ADVERTISEMENT

A couple of thoughts on Tom Brady. Share yours.

“Joe had Rice and company”

Rice was only there for two. His first crew was bill ring, earl cooper, Dwight Clark, and very old Freddie Solomon and Charlie young. Plus, a couple of those early Super Bowls were more about the pats defense than offense. But, I’m not arguing that he’s not the best. But to say it’s not even close is a stretch, IMO. If joe played w/ these rules, I think he’d get close to matching Brady’s 6-3 record. I think the thing that Brady has on Montana is longevity & he didn’t miss as much time as joe. They’re 1 & 2 in my mind. Very close
Rice Craig Clark Lott Haley Romanowski Taylor etc etc. 49ers were loaded

I will bet you that Tom Brady will win the super bowl against the chiefs. Strictly a "gentlemens bet". No drama just bragging rights.
Tampa Bays defense is playing at a higher level then when they played the chiefs earlier this season and they only lost by 3 points.

*** To the board.--- I like Tom Brady because he would smile at my post. Aaron Rodgers would scowl. That is one of the reasons Tom Brady has won so many super bowls. He accepts people as they are and he is a great team mate. He makes everyone around him play harder.
"He accepts people as they are and he is a great team mate."

So you know him personally?

What kept Joe among the mortals was injuries. He was never the same after the elbow injury. You can take Tom Brady and that's good; I'll take a healthy Joe Montana any day of the week and three times on Sunday.
Without a doubt the greatest winner of them all was #6 of the Boston Celtics--the man himself Bill Russell. He won the Brass Ring 11 times with his teammates help. He beat Wilt Chamberlain's team six times in game 7 of the finals by a total of 7 points. He simply refused to lose.

Reactions: BGI User 1596
“Rice Craig Clark Lott Haley Romanowski Taylor etc etc. 49ers were loaded”

Rice and Taylor were only there for two. None of those players mentioned were there for the first one except Clark. Craig was a fb in the ‘84 super bowl. Then moved to tb for the last two. Don’t get me wrong, they were loaded but they got more loaded offensively as the years went on. The niners were 2-14 in ‘79 and after being inserted into the starting lineup midway thru the year in ‘80 for Steve deberg (a really good qb in his own right), they won the super bowl a year and a half later. Joe made a bad team great. Brady came onto the scene w/ a great team to start w/. But as I said, I’m not making an argument against Brady as much as I’m disagreeing w/ the “not even close” reference.

Reactions: thomas7

Rice and Taylor were only there for two. None of those players mentioned were there for the first one except Clark. Craig was a fb in the ‘84 super bowl. Then moved to tb for the last two. Don’t get me wrong, they were loaded but they got more loaded offensively as the years went on. The niners were 2-14 in ‘79 and after being inserted into the starting lineup midway thru the year in ‘80 for Steve deberg (a really good qb in his own right), they won the super bowl a year and a half later. Joe made a bad team great. Brady came onto the scene w/ a great team to start w/. But as I said, I’m not making an argument against Brady as much as I’m disagreeing w/ the “not even close” reference.
Your facts are wrong. The year before Brady was a starter the Pats were 5 and 11. The year he took over they were 0 and 2. Bb was on the hot seat at 5 and 13 to start so not a true statement by you. Craig was a fullback because tyler was good and they formed a nasty one two punch. Don't forget eric wright and Ronnie lott and that secondary was awesome

49ers were loaded offensively and defensively.

Last edited:

Completely accurate. Based on the body of work and accomplishments, I will say Brady is deserving of the GOAT moniker. I disagree with those who say no one is even close. I will add this. It really is a credit to Brady that he is able to play at age 43 and play at a high level. However, he has not taken the hits and abuse QBs took back in the 60's 70's and 80's. If anyone doesn't think the QBs then weren't hit, go back and look at some film. The hits clearly took its toll on those players. Unlike today where the QB is protected way more with the rules they have in place. Also, the game is more passing and it has evolved to the point where getting rid of the ball from the shotgun makes it harder to get to the QB.

Reactions: irishalice
What kept Joe among the mortals was injuries. He was never the same after the elbow injury. You can take Tom Brady and that's good; I'll take a healthy Joe Montana any day of the week and three times on Sunday.
Without a doubt the greatest winner of them all was #6 of the Boston Celtics--the man himself Bill Russell. He won the Brass Ring 11 times with his teammates help. He beat Wilt Chamberlain's team six times in game 7 of the finals by a total of 7 points. He simply refused to lose.
Comparing QB’s from one era to another is damn near impossible as the game, size, speed, rules, etc... continues to evolve. Comparing athletes from one sport to another even more so. That said, as a Laker fan growing up, no player frustrated me more than the great Bill Russel, a player deserving of being in the goat discussion, and yet seemingly forgotten by the younger generations.

Reactions: IrishHerb
Comparing QB’s from one era to another is damn near impossible as the game, size, speed, rules, etc... continues to evolve. Comparing athletes from one sport to another even more so. That said, as a Laker fan growing up, no player frustrated me more than the great Bill Russel, a player deserving of being in the goat discussion, and yet seemingly forgotten by the younger generations.
What about the great Larry Bird!!! Lol.....Growing up a Celtics fan, it was awesome watching them play the Lakers. Talk about a rivalry!

Reactions: tbonesays and Telx1
What about the great Larry Bird!!! Lol.....Growing up a Celtics fan, it was awesome watching them play the Lakers. Talk about a rivalry!
Chamberlain vs Russell
Baylor vs Satch Sanders
West vs Sam and KC Jones
Magic vs Bird
and many many more...great rivalry for sure!

Reactions: jcswoopnh
If Tom loses the super bowl he will be the all time leader with super bowl losses--tied with Jim Kelly. Will this endanger his induction into Canton?
Will he get an asterisk after his name if he gets in?

Also, on the more positive side. I think there is an outside chance that Tom ends up winning just as many super bowls with Tampa then he did with New England just to spite Bill Billichik.
Tom has an incredible genetic makeup. Physically, Mentally and spiritually. I think he plays until he is fifty.

*** Those are my thoughts. He is the man of the hour. I would like to hear what the board thinks about Tom.
Terry Bradshaw said Sunday that Brady was the best quarterback in the past 20 years. Lol. He’s the best ever and it’s not close. Win or lose, the guy is 43 and he is the reason his team is in the super bowl. Apparently he’s also the offensive coach most of the time. Crazy. He’s the greatest sports hero of all time in my opinion.
He has dominated in multiple decades and the game has changed since his first Super Bowl but he looks every bit as good now as he did in 2002. Tom Brady is the goat of all time of all sports.

Reactions: Golson5
I always enjoyed watching Willis Reed trading blows with Wilt Chamberlain. I never thought of Larry Bird being the great anything. He did remind me a lot of a modern day version of John Havlicek.

Not only is he the greatest QB of all-time, IMHO he is in the top 10 professional athletes of all- time. He has the ability to make every player better
I was responding to this post when I mentioned Bill Russell. I use to live for Sunday afternoon NBA games. A lot of the time you could see Wilt play back then in the glory days of the NBA. I still believe Wilt Chamberlain was the greatest basketball player of all time.

Bodi, I will take that bet and if I lose i will not post on this board til ND football season starts lol no one will miss me lol if you lose no posting til ND season starts, your welcome rest of this board.
I actually hope bucs win for bruce arians but i will go for the cheifs for this bet

NDskins, I take that bet. I have other things on my mind right now and don't post much. I'll take Tom and the bucs in a no post on this message board until the week of ND's first game. It'll add some fun to this year's Super Bowl. We can still come here to visit; BUT no posting until next season-August 29. Take my bet and let's have some fun--Jackie approved.

As mentioned the Drew Bledsoe Pats just couldn't win the big one.
He could rack up a lot of yards if everything went well but was a statue of limitations when the going got tough.

Brady's cast was interesting. Only once did he have the biggest baddest WR and it ended in 18-1. A constantly rotating cast of somewhat overlooked B+ receivers was enough; like nobody at ND suspected David Givens would be catching Superbowl TD passes.

The defense was a necessary side kick. A few times I felt the Pats had the best shutdown corner (Ty Law, Assante Samuel Sr).

Chamberlain vs Russell
Baylor vs Satch Sanders
West vs Sam and KC Jones
Magic vs Bird
and many many more...great rivalry for sure!

TB was in a 3 way rivalry with the Colts and Steelers. Lot's of really exciting games that went down to the wire.

I always enjoyed watching Willis Reed trading blows with Wilt Chamberlain. I never thought of Larry Bird being the great anything. He did remind me a lot of a modern day version of John Havlicek.
A better version of Havlicek yes

NDskins, I take that bet. I have other things on my mind right now and don't post much. I'll take Tom and the bucs in a no post on this message board until the week of ND's first game. It'll add some fun to this year's Super Bowl. We can still come here to visit; BUT no posting until next season-August 29. Take my bet and let's have some fun--Jackie approved.
Cool. I wasn't around much pass 3.5 yrs due to family health. I understand sometimes you just need to be away. Will be watching some hockey and baseball anyways, get away from recruiting news of 17 year old kids.

Greatest qb and football player ever. Probably greatest team sport athlete ever. Living legend
Disagree & I start by saying football is too large a team sport to be a true GOAT. 22 starters 3-5 special team guys, 3rd & 4th WR's, extra TE Nickel & Dime Corners, DE pass rushers ect... it really takes 40-45 guys to win a title.
Then you gotta look at the numbers. Brady hasnt been a revolutionary QB. He has been pretty average in the bulk of his Super Bowls. No doubt he is clutch but in most cases he shouldnt have had to be. I view him more as a Bill Russell type player. Great winner but no where near a game changing player.

STL SB:
NE D actually outscored the Rams 7-3 thru 3 quarters. (Spygate era) Brady only manufactored 13pts on 145 passing 0 TDs 0 TO

Car SB:
NE D holds Car. to 10pts thru 3 (Spygate era) Brady plays well 354 3 Tds 1 Int.

PHI SB:
NE D holds Phi to 14 pts thru 3. (Spygate Era) Brady a very game managerish performance 236 2 tds 1 TO

NYG SB
NE D holds NYG to 3pts thru 3 qrts. Brady was horrible barely above 50% on 49 throws for 236 1TD & 1 TO

NYG SB
NE D once again played good enough to win. Brady was once again sub-par 276 2TD's 1 Int 1 intentional grounding that led to a safety.

Seattle SB
Brady once again bailed out by the NE D. Despite Brady's 2 Ints NE D makes the goal line stand of goal line stands. How Sea didnt give it to Beastmode will be one if the biggest blunders in Super Bowl History. Brady stats 328 4Tds 2Ints (Legion of Boom Secondary desimated by injury in 2nd half)

Atl Super Bowl
One of NE D's best performances only gives up 21 pts. Overcame Brady's inept play for 3 quarters including a Pick 6. They hold Atl to 7 in 2nd half & force a turnover deep inside Atl territory to turn the game
Brady's stats 466 2Tds 1 Int

SB PHI

The one Superbowl NE D didnt play well yet Brady's dropped QB pass & late game fumble was what cost NE the game. Still Brady played good enough to win
505 3 Tds 1 fumble

LA SB

NE D allows only 3pts one of greatest defensive performances ever. Brady was absolutely horrible 254 0Tds 1 Int

....Bailed out throwing for 328 yards and 4tds and 2 ints
....inept passing for 466 yards 2tds and 1 int
....good enough to win passing for 505 yards 3tds and 1 fumble.
Not sure what standard you use for good performance in the most important game of the year on the biggest stage, etc... He was damn impressive by my standards.

....Bailed out throwing for 328 yards and 4tds and 2 ints
....inept passing for 466 yards 2tds and 1 int
....good enough to win passing for 505 yards 3tds and 1 fumble.
Not sure what standard you use for good performance in the most important game of the year on the biggest stage, etc... He was damn impressive by my standards.
Brady was inept the 1st 3 quarters in the Atl Super Bowl. Threw a pick 6 & only manufactured 10pts. If NE defense doesnt play lights out & hold Atl to 21 pts there is no comeback to be had.
NE pos vs Alt
1st 3 & out
2nd 9 plays punt
3rd 5 plays fumble
4th 3 & out
5th Pick 6
6th FG
7th 3 & out
8th TD
9th NE D forces fumble at 25 leads to TD

Seattle despite throwing 2 Ints NE D held Seattle to 14 pts in 1st half & 10pts in 2nd including game winning goalline stand. Defense won that game for NE Brady was not good
NE defense held opponents to 24 pts or less in 7 of 9 Superbowls
Brady manufactored 17pts or less in 4 Super Bowls & yet NE was still 2-2 in those games.

Disagree & I start by saying football is too large a team sport to be a true GOAT. 22 starters 3-5 special team guys, 3rd & 4th WR's, extra TE Nickel & Dime Corners, DE pass rushers ect... it really takes 40-45 guys to win a title.
Then you gotta look at the numbers. Brady hasnt been a revolutionary QB. He has been pretty average in the bulk of his Super Bowls. No doubt he is clutch but in most cases he shouldnt have had to be. I view him more as a Bill Russell type player. Great winner but no where near a game changing player.

STL SB:
NE D actually outscored the Rams 7-3 thru 3 quarters. (Spygate era) Brady only manufactored 13pts on 145 passing 0 TDs 0 TO

Car SB:
NE D holds Car. to 10pts thru 3 (Spygate era) Brady plays well 354 3 Tds 1 Int.

PHI SB:
NE D holds Phi to 14 pts thru 3. (Spygate Era) Brady a very game managerish performance 236 2 tds 1 TO

NYG SB
NE D holds NYG to 3pts thru 3 qrts. Brady was horrible barely above 50% on 49 throws for 236 1TD & 1 TO

NYG SB
NE D once again played good enough to win. Brady was once again sub-par 276 2TD's 1 Int 1 intentional grounding that led to a safety.

Seattle SB
Brady once again bailed out by the NE D. Despite Brady's 2 Ints NE D makes the goal line stand of goal line stands. How Sea didnt give it to Beastmode will be one if the biggest blunders in Super Bowl History. Brady stats 328 4Tds 2Ints (Legion of Boom Secondary desimated by injury in 2nd half)

Atl Super Bowl
One of NE D's best performances only gives up 21 pts. Overcame Brady's inept play for 3 quarters including a Pick 6. They hold Atl to 7 in 2nd half & force a turnover deep inside Atl territory to turn the game
Brady's stats 466 2Tds 1 Int

SB PHI

The one Superbowl NE D didnt play well yet Brady's dropped QB pass & late game fumble was what cost NE the game. Still Brady played good enough to win
505 3 Tds 1 fumble

LA SB

NE D allows only 3pts one of greatest defensive performances ever. Brady was absolutely horrible 254 0Tds 1 Int
This made me laugh out loud

Brady was inept the 1st 3 quarters in the Atl Super Bowl. Threw a pick 6 & only manufactured 10pts. If NE defense doesnt play lights out & hold Atl to 21 pts there is no comeback to be had.
NE pos vs Alt
1st 3 & out
2nd 9 plays punt
3rd 5 plays fumble
4th 3 & out
5th Pick 6
6th FG
7th 3 & out
8th TD
9th NE D forces fumble at 25 leads to TD

Seattle despite throwing 2 Ints NE D held Seattle to 14 pts in 1st half & 10pts in 2nd including game winning goalline stand. Defense won that game for NE Brady was not good
NE defense held opponents to 24 pts or less in 7 of 9 Superbowls
Brady manufactored 17pts or less in 4 Super Bowls & yet NE was still 2-2 in those games.
Stop man. You are clueless

Stop man. You are clueless
Clueless because I pointed out that Brady was a game manager in the majority of his Superbowls?
4 SuperBowls Brady manufactored
13 pts Stl
13 pts LA
14 pts NYG
17 pts NYG
5 Superbowl under 300 yards
8 Superbowls Brady had atleast 1 Turnover
2 Superbowls he didnt have a TD pass
But continue with your circle jerk.

“Your facts are wrong. The year before Brady was a starter the Pats were 5 and 11. The year he took over they were 0 and 2. Bb was on the hot seat at 5 and 13 to start so not a true statement by you. Craig was a fullback because tyler was good and they formed a nasty one two punch. Don't forget eric wright and Ronnie lott and that secondary was awesome

49ers were loaded offensively and defensively.”

My facts aren’t wrong, golson. The patriots had 43 wins the 5 years prior to Brady w/ only 1 losing season (5-11). The niners had 22 wins the 5 years prior to Montana w/ only 1 winning season (8-6) & had back to back 2-14 seasons right before montana took over. The patriots were setup better but I’m not doing w/ this w/ you because you’re trying to make it look as though I don’t think Brady is the best ever. I think it’s close between him and Montana. You said it’s not close, that’s where I disagree w/ you.

“Your facts are wrong. The year before Brady was a starter the Pats were 5 and 11. The year he took over they were 0 and 2. Bb was on the hot seat at 5 and 13 to start so not a true statement by you. Craig was a fullback because tyler was good and they formed a nasty one two punch. Don't forget eric wright and Ronnie lott and that secondary was awesome

49ers were loaded offensively and defensively.”

My facts aren’t wrong, golson. The patriots had 43 wins the 5 years prior to Brady w/ only 1 losing season (5-11). The niners had 22 wins the 5 years prior to Montana w/ only 1 winning season (8-6) & had back to back 2-14 seasons right before montana took over. The patriots were setup better but I’m not doing w/ this w/ you because you’re trying to make it look as though I don’t think Brady is the best ever. I think it’s close between him and Montana. You said it’s not close, that’s where I disagree w/ you.
5 years back means nothing. The year prior to his arrival and BB first year 5 and 11. Started yr two at 0 and 2.

5 and 13 BB was when Tom took over

Clueless because I pointed out that Brady was a game manager in the majority of his Superbowls?
4 SuperBowls Brady manufactored
13 pts Stl
13 pts LA
14 pts NYG
17 pts NYG
5 Superbowl under 300 yards
8 Superbowls Brady had atleast 1 Turnover
2 Superbowls he didnt have a TD pass
But continue with your circle jerk.
328 yards 4 tds against legendary Seattle D that shut out Peyton Manning the year before. And Brady gave NE the lead and seattle drove the field in a hurry to the 2 yard line

Brady gave pats D the lead with 3 minutes left in both NYG SBs. Defense gave up gw touchdown in both superbowls or hed have 8 SBs

505 yards is a playoff record. 33 points is most scored in SB loss.

You can twist anything up. Hes been beyond great

328 yards 4 tds against legendary Seattle D that shut out Peyton Manning the year before. And Brady gave NE the lead and seattle drove the field in a hurry to the 2 yard line

Brady gave pats D the lead with 3 minutes left in both NYG SBs. Defense gave up gw touchdown in both superbowls or hed have 8 SBs

505 yards is a playoff record. 33 points is most scored in SB loss.

You can twist anything up. Hes been beyond great
You said Brady is the Greatest Athlete in history I said he was more like Bill Russell (not an insult) I pointed out that Brady wasnt revolutionary & in fact more of a game manager in the majority of Super Bowl which he was. He was clutch when he needed to be but his Defense gave him the opportunies
As for NYG game the Pats D held the Giants to just 3 points thru 3 quarters. Brady should have had that game wrapped up by the 4th.
In a 3rd of Brady's Superbowl the NE D held it's opp. To 3 points the 1st 3 quarters
Stl 3 points plus a Ty Law pick 6 return
LA 3 pts
NYG 3 pts
Carolina they held them to 10 pts plus caused a fumble inside Carolina's own 30 that led to a score.
Atl Brady not only didnt manufactor pts early he threw a pick 6. If NE Defense didnt play lights out there is no way Brady is able to lead a comeback.

You said Brady is the Greatest Athlete in history I said he was more like Bill Russell (not an insult) I pointed out that Brady wasnt revolutionary & in fact more of a game manager in the majority of Super Bowl which he was. He was clutch when he needed to be but his Defense gave him the opportunies
As for NYG game the Pats D held the Giants to just 3 points thru 3 quarters. Brady should have had that game wrapped up by the 4th.
In a 3rd of Brady's Superbowl the NE D held it's opp. To 3 points the 1st 3 quarters
Stl 3 points plus a Ty Law pick 6 return
LA 3 pts
NYG 3 pts
Carolina they held them to 10 pts plus caused a fumble inside Carolina's own 30 that led to a score.
Atl Brady not only didnt manufactor pts early he threw a pick 6. If NE Defense didnt play lights out there is no way Brady is able to lead a comeback.
All time leader in reg season touchdowns, playoff touchdowns and super bowl touchdowns. And just about every other record.

The comp to Russell doesnt make sense. Russell averaged like 15 ppg. Brady is number 1 in touchdowns. Thats more like Kareem.

Hes been great in reg season, playoffs and super bowls

“5 years back means nothing. The year prior to his arrival and BB first year 5 and 11. Started yr two at 0 and 2.

5 and 13 BB was when Tom took over”

And the niners were 2-14 two years in a row; the pats had more wins in the year before Brady (5) than the the niners had in the two seasons before Montana (4), so how were my facts wrong again?

You're trying to have it both ways.

Pats Defense Holds for 3 quarters? Brady didn't really win it, defense did.
Opponents Defense holds for 3 quarters? Brady didn't really win it.

It's understood that the superbowl should feature an above average defense. Very rarely does a contender get to the championship game winning shootouts.

Reactions: Golson5
“5 years back means nothing. The year prior to his arrival and BB first year 5 and 11. Started yr two at 0 and 2.

5 and 13 BB was when Tom took over”

And the niners were 2-14 two years in a row; the pats had more wins in the year before Brady (5) than the the niners had in the two seasons before Montana (4), so how were my facts wrong again?
Because this is your exact quote

"Brady came onto the scene with a great team to start with"

Like I said your facts are wrong

You're trying to have it both ways.

Pats Defense Holds for 3 quarters? Brady didn't really win it, defense did.
Opponents Defense holds for 3 quarters? Brady didn't really win it.

It's understood that the superbowl should feature an above average defense. Very rarely does a contender get to the championship game winning shootouts.
Exactly what he's trying to do

Golson, both qbs took their teams to heights that other qbs wouldn’t have been able to, but my point was that the pats team that Brady joined was better than the niners team that joe joined initially. I shouldn’t have said Brady joined a great team, I should have said they were more accustomed to winning than the niners and were setup to win more so than those niners were. The pats had twice as many wins as the niners in the years prior to both of them taking over. Both qbs made their teams great because of how great they were. But as I said before, I’m splitting hairs on the subject and you’re saying it wasn’t close, that’s my disagreement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Telx1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT