents than weak independents or none at all. I hope we realize that it was Rockne's desire for ND to join the now Big whatever in 1925. It was Ohio State and Michigan that blocked the Irish back in the day. ND needs a home for their Olympic sports programs and the ACC is an excellent choice. I personally see joining the ACC in football as the fulfillment of Rockne's dream. The Ramblers have finally found a home for their football program.

I hate once again to butt into this interesting conversation BUT ND is playing six ACC teams this season, not five. I would rather see ND fill out the season with good ACC opponents than weak independents or none at all. I hope we realize that it was Rockne's desire for ND to join the now Big whatever in 1925. It was Ohio State and Michigan that blocked the Irish back in the day. ND needs a home for their Olympic sports programs and the ACC is an excellent choice. I personally see joining the ACC in football as the fulfillment of Rockne's dream. The Ramblers have finally found a home for their football program.

blasphemy

blasphemy

The history of how ND became independent is certainly related to the issues with the Big Ten many decades ago, but it was not considered unique until 1990. ND won a national championship in the 80's, independent Penn State won two and independent Miami won three in the same decade. Being independent was not an impediment to getting a national championship. Ironically it changed when the NCAA lost its 1984 Supreme Court case that allowed colleges to freely negotiate its TV rights. But networks did not want to have multiple individual contracts with a bunch of schools. That is why Miami, Syracuse, Penn State, Virginia Tech, FSU, Boston College had to joins the conferences they did. In 1991, the biggest single conference TV contract was for ACC basketball, and that became the model for football. So although the conferences were expanded and realigned because of money, they also eventually changed the pathway to a national championship. For even more money.

Except for ND. In 1990 they began their home field game TV relationship with NBC. It was a clever move that could not be replicated by any other school. But it happened before the growth of cable. Sure, NBC is a free channel and it gives ND massive exposure. But does it give that exposure anymore if NBC is not a player in college football programming? Many people believe that this TV relationship survives because of ND's independence. We outsiders think that it's that contract which is keeping ND independent. And we also think that NBC is getting ND on the cheap.

CBS was paying the SEC $51M a year to televise the one SEC game of the week. Of course, that has to be split 14 ways. But CBS refused to increase the annual payment when the SEC expanded with Texas A&M. Bad move. ESPN will now have the contract ....rumored that it may be as high as $300M. For 14 games starting in 2024. Each member will get more than what ND is getting from NBC. Admittedly, the SEC contract includes home and away games. The current ACC contract, like all conference contracts, are heavily weighted towards conference games. That's because every conference member has the same number of home games, so basically every conference game has a conference home team. ND does get an ACC payout currently, but it is reduced because when it comes to football, there is an amount related to ND away games at ACC stadiums. It's not much. It's never more than three games a year. How can ND better maximize the value of its away games?

Does anyone compete against NBC for that contract? It keeps getting extended, but I don't know how much competition there is for it. Are you sure you are getting paid enough?

This week will be very interesting. Many in the media and many message boards will ask if there will be "revenue sharing". I'm not. I will be looking to see if ND is more valuable as a conference member eligible for a conference championship or as an independent.

At the end of the day, if being independent is more valuable than being in a conference, that is your decision. And you don't have to defend it. But I have been following these conference contracts since FSU joined the ACC. It's a very interesting history, and it's way different now than in 1992. And it does impact behavior. Like a Trojan horse.

Was it stability or was it a way to make his job much easier?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT