ADVERTISEMENT

A couple of thoughts on Tom Brady. Share yours.

BodiTheGreat

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 18, 2018
If Tom loses the super bowl he will be the all time leader with super bowl losses--tied with Jim Kelly. Will this endanger his induction into Canton?
Will he get an asterisk after his name if he gets in?

Also, on the more positive side. I think there is an outside chance that Tom ends up winning just as many super bowls with Tampa then he did with New England just to spite Bill Billichik.
Tom has an incredible genetic makeup. Physically, Mentally and spiritually. I think he plays until he is fifty.

*** Those are my thoughts. He is the man of the hour. I would like to hear what the board thinks about Tom.

If Tom loses the super bowl he will be the all time leader with super bowl losses--tied with Jim Kelly. Will this endanger his induction into Canton?
Will he get an asterisk after his name if he gets in?

Also, on the more positive side. I think there is an outside chance that Tom ends up winning just as many super bowls with Tampa then he did with New England just to spite Bill Billichik.
Tom has an incredible genetic makeup. Physically, Mentally and spiritually. I think he plays until he is fifty.

*** Those are my thoughts. He is the man of the hour. I would like to hear what the board thinks about Tom.
Clearly benefited from the “hands off the QB” decades ....didn’t have to take the beatings Bradshaw, Kelly or Montana had to endure.

Thought Brady played fantastic in the first half, and not so much in the second half. Of his first half incompletions, not sure there were more than one or two that should have been incomplete. His throws were perfect spirals, on target, with either touch or great velocity as necessary. Some serious drops by his receivers. Thought He looked like a different QB in the second half, poor throws, poor reads, etc... No doubt he will enter the HoF when finished playing. He is a physical marvel, some part DNA, some part nutrition discipline, and some part conditioning. As someone who watched George Blanda play kicker And occasional QB reliever up to his late forties, Brady looks like a twenty five year old in comparison, and he’s impressive beyond words. So Bodi, we agree about his football smarts and incredible physical abilities, but I disagree about Super Bowl wins. I doubt he wins another as I think his increasing lack of mobility to extend plays keeps him from grabbing the brass ring again. I don’t particularly care if I’m right or wrong, just my take.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
I dont see an asterisk next to jim Kelly, Fran Tarkenton, 0 superbowl dan Marino, Warren moon etc for losing/ not winning sb.... nothing tarnishs 6 sb rings, well except committing a serious crime. He played well enough to get to another superbowl at 43. That is a major accomplishment. He is adding to his luster.
I think you forgot fran lost 4 superbowls before jim.

Reactions: Kelso86
I dont see an asterisk next to jim Kelly, Fran Tarkenton, 0 superbowl dan Marino, Warren moon etc for losing/ not winning sb.... nothing tarnishs 6 sb rings, well except committing a serious crime. He played well enough to get to another superbowl at 43. That is a major accomplishment. He is adding to his luster.
I think you forgot fran lost 4 superbowls before jim.

I believe Tarkenton QB for only 3 of the Vikings losses; Joe Kapp for the other.

Reactions: tkirish
As much as I hate Tom Brady and anything Michigan , he is far and away the greatest football player of all time. Better then Jim Brown, Joe Montana, Walter Payton, LT and Jerry Rice.

As much as I hate Tom Brady and anything Michigan , he is far and away the greatest football player of all time. Better then Jim Brown, Joe Montana, Walter Payton, LT and Jerry Rice.
Nope. Not far and away; certainly a contender. Look at some film of those players and understand football if you can.

Clearly benefited from the “hands off the QB” decades ....didn’t have to take the beatings Bradshaw, Kelly or Montana had to endure.
Since 1978, the game has changed immensely with rule changes designed to help the offense and hinder the defense.

Especially in the last 10-15 years.

Look at games played in the 70's and compare them with now.

DBs used to be able to mug - and I mean that literally - the WRs.

Defensive linemen used to be able to head slap the O linemen; and I ain't talking no love tap!

And you could truly lay out the QB and any other player without a flag.

Tom Brady has been the beneficiary of all those rule changes. I can tell you for a fact he would not have been playing in his 40's back then. George Blanda the last 10 years of his career was a KICKER.

Reactions: francade
Not only is he the greatest QB of all-time, IMHO he is in the top 10 professional athletes of all- time. He has the ability to make every player better

Reactions: romulator
I call bullshit that it’s not even close. Montana could’ve been 6-3 w/ those pats teams too. The rules nowadays make it much much easier for the offense.

Thought Brady played fantastic in the first half, and not so much in the second half. Of his first half incompletions, not sure there were more than one or two that should have been incomplete. His throws were perfect spirals, on target, with either touch or great velocity as necessary. Some serious drops by his receivers. Thought He looked like a different QB in the second half, poor throws, poor reads, etc... No doubt he will enter the HoF when finished playing. He is a physical marvel, some part DNA, some part nutrition discipline, and some part conditioning. As someone who watched George Blanda play kicker And occasional QB reliever up to his late forties, Brady looks like a twenty five year old in comparison, and he’s impressive beyond words. So Bodi, we agree about his football smarts and incredible physical abilities, but I disagree about Super Bowl wins. I doubt he wins another as I think his increasing lack of mobility to extend plays keeps him from grabbing the brass ring again. I don’t particularly care if I’m right or wrong, just my take.

I will bet you that Tom Brady will win the super bowl against the chiefs. Strictly a "gentlemens bet". No drama just bragging rights.
Tampa Bays defense is playing at a higher level then when they played the chiefs earlier this season and they only lost by 3 points.

*** To the board.--- I like Tom Brady because he would smile at my post. Aaron Rodgers would scowl. That is one of the reasons Tom Brady has won so many super bowls. He accepts people as they are and he is a great team mate. He makes everyone around him play harder.

Greatest football player ever and its not that close

Lawrence
Since 1978, the game has changed immensely with rule changes designed to help the offense and hinder the defense.

Especially in the last 10-15 years.

Look at games played in the 70's and compare them with now.

DBs used to be able to mug - and I mean that literally - the WRs.

Defensive linemen used to be able to head slap the O linemen; and I ain't talking no love tap!

And you could truly lay out the QB and any other player without a flag.

Tom Brady has been the beneficiary of all those rule changes. I can tell you for a fact he would not have been playing in his 40's back then. George Blanda the last 10 years of his career was a KICKER.

But everyone plays by the same rules. Why has no other QB been in ten super bowls in the Tom Brady era other than Tom Brady?

*** And every QB has help. Terry Bradshaw had the Steel Curtain, Franco Harris, Stallworth, and Lyn Swan with his acrobatic catches.

*** Now Otto Graham could also be considered for being the goat because he went to ten Championship games (the super bowl of that era) in a row and won seven of them. Except there were less teams.

Bodi, I will take that bet and if I lose i will not post on this board til ND football season starts lol no one will miss me lol if you lose no posting til ND season starts, your welcome rest of this board.
I actually hope bucs win for bruce arians but i will go for the cheifs for this bet

Greatest QB ever and nobody close. He became a diva in his last couple of years. I think his wife became a greater influence in his career. I like the Chiefs in the Super Bowl.

Bodi, I will take that bet and if I lose i will not post on this board til ND football season starts lol no one will miss me lol if you lose no posting til ND season starts, your welcome rest of this board.
I actually hope bucs win for bruce arians but i will go for the cheifs for this bet

I didn't bet you. I made a "gentlemens bet with a friend. I thought you were a friend. I guess not. Self ban yourself if you want to.. It seems to be the rage in Canada.

Reactions: Pennick4
Nope. Not far and away; certainly a contender. Look at some film of those players and understand football if you can.

I understand football and I realize football is different now then the 70’s and 80’s. But who would you put as better? 10 Super Bowls and a bunch of records playing 21 years and more. Who is better?

Reactions: Golson5
I call bullshit that it’s not even close. Montana could’ve been 6-3 w/ those pats teams too. The rules nowadays make it much much easier for the offense.
Joe had Rice and company. Tom had no one except Moss and that was only for a couple of years. Who did Tom have to throw too in NE? Any good RBs? No. Sorry I hate Brady put he is the best.

I will bet you that Tom Brady will win the super bowl against the chiefs. Strictly a "gentlemens bet". No drama just bragging rights.
Tampa Bays defense is playing at a higher level then when they played the chiefs earlier this season and they only lost by 3 points.

*** To the board.--- I like Tom Brady because he would smile at my post. Aaron Rodgers would scowl. That is one of the reasons Tom Brady has won so many super bowls. He accepts people as they are and he is a great team mate. He makes everyone around him play harder.
You’re on Bodi! If Brady wins I’ll drink a dram or two of Jameson Black Barrel Irish whiskey in his honor; if the Chief’s win, I’ll drink a dram or two of Jameson’s Black Barrel Irish Whiskey In their honor! No silly chest pounding bet that the loser leaves the Board.
Both Tampa Bay’s and Kansas City’s defenses are playing at a higher level than earlier in the season. I do think Tampa Bay’s defense will Be the difference if they win. Should be a really good game...43 yr old one of the all time greats against the 25 yr old reigning MVP.

Lawrence

But everyone plays by the same rules. Why has no other QB been in ten super bowls in the Tom Brady era other than Tom Brady?

*** And every QB has help. Terry Bradshaw had the Steel Curtain, Franco Harris, Stallworth, and Lyn Swan with his acrobatic catches.

*** Now Otto Graham could also be considered for being the goat because he went to ten Championship games (the super bowl of that era) in a row and won seven of them. Except there were less teams.
Tom Brady had BB.

“Joe had Rice and company”

Rice was only there for two. His first crew was bill ring, earl cooper, Dwight Clark, and very old Freddie Solomon and Charlie young. Plus, a couple of those early Super Bowls were more about the pats defense than offense. But, I’m not arguing that he’s not the best. But to say it’s not even close is a stretch, IMO. If joe played w/ these rules, I think he’d get close to matching Brady’s 6-3 record. I think the thing that Brady has on Montana is longevity & he didn’t miss as much time as joe. They’re 1 & 2 in my mind. Very close

You’re on Bodi! If Brady wins I’ll drink a dram or two of Jameson Black Barrel Irish whiskey in his honor; if the Chief’s win, I’ll drink a dram or two of Jameson’s Black Barrel Irish Whiskey In their honor! No silly chest pounding bet that the loser leaves the Board.
Both Tampa Bay’s and Kansas City’s defenses are playing at a higher level than earlier in the season. I do think Tampa Bay’s defense will Be the difference if they win. Should be a really good game...43 yr old one of the all time greats against the 25 yr old reigning MVP.

I will drink a ice cold bottle of Heineken if Brady wins. I will drink a cold bottle of Heineken if Mahomes wins.

*** I gave up on Malt liquor.

Last edited:
Reactions: francade and Telx1
“Joe had Rice and company”

Rice was only there for two. His first crew was bill ring, earl cooper, Dwight Clark, and very old Freddie Solomon and Charlie young. Plus, a couple of those early Super Bowls were more about the pats defense than offense. But, I’m not arguing that he’s not the best. But to say it’s not even close is a stretch, IMO. If joe played w/ these rules, I think he’d get close to matching Brady’s 6-3 record. I think the thing that Brady has on Montana is longevity & he didn’t miss as much time as joe. They’re 1 & 2 in my mind. Very close

Bill Walsh and Joe Montana revolutionized football. They moved it into the modern age. Joe may have won more superbowls if Jim Burt did not break his back. 4 and 0.

“Bill Walsh and Joe Montana revolutionized football. They moved it into the modern age. Joe may have won more superbowls if Jim Burt did not break his back. 4 and 0.”

Not saying I’d agree w/ it, but that Burt hit would’ve been a penalty today. He missed the next season because of that and then came back to win the MVP and back to back Super Bowls. Joe was so good. The niners only won one w/o him w/ very similar talent. Gun to my head, I don’t know if I take Brady over him, but it’d be a very tough choice, imho. The two best in my eyes.

“Bill Walsh and Joe Montana revolutionized football. They moved it into the modern age. Joe may have won more superbowls if Jim Burt did not break his back. 4 and 0.”

Not saying I’d agree w/ it, but that Burt hit would’ve been a penalty today. He missed the next season because of that and then came back to win the MVP and back to back Super Bowls. Joe was so good. The niners only won one w/o him w/ very similar talent. Gun to my head, I don’t know if I take Brady over him, but it’d be a very tough choice, imho. The two best in my eyes.

Those were the glory days of the NFL to me. I am a Giants fan so 1986 was my favorite year. But the Cowboys vs Sanfrancisco playoff games were classic. Joe Cool had to get through great teams like the Giants, Cowboys, or Redskins to get to the super bowl And Joe became a legend after his first super bowl win against the bengals. He was lethal in the two minute drill.

*** The 70's were also the Glory years to me. Even though the Giants sucked back then.

Brady is the most accomplished athlete of all time. The end of half last second TD vs packers is a perfect example why. Never quits. Gets every ounce out of every opportunity. And it’s just enough to be the best at that moment. For 20+ years. Amazing

Reactions: romulator

Nonsense.

Compare the size, spreed and strength of the guys hitting Brady to that of those hitting Bradshaw, Kelly and Montana.

340 pound guys who are strong as bulls who run like deer.

Brady’s credentials, his record and his age are without peer.

Clearly the greatest of all time.

And you’ll notice that he thanks his parents and family when he’s interviewed after a big game.

One of the reasons that he didn’t go to ND was the 10-10 tie with MSU in 1966

Last edited:

I will give Tom his due as the greatest player but with “ exceptions“. Saying he is the greatest QB of all time would be accurate. However, saying he is better than Jim Brown, Walter Payton, LT or Jerry Rice ? Well it’s apples and oranges. Still , I can’t help but wonder how Joe Montana, Dan Marino, John Elway or Roger Staubach would do in this NFL. I’m not taking anything away from what Brady has done. He deserves all the props he gets. But QBs in the NFL over the last 20 years or so have clearly benefited from rule changes and more of a wide open offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT